Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > New Members Q&A Forum
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 05-25-2014, 04:16 AM   #1
big_paul_ski
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
How old is too old.

Ok guys I hope this is not a stupid but here goes. I started playing the guitar at the age of 9 and got extremly good. Was always told how I kicked ass etc. Played all kinds of 80s hair band music with strong guitarists, van halen being my favorite. Eddie is my god. Could play so many of his songs and solos. I played until I was 20. Had a family and ended up selling all my gear etc. I never thought I would play again and when I would think about it over the years it was very painful. I am now going to turn 41 in August and want back in the game. I'm about to purchase the wolfgang stealth, the 5150 III combo amp or 50 watt head and cab and all the pedals I think I'll need. My question is am I too old to get back to the skill level I was at when I was 20? Could I get even better? I am scared shittles I'm going to be dissapointed.
big_paul_ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 05:42 AM   #2
dazdonovan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Hi Big Paul,

If it's worth anything I only took up Guitar last year for the very first time when I was working in Holland at the age of 42. Within the space of 9 months I'm at a level where I'm confident enough to play down the local Bar and really enjoying it. I think a guy like you within 12 months from now should be back to where you were and better.

Best of luck
Daz
dazdonovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 11:49 AM   #3
big_paul_ski
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazdonovan
Hi Big Paul,

If it's worth anything I only took up Guitar last year for the very first time when I was working in Holland at the age of 42. Within the space of 9 months I'm at a level where I'm confident enough to play down the local Bar and really enjoying it. I think a guy like you within 12 months from now should be back to where you were and better.

Best of luck
Daz


Thanks for the responce and very cool man. That's very impressive and gives me hope. I just need to realize that it won't happen over night getting my chops back.
big_paul_ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 11:52 AM   #4
icronic
...
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Vancouver, BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by big_paul_ski
My question is am I too old to get back to the skill level I was at when I was 20? Could I get even better? I am scared shittles I'm going to be dissapointed.


I've seen 60 year olds who've never played an instrument in their lives learn to play guitar, and play it well. So really as long as you've got the time and are willing to put in a bit of practice you shouldn't have any trouble relearning your skills.
icronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 12:54 PM   #5
big_paul_ski
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by icronic
I've seen 60 year olds who've never played an instrument in their lives learn to play guitar, and play it well. So really as long as you've got the time and are willing to put in a bit of practice you shouldn't have any trouble relearning your skills.


Very good to hear and I have plenty of time. It's truely a passion of mine.
big_paul_ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 02:07 PM   #6
Cajundaddy
Registered User
 
Cajundaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: SoCal
Just jump back in the water is fine. After gigging Hollywood for 10 years I put my guitar in the case and raised my kids. I re-entered the music scene when the kids were in HS and didn't need so much direct attention. We gig a couple times a month and it is a blast. My bass player is 65 and still kicks serious ass. You will play differently now than when you were young. Some things will be better and maybe some not. Age= life experience and is not a barrier to learning.
__________________
Guthrie on tone:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY

“Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It’s the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use.” - SRV

Last edited by Cajundaddy : 05-25-2014 at 02:12 PM.
Cajundaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 03:20 PM   #7
big_paul_ski
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajundaddy
Just jump back in the water is fine. After gigging Hollywood for 10 years I put my guitar in the case and raised my kids. I re-entered the music scene when the kids were in HS and didn't need so much direct attention. We gig a couple times a month and it is a blast. My bass player is 65 and still kicks serious ass. You will play differently now than when you were young. Some things will be better and maybe some not. Age= life experience and is not a barrier to learning.


very well said and thanks you.
big_paul_ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 04:54 PM   #8
AngryHatter
Position Player
 
AngryHatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: SoCal
No, never too late. Especially since you played earlier.
Have a blast.
AngryHatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 08:44 PM   #9
Papabear505
Registered User
 
Papabear505's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
41??? our youngest member is 40... I'll be 50 in November... Still rockin' on the weekends... Playing the local bar scene, having a blast!... Don't get me wrong.. the "We're gonna make it big" ship sailed long ago... but we have fun... Just Play man!!..
__________________
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Papabear505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 10:09 PM   #10
ACSguitar
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
rock on brutha
ACSguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 10:15 PM   #11
big_paul_ski
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papabear505
41??? our youngest member is 40... I'll be 50 in November... Still rockin' on the weekends... Playing the local bar scene, having a blast!... Don't get me wrong.. the "We're gonna make it big" ship sailed long ago... but we have fun... Just Play man!!..


i didnt mean we are old but wanted to know if i could get back to the way i was 20 years ago. like can a 40 year old who has never picked up the guitar have the ability to plack rock guitar with all the soloing. i know rhythm guitar would easily attainable at 40. i blelieve i will have an edge on a 40 year old who as never played.
i dont want to make it big but just be great again. i have no problem taking all the time and hours as i used to because i just flat out love it and find it a ton of fun and therapeutic.
big_paul_ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 05:33 AM   #12
StuartBahn
Registered User
 
StuartBahn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
__________________
Professional Guitarist and Guitar Educator
www.StuartBahn.com
Join my mailing list to receive a FREE EBOOK on creating an effective practice regime.
StuartBahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 08:39 AM   #13
ricka47
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
I'm 63 and played guitar from when I was about 16 though maybe my late 20's. I took up drums when I was 60 and just started playing guitar again. The difference now is that I'm more interested in learning how to do things properly and to learn more about music theory than I did when I was younger. There are so many online tools now and great programs available that make it easier to learn. I just had my weekly lesson 40 years ago.

My hands don't move as fast as I'd like (neither do my feet on drums). But I'm having fun and that's why I do it!
__________________
Rick Abshier
______________________________
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute, Yamaha FD01S Acoustic,
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
ricka47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 09:25 AM   #14
Papabear505
Registered User
 
Papabear505's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by big_paul_ski
i didnt mean we are old but wanted to know if i could get back to the way i was 20 years ago.
I didn't take offense... Old Guys Rock!!.. besides that, an edge on the younger guys, my "Day Job" has been a career for longer than most of the youngsters have been alive, and I can afford better stuff... LOL As far as your ability goes, it's like Riding a bike... things are jerky and not very smooth in the beginning, but the more you play, the more that comes back...

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_paul_ski
like can a 40 year old who has never picked up the guitar have the ability to plack rock guitar with all the soloing. i know rhythm guitar would easily attainable at 40.
Over think much?..


Quote:
Originally Posted by big_paul_ski
i blelieve i will have an edge on a 40 year old who as never played. i dont want to make it big but just be great again. i have no problem taking all the time and hours as i used to because i just flat out love it and find it a ton of fun and therapeutic.
Just Play... get on YouTube, find Backing tracks for the stuff you want to play and let 'er RIP!!! when you get comfortable, get on Craig's list, or get with the music director of your church, or something... find like minded musicians in your area... there are a ton of us "Old guys" that just want to play...
__________________
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Papabear505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 05:34 PM   #15
dalehaz
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Good comments and all supportive, I took up my classic nylon after a 40 yr hiatus, glad to be back and having fun, also good to be able to afford the "good" stuff. My last guitar cost me about $60.00, forty years ago that was a big chunk. When I went to sea I gave the guitar to my girl friend, now that was foolish.
dalehaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 02:53 PM   #16
easylistener7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by big_paul_ski
Ok guys I hope this is not a stupid but here goes. I started playing the guitar at the age of 9 and got extremly good. Was always told how I kicked ass etc. Played all kinds of 80s hair band music with strong guitarists, van halen being my favorite. Eddie is my god. Could play so many of his songs and solos. I played until I was 20. Had a family and ended up selling all my gear etc. I never thought I would play again and when I would think about it over the years it was very painful. I am now going to turn 41 in August and want back in the game. I'm about to purchase the wolfgang stealth, the 5150 III combo amp or 50 watt head and cab and all the pedals I think I'll need. My question is am I too old to get back to the skill level I was at when I was 20? Could I get even better? I am scared shittles I'm going to be dissapointed.

No brother music has no age. I am 55 and a newb at the 6 string (playing since 2006). I was a percussionist for years and like you quit due to life getting in the way. I play a lot nowadays (play with wife's father a lot of 40's stuff) and (a lot of 70's to 90's with her cousin). Eddie is my music god too but I am still not near his level.
Keep rockin' bro!
easylistener7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 06:16 PM   #17
big_paul_ski
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by easylistener7
No brother music has no age. I am 55 and a newb at the 6 string (playing since 2006). I was a percussionist for years and like you quit due to life getting in the way. I play a lot nowadays (play with wife's father a lot of 40's stuff) and (a lot of 70's to 90's with her cousin). Eddie is my music god too but I am still not near his level.
Keep rockin' bro!

Thank you man and lots of nice comments in here to help build my confidence.
big_paul_ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:56 PM   #18
StarGeezerTim
Guitar Geezer
 
StarGeezerTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Syracuse, NY
Never too late, bro. I turn 50 in a couple of weeks and have been really thinking about picking it back up again. I was concerned because I have two really crappy acoustics here and the action on both is really messed up. After asking around, I decided I'd pick up an electric as usually the action is much better and would be easier for me to play (I have some moderate arthritis, so figured maybe this could also serve as a form of physical therapy to keep my fingers a bit more limber.)

Long story short, did some digging around and asked some questions, and finally pulled the trigger on a guitar and amp (both used) through Guitar Center yesterday. They arrived today, and I couldn't be happier with my choice.

I have no illusions I'll be the next big thing. If I can get some personal entertainment jamming here at home, or maybe getting together with a couple buddies over some beers and blues, call me a happy guy.

Funny story: when I called up the GC asking about the amp, I just started BS'ing with the manager and told him this was a birthday gift for a 50 year old. He said not only is that not unusual, but that he was personally acquainted with a guy who never picked up an instrument until he was 51-52, and now at 55 has already played on an album. So never say never!
__________________
I am a StarGeezer: some call me..."Tim."*

* - Heartfelt apologies to Monty Python for blatant plagiarism. Those responsible have been sacked.
__________
  • Epiphone G-400 "Goth"
  • Peavey Vypyr 75 Amp
StarGeezerTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 08:44 AM   #19
jackde
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Last year at 63 I pulled my old Yamaha acoustic out of the basement after 25 years. I only strum chords but enjoy playing every day even if it's only for a few mins.
jackde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:09 AM   #20
shogunai
Registered User
 
shogunai's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
One of the few things that will last forever is music, and anything old or new can produce sound that can be blending together. As long as your fingers work, your never too old to play. I'm currently 27 years old an I plan on playing until my heart takes its last beat. No dreams of playing professionally, its definitely a passion an hobby and bring joy to myself an others. Kudos to all that play an stick with it no matter how old. With music the skies holds no limits.

This message was brought to you by your favorite neighborhood guitar playing samurai
__________________
Fender Standard Stratocaster
Fender Mustang II V2 Amp

Last edited by shogunai : 06-13-2014 at 09:11 AM.
shogunai is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:14 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.