Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Bass Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-15-2008, 12:39 PM   #1
Miracle_Man
Registered misUser

How long will it take?

Hey there UG. I play guitar reasonably well and I have been playing for 4 years now. I am interested in taking up bass and I was wondering how long you think it would take for me to become a moderately good bass player. I would be trying to use my fingers, teaching myself from scratch and aiming to practice at least 30 mins a day.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:42 PM   #2
Deliriumbassist
UG's only DB

It's impossible to say, really. It's not about how good a guitarist you are or how much you practice- it's about how well you fit into the bassist's mindset and the quality of your practicing.

Deliriumbassist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 12:44 PM   #3
ValoRhoads
Knight of The Phrygian

well a bass is just a bigger guitar with thicker strings. A four string is the same as the bottom 4 guitar strings: standard tuning E A D G just in a lower octave.
Shouldn't take you long at all to be a good bass player, you'll just have to work on your finger technique and slapping if that is what you wanna do.
On all of my recordings I play both. I built my bass and was recording that night.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:47 PM   #4
Thrall
\/ Yeah, that's me.

couple months probably?
Thrall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 12:47 PM   #5
Micah_Bass22

You really can't predict how long it will take. When I finally got serious and into playing bass took me about 8 months before I feel like im no longer a begginer and more of an intermidate player. And the thought that because you play guitar really has nothing to do with playing bass well. May help you with theory but not actually playing.
Fender Rumble 100 2x10
Concertmate-990 Keyboard
BBE Stomp Sonic Maximizer
Squier Stratocaster
Fender 15w Guitar Amp
Micah_Bass22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 12:47 PM   #6
Deliriumbassist
UG's only DB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValoRhoads
well a bass is just a bigger guitar with thicker strings.

Physically yes. In practice, not really.

Quote:
Shouldn't take you long at all to be a good bass player, you'll just have to work on your finger technique and slapping if that is what you wanna do.

It's not just finger technique and show-off skills. As I said, the mindset is COMPLETELY different.

Old 02-15-2008, 12:50 PM   #7
Aziraphale
Blaster of Muppets

Depends a lot on how good you actually are on guitar. But like Delirium said, although it's a very similar instrument it's a different mindset. A bass is a rhythm instrument, so it's about locking in with the drummer and driving the song. You can of course venture into the world of basslines, for example the guitar may play a G chord but you could turn that into five or six different chords just by playing other notes on the bass. That stuff is always fun because you can really make a song change entirely.
Aziraphale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 12:51 PM   #8
Deliriumbassist
UG's only DB

I also want to add that basss is a strength instrument- there may be some crossover with techniques, but the way to approach similar guitar techniques is different.

Old 02-15-2008, 12:52 PM   #9
flapz

I've been playing for about 6 months for at least an hour a day, and I still feel like a beginner. Also, I played the guitar for about a year before that but didn't get very far with it.
flapz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 12:52 PM   #10
Deliriumbassist
UG's only DB

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapz
I've been playing for about 6 months for at least an hour a day, and I still feel like a beginner. Also, I played the guitar for about a year before that but didn't get very far with it.

Conversely, I started on bass, and when I picked up a guitar I felt like a complete n00b on it.

Old 02-15-2008, 12:55 PM   #11
Micah_Bass22

Ha anytime i used pick up a guitar I played basslines on it :p. But now i've gotten ok at it. I know some guitar riffs and some chords. But my first and only love is still Bass <3
Fender Rumble 100 2x10
Concertmate-990 Keyboard
BBE Stomp Sonic Maximizer
Squier Stratocaster
Fender 15w Guitar Amp
Micah_Bass22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 12:59 PM   #12
flapz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliriumbassist
Conversely, I started on bass, and when I picked up a guitar I felt like a complete n00b on it.

It's weird, I quit the guitar in the first place due to frustration of not being able to play chords well because of my stubby fingers. I went back recently to try again and all the stretching and strengthening the bass did to my fingers made playing chords much easier than before. I should really give it another shot.
flapz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 01:03 PM   #13
skippy_moogoose
30 Rhythm Points...O yeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliriumbassist

I cannot get the hang of guitar

put nor can I get the hang of picks, lol, its funny, I have tiny hands and play bass, my bro has massive hands and these looooong fingers, and plays guitar...it should be the other way round, but he can't grasp bass, just as I cant grast guitar, mindset is totally different, as you said ol' chap

to TS, just becuase you're good on one doesn't mean you'll be good on the other anytime soon, but guess you've got some theory knowledge and what not, that should help,my advice, learn how to hold the neck like a bassist, no more thumb peeping over the neck....that be your pivot now boy!!

and use the songs to learn thread on here to help get into the spirit of things
skippy_moogoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 01:58 PM   #14
anarkee
oh the horror!

I played guitar for years before picking up bass. I would say that it took me about 6 months to be able to play moderately well.

To play competently, tbh, it took about 18 months of lessons (I had a ****load of bad habits to work through). Part of the problem (other than bad habits) was the mindset. You really need to leave most of your guitar technique behind and approach bass as a totally different instrument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutter_101
Don't you mean "Why do we alcoholics keep taking about bass?"?
anarkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 05:50 PM   #15
damienblack333
Hammer Smashed Bass

like delirium, i started bass and then switched to guitar for a while. learning my first song on bass took about 3 months (stuff like Static X's push it and some simple rammstein bass) guitar it took me all of a day to pick up seek and destroy and Everlast's what its like.

i wish you would have defined moderately good. if you just want to play in the pocket and play the roots. shouldnt take too long to pick up. learning runs a few months
damienblack333 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: