Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Modern Rock
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 02-17-2008, 05:43 AM   #41
Thom Yorke
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry589
^ I would add 'My Recovery Injection' as that was one of the songs that got me into Biffy.


I know - it was the first I heard but 'Some Kind Of Wizard' I felt was a more typical Biffy song.
Thom Yorke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 07:46 AM   #42
Beardless J
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazasul
Saw them at Brixton in November. They were amazing. They played almost all of Puzzle and a minimum of 2 classics per album. During Glitter and Trauma thousands of pieces of glitter were dropped from the ceiling. I collected loads in my pockets and still have 'em now. ^ o ^


I saw them there too and got loads of gliter pinned to the wall of my bedroom xD
I wish they'd played "Toys, Toys, Toys, Choke, Toys, Toys, Toys", "There's no Such Thing As a Jaggy Snake" and "Now The Action Is On Fire though" =( Bu they were still amazing. Puzzle sounds do much more like a rock album live. Whenever I hear 57 now though it doesn't sound half as good as the live performance which is a shame >_<

I got all the B-Sides they have on iTunes recently. Some of them are better than the album records. I love "It's Always The Quiet Ones". I need more though. If anyone knows where to download them please let me know. Hard copies would be awesome but no-one sells them anymore xD

And take The Ideal Height out of the list and put in My Recovery Injection =P
Beardless J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 06:43 AM   #43
frusciante_50
Was born to hula
 
frusciante_50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: ENG-ER-LAND!
I really hope the new album isnt Puzzle part 2. They need to keep the real fans happy, not the new-found NME reading Puzzleheads. They turned up to gigs, and knew only the singles off Puzzle. The atmosphere was really compromised
__________________
Yeah thats right, sometimes my lyrics are sexist, but you lovely bitches and hoes should know I'm trying to correct this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love_Buzz
It took me a while...geez.


Rate and Comment

If you join this group, I might not kick you in the crotch
frusciante_50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 07:23 PM   #44
perry589
Used to be evil
 
perry589's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
^ Yeah, but they will probably stay in this direction with Puzzle being very successful.
__________________
It's gonna be a blue day
perry589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 01:56 PM   #45
frusciante_50
Was born to hula
 
frusciante_50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: ENG-ER-LAND!
I agree, but now they have a fanbase combined with new and old fans, hopefully they will remember why we love them so, and make some crazy Biff music. I have "Biffy" as its own genre on my Windows Media Player
__________________
Yeah thats right, sometimes my lyrics are sexist, but you lovely bitches and hoes should know I'm trying to correct this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love_Buzz
It took me a while...geez.


Rate and Comment

If you join this group, I might not kick you in the crotch
frusciante_50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 06:07 AM   #46
priceless_twirp
Registered User
 
priceless_twirp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
WOO FOR MOUNTAINS!! :P Cant wait for leeds!
priceless_twirp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 07:27 AM   #47
kryptonite22
...
 
kryptonite22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Devon, UK.
Enjoyed Puzzle and I've seen them live a few times before. 'Blackened Sky' was a bit gloomy, 'Infinity Land' is the other one I have, that was alright. Never got the one in between but if someone gave me a copy or something I'd definitely try it.
__________________
interviews/recommendations/opinion/top fives.

This month: Pacer/The Tidal Sleep/Sam Russo/Mothbites/Talons/Josh Rock Photography
kryptonite22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 06:41 AM   #48
the1
...
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: On earth
The Conversation Is..

Brilliant song. I need to get their other album too. They're kind quirky and I like that
the1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 10:32 AM   #49
_deeperthewound
...is back!
 
_deeperthewound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Glasgow, Scotland
Seen them live 5 times now, including an acoustic performance in Fopp Glasgow for the release of Glitter & Trauma. They're always fantastic, and they're really nice guys.

Their set at Download this year was awesome, I just wished they'd played more older stuff. But, it's understandable - they were playing to a huge crowd, they're obviously gonna go for their current album. Was really pleasantly surprised to hear 9/15ths, too. That was epic.

Has anybody got the alternative version of Machines? I bought it off iTunes yesterday, it's brilliant.
__________________
Check out my shitey taste in music!
Last.FM


LGBT Group
_deeperthewound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 10:34 AM   #50
break-me-in
can rhyme with purple.
 
break-me-in's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Surrey, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by _deeperthewound
Seen them live 5 times now, including an acoustic performance in Fopp Glasgow for the release of Glitter & Trauma. They're always fantastic, and they're really nice guys.

Their set at Download this year was awesome, I just wished they'd played more older stuff. But, it's understandable - they were playing to a huge crowd, they're obviously gonna go for their current album. Was really pleasantly surprised to hear 9/15ths, too. That was epic.

Has anybody got the alternative version of Machines? I bought it off iTunes yesterday, it's brilliant.


They played 9/15ths? I'm hoping they'll play that a Reading, I really love that song and it seems an unlikely choice. (I keep seeing you on the forums and agreeing with you on things today... Odd.) What's the difference in the alternative version of Machines?
__________________
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.


Confused? Good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
break-me-in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 10:35 AM   #51
break-me-in
can rhyme with purple.
 
break-me-in's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Surrey, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry589
^ Yeah, but they will probably stay in this direction with Puzzle being very successful.


I hope so personally. All the old-school fans may hate me for it, but I think Puzzle is far superior to any of their previous work.
__________________
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.


Confused? Good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
break-me-in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 10:37 AM   #52
_deeperthewound
...is back!
 
_deeperthewound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Glasgow, Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by break-me-in
They played 9/15ths? I'm hoping they'll play that a Reading, I really love that song and it seems an unlikely choice. (I keep seeing you on the forums and agreeing with you on things today... Odd.) What's the difference in the alternative version of Machines?


Haha, I know! I'm still in shock that someone responded positively to a post about Nickelback. That's a first for me on UG.

Yeah, they played it, it was great. Totally unexpected. Made a good change from the more commercial tracks. They played their new single, Mountains, as well. It sounded great. And, apart from Justboy, it was all Puzzle. I couldn't believe there was no 57... ah well.

Alt. Machines is basically more 'studio'-esque than the album version. More layers of guitar, it builds up to drums, distorted guitars, bass, some piano too. It doesn't get heavy, it just expands. Pretty epic.
__________________
Check out my shitey taste in music!
Last.FM


LGBT Group
_deeperthewound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 10:42 AM   #53
break-me-in
can rhyme with purple.
 
break-me-in's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Surrey, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by _deeperthewound
Haha, I know! I'm still in shock that someone responded positively to a post about Nickelback. That's a first for me on UG.


Most of the people who badmouth Nickelback have just heard Rockstar and How You Remind Me. A lot of people on this board would like at least their first 2 albums if they gave them a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _deeperthewound
Yeah, they played it, it was great. Totally unexpected. Made a good change from the more commercial tracks. They played their new single, Mountains, as well. It sounded great. And, apart from Justboy, it was all Puzzle. I couldn't believe there was no 57... ah well.


Really? I would've thought they'd at least throw in 57 and Glitter and Trauma. Those are great tracks, even though I do prefer Puzzle. And does Mountains have a Puzzle feel or an old-school feel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by _deeperthewound
Alt. Machines is basically more 'studio'-esque than the album version. More layers of guitar, it builds up to drums, distorted guitars, bass, some piano too. It doesn't get heavy, it just expands. Pretty epic.


Damn, I'll have to get that. But I don't have an iTunes account so I suppose I'll torrent it. <.< >.>
__________________
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.


Confused? Good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
break-me-in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 10:45 AM   #54
_deeperthewound
...is back!
 
_deeperthewound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Glasgow, Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by break-me-in
Really? I would've thought they'd at least throw in 57 and Glitter and Trauma. Those are great tracks, even though I do prefer Puzzle. And does Mountains have a Puzzle feel or an old-school feel?


Bloody hell, sorry, they did play G&T. They finished the set with it. But no, no 57. Well shocked.

Mountains is definitely more akin to Puzzle than their earlier stuff.
__________________
Check out my shitey taste in music!
Last.FM


LGBT Group
_deeperthewound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 10:49 AM   #55
break-me-in
can rhyme with purple.
 
break-me-in's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Surrey, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by _deeperthewound
Bloody hell, sorry, they did play G&T. They finished the set with it. But no, no 57. Well shocked.

Mountains is definitely more akin to Puzzle than their earlier stuff.


Ah ok. I think their new album will be a mix of Puzzle stuff and older style, but I wouldn't be surprised if they just kept to the Puzzle vibe. Sounds like they might.
__________________
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.


Confused? Good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
break-me-in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 11:16 AM   #56
_deeperthewound
...is back!
 
_deeperthewound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Glasgow, Scotland
Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. After Infinity Land, I was wondering what direction they'd go in - you can't get much weirder than that album (for a successful mainstream rock band, at least). So it made sense that they went with a more mainstream approach. I don't really care, though. I know a lot of fanboys hate Puzzle, but I think it's a brilliantly crafted album.

EDIT: Zane Lowe just gave Mountains its first ever airplay there on Radio 1, it sounds way better than it did live. The piano parts almost knocked me out.

Sounds a bit quirkier than Puzzle, good sign methinks!
__________________
Check out my shitey taste in music!
Last.FM


LGBT Group

Last edited by _deeperthewound : 06-19-2008 at 02:52 PM.
_deeperthewound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 03:04 PM   #57
priceless_twirp
Registered User
 
priceless_twirp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by _deeperthewound
Alt. Machines is basically more 'studio'-esque than the album version. More layers of guitar, it builds up to drums, distorted guitars, bass, some piano too. It doesn't get heavy, it just expands. Pretty epic.


I've played that version live! It was wicked.

Whats everyone think to mountains!!??
priceless_twirp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 04:03 PM   #58
break-me-in
can rhyme with purple.
 
break-me-in's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Surrey, UK
I thought the alternative version of Machines was great, but really no better than the stripped-down one. I love both, but I always thought Machines was a great closer because they ditched that huge sound that they had for the rest of the album.

Mountains sounds bloody awesome.
__________________
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.


Confused? Good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
break-me-in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 06:37 PM   #59
the1
...
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: On earth
Check out Fighting With Wire and Nine Black Alps if you like Biffy
the1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 08:57 PM   #60
_deeperthewound
...is back!
 
_deeperthewound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Glasgow, Scotland
FWW and Nine Black Alps are both bloody great bands. FWW are lovely guys, too.
__________________
Check out my shitey taste in music!
Last.FM


LGBT Group
_deeperthewound is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:34 PM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.