Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > Archives Of The Best Threads > Electric Guitar Archives
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-17-2005, 11:26 AM   #61
mrbeanconqueror
Mr. Bean's very own teddy

Actually, it is okay to take off all the strings at one go and changing them all at once. I find this more convenient as I can take some time to clean my fretboard and the space between the pickups. As long as the first string you insert into the guitar is the thinnest string, it is okay.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:15 PM   #62
dentalbrace
UG Newbie

I don't personally recommend changing them at once, but you do bring up a good point. Cleaning the components is a bit hard to do if you don't. I just use a brush or something to get in between the strings to get to the pickups, the bridge, etc.
Old 09-20-2005, 12:25 PM   #63
blackbird3375
UG Newbie

Location: North Tonawanda NY ( between Buffalo, and Niagara Falls)
I have a strat style body, and although I can change the strings without instructions( which is great for beginners by the way) I always loose my set-up and have to adjust the springs. Any tips on how to avoid this?
Old 09-22-2005, 09:05 PM   #64
Stimpomatic
UG Member

when i restring my guitars, i put them through the bridge then to the tuner like anyone else would. BUT to strecth them, i pull them towards my body at about the 5th or 7th fret, and when i start to get some tension on the string, i set the string in the nut. after i tighten them in this manner they stay in tune pretty well and i almost alwaysplay when im done restringing my guitar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by obey_yourmaster
Who the heck is Ronnie James Dio? I vote Bruce
!

Old 09-23-2005, 11:01 AM   #65
mattutaylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilty00
I ****in suck at this. I cannot do it for the life of me. My teacher taught me it a long time ago but i hadnt changed them in a long time. Ive beenat it for 20 minutes. I feel like such a moron. Step 3 of the gibson part doesnt make alot of sense to me.. thats where im stuck.

Same here - I bought a new string for my high E last friday - ive changed them before and did everything the same, but the new string just snapped!! ive just been and got myself a new one and this one feels like its going to aswell.
Old 09-24-2005, 11:02 PM   #66
Night_Lights
I've been here too long

ok, ive just followed the steps to restringing my ibanez with locking bridge, and i have a problem- the bridge is pulled way back, to the maximum, right after i took out all the old strings. i put new ones on, and tried using the screws on the bottom under the plate to fix the bridge but its having no effect. so, the bridge is pulled waaay back, the action of guitar is nonexistant, and i cant play it at all since the strings action is low. help!

edit: i think my mistake was taking all the old strings off at once, ok, so how do i fix this?????? i really dont want to take it to the shop, theyll take $80 from me

[URL=http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL]

Last edited by Night_Lights : 09-24-2005 at 11:16 PM.
Old 10-01-2005, 07:20 PM   #67
Dr. No
UG Addict

Whenever I go to tighten them..it wont stick, so I'll tighten harder and it will break. What am I doing wrong besides being a complete idiot?
Old 10-03-2005, 03:19 PM   #68
Waylander
Droog

I just strung my guitar for the first time, I think I did a ****ty job. Some of the strings didn't coil down they way they were supposed to and it looks pretty rugged. If left this way could I possibly hurt my guitar? Or is their no need for perfection for someone who is just learning anyway? All the strings feel like I can get them tight enough to tune and play...If I do need to undo them and try again, should I just attempt it with the same strings or are they shot?
Old 10-30-2005, 05:42 PM   #69
Nybb
▓▒░

My advice for first-time string changers: just go for it. It might look and sound really intimidating, but it's actually pretty easy as long as you don't do anything stupid. And hey, what's the worst that could happen? I guess you could lose a hand, but those things are overrated anyways.

And a question...how often should one replace bass strings? Same as guitar?
Old 11-07-2005, 08:08 PM   #70
S0ulja23
My avatar's too cheesy

Thanks! This really helped cause even after playing for 4 years,I still haven't had the energy (or patience) to learn how to restring a guitar
Old 11-10-2005, 02:58 PM   #71
cloginator
clogs!!!

Hey, nice explanations, especially the Floyd Rose one (I strung up mt first Floyd Rose about a week ago, too bad I didnt find this guide in time).
Old 11-20-2005, 05:41 PM   #72
Profound
Dreamer

thanks alot this really helps especially how it tells you how on a couple kinds of guitars....I have a Squier Affinity Fat Strat
Old 11-28-2005, 09:31 PM   #73
johnelle
Banned

help me how to tune my guitar?
Old 11-28-2005, 09:50 PM   #74
jj1565
Officially Knighted

Location: NewYork ............................... Hot Chick guitahh playah ~~teh sexay
do u have an electronic tuner? and what kind of guitar is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Old 12-06-2005, 04:08 PM   #75
monkey dust

hey soz guys but am i bit of a noob and i duno which version my guitar is its a Ibanez GGRG170DX
http://img388.imageshack.us/my.php?...pict00060my.jpg
i think its the strat one but im not sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnelle
help me how to tune my guitar?

if u have a microphone for your pc u can download a program called AP guitar tuner its free thats what i use for mine works like a charm

Last edited by monkey dust : 12-06-2005 at 04:12 PM.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:53 PM   #76
demonic dog
UG's Demonic Dog.

ERGENT:hey guys how many windings should you do for string G?
Old 12-14-2005, 10:34 PM   #77
neowings

I broke my low E string twice because my tuner kept showing 4d or 7b, however, I want to get to E. So, I kept twisting it and it breaks. I have no problem with the other strings but the low E string. Can anyone help??
Old 12-18-2005, 06:19 PM   #78
silvermoon

anyone know how to restring using bullet end strings?
Old 12-29-2005, 10:40 AM   #79
Innit
E=MC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonic dog
hey guys how many windings should you do for string G?

I don't ever do a certain amount of windings for each string to tune it because i feel that it'll be tuned wrongly. I have a tuner, but the most simple way of tuning your guitar is somehow getting the Bottom string (in guitar terms) which is a E string (the thick one) tuned and the playing the fifth fret on the E string and playing the A string at the same time. You have to make the A string sound the same as the fifth fret of the E string. Do the same with all the strings except the B string, whach has to sound the same as the 4th fret of the string above.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:43 AM   #80
Innit
E=MC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by neowings
I broke my low E string twice because my tuner kept showing 4d or 7b, however, I want to get to E. So, I kept twisting it and it breaks. I have no problem with the other strings but the low E string. Can anyone help??

Tune your low E string with your high E string, same note just that the low E string sounds lower.

Rate This Thread: