Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Classic Rock
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 07-09-2009, 12:49 PM   #241
Led Pepplin
Herp Derp
 
Led Pepplin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by KISSguitarist
I disagree with you as you are just close minded towards nowadays.

They are coming out with a new album that only the 4 of them are doing.

This might be a great album.

But it may not be the same without Peter/Ace but still the fact that they are still doing it is what does it for me and when they still do it it makes people look it up on youtube and go oh I like that song I might go buy an album etc... Then they get into KISS personally I think all in all it is good.


The fact is, they are not a band of their word. They are liars. They said they were never going back in the studio. Now what are they doing? Releasing a new album. The Farewell tour was supposedly a farewell. Was it? No, it wasn't. They just need to stop. This album is not going to sell. Tommy and Eric have taken on the Spaceman and Catman characters, which I disagree with. Peter and Ace only left because of the farewell tour in the first place. Without them, it is not KISS.

I'd be impressed if they could do a tour like the Animalize tour again. Those shows were fantastic,even without Ace and Peter. But with Makeup KISS, you need Ace and Peter.

Edit: Regarding your signature, Ace can read notation.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormx
I tremble before your enormous penis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by molala2
and i farted, it was really stink
Quote:
Originally Posted by italiarlz135
Led Pepplin, you are god because of this thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh999x, Brick23



Last edited by Led Pepplin : 07-09-2009 at 12:51 PM.
Led Pepplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 11:32 AM   #242
KISSguitarist
‏‏‏
 
KISSguitarist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Perth, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Pepplin
The fact is, they are not a band of their word. They are liars. They said they were never going back in the studio. Now what are they doing? Releasing a new album. The Farewell tour was supposedly a farewell. Was it? No, it wasn't. They just need to stop. This album is not going to sell. Tommy and Eric have taken on the Spaceman and Catman characters, which I disagree with. Peter and Ace only left because of the farewell tour in the first place. Without them, it is not KISS.

I'd be impressed if they could do a tour like the Animalize tour again. Those shows were fantastic,even without Ace and Peter. But with Makeup KISS, you need Ace and Peter.

Edit: Regarding your signature, Ace can read notation.


No he can't.

The farewell tour was a farewell to with the final band members.

I don't agree with them using the same makeup but still atleast they are still touring.

It would be awesome if they could do a Animalize tour.
__________________

Gear
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Carvin V3 and Marhall 1960A cab
2 B.C. Rich Ironbird Pro
Schecter Hellraiser 6
Boss ML-2

KISSguitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 01:28 PM   #243
Led Pepplin
Herp Derp
 
Led Pepplin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by KISSguitarist
No he can't.

The farewell tour was a farewell to with the final band members.

I don't agree with them using the same makeup but still atleast they are still touring.

It would be awesome if they could do a Animalize tour.


He can. Look it up.

No it wasn't. Ace left because he thought it was the final KISS tour. Same goes for Peter.

They should stop touring because they said they would.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormx
I tremble before your enormous penis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by molala2
and i farted, it was really stink
Quote:
Originally Posted by italiarlz135
Led Pepplin, you are god because of this thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh999x, Brick23


Led Pepplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 09:38 PM   #244
CaptDin
Rebel Without A Pause
 
CaptDin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: TN
Personally, I agree with the people saying that makeup-KISS without Ace and Peter is just wrong. But it would be cool if they did a tour without the makeup (and possibly got Bruce Kulick back on guitar?), and played some of the older songs from their 80s albums that they haven't played in a while, like "Thrills In The Night", "Who Wants to be Lonely", "Reason to Live", "Let's Put the X in Sex".... I'd say more but I think they still play their bigger hits from that era like "Tears Are Falling", "Lick it Up", "Heaven's On Fire", "Forever".... 80s KISS is underrated IMHO. But I've heard that Gene Simmons dislikes those albums, so I guess it's just a dream...
CaptDin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 04:19 AM   #245
Butt Rayge
UG Resident
 
Butt Rayge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ice Kingdom, Land of Ooo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Pepplin
The fact is, they are not a band of their word. They are liars. They said they were never going back in the studio. Now what are they doing? Releasing a new album. The Farewell tour was supposedly a farewell. Was it? No, it wasn't. They just need to stop.

They aren't the only artists to do this...

Ever heard of John Farnham? He does a farewell tour every year...
Butt Rayge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 05:44 PM   #246
Rocker_94
Eh?
 
Rocker_94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
I think it's about time for someone to bump up this thread, as it has been long lost and forgotten. I can't really say I've ever been a big Kiss fan, but I have recently discovered a new love, and went out and bought Sonic Boom a day or two after it came out, and I loved it.

Any opinions on the album from you KISS fans?
__________________
UG's AC/DC Lover
Rocker_94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 12:07 AM   #247
dimarzio77
BAMF
 
dimarzio77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Duluth
So, I have never liked Kiss.............. and I don't know why. I don't really know their music and I don't care for thier costumes. I am here to be converted into a Kiss fan. Give me all of your reasons and songs to convince me that they are great. I am being serious. I will be opened minded. I will listen to songs you suggest, read interesting articles you tell me about,..... impress me. I'm not here to disrespect them, just to enlighten myself.
dimarzio77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 12:08 AM   #248
Rocker_94
Eh?
 
Rocker_94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
It's good to see open minded people with their music these days. I'm not quite sure how to tell you reasons why you should like Kiss, because that's up to you. I started listening to them a lot more this summer because of that contest to get Kiss to your city, and I know someone that saw them live elsewhere and said it was awesome.

The reason why I never really liked Kiss was the lack of quality on their recordings, but yet again this is the 70s and they weren't rich in the early days. I also never really gave them a chance due to so many people bashing them, saying that Paul and Gene are just money grabbers and that the band sucked since Ace and Peter left. I don't think that's quite the case, but I don't really need to go into details.

I'm not quite sure what to recommend because I don't know what your musical interests are, and Kiss are very versatile. I like the fact that all of the band members can sing, so maybe check out some stuff from every band member on lead vocals.

For Ace Frehley, his solo album (from 1978, when all Kiss members released solo albums) is really good. The best songs from that are probably Rip It Out or Speedin' Back to my Baby, or some say it's New York Groove (which is a cover). From regular Kiss, he does a cover of 2000 Man really well in my opinion and Shock Me is pretty good.

For the (original) drummer, Peter Criss, check out Black Diamond, Beth, Hard Luck Woman and Nothin' to Lose. His solo album is apparently the worse from them all, but it all comes down to personal taste. It's very jazz influenced.

Paul and Gene sing most of the songs, so it would be hard for me to recommend a few, just just for fun, for Gene, listen to Calling Dr. Love, War Machine, I Love It Loud, Cold Gin, Deuce, just to name a few. For Paul, Love Gun, I Was Made for Loving You, Strutter, Forever (that's a power ballad), Lick It Up.

I don't know, this is just off the top of my head. I'd suggest looking up some lists of for example "The Top 100 Best Kiss Songs" or something like that. Or check out their Greatest Hits CDs if you want, or their Live CDs. Or if you want to hear something a little different, check out their MTV Unplugged concert. I think some of that stuff is really good. I'd also suggest to stay away from anything from the Music from the Elder album. It's weird and a bad attempt at making a concept album.
__________________
UG's AC/DC Lover
Rocker_94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 08:27 AM   #249
kickstartkiss
Registered User
 
kickstartkiss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Leeds, West yorkshire UK
changing the subject...... European tour anyone?

two tickets for manchester

cannot wait, even though its not ace and peter, and will be a lot of sonic boom material, its KISS live.

anyone else off, i dont know how many europeans frequent this thread.

rock on
__________________
If its Illegal to Rock N Roll.........Throw my Ass in Jail!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robchappers
Ha ha yes I recognize you mate!

kickstartkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 06:55 AM   #250
David Sertl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Gonna see them in Vienna in May Still need to get tickets though. And Sonic Boom.
David Sertl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 09:49 PM   #251
edge11
KICKASS!
 
edge11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: san diego
Went to see kiss alive 35 in san diego, sickest show ever!!!!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
edge11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 07:37 AM   #252
kickstartkiss
Registered User
 
kickstartkiss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Leeds, West yorkshire UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by edge11
Went to see kiss alive 35 in san diego, sickest show ever!!!!


i caught them at download as part of alive 35, great show

i think the sonic boom tour will beat that show though, reading a lot of interviews it seems pauls pretty pscyced to play here
__________________
If its Illegal to Rock N Roll.........Throw my Ass in Jail!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robchappers
Ha ha yes I recognize you mate!

kickstartkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 10:52 PM   #253
KISSguitarist
‏‏‏
 
KISSguitarist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Perth, Australia
Hopefully they come to AUS
__________________

Gear
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Carvin V3 and Marhall 1960A cab
2 B.C. Rich Ironbird Pro
Schecter Hellraiser 6
Boss ML-2

KISSguitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 01:37 AM   #254
slipknot5678
Cockblockatoo
 
slipknot5678's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
This thread has way too much KISS hate, if you don't like them get the **** out. So, I only like a few of their really famous songs, what other songs/albums should I look into?
slipknot5678 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 08:22 AM   #255
blankoff
Hello :)
 
blankoff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Retford, Nottinghamshire, England, UK
just got my tickets in the post today!!!!!!!! i cant wait, and it's in May. Also im quite liking the new album, Tommy and eric's songs are 2 of my favourites, and i dont care what people say about tommy and eric "replacing" Ace and peter, because there doing a hell of a job, and it must take alot of courage to step into someones shoes like that and deal with all the hate.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by uk.mace
This man is smart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar-guy69
you spelt colors wrong


Tweet me bro.

Last edited by blankoff : 12-20-2009 at 08:27 AM.
blankoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 08:32 AM   #256
blankoff
Hello :)
 
blankoff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Retford, Nottinghamshire, England, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknot5678
This thread has way too much KISS hate, if you don't like them get the **** out. So, I only like a few of their really famous songs, what other songs/albums should I look into?


Definitely Revenge, Rock n roll over, Love Gun, Carnival of Souls, KISS, Dressed to Kill, Hotter Than Hell.
Song wise i'd say Goin Blind,Unholy, Spit,Carr jam 1981,Strutter,Cmon and love me,She,Deuce,Tears are falling,Heaven's on fire,Hate,I walk alone, nowhere to run, only you, world without heroes etc... i could go on all day but try some of these and im sure you'll be a good fan in no time.

PS sorry about double post
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by uk.mace
This man is smart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar-guy69
you spelt colors wrong


Tweet me bro.
blankoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 10:29 PM   #257
ExtraFeatures
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Saw KISS in November and at the end of one of their songs some fireworks go off and part of the roof caught on fire. While they were extinguishing the fire they played "Fire house"
ExtraFeatures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 01:44 AM   #258
blackjackmatt
Don't count your cards
 
blackjackmatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
never knew what the big deal was till I saw them play at a local venue this summer. Sweet lord they blew my mind.
blackjackmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 02:44 PM   #259
loudog93
Banned
 
loudog93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009


you see that bass gene is using? i used it in a show not too long ago. His exact same bass. The one he is holding.
loudog93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 04:20 PM   #260
ColdGin
Look Ma, No Tonic !
 
ColdGin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Geneva, Choc&Cheese-Land
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimarzio77
So, I have never liked Kiss.............. and I don't know why. I don't really know their music and I don't care for thier costumes. I am here to be converted into a Kiss fan. Give me all of your reasons and songs to convince me that they are great. I am being serious. I will be opened minded.


I grew up as a teen in the 70s. Found nothing in Kiss then that made them interesting. Their outfits got in the way of knowing them better when they worked their way to world fame. Was also bothered then by their upbeat, cheerful party style which didn't exactly match my idea then of serious music worth listening to (for ref: Santana, Jeff Beck, Tommy Bolin, Led Zep, Deep Purple, Uriah Heep, Clapton...).

I took the 80s, disco and mucky synth dominated music production for me to look back and figure what Kiss was really about.

Stage act and marketing aside, what I discovered was a band of hard-working aspiring musicians, who painfully crafted their own songs, and who didn't take things too seriously until the kind of money involved blew out of proportion and blew up the band in 1980.

Eventually, after some serious listening, you'll start liking some songs more than others, and realize they really wrote original tunes and had their own signature musical style and sound.

At this point, you probably haven't turned in a Kiss fan, but you'll reckon you can't ignore them when bringing up rock'n'roll in the 70s, on par with other big acts like Aerosmith, Foreigner or Van Halen, and may even find yourself humming 2 or 3 of their songs.

Incidentally, both Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley have often said that their biggest music influence was the Beatles.

My fav Kiss tune is "Sure know something". The lyrics are cheeze-grease dripping awful but the groove is abominably infectious.

Happy listening.

Edit: To help you save time, I don't think worth listening to anything Kiss released after The Elder, except perhaps the Unplugged.

Last edited by ColdGin : 01-14-2010 at 10:04 PM.
ColdGin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:27 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.