User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-27-2014, 03:16 AM   #1
Faux
Or friend?

"I Ms. U"

Code:
i don't miss the adulterant grasping, desperate (almost)sex and i don't miss you as much as i miss the loneliness We were a- part of something largerthanlife
Faux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:00 AM   #2
slipknot836
Trivium's UG tab wench

What is this?

Quote:
Originally posted by suckmybassriffs
To become the great tabber, you must first... BECOME A TAB!

Quote:
Originally posted by Svelle
dude your like the tabbing-master... seriously!
slipknot836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:06 AM   #3
Of_Wolves
Silver Satellite Eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknot836
What is this?

Visual poetry. Look it up.
Of_Wolves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:52 AM   #4
slipknot836
Trivium's UG tab wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Of_Wolves
Visual poetry. Look it up.

If I change the size of the text to make it 'larger' or separate the word 'apart' to give it effect? I know what it is. It's just not that good.

Quote:
Originally posted by suckmybassriffs
To become the great tabber, you must first... BECOME A TAB!

Quote:
Originally posted by Svelle
dude your like the tabbing-master... seriously!
slipknot836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 12:40 PM   #5
Of_Wolves
Silver Satellite Eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknot836
If I change the size of the text to make it 'larger' or separate the word 'apart' to give it effect? I know what it is. It's just not that good.

Some people do enjoy it though. To each their own I guess

A more constructive criticism of the piece than "What is this?" would be to actually detail why it doesn't work in this case. I'll take a shot at it shall I.

In my opinion every visual component of a piece like this has to be inseparable from the meaning of the thing. By that definition Faux, I think you're one out of two. a - part is brilliant in that you've emphasized two meanings: being a part of something thing and being apart from each other.

"largerthanlife" is a little too aesthetic and nothing else. If you see what I mean.

Other than that I enjoyed the poem. Good job.
Old 03-29-2014, 03:06 AM   #6
Faux
Or friend?

@Of_Wolves

Thanks! I definitely see what you mean about the larger. It's the obvious choice and hence loses power. I was thinking about putting commas here: "as much as i, miss, the loneliness", but i wanted both meanings to be able to be drawn as one so i tried to hint at it with the title. I am not completely satisfied with the title though. Titles are the hardest part for me. I also thought about capitalizing "Loneliness" to personify it more, but decided that might come off a bit cliche. I had a second version with "graspingdesperate" as one word, which i really like, but I couldn't find an arrangement with that in it that I liked.

Glad you enjoyed it! It is the first poem I have written in a very long time since I mostly stopped writing poetry when I started writing song lyrics. E.E Cummings is my favorite poet if that wasn't apparent

Last edited by Faux : 03-29-2014 at 03:10 AM.
Faux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 05:02 AM   #7
doubtfulsalmon

Personally I really like this as it is, it's very charming in it's matter of factness and brevity.

I'm glad that you couldn't make "graspingdesperate" fit, I think it would have ruined the overall texture.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:49 AM   #8
Of_Wolves
Silver Satellite Eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faux
@Of_Wolves

~SNIP~

Glad you enjoyed it! It is the first poem I have written in a very long time since I mostly stopped writing poetry when I started writing song lyrics. E.E Cummings is my favorite poet if that wasn't apparent

Yeah, I can see the ol' E.E in this. But then again I don't see people experimenting with this style anymore. Not often anyway.

It's quite easy to complain that the visual element is pointless in a traditionally spoken medium. So when people use it to inject meaning into their poetry despite the naysayers, when they take poetry past those man-made boundaries into the realms of art, then I can't help but appreciate it. Experimenting is where it's at for me.

Thanks again for letting us read this.