Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > New Members Q&A Forum
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-22-2014, 06:08 PM   #1
pandalee

Exclamation please help me to decide (important)

Hello guys, i have a really important question , it's going to be a fairly long text but i'd be greatful for every opinion and advice. (english is not my native language i hope you don't mind )

The situation
a few year ago the tendons in my left hand were cut off (car accident) i coudn't even lift a finger, after the surgery i was able to move my fingers normally, with 2 little (but for the guitar important things) i can't bend my hand in the right way, it's only maybe 1/3 less than before, it makes it nearly impossible to play while standing(and my left hand is a little bit slower, but i never wanted to play fast stuff and it's maybe only 10 -15% slower than before) , only if i hold the guitar really high (something like those classical guitarists, only while standing,) but it's ok as long as i sit while playing, the next little problem is my little finger is a little bit stiff, it's too har to hit the E-A string ... basically with 3 fingers is it worth still playing ? i've been playing for 7 months(before the accident), you could still consider me as a newb (advanced noob)

photos of my hand http://postimg.org/gallery/d3613a92/

i don't matter playing while sitting for the rest of my life, im not in a band i don't have to play on gigs, the real problem is my stiff little finger, is it still worth learning and playing it with 3 fingers ? i can use my pinkie for the 3 lower strings,
i want to play grunge/ blues / classic (learning every nirvana song is a must for me )

The question
is this a huge problem ? should a keep on going or trying it out with a guitar for "lefties"
is it really a huge handicap, ofc i like playing but it just makes me mad every time when i have ti you my pinkie, should i switch to the bass guitar ( i used to play the bass before i picked up a guitar) with the bass i think that it is easier to use my pinkie because i don't have to worry about muting the other strings(most of the time)
pandalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 06:28 PM   #2
Elegitii
Just your average UGer

7 months?
Dude, just keep at it. Everyone has trouble playing standing up. Definitely keep working with your pinky, it's everyone's weakest finger, you're just gonna have to work a little harder. Try to slowly get used to using your pinky.
Just keep practising.
Sorry is this was utterly useless, it usually is...

Comic Sans is Life
Elegitii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 06:39 PM   #3
Fallenoath
My minds playin' tricks

Yeah, guitar is something that you can spend a lifetime on and still have sooo much to learn. Just keep at it. 7 months is nothing.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute
1999 Ibanez RG470 (MIJ)
Peavey 6505+
Egnater Tweaker 15 (Yeah, I tweak)
Fallenoath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 11:15 PM   #4
M00NAGEDAYDREAM
don't fake it baby

sorry to hear that man but don't let it discourage you

plus,

ever heard of django reinhardt?
Old 11-25-2014, 10:18 PM   #5
pandalee

Quote:
Originally Posted by M00NAGEDAYDREAM
sorry to hear that man but don't let it discourage you

plus,

ever heard of django reinhardt?

wow !!! thanks a lot ! never heard of heard of django but after reading this and seeing a guy without a ringfinger playing on youtube, i feel kinda stupid, thanks a lot i wont stop for sure !!!
pandalee is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: