Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Pop Punk & Emo
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-10-2008, 10:21 PM   #81
Jericho114
is probably hiiigh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by original=punk
OH THANK YOU ALMIGHTY MUSIC GENIUS FOR SHOWING ME THE WAY.

How about no? rock could be anything from Velvet Revolver to The Hives.
That's why there are subgenres, so I know what I want to listen to. for example, the hives are awesome. and Velvet Revolver suck. So if they're both rock bands, and I ask someone if they know a good rock band, they may tell me to listen to VR but I mean garage rock stuff like The hives. so I Say Garage Rock. not rock.

That's the dumbest thing I have ever read. You basically create genres when a band you don't like plays the same genre music you like. just so that you can avoid any association to that band with the bands you like.

Do you like "EVERY" garage rock band? I sure hope not, and if that's the case what you just said pretty much makes no sense. Or will you just find some stupid sub genre like "Metal Garage Rock" to call it and hate on?

Vote here to help me get to BC!
Jericho114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 10:23 PM   #82
Its_Rock77
Anthony Green Fanboy <3

that's not what he said. he used that example to show how not using subgenres is extremely not beneficial (excuse my grammar there ) to the music scene.

...You're still disappointing them...
Its_Rock77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 10:32 PM   #83
Jericho114
is probably hiiigh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Its_Rock77
that's not what he said. he used that example to show how not using subgenres is extremely not beneficial (excuse my grammar there ) to the music scene.

Not really. No one got confused before when genres were kept to a minimum, it only makes things worse. When you name off genre's of bands no one has ever heard of, you're not going to get much help finding said genre of band.

You can sit around and call your music whatever genre you want.

I personally play NEO-JERICHO-ROCK!

Ever heard of it? No.

Well it's a genre now guys, and it includes everything I've ever wrote plus since I take influence from some pop-punk bands, a lot of pop-riffs are similar to my NEO-JERICHO-ROCK but not quite the same so you can consider a lot of those bands to be part NEO-JERICHO-ROCK also.

The next album I put out though is going to be Post-Numetal-Bluegrass, I personally can't wait.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:36 PM   #84
original=punk
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericho114
Not really. No one got confused before when genres were kept to a minimum, it only makes things worse. When you name off genre's of bands no one has ever heard of, you're not going to get much help finding said genre of band.

O rly? So, say i told someone I liked metal. so they send me all their favourite metal bands. But it's all nu-metal and gothic metal. I don't like that kind of metal. They just wasted my time, I got all excited for listening to thse sick metal bands, but I dislike the style of music.
original=punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 10:42 PM   #85
Jericho114
is probably hiiigh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by original=punk
O rly? So, say i told someone I liked metal. so they send me all their favourite metal bands. But it's all nu-metal and gothic metal. I don't like that kind of metal. They just wasted my time, I got all excited for listening to thse sick metal bands, but I dislike the style of music.

So what if they send you all "metal" bands, but you still just don't happen to like any of them and their style. Does that mean you don't like the whole metal genre anymore?

Old 09-10-2008, 10:53 PM   #86
Its_Rock77
Anthony Green Fanboy <3

dude, Jericho this is getting extremely bothersome. this is a fight that you're not gonna win.

Subgenres were made to distinguish, and that's what they do. It's possible to love Black Metal but hate Power Metal. It's possible to love pop rock but hate classic rock. You could love emo but hate "emo" (had to throw that one in there ). each subgenres isn't really a subgenre at all. Every subgenre is its own style of music. If all music in a single genre was the same, there'd be no music.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:54 PM   #87
jerm__

I like metal, Melodic Death Metal mostly, does that make anyone happy?
-Maxon OD-9, Dunlop 535Q Wah, EHX Deluxe Memory Man, MXR 10-band EQ, MXR Super Comp
Melodeath: www.myspace.com/incarnia
UG Gain Whore
jerm__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 11:07 PM   #88
lolmnt
Earth of the Butt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Its_Rock77
dude, Jericho this is getting extremely bothersome. this is a fight that you're not gonna win.

Subgenres were made to distinguish, and that's what they do. It's possible to love Black Metal but hate Power Metal. It's possible to love pop rock but hate classic rock. You could love emo but hate "emo" (had to throw that one in there ). each subgenres isn't really a subgenre at all. Every subgenre is its own style of music. If all music in a single genre was the same, there'd be no music.
Exactly right.

Subgenres have been around since the beginning of rock music (ever hear of rockabilly?) They're especially important nowadays because rock is an extremely broad term. Punk doesn't sound like metal, Hardcore doesn't sound like pop rock, ect. Even within these subgenres more subgenres are needed. The Queers don't sound like the Damned, so there's your pop punk. Korn doesn't sound like Metallica. So it's needed to explain what bands sound like.

If I'm a fan of pop punk and want some more bands somebody can help me out. If I went up to somebody and asked for a rock band they might tell me Led Zeppelin or Eric Clapton. Now you can't tell me that the Queers have a lot in common with Eric Clapton.

I'm sure most of this was said in other posts.
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
lolmnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 01:36 AM   #89
Jericho114
is probably hiiigh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by element4433
Exactly right.

Subgenres have been around since the beginning of rock music (ever hear of rockabilly?) They're especially important nowadays because rock is an extremely broad term. Punk doesn't sound like metal, Hardcore doesn't sound like pop rock, ect. Even within these subgenres more subgenres are needed. The Queers don't sound like the Damned, so there's your pop punk. Korn doesn't sound like Metallica. So it's needed to explain what bands sound like.

That's dumb. Eventually there is going to be so many genres of music that no one will be able to keep track. I looked up the list of "every music genre" in Google and it is already ridiculously long with so many "sub" genres which would be better off put into one of the many other insignificant categories. According to what you and these guys are saying you need a new genre every time a band comes out that has something slightly unique? Or is it when so many bands copy another bands style you need to bring out a new genre? I just don't get how you can say just because a band is slightly unique in a way it deserves it's own category of music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by element4433
If I'm a fan of pop punk and want some more bands somebody can help me out. If I went up to somebody and asked for a rock band they might tell me Led Zeppelin or Eric Clapton. Now you can't tell me that the Queers have a lot in common with Eric Clapton.

I'm sure most of this was said in other posts.

Is it so hard to just say a band similar to what you want to hear? Any normal person will understand what you're talking about. Go to your parents or anyone that is over 30 and say things like Metalcore, Nu-Metal, Emo, or any other crazy useless category that has been made up recently, they will think you're crazy. Then let them listen, and I bet most of them will say it's one of a few things if not just new rock music.

Rock
Alternative
Metal
Shitty

Simple and clean folks. That's all you need.

Old 09-11-2008, 08:20 AM   #90
Its_Rock77
Anthony Green Fanboy <3

Quote:
According to what you and these guys are saying you need a new genre every time a band comes out that has something slightly unique?

no.

There's no need to continue this argument. You have proven yourself ignorant and stupid.

Old 09-11-2008, 09:03 AM   #91
frodoisdead
Love, Ire & Song.

subgenres aren't a necessity but it makes things easier to distinguish.
jericho, you should just cool off. your arguements are going round in circles.
now, let's talk about all time low...

emos forever
:-(
frodoisdead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 01:08 PM   #92
Jericho114
is probably hiiigh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frodoisdead
subgenres aren't a necessity but it makes things easier to distinguish.
jericho, you should just cool off. your arguements are going round in circles.
now, let's talk about all time low...

I agree we should get back on topic but before we do. Look at the list of "all music genres' and tell me how that makes things less complicated and easier to distinguish? Do you really need to tell me to cool off? Did you not see the post which included

"OH THANK YOU ALMIGHTY MUSIC GENIUS FOR SHOWING ME THE WAY."

Looks to me like someone took the whole thing a little to personal from the very beginning.

I might argue in circles but nothing I said is me going off. Honestly you guys would die in a debate, it's like as soon as anyone argues their point in this place you duck down and play the "Don't take internet debates serious" route, which is cool with me and all but then don't include yourself in that particular discussion or just don't come to forums.

Not to mention it's not just me stating my side of the discussion it was another poster first, whom I agreed with so there is no way you guys can just assume you're all right and end the conversation.

I now fully understand why the description of this thread includes "go cry in a cold pillow in an empty bed here." It seems conflict and difference of opinion is unwelcome.

Old 09-11-2008, 03:28 PM   #93
Guitarist132
sam

Sub genres are very helpful and necessary.

I may go see all time low when they come to dc..out of boredom

Yeah you were right about me
Guitarist132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 04:11 PM   #94
Wheel

I love Atl personally.

Me and my band covered 2 of their songs if you wanna check us out haha www.myspace.com/mainlitcity
3.Moneta
Wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 08:49 PM   #95
hayz_182

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowsWithGuns
You must not know anything about music, film, literature, poetry, performance art, painting or sculpture.

Compare The 3 Stooges to The 12 Chairs. They are both under the genre of comedy but they are definitely not in the same subgenre. Dead Kennedys and Zounds are both punk bands. Black Sabbath and Cannibal Corpse are both metal bands. Tell me that they are similar enough that they don't belong in subgernres.

I agree that they aren't all the same, but the sub genre's im talking about are those in which someone says a band is one thing and other people are like no they're post punk thrash core crap...it's bullshit! genre's do need to be broken down but just not to the point where it turns into this big argument over what genre a band should be placed in, coz it's all music in the end.

ATL are awesome!
hayz_182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 08:53 PM   #96
original=punk
Banned

Quote:
Looks to me like someone took the whole thing a little to personal from the very beginning.

You f*ck with CWG, you f*ck with me.
original=punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 11:35 AM   #97
frodoisdead
Love, Ire & Song.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarist132
Sub genres are very helpful and necessary.

I may go see all time low when they come to dc..out of boredom
i'm sure there are far better cures for boredom than watching all time low...

emos forever
:-(
frodoisdead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 01:15 PM   #98
the1

love ATL
the1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 01:17 PM   #99
the1

And The Party Scene is such a great debut
the1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 01:28 PM   #100
Photograph
User Banana'd

I love all time low! Gave me a good inspiration to start my band I thought if they could do it so young, I thought why not I have a try I have all their albums (including The Party Scene, Three Words to remember With Dealing The End and the unreleased songs :P). They are funny people I must say. Put or Shut Up, best EP EVAR!! I love all those songs. On my play count it says I've played Coffee Shop Soundtrack like 1957 times! (Pics if people don't believe :P). One more thing... I WANT ALEX GASKARTH'S HAIR

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaGonzo
What Amps do they use?

Oh both guitarists use Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifiers :P

Alex uses three different coloured Gibson SG-Xs, but recently alex has been using a PRS or something. I need to look up on that.

Jack just uses the usual Gibson SG. Two actually, white and black.

And I'm not sure about Zack but would I be correct on saying that he uses a Fender Precision bass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalonbladE
I ****ing love you.

Last edited by Photograph : 09-17-2008 at 01:33 PM.
Photograph is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: