Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 12-21-2007, 08:56 AM   #41
kaos_slayer
Plufff!

THx for the help, i should look for a Marshall or Avatar
Thx again
Cheers
Old 12-22-2007, 10:37 PM   #42
amadeus_who
30 FREINDS

fyi

i was noodling around with my eq and i gotta say to those people who cant find a good eq, WTF are you doing coz it takes about 12 seconds to 2 minutes to get it going

ps this was half bump so just to keep it real

BIZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZUMP

MIA STRAT - [50TH ANNIVERSARY] ****SOON TO HAVE COOLRAILS

PEAVEY VALVEKING 100WATT HALF STACK [KILLER]
amadeus_who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 12:11 AM   #43
davebain27
Bomansville Firefighter

Im not sure what amp to get still. Im kind of leaning toward the valve king 112.

Guitar Gear:
Squier Jagmaster (killswitch, dimarzio super dist. &tone zone pups)
Digitech Rp80
Digitech death metal
Dunlop Wah

Squier Bullet

Bass:
Ibanez Sr305
Ibanez gio
Fender rumble 100
davebain27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 05:38 AM   #44
amadeus_who
30 FREINDS

its a good amp... i tried all of them (not the royal 8)

and as im reading your sig you will prolly love it, it gets excellent grunge/punk/metal sounds. i hear the speaker is weak in the 112 so maybe a speaker change is in order. the 412 cab sounds good to me but maybe the speakers were broken in when i got it

ive never regretted buying a valve king

Old 12-23-2007, 06:05 AM   #45
Eggness
UG's Egg-tarist

How does the VK compare to the Peavey Classic? I'm trying to decide on which one I will eventually buy. I'll probably be playing mostly blues style stuff on it so insane distortion isn't necessary.
Eggness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 06:09 AM   #46
amadeus_who
30 FREINDS

get the classic, the valve king is just a rock/metal machine... great cleans tho but the lead chanel is really just for rocking out really hard

others might have a better opinion since i dont really do blues

Old 12-23-2007, 06:10 AM   #47
Say Ocean
UG Addict

If you're playing blues, classic 30 hands down.
Old 12-23-2007, 06:15 AM   #48
Eggness
UG's Egg-tarist

Cool, thanks.
Eggness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 07:00 AM   #49
ECwomantoneman
The Blues-Rockin' Giant

I test drove my Les Paul through a Valveking...it sounded quite nice, especially with "brightness" turned on and a bit of reverb, got a great jazzy/BB King tone from it

And my mate just got a Valveking but he's (and I'm!!!) not allowed to play it till Xmas...
ECwomantoneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 07:36 AM   #50
sam i am
psychedelic peace warrior

I find it's distortion kinda brittle... but I've tried it with different guitars thenh my squir and it sounds a bit better...

Although I have tried putting my Multi-fx infront of it using it as an overdrive/boost and it sounds pretty damn nive so I can't wait till i get a proper overdrive.

^^^ free downloads ^^^
sam i am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 10:20 AM   #51
2_Fast_2_Vader
Registered Abuser

I just sold my VK212 combo. it's a good amp for the price range. but it's all subjective to opinion. there are equally valued amps in that price range.

if I could go back, would I buy it again? not likely. it has a good clean channel, but the overdrive channel is lacking in the end. the effects loop helped out a lot there. but I picked up a VHT Pitbull, so I had no more use for it.
2_Fast_2_Vader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 07:00 AM   #52
Def

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vet454Stang427
Great Thread!

I've owned my VK112 for about 9 months now, no regrets either. I'm just beginning to research into moding it just for fun. BTW for those of you who are interested here's an interesting link I found on the net while browsing:

http://forum.myspace.com/index.cfm?...5B9117B47844625

What do you all think, eh?

ye theres some mileage in doing that. groove tubes in the preamp did great things for the distortion on my amp. gave it an completely new smoother character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abs_n91
I like your style dude

Please visit Gillston or help boost our industry or transport network
Def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 07:25 AM   #53
sam i am
psychedelic peace warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vet454Stang427
Great Thread!

I've owned my VK112 for about 9 months now, no regrets either. I'm just beginning to research into moding it just for fun. BTW for those of you who are interested here's an interesting link I found on the net while browsing:

http://forum.myspace.com/index.cfm?...5B9117B47844625

What do you all think, eh?

soundclips?

^^^ free downloads ^^^
sam i am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 09:10 AM   #54
synth002

I have a 100w valveking head, at the time I needed a gigging rig quick so I grabbed one.

They are good amps for the money really the distortion channel is okay .. the clean is ****e.. just projects a boomy wall of sound that while super clean is totally naf for strumming chords and stuff cus its just SOO damn boomy, no breakup at all really nasty!

Recently Ive become fed up with the amp, it just sounds cheap to me the tone is cheap and live my solo's do not project well because of this, just sounds like grainy distortion, no tone. Its too loud to get a decent tone out of at home and to honest unless your playing ****ING MASSIVE venues ..(and if you are playing huge venue's you'll know they ALL have an in-house PA setup).. so who the hell needs 100w's???? REALLY?!

Now here's the good bit.. if your a kid who think's he/she is **** hot cus you can play some trivium songs or a sloppy cover of cannon rock (LMAO) this amp will rock your socks!! firstly its got 100w's of power and well 100w is more than 50w so that must mean its better right! secondly, palm mutes sound killer (who the **** sez that about an amp apart from a totall guitar newbie!!).

Seriously tho, the amp is okay if you NEED 2 channel amp in a hurry and you plan to step up...or ....if your some kid who think's your "killer" because you can play some trivium or lamb of god but yet as far as theory and lead, all you can do is mangle your way through the first shape of a minor pentatonic and bend a few notes out of tune.. NICE!.. But yeh its killer for palm mutes..
synth002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 09:13 AM   #55
synth002

Sorry bout that im currently doing my nut trying to choose between a rack system or a proper amp.. ahhh!
Old 12-26-2007, 09:43 AM   #56
H4T3BR33D3R
UG's Poison Mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by synth002
I have a 100w valveking head, at the time I needed a gigging rig quick so I grabbed one.

They are good amps for the money really the distortion channel is okay .. the clean is ****e.. just projects a boomy wall of sound that while super clean is totally naf for strumming chords and stuff cus its just SOO damn boomy, no breakup at all really nasty!

Recently Ive become fed up with the amp, it just sounds cheap to me the tone is cheap and live my solo's do not project well because of this, just sounds like grainy distortion, no tone. Its too loud to get a decent tone out of at home and to honest unless your playing ****ING MASSIVE venues ..(and if you are playing huge venue's you'll know they ALL have an in-house PA setup).. so who the hell needs 100w's???? REALLY?!

Now here's the good bit.. if your a kid who think's he/she is **** hot cus you can play some trivium songs or a sloppy cover of cannon rock (LMAO) this amp will rock your socks!! firstly its got 100w's of power and well 100w is more than 50w so that must mean its better right! secondly, palm mutes sound killer (who the **** sez that about an amp apart from a totall guitar newbie!!).

Seriously tho, the amp is okay if you NEED 2 channel amp in a hurry and you plan to step up...or ....if your some kid who think's your "killer" because you can play some trivium or lamb of god but yet as far as theory and lead, all you can do is mangle your way through the first shape of a minor pentatonic and bend a few notes out of tune.. NICE!.. But yeh its killer for palm mutes..

The great wall of text... Purdy.

Maybe people like their palm mutes? I was thinking of picking up a Valveking for a metal rhythm tone and A/Bing it with my Laney for leads. I mean, not only total guitar newbies like a really tight tone for palm muting. Who wants flabby Superlead bass when you're rocking out some "killer" (As you put it ) metal songs? Maybe you were expecting more out of the thing but I mean, it's a 400 dollar budget amplifier, if your expectations were so high, why didn't you pick up something else in the store instead of whining in a guitar forum? Cheers!

But, I did just eat some pizza so I am quite fartsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelfox
Dude i like rap and stuff. Im a furry and I also have a wolf plush with a hole that i use at times.

Only at times, though.

Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R : 12-26-2007 at 11:30 AM.
H4T3BR33D3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 10:13 AM   #57
synth002

LoL okay so I went a lil OTT.. Ive used the amp for almost a year for gigging but now I want sumthing better.. its okay for a first head but as you listen to more music play more you mitght find yourself wanting/needing to step up
Old 12-26-2007, 10:15 AM   #58
C40.is.hot
2nd Wind.

My opinions on the VK212 and VK112 are completely different. The 112 sounds like total ass and the cleans are sterile. The 212, though, is a real beast. The cleans are really warm sounding while the gain is pretty much great for classic rock. I put in a tubescreamer infront of it and achieved a really heavy metal tone with half an hour of fiddling. New speakers and tubes can turn these amps into real, giggable monsters. If I didn't find a Marshall JTM60 for way less than the price of a VK212, I would've gone for one instead.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:28 AM   #59
kaos_slayer
Plufff!

Agreed.
I think with the right tubes on a VK 212 or Head this amp can go to another level.
BTW, the guys on the "mosh pit" wouldn't care about the crappy tone, and if u're something huge in a crowd of 10000 people only few will focus on your tone and stuff, but is just an opinion.
Cheers
Old 12-26-2007, 11:48 PM   #60
amadeus_who
30 FREINDS

im gonna play around with the tubes eventually - im not over the amp and ive had it for more than enough time to be sick of it

theres tons of threads round here about what tubes to swap out

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread: