Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-05-2008, 09:29 AM   #1
'57Strat
Stratman

Peavey Classic Users Group

It's time for a thread specifically about this amp. It shows up in many, many threads from those who either have them, or those considering getting them. Seems those of us with them should share.

I've been playing for 40 years, through a variety of Fenders, Crate, Hiwatt, Kustom and Marshall amps, some small and some huge, some timid and some intimidating. I play hard and classic rock, blues, alternative and 70s style british rock (Wishbone Ash, Savoy Brown, T-Rex, etal). I play primarily Fender strats, but also use an Ibanez SZ520QM and a 335 Dot. I've learned over many years of playing and performing that the number of watts your amp puts out is not as important as how it delivers those watts, and primarily, the tone you can milk out of it. So, very, very little use of pedals anymore . . . . . . just straight ahead axe to amp. That's the space where you quickly find out if you have the chops or not.

The Classic 30 - designed by Peavey after an older Vox AC30 - need much more be said? Built like a tank, very quiet even when cranked, luscious creamy vibe to paint peeling shred, and able to melt your heart at club volume if you love a good blues turn. Handsome in tweed, and downright gorgeous paired with the matching Classic 112E extension cabinet. Soundmen will tell you that a good mic on a Classic 30 is indeed classic, and 30 Peavey tube watts provides a bigger boatload of volume than most will ever need until your Wembley gig, when you might want 2.

I love other amps too so don't despair. This little jewel deserves it's own space. Any comments on tubes others have discovered they matched with it well, or control settings to share? I've still got stock tubes in mine believe it or not (a 2002 USA unit), and believe in the stock speakers for the amp and 112E too. Any thoughts? Anyone else playing an Ibanez SZ520QM through a Classic 30? Talk about tone!

Last edited by '57Strat : 03-30-2008 at 08:23 AM. Reason: New Title
'57Strat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 09:37 AM   #2
Svea_Trollblod
In Metal We Trust

Is the classic a tube amp? or is it digital or something, i cand see the difference in a tube amp and a digital amp. not to talk about transistor amps, Does this amp only have tubes or something, and if it does, does it deliver better sound when using tubes only?
Old 01-05-2008, 09:49 AM   #3
Don_Humpador
UG Monkey

Location: battles in built demons on a daily basis. Doesn't know what to do with his life. Is ever hoping. Was also once I.O.T.M's e-wife, though that ended in suspicious circumstances. We don't talk about that any more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svea_Trollblod
Is the classic a tube amp? or is it digital or something, i cand see the difference in a tube amp and a digital amp. not to talk about transistor amps, Does this amp only have tubes or something, and if it does, does it deliver better sound when using tubes only?

Please read the stickies.

'57 Strat, I have one too. They're awesome amps

I'll post some pics, hopefully fairly soon.
Don_Humpador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 11:07 AM   #4
slatsmania
downright dinosaurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by '57Strat
The Classic 30 - designed by Peavey after an older Vox AC30 - need much more be said?

I have one. Basically it serves as the backup to my AC30.

It's a great amp for a variety of reasons. It's got a great sound, and it's also small, light, and portable for such a powerful amp. I've still got the stock tubes and speaker in mine, so I can't add too much there.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj1565
i love you slats.
slatsmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 11:07 AM   #5
jj1565
Officially Knighted

Location: NewYork ............................... Hot Chick guitahh playah ~~teh sexay
i like classic 30's, i think they are good, but a little specific. especially without pedals.

personally i like AC30s better, but it's all about finding the right amp for you.

good luck, congrats.

edit: Gahhh Slats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
jj1565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 11:13 PM   #6
'57Strat
Stratman

Svea - it's a tube amp . . . . . . 30 pure tube watts of rompin' stompin' hell when combined with the Classic 112E cabinet.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:18 PM   #7
zeppelinpage4
1-800-GOLDEN-GOD

Location: Hopping over the Misty Mountains, I fly Dazed And Confused, on my way to California. Where I search for TheHeartbreaker's Houses Of The Holy.
I don't have a Classic 30...

But I do have a Classic 50.

Only had it for over a month now and it's my first real tube amp. Hasn't let me down yet.

The set up is just Epiphone LP>Vox Wah>Classic 50...the versatility of the amp is amazing and the drive is pretty good at lower volumes. For the price, especially used these amps seem great.

Edit: I suppose this would be the best place to ask, how do you guys compare the Classic 30 to the 50?
Do the 20 watts make much of a difference? And is the 30 any better? Cause GC were trying to clear out the 50's when I bought mine.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows

Last edited by zeppelinpage4 : 01-05-2008 at 11:22 PM.
zeppelinpage4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 06:28 PM   #8
'57Strat
Stratman

Zep, back to you

Basically you have the bigger brother. Great amp too. Good for you. Did you get the combo 2x12, combo 4x10, or a head and separate cabinet? Black or tweed? Used, or new? If used, stock tubes? Just curious and glad to converse with a Peavey Classic brother. You are now part of a very well protected secret, which is . . these amps are killer!

The 50 watt classic just has a little more oomph . . . . headroom, which doesn't necessarily translate into dbs, but does help. If you plan to play out a lot, and loud, you've made a great choice. Heck, you've made a great choice period! Should match up well with your Epi. I have a friend that plays rockabilly with a Gretsch through a 4x10 50, and another that pushes the blues through a 2x12 50 with strats. Very, very nice amps.

Peavey mde a Classic 115E extension cabinet, designed to match up to the Classic 50, which you might consider. All I've seen have been in tweed. The 115E is NOT a bass cab, but rather designed to provide some extra range and muscle to the Classic 50. Check this link out for some good pix of one:

http://glasgow.vivastreet.co.uk/mus...how_pics6223755

Now, if you want to jump to the really big muscle check out the Classic 100, and 4/12 cab. Not for the faint of heart.

Cheers.

K

Last edited by '57Strat : 01-06-2008 at 06:31 PM.
Old 01-06-2008, 06:56 PM   #9
rageandlove04
Get it?

I have a Classic 30. I'm playing either an Ibanez 335 copy or a modded Fender Mustang through it and I find that this amp is perfect for me. 30 tube watts really carries, it's very portable and it sounds great.

I also just retubed with JJ EL84's and JJ 12AX7's. I only bought the JJ preamp tubes because I found them really cheap, I was originally shooting for Tung-Sols or Electro Harmonix. Overall, the amp sounds better on low volumes as well as cranked. The JJ preamp tubes are noticeably darker than the Sovteks, but that's kind of what I was looking for anyway. I should note that the retube was not necessary; the Classic 30 is a great amp all stock, but better tubes do make a difference.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:49 PM   #10
jof1029
GO HOKIES!

i love my classic 30, and tho ive still got stock tubes and speaker, ill probably change them out this summer. doesnt really need the change, but i hear that swapping out the speaker helps it sound a good bit better.

i do usually use a bunch of pedals with mine, but thats mostly cause i like having all the options at my feet. it takes pedals very well, much better than other amps ive tried. and yet, even when i dont use pedals it still sounds amazing (or perhaps better).

I have donated 3920 grains of rice!
jof1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 09:56 PM   #11
Iceman 420
UG's Poke-Penguin

Got my Classic 50 when they were clearing them out too. But if they didn't, I'd of course go with the Classic 30. For the music I'm playing at the moment, I have no need for any pedals really, so it's just straight guitar to amp. Don't really ever need to buy another amp, even when I do do metal, an OD pedal would fix that. It's a 212, and if anything, I might sell it and get a Classic 30 half-stack. Not that I need too, but I like the look of half-stacks.
Keeley TS808
BBE Free Fuzz
Fulltone Clyde Deluxe
MXR Carbon Copy
Peavey Classic 50
Ovation Ultra 1528

"There are only two types of rock guitarists: Jeff Beck and everyone else."
-Mio Akiyama (K-ON!)
Iceman 420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 10:03 PM   #12
yeahyeah
Better Get Hit In Yo Soul

I used to own a Classic 50 and I loved that amp, for the price (used) it cannot be beat.
I ended up selling it and buying an AC30 which I do prefer but I miss the reverb and extra gain that the classic had
yeahyeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 10:12 PM   #13
strat212

I have a classic 30, and havn't reeaally cranked it since I bought it almost a year ago, but hopefully i'll be able to push it volume-wise soon. I usually use an HRD when playing over loud drummers or in a band or something. I've found the classic 30 will definitely cut it in a pinch though. The HRD has more of a fender sound that I use in my band though. Anyway, I have one that's probably early 90's. I don't know how to find out for sure, does anyone know where I could find something to look up the serial number? more than i ever thought I was getting in a tweed 1x12, i really can't say enough about the reliability, durablity, and overall supurb range of tone that comes out of that amp. I've had to service my newer HRD a few times, and I've beaten the peavey up pretty good, and it takes it all, and still sounds fantastic. good job peavey, well done.
strat212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 10:19 PM   #14
darkarbiter7
UG's Doctor Whooves

I have the classic 50.
Great, great amp.
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse-"The Crushinator"
1957 Gibson GA-5"
Gibson GA35-RVT
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
A pair of Ibanez TS9s (One of them Analogman modded)
darkarbiter7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 10:23 PM   #15
zeppelinpage4
1-800-GOLDEN-GOD

Location: Hopping over the Misty Mountains, I fly Dazed And Confused, on my way to California. Where I search for TheHeartbreaker's Houses Of The Holy.
Quote:
Basically you have the bigger brother. Great amp too. Good for you. Did you get the combo 2x12, combo 4x10, or a head and separate cabinet? Black or tweed? Used, or new? If used, stock tubes? Just curious and glad to converse with a Peavey Classic brother. You are now part of a very well protected secret, which is . . these amps are killer!

The 50 watt classic just has a little more oomph . . . . headroom, which doesn't necessarily translate into dbs, but does help. If you plan to play out a lot, and loud, you've made a great choice. Heck, you've made a great choice period! Should match up well with your Epi. I have a friend that plays rockabilly with a Gretsch through a 4x10 50, and another that pushes the blues through a 2x12 50 with strats. Very, very nice amps.

Peavey mde a Classic 115E extension cabinet, designed to match up to the Classic 50, which you might consider. All I've seen have been in tweed. The 115E is NOT a bass cab, but rather designed to provide some extra range and muscle to the Classic 50. Check this link out for some good pix of one:

http://glasgow.vivastreet.co.uk/mus...how_pics6223755

Now, if you want to jump to the really big muscle check out the Classic 100, and 4/12 cab. Not for the faint of heart.

Cheers.

K

Good to see other owners, mines just a stock 2x12 version in black. Managed to get the last one in the store.

I might change out some stuff later but for now the amp sounds great.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
zeppelinpage4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 10:43 PM   #16
cokeisbetter
Who?

Question for Classic 30 owners- is there any SS circuitry in them? Cos I've seen the occasional tube amp with an op-amp stage after the preamp.
cokeisbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 10:49 PM   #17
darkarbiter7
UG's Doctor Whooves

I know that the rectifier is solidstate, and so is the reverb input.
That's all I know.
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse-"The Crushinator"
1957 Gibson GA-5"
Gibson GA35-RVT
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
A pair of Ibanez TS9s (One of them Analogman modded)
darkarbiter7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 11:07 PM   #18
myguitarskucks1
Schecter

Hello everybody, i ordered my Classic 30 1x12 and it is coming on Tuesday!

I tried one out at the store with my guitar and loved the sound i got from it. I can't wait for it to get here. When that happens ill tell you guys more about how i like it.
Heritage VIP 1(would like to sell)
myguitarskucks1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 11:34 PM   #19
BrainDamage
Knirps for moisture

Quote:

Cheers.

K
I had the opportunity to buy a used Classic 100 Head + Cab for $500, but in the end decided that 100 watts was more then I'd ever need (plus I didn't feel like dragging a head and cabinet every week to practice), so I went with a brand new Classic 50 (2x12, black) for the same price. I'm very happy with it, it's a great amp
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
BrainDamage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 12:04 AM   #20
ECistheBest
Makes Pedals for YOU!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cokeisbetter
Question for Classic 30 owners- is there any SS circuitry in them? Cos I've seen the occasional tube amp with an op-amp stage after the preamp.

it looks to me they have an IC (4558 dual opamp) driving the reverb, transistor i think switching the reverb, and another transistor either switching or driving the effects loop...
http://www.freeinfosociety.com/elec...eyclassic30.pdf

are they brothers?

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard

Last edited by ECistheBest : 01-07-2008 at 12:08 AM.
ECistheBest is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: