Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Songwriting & Lyrics
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-13-2008, 03:16 AM   #1
Carmel

The S+L Forum NEW Feedback Thread!

Welcome to the new feedback thread!

In the spirit of 2008 dawning upon us we have revamped the forum a bit.

The veterans and the observant new comers will notice that the Critique Guide moved up to the announcements and that we are celebrating a new feedback thread to help us make this forum a more welcoming and homey place for everyone.

Sit back, relax and start tossing ideas about how to improve the forum!

If you don't have any new ideas, or perhaps you like things just as they are, you are still welcome to give positive feedback, point out helpful features and members and even suck up to us mods.
I personally take cash.

Let the brainstorming begin!

For the The S&L "First Piece" Project click HERE!

Old 02-13-2008, 11:02 AM   #2
ZanasCross
C(k)=Epsilon(ijk)A(i)B(j)

First.

Like the new avatar Carmel.

That's all the feedback I've got for now.
ZanasCross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 11:09 AM   #3
Confusius
UG Nerd

This forum gave me herpes, is this where I complain?

Call me Kyrl, pronounced Curl

DOIN DAT FUNKY DANCE
Confusius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 11:34 AM   #4
nightraven

whoa s&l is really going glossy
nightraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 03:35 PM   #5
Bleed Away
th.

Wouldn't it be funny if the S+L forum, just like the music world, had like Labels or Teams and they sponser each writer with everything they write. So say if i've written a piece in order for me to release that i would have to give it to my Label or team or whatever in order for it to be posted. And if they thing it's good enough then it's released. Also a sticky thread for each Label or Team can be made to advertise unreleased works that they would like to be read, by posting like a stanza worth of sample or something.

Post back if you guys would like to know more.

Last edited by Bleed Away : 02-13-2008 at 03:38 PM.
Bleed Away is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 06:02 PM   #6
ZanasCross

I can't tell if you are serious or not...

But honestly, to me, that idea seems like its building a hierarchy that doesn't need to exist. Things work well... and implementing that type of thing would take away from new users joining in, me thinks. It would be come like record companies now... if you are good, they'll pick you up... but until then you have to fight tooth and nail to make any progress in the world of S&L, which discourages a friendly atmoshpeher and makes it a competiton to get into the best "label"
Old 02-13-2008, 06:08 PM   #7
Bleed Away
th.

You've a good point, maybe it might work if we had another sub-forum for this
Old 02-13-2008, 06:29 PM   #8
circular.parade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Away
You've a good point, maybe it might work if we had another sub-forum for this

Not going to happen.

However, this idea is interesting. Just difficult to implement to S+L. Maybe an interesting twist for the contest forums though. Right now I don't see this happening, but there's no harm in discussing it to see if we can get something out of this.
Old 02-13-2008, 06:39 PM   #9
grevhead221

I think its fine just the way it is. The only problem that i have is that we arent allowed to post in our own threads after 3 posts. I understand why, but i feel like it takes away a bit. Like ive wanted to respond to my crits, but it won't let me cause im not answering a direct question. I think it would be better if it could be made so that if we do post in our own threads, it wont bump the piece, i mean its easy enough to get other people to crit your piece already. Just crit their piece and ask them to crit yours. Its not hard at all. I just think that we should be able to post more than three times in our own threads without answering a question. Just a thought.
grevhead221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 07:20 PM   #10
Carmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZanasCross
First.

Zach
Old 02-13-2008, 07:22 PM   #11
ZanasCross

Quote:
Originally Posted by circular.parade
[/B]

Not going to happen.

However, this idea is interesting. Just difficult to implement to S+L. Maybe an interesting twist for the contest forums though. Right now I don't see this happening, but there's no harm in discussing it to see if we can get something out of this.

That could be very cool in Contests. Before each season, have the 3 mods pick, "teams" of writers... like 5-7 in each team. Then let the season go. You could collaborate with your team before posting in a comp etc... and you'd let the free lance guys make a name for themselves as it goes etc.

Only problem is then you'd have to worry about people only voting for team members instead of on best piece etc...

EDIT: Carmel
Old 02-13-2008, 07:31 PM   #12
The Hurt Within
Preserving the name...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevhead221
I think its fine just the way it is. The only problem that i have is that we arent allowed to post in our own threads after 3 posts. I understand why, but i feel like it takes away a bit. Like ive wanted to respond to my crits, but it won't let me cause im not answering a direct question. I think it would be better if it could be made so that if we do post in our own threads, it wont bump the piece, i mean its easy enough to get other people to crit your piece already. Just crit their piece and ask them to crit yours. Its not hard at all. I just think that we should be able to post more than three times in our own threads without answering a question. Just a thought.

Well the rule is rarely enforced to such a strict degree. Usually it is more a case of a thread being closed because a writer double posts.

I mean if your post is near the top (or on the first page) it's not going to get closed if you do, it's just a precaution for people bumping from beyond the end of page one.
Also if you crit and it is easily spotted you do, I wouldn't close the thread if you replied after one.

The 3 mods here might enforce some rules that are different to all other forums, but we're not so strict as to close a thread in a situation like you described, and if it was an issue you'd get a verbal warning first anyway. So you know, you can relax a bit more.

Old 02-13-2008, 09:01 PM   #13
bassbeat77
aka Steve2

Quote:
That could be very cool in Contests. Before each season, have the 3 mods pick, "teams" of writers... like 5-7 in each team. Then let the season go. You could collaborate with your team before posting in a comp etc... and you'd let the free lance guys make a name for themselves as it goes etc.

Only problem is then you'd have to worry about people only voting for team members instead of on best piece etc...

I think I suggested something similar a while back. It had the idea of teams anyways. There were a few reasons why it wouldn't have worked though, and I didn't feel like thinking of a way around them. First of all having pre-selected teams would limit the number of people participating in the Contest forum. Yeah we could always do it so newer writers can get drafted, but there would be less willing to participate I think. Mainly because teams would create a more competative atmosphere which may be more intimidating to newer writers.

There were other reasons that I can't remember. I do still think it would be fun to at least give it a try. I think teams would be good for the S+L community, especially if we had enough comps that were team oriented. Were it to happen, I think it might be better to have like 4 - 8 teams with team captains and have those captains do a private draft to make the teams.

Yeah, well I don't know.

Just sayin.

fakeedit: I used to have that pic in your avatar Carmel, but it was just a still image
I like yours better.
bassbeat77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 09:14 PM   #14
jiminizzle
Lost Pilot

the team idea is actually an amusing idea maybe for a run in the contest forum...

Mod's be captains and pick teams maybe? Random teams?

I dunno, maybe it's worth a run if the details can be worked out. If it doesn't work, no real big harm done.

eh, all the input i have right now.

Park that car
Drop that phone
Sleep on the floor
Dream about me
jiminizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 10:03 PM   #15
SomeoneYouKnew
UG God

Quote:
First.

Zack you're an ass-kisser.
Okay, the new Av is kinda nice. I liked the previous one, though.
I'd grown accustomed to the changing colours in the iris.

"We fear change" -- Garth Algar
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmel_l
Welcome to the new feedback thread!

In the spirit of 2008 dawning upon us we have revamped the forum a bit. ...

Dawning? It's nearly Valentine's Day. 2008 is well underway.

Speaking of Valentine's Day,
I'm sure your boyfriend won't mind be giving you some flowers.

http://florists.ftd.com/kernel/imag...ey2=404_feature

I'll leave now, so you can get the lovely hugs and kisses from him.

(Zack, if you're gonna kiss ass, learn from the master. I always find a liberal dose of super glue works wonders.)

I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
SomeoneYouKnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 10:07 PM   #16
Deadmen
Resident Dip****

Neon lights and drugs for every small child!

Add a way to see how many crits a person has given.

Like, seprate from postcount, idk.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:26 PM   #17
jiminizzle
Lost Pilot

don't know if that's possible or necessary.

And peoples style of critiquing and others definitions may vary.

Park that car
Drop that phone
Sleep on the floor
Dream about me
jiminizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 10:35 PM   #18
ZanasCross

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassbeat77
I think I suggested something similar a while back. It had the idea of teams anyways. There were a few reasons why it wouldn't have worked though, and I didn't feel like thinking of a way around them. First of all having pre-selected teams would limit the number of people participating in the Contest forum. Yeah we could always do it so newer writers can get drafted, but there would be less willing to participate I think. Mainly because teams would create a more competative atmosphere which may be more intimidating to newer writers.

There were other reasons that I can't remember. I do still think it would be fun to at least give it a try. I think teams would be good for the S+L community, especially if we had enough comps that were team oriented. Were it to happen, I think it might be better to have like 4 - 8 teams with team captains and have those captains do a private draft to make the teams.

I see your point. I also thing though, that it would be more like the type of thing where in order to get drafted you have to make a name for yourself in the comps too. Like, not as in, "being intimidating to new users" because we wouldn't frown on free-lance guys. Hell, this could be completely separate from the forum too. Something we all do on our own. Something to keep the consistent users in Comps working. Could keep score separately for each team... on another site or forum or via MSN or a group on UG. Make it a "secret" kinda deal just as another fun thing for the regulars. Honestly, how many people become regulars that use the Comps anyways? Since I started a few months ago, Bleed_Away (Fred) and Hope's Downfall (ray) are the only two new ones I know of. BluesyBilly is starting too. It can't be more discouraging than the idea of "competitions" is anyways. I don't know, I think it could be a fun twist to everything.

Each team gets a point toward their tally for each time a member places in a comp. 2 points for a win.
Could have Team v Team, 1v1s... where the team picks one piece to throwout against another team for a point or whatever. Even have a "trophy" to pass around to the winning team to display in their sigs for the next season or whatever.

Just some ideas. I know we've discussed and shot down secret things before... but this really couldn't do any harm, and the idea of being "drafted" could encourage people to put more effort into their work in order to be included. Sort of a "professional league" idea. Who knows.

*waits for Mod to come in and step on my face, and tell my I'm wrong*
Old 02-13-2008, 10:51 PM   #19
bassbeat77
aka Steve2

Quote:
I see your point. I also thing though, that it would be more like the type of thing where in order to get drafted you have to make a name for yourself in the comps too. Like, not as in, "being intimidating to new users" because we wouldn't frown on free-lance guys. Hell, this could be completely separate from the forum too. Something we all do on our own. Something to keep the consistent users in Comps working. Could keep score separately for each team... on another site or forum or via MSN or a group on UG. Make it a "secret" kinda deal just as another fun thing for the regulars. Honestly, how many people become regulars that use the Comps anyways? Since I started a few months ago, Bleed_Away (Fred) and Hope's Downfall (ray) are the only two new ones I know of. BluesyBilly is starting too. It can't be more discouraging than the idea of "competitions" is anyways. I don't know, I think it could be a fun twist to everything.

Each team gets a point toward their tally for each time a member places in a comp. 2 points for a win.
Could have Team v Team, 1v1s... where the team picks one piece to throwout against another team for a point or whatever. Even have a "trophy" to pass around to the winning team to display in their sigs for the next season or whatever.

Just some ideas. I know we've discussed and shot down secret things before... but this really couldn't do any harm, and the idea of being "drafted" could encourage people to put more effort into their work in order to be included. Sort of a "professional league" idea. Who knows.

*waits for Mod to come in and step on my face, and tell my I'm wrong*

I think it could probably work in the Contest forum without having to be secret. Anyone who doesn't want to take part doesn't have to and can just use the contest forum as is.

For points I was thinking we could just keep the same system and just add the team members points together to get the teams total.
bassbeat77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 11:44 PM   #20
hope's downfall
mellow drama queen

i'm not so sure the teams thing is a good idea. for anyone who isn't initially picked for a team or who comes to the forum mid-season, it would be extremely discouraging. even with saying that freelancers would be welcome, that kind of format would be very uninviting and intimidating.

there's undoubtedly going to be a sense of commune between teammates, and whether its true or not, there will be the assumption that people will only vote for people on their team. to a newcomer, this could make the contest forum, and s+l in general, seem very elitist and very unwelcoming.

i mean, as it is its already hard for newbies to make an impact in the forum. if they aren't spectacular or critiquing incessantly(in a good way) they get overlooked. add to that the fact that they would have to compete, completely unsupported, against well established team relationships, and it will be even more intimidating of an environment.

this is just my initial reaction, but i think it could really hurt the s+l community.