Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > Archives Of The Best Threads > Electric Guitar Archives
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-29-2005, 10:46 AM   #81
Innit
E=MC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvermoon
anyone know how to restring using bullet end strings?

Bullet end strings as in strings with the round knob at the end?? If so, on my guitar, I have 6 little holes in a line at the back of the head of the guitar. Try to fish the knobs out of there, but first you have to either cut or unwind the string completely.

To restring the you put the end of the new string in the hole at the back and try to get it out the other end. Once you see it it's pretty simple and straight forward.
Old 01-03-2006, 03:59 PM   #82
Skar
The Crimson King

I've been reading all these questions on how to string a guitar, and even though I haven't gotten mine yet (sending money order for AL-2500 today ), I may be of some help. But of course, if what I say is complete bs, just ignore it. :P

While I was wondering how to replace pickups on a Les Paul style guitar, I stumbled across a video of Seymour Duncan's instructional clip on how to change pickups.

At the beginning, he mentions when you are going to do any sort of work on the guitar, the way to unstring your guitar is to loosen them first, and cut (or just uncoil them and take them out, if you want to use them again). Then it goes into the whole 'taking your guitar apart' stuff which need not be mentioned here.

At the end, he shows how to restring. Now, considering most of you would've read the first post, you would know how put the string in and everything (also, the video did not show this part :P), so we will skip to actually putting them through the peg and everything. Now I have read the original poster's method of putting the string through the hole while giving it a little slack between the nut and peg, and twisting the tuning peg until taught (I am guessing this is how it goes, please correct me if i'm wrong). In the video, it mentioned you should pull the string somewhat hard to the nut, and use one of your fingers to press it against the headstock and keep it firmly taught. Then,

Now, for all you people with Floyd Roses, I think I may have some sort of 'idea' on stringing it differently. I'm not sure if this method is easier (although it seems to be a good idea if your string breaks near the bridge, I dunno), but this apparently how Tom Morello of Audioslave (formerly of Rage Against The Machine) does it. He puts the string in 'backwards' with the ball-end nearest to the headstock. I'm not completely sure on this, but apparently he feeds the string through the hole (opposite of ball-end first obviously :P), all the way to the locking bridge, and somehow locks it into place in the bridge. Sorry I can't be more clear on this, but its an idea. :\

If your string breaks near the bridge, I think you can just loosen the nut, take that little piece of string out, uncoil the string at the peg, and feed a little more of the string through, then lock it into place. Of course, by using this method, you wouldn't cut any excess string away from the tuning peg.

If someone can clarify these methods, I would be most thankful.

(first post :P)
Old 01-08-2006, 01:46 AM   #83
SomeRandomGuy
GuitarN00b

Mmmkay, so I have an Epi Les Paul (Special II to be specific).

And I've only been playing the guitar for a few weeks now, but alas, the high (in terms of pitch...meaning it's the thinnest string) E string has snapped. Was in the middle of playing and I hit the E string and there it goes. Upon pulling it out I found that it snapped at the loop which was threaded through the bridge. Yea, I'm assuming a string snapping in the middle of playing means that I had too much tension going on...

I had just tuned it too and found out that I had actually tuned the thing in a not-so-cool way. I tuned the high E string (snapped one) first, then tuned the B string at the 5th fret to the high E, then the G at the 4th fret to the B string and so on. Upon the snapping I read some shtuff I probably should have already went through and found out that you usually either go from the low E downwards or do both E's and then work towards the middle.

Hrm, so other than tuning it differently, is there anything I might have been doing wrong? I mean I only had the guitar for a few weeks... Unless it's normal for strings to snap that often. In which case. Wow. I need to buy a couple of sets of stringing. ^^

(Also, I don't know if it matters but I happened to be fingerpicking when it happened... and have been fingerpicking pretty much the whole time...)
Old 01-08-2006, 08:04 AM   #84
jj1565
Officially Knighted

Location: NewYork ............................... Hot Chick guitahh playah ~~teh sexay
the only things that matter...
the type of bridge, guitar, strings u were using.
if u had it tuned too high.

if its a starter guitar, the strings that came with it might be weak. (epi speciAL)
also the bridge might be a little sharp.( the saddle)
if it was tuned too high it was just waiting to be snapped.
and when u change strings take off one at a time. not all strings at once.
helps prevent extra set up adjustments.

if u think u might have a sharp point or didnt string it correctly then repost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011

Last edited by jj1565 : 01-08-2006 at 08:07 AM.
Old 01-08-2006, 01:18 PM   #85
SomeRandomGuy
GuitarN00b

One more thing I didn't realize when I posted...

I think I might have lost the nut or whatever it is that holds the string to the bridge...

I didn't even realize that the part the string was threaded through wasn't on the bridge itself but was actually held in the little cavities there...

And so in short I didn't bother looking for it when the string snapped and now I can't find it. >.<
Old 01-08-2006, 02:08 PM   #86
jj1565
Officially Knighted

Location: NewYork ............................... Hot Chick guitahh playah ~~teh sexay
hmm. every string has a little ball at the end to hold it in the bridge.

when u took off the other string (maybe cut it off) and the ball end of the old string rolled away thats ok, u dont need it.

if u meant any other part. try to be more specific.
we are talking about an epi LP right?

http://www.elixirstrings.com/produc...icstandard.html
How to replace strings, with pictures.

Quote:
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Old 01-12-2006, 07:40 AM   #87
SandmaN211

"VIDEO" how to restring guitar

found this video on the net, teaches you how to properly setup and restring ur guitar for those having trouble trying to keep a floyd rose bridge in tune

http://www.eastonguitars.com/WWW/TPS/VIDPGS/VIDPG1.html

hope someone can sticky this so newbs wont keepin asking how
Old 01-18-2006, 06:43 PM   #88
bjovi400
UG's Sarcastic Private

Location: On a US Government military installation blowing shit up
I have been playing for about 2 years on 3 different guitars and I have never had to replace my strings so this will help alot when I do.
Old 01-29-2006, 02:58 PM   #89
callumirvine
irc.matrixchat.us

hi, on the gibson style guitar restringingi didnt really understand that concept.. i got step 1 & 2 but after i am just lost, can someone simplify this in dumass terms for me or give me a simalar way, thanks people
LollZerZ!11 *Flashes Eyelashes*

Meaning...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullonParade
callum, your so cool

or

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadLord-IoN
callum you are my god! <3 LUB!

i rock...

Old 02-02-2006, 03:56 AM   #90
punkman_123
Registered Loser

I've never re-strung my steel-string acoustic so I need to learn now...

You know those plastic round pegs that are on the bridge at the end of each string? Do they need to come out when re-stringing? What are they for? Last time I sent my geetar in for a service the morons broke one of the pegs so the top of it easily comes out of it's hole. Should I replace them and if so, how much are they and are there different types?

Thanks.

*world implodes*
Old 02-02-2006, 07:55 AM   #91
jj1565
Officially Knighted

yes that peg "bridge pin," would need to come out.
they are not expensive and are sold where strings are sold.

if u didnt see them in the store, u could use a small toothpick part, or piece of paper to make the bridge pin more snug in that hole.

here is a picture tutorial, how to replace acoustic strings. repost with questions.
if a bridge pin gets struck. u can use an upsidedown spoon to lever it out after the string has been loosened.....
http://www.elixirstrings.com/produc...g_acoustic.html

Quote:

Old 02-03-2006, 01:10 AM   #92
punkman_123
Registered Loser

Sweet thanks a lot

*world implodes*
Old 02-03-2006, 10:07 AM   #93
jj1565
Officially Knighted

Quote:

Old 02-07-2006, 06:15 PM   #94
Iwantaguitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantmoon
I have always had my own funny way of changing guitar strings and would like someone to explain to me in a simple manner what the correct process is,i have tried looking at websites but they seem to leave me more confused, the whole put string through, then leave slack , then turn anti clockwise, then loop over the string all seems very foreign to me!! i need someone to explain in an idiot proof manner!! i have noticed strings in guitar stored look really neat and tidy in the machine heads, mine however stick out and dont seem to be wrapped around like others ive seen!! i can play guitar quite well but cant even change strings properly, could smeone once and for all put an end to this ongoing nightmare!! any help would be very much appreciated

Ok the same exact noobish problem happens to me. For some reason the strings get the tension they need before the string can make more than one winding or two windings and it doesn't look wrapped around the thing. My teacher told me that it was necessary to have several windings so that the string wouldn't lose its tune.
ok can someone pls explain how the hell to do this???? I read the posts about leave slack or something about leaving 10cm of the end of the string but I didn't understand im very lost. I've already ruined like 4 brand new strings and also made the mistake of taking all of the old strings off at the same time.

Pls help I have quit my practice because of my stupid frustration someone pls tell me something I do understand pictures whatever      
Old 02-07-2006, 07:23 PM   #95
jj1565
Officially Knighted

ok 2 wraps is fine. three is better but as u string more, ur technique will improve.

let me look for some pictures for u....

ok , in this picture the guy ran the string up from the bottom of the guitar towards the tuners.
then he lifted the string in the air. (yellow arrow.)

this draws the string backwards and leaves him alot of extra string, all in front of the tuner (white arrow.)
when he's happy that he lifted the string high enough he bends the string at the tuner. and starts winding that extra long floppy string from the bend (in the string.)

so before it gets tight, he's winding and winding, wrapping the string around the tuner, until the slack picks up.

he's making sure the slack goes under the hole in the tuner, and that keeps it all in place.

ok here is a link again. check out the picture and ask questions.

http://www.elixirstrings.com/produc...icstandard.html

Quote:

Last edited by jj1565 : 02-07-2006 at 07:50 PM.
Old 02-08-2006, 06:07 PM   #96
Iwantaguitar

God bless you my friend that was what I needed to read    
Old 02-08-2006, 06:19 PM   #97
jj1565
Officially Knighted

np. and thank you.

Quote:

Old 02-16-2006, 04:10 AM   #98
zelance

Thumbs up

wow that thing has a great thing, well for us who play guitar, it help us to save money cause sometimes our strings are get rust and make us embarrass in front of crowd when we play in a good sound then turn into very naughty sound, it help us alot to make better sounds, this is also very important, lol
Old 02-21-2006, 05:49 PM   #99
Lemoiner_01

ok...i just bought myself a new acoustic..i am changing strings on it for the first time...i have changed strings on my old acoustic many times before....now..the problem....when i put the peg back in....it wont stay in place...i tighten the string...the peg pops out...ive tried everything....ive ever pounded the peg with a hammer...still no luck....has this happend to anyone else before?
thanks
Old 02-21-2006, 07:56 PM   #100
jj1565
Officially Knighted

you can roll up a small piece of cardboard and wedge it in there. tune up, the peg will stay.

Quote:

Rate This Thread: