Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Alternative & Indie
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-10-2008, 12:58 PM   #21
Shine On...
I Take My Time

Apparrently their live show is nothing too special anyways.
Shine On... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 01:46 PM   #22
meh17
Banned

These Guys ****ing Own!!!
meh17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 01:52 PM   #23
dougiecrystals
.hot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shine On...

Srsly.
Overrated as eff.
And I saw them for free, and still feel like I wasted my money.

dougiecrystals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 01:37 AM   #24
madefortvmovie
The Weekend Warrior

i absolutely love this band. my brother and i got a hold of their ep last july and listened to it nonstop thinking it was just some small band that no one else knew about. i am so glad they are gaining popularity so rapidly! oracular spectacular is really a fantastic album (though i like the original cuts of time to pretend and kids from the ep).

saw them about a week and a half ago here in memphis. andrew (guitar/vox) is from here so it was hometown show for him. they played at a really small club (hi tone) which sold out almost immediately. It was insane!!! So loud, so crowded, and so intimate - i was literally leaning against ben's keyboards the entire show!

if you havent heard the Time to Pretend ep, definitely check it out. Its more electronic then Oracular, but there are some excellent songs on it (destrokk, time to pretend, kids, and especially LOVE ALWAYS REMAINS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shine On...

they caught a lot of flack for their live shows in the past. before they recruited a full band, it was just the two of them basically performing karoake - pluggin in an ipod and singing along. now, they have a full band backing them so it sounds a lot better. though for their last song, they just sang and danced along to Kids. it was actually pretty damn sweet

Last.FM

Last edited by madefortvmovie : 06-23-2008 at 01:39 AM.
madefortvmovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 06:47 AM   #25
jimmy_neutron
ROCKET EDITION!

http://www.phantom.ie/podcasting/po...?cat=Interviews

This link is a podcast of an interview with them on phantom radio... havn't had a chance to listen in yet but i reckon it will be good
Old 06-24-2008, 03:17 PM   #26
madefortvmovie
The Weekend Warrior

they played a 14 minute song at their show called Metanoia - anyone know where i can find an mp3 or video of it?

Last.FM
Old 06-24-2008, 05:29 PM   #27
-BlackZeppelin-
imaguition

^
14 min? sounds intersting.

The original version of Kids is still my favorite song by them.
BlackZeppelin is like Ghandi. With a bigger sense of humor.
it's the silence between the notes that makes the music.
-BlackZeppelin- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 02:38 PM   #28
easter-glow
Bring The Noise

I'm the same, they grew on me so fast I went from thinking they were rubbish to loving them in like a week. Their songs are so summery and feel-good, well, most of them.

Plus they have like the coolest image ever (which I know means nothing really, but it warrants mentioning nonetheless)

I love MGMT! They're getting pretty big on the radio over here over the past few days.

But heaven knows I'm miserable now

I was looking for a job and then I found a job

But heaven knows I'm miserable now
easter-glow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 06:47 AM   #29
Tombe
Post-Rocker

Got tickets to see them in November, woo!

FUZZY FLATPICKER σ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Enjoy occasionally controversial ramblings related to guitars? I have a blog which meets these criteria.
Tombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 01:02 PM   #30
mikko 9119
siin

saw them on conan or leno or SNL. liked em because they were wearing capes... heard "Time to pretend" liked it a bit... grew on me though

Quote:
Originally Posted by innertom
So much down syndrome
mikko 9119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 02:01 PM   #31
frd_marshll
i am not your friend

someone told me the band is called mangment but its spell MGMT
so how do you say their name

Founder of the Conor Oberst fan boys/girls pm to join

http://artists.ultimate-guitar.com/nots/
frd_marshll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 03:43 PM   #32
Tsunoyukami

When I first checked out their myspace the vocals annoyed me quite a bit, but my the end of the song I was really enjoying all aspects of it, including the vocals. I'll have to listen to a few more tracks but so far they seem like grand fun.
Old 06-27-2008, 04:35 PM   #33
madefortvmovie
The Weekend Warrior

it is now pronounced MGMT

they were originally called The Management, but had to change their name i think due to legal issues (dont remember exactly)

Last.FM
Old 06-28-2008, 04:04 PM   #34
-BlackZeppelin-
imaguition

Quote:
Originally Posted by madefortvmovie
they played a 14 minute song at their show called Metanoia - anyone know where i can find an mp3 or video of it?

I found these 2 videos containing the full Mp3 of Metanoia. PLUS! I stumbled upon these other Mp3 videos uploaded by the same Youtube user of some of MGMT's earlier recordings and other unreleased stuff. So, here they all are. Enjoy...

Metanoia Pt.1
Metanoia Pt.2
I... I like it? This is how every MGMT song is with me. I am confused at what to think at first, but in the end it grows on me and I can't stop listening. We'll see how this one turns out.

We Care
LOVE IT!!! Needs a better recording!

We Don't Care
Could be better. Maybe a better recording would sway my current opinion.

Grayhound Redux
Nice beats. A good transition song.

Everything's Happenin' So Fast
Strange, but gets better towards the end.

These all sound fine, but could be better like I said. But, Columbia records is NOT the record label to take these songs to the next level. After listening to the original version of Kids and then the new one, I realized how much the new one sucks in comparison. The same can be said with Time to Pretend; the original is MUCH better.

Basically what I'm saying is, signing with Columbia was a mistake for MGMT. They should have stayed independent. All well... let's hope they keep it real and don't let the business interfere with their musical talent.
Old 06-29-2008, 04:26 AM   #35
madefortvmovie
The Weekend Warrior

^ thanks for the links! i actually found out that on the uk single of Time to Pretend, Metanoia is included, so i went ahead and bought a copy off amazon.

as for the original version of kids vs. the new:

yes, it really does not sound as good at all. basically, it is the exact same song with live drums and an additional set of vocals layered over the original. bleh.

as for the rest of their sound being changed by columbia, to be completely fair, mgmt decided to move away from a more electronic sound (songs like destrokk, love always remains). in fact, they talked about it in some interview (or somewhere - cant actually remember the source now) that they made the conscious decision to move away from that. thus, oracular spectacular contained songs that full bands could replicate (as opposed to songs that were literally created when the two of them got together and screwed around with their computers and synths.)

if its any consolation, when i saw them live, they played the original version of kids. the rest of their band left the stage, they just turned on the music to it, grabbed microphones, and danced around singing together, just going crazy.

i have friends that know andrew, and from the way the talk about him, and from everything i have seen from mgmt (regarding shows, cds, interviews, etc), i sincerely doubt that they will ever really bend to most of columbias demands

Last.FM
Old 06-29-2008, 03:39 PM   #36
MystiFerdinand

Strangly my dad really likes these guys, especially there song "electric feel", because he says it sounds sorta seventies? I love the album, especially electric feel and the handshake!!!

MGMT = <3
MystiFerdinand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 09:10 PM   #37
-BlackZeppelin-
imaguition

Quote:
Originally Posted by madefortvmovie
^ thanks for the links! i actually found out that on the uk single of Time to Pretend, Metanoia is included, so i went ahead and bought a copy off amazon.

as for the original version of kids vs. the new:

yes, it really does not sound as good at all. basically, it is the exact same song with live drums and an additional set of vocals layered over the original. bleh.

as for the rest of their sound being changed by columbia, to be completely fair, mgmt decided to move away from a more electronic sound (songs like destrokk, love always remains). in fact, they talked about it in some interview (or somewhere - cant actually remember the source now) that they made the conscious decision to move away from that. thus, oracular spectacular contained songs that full bands could replicate (as opposed to songs that were literally created when the two of them got together and screwed around with their computers and synths.)

if its any consolation, when i saw them live, they played the original version of kids. the rest of their band left the stage, they just turned on the music to it, grabbed microphones, and danced around singing together, just going crazy.

i have friends that know andrew, and from the way the talk about him, and from everything i have seen from mgmt (regarding shows, cds, interviews, etc), i sincerely doubt that they will ever really bend to most of columbias demands

Wow, that's good news. It's good to know these guy are indeed, keeping it real.

Ah! I can't stop listening to We Care from my last post. It's so fucking good!
Old 06-30-2008, 08:12 AM   #38
shoolocomous
is now 10% fat free.

I saw them yesterday, and it was a nice fun set. they're like pink floyds happy poppy music children. With tie-dyed capes

if i where you, i wouldnt play through it until it is
shoolocomous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 08:42 AM   #39
almighty_dylan

It took a while but im really starting to like MGMT quite alot. The album is really good. I'm especially liking The Youth, Kids and 4th Dimensional Transition. And who couldn't like a band that wears capes!
Old 07-01-2008, 01:54 AM   #40
madefortvmovie
The Weekend Warrior

i got the eu/uk version of the single time to pretend today in the mail! metanoia is such a badass song!! its so trippy, and honestly just sounds like several short songs thrown together. its really a sweet addition though.

apparently on the electric feel single, the second song is a cover of the song "saturday" by soulwax. i have never heard the original, but really want to hear it and the cover. on the 7" single, there is the justice remix of electric feel - its okay...

Last.FM

Rate This Thread: