Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > New Members Q&A Forum
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-23-2015, 02:28 PM   #1
supersafe

Best Acoustic Guitar For Under 120?

Currently looking at the Yamaha F310 and the Ibanez PC12MH-OPN...

I can already play chords etc, but have never owned my own guitar and am probably somewhat of a beginner still.

So one of those two or another one entirely...?

Thanks in advance.
supersafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 03:57 AM   #2
fawad147

Hi mate,

Im in the same boat and have been looking into what acoustic to get.

Not sure on those two but have heard that Yamaha are pretty reasonable for beginners.

However Washburn WD7S also looks very well built and if you can stretch to 150 you will be able to get the Washburn WD10S which looks like it has a lot of good elements to it.

Im still undecided myself on what to get and I am looking for advice too.

What attracted you to those two guitars?

thanks
fawad147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 05:24 PM   #3
FL_Bob2002

You only get what you pay for. Dont get too cheap of a guitar, My suggestion is always buy a guitar that is going to hold its value so as to trade it up when buying a newer one.
Gibson is the best, Epiphone, Washburn, Martin guitars are good ones that will last
FL_Bob2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 11:31 PM   #4
Asecretchord
Ph.D in Drinking Milk

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersafe

I can already play chords etc, but have never owned my own guitar and am probably somewhat of a beginner still.

Thanks in advance.

from my personal experience, I will never get an Ibanez acoustic guitar. Electric is a different story though. If you're intending on only getting one of those two, go for the Yamaha is my personal take, however for beginning guitarists, I like to recommend Washburns or Seagulls. Seagulls are a tad bit more expensive, but they sound great for the price.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Asecretchord/
Asecretchord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:56 PM   #5
I_M_3rd

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersafe

Thanks in advance.

This is just my opinion, but from what I've seen:
it matters what the use is:
1) If it's for just fun/showing off to friends/family: I'd say try to buy a used guitar from a local music store (though depending, actual stores can be pricey if they aren't a part of an actual company). When looking for a good one, you'll just want it to hold it's tune and have great acoustics/projection. If you don't care about looks, the cheaper the better, eh?
2) If it's for preforming at a camp/church/local event: You'll want something which looks public appropriate (probably just stained wood or even a sunburn [sunburn guitar patterns impress EVERYONE. Just sayin' from my experience]), which has a pickup/hookup for an amp, and it should sound decent and be pretty easy to replace the strings (some guitars just have impossibly difficult tuners (from my experience)). I'd go for an Ibenez or an Epiphone (my guitar is an Epiphone. Not to have a GREAT opinion, but it held its tune for 4 months, and it projects super loud).
3) If you have time, buy a $30 learning guitar (assuming you don't have one), and wait for holiday sales. In America, the best sales are from the last 2 weeks in November to the last week in December. You can get $200-300 guitars for under $150 (if you buy from the right companies).
3) If it's for tabs/fingerpicking/classical guitar: Go for a yamaha or something affordable like that. Yamahas used to be good (some still are), but imho, they're a dying breed. Used Yamahas (in decent condition) have sold at $75-$300 at my guitar Centre

I'd say my tips are that if you're buying off the internet on sale, see if you can find that same guitar somewhere near you to just preview. Listen to see how loud it projects (you'll hear it. It will be massively awesome), how delicate you need to strum for it to sound nice, and ask the owner (or store owner) how long it's kept it's tune (tuning my guitar is one of my biggest pet peeves.)

One thing you might want to note is that the more common the name, the more people will know how to fix it, or different problems it has.

Please tell us/me if you find something you REALLY like!!!

-LukeS
I_M_3rd

P.S. Some great guitar names:
Beginner-Intermediate (small price): Gibson, Yamaha, Epiphone, and some off brand guitars
Intermediate-AdvancedInter: Talkimine (lifetime repairs at most stores), Epiphone, Martin, Fender (These WILL get over $100 definately)
Advanced: Taylor, Fender

The guitars I've owned in order: Yamaha, Gibson, Epiphone, and Taylor (saving up for a taylor which I know I want (I've played it))

I've noted these because i've played on them. I'm sure there are other great companies out there though!

Last edited by I_M_3rd : Yesterday at 09:57 PM.
I_M_3rd is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: