Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  

Old 02-25-2008, 12:12 PM   #21
Originally Posted by The Eyebrow
Sad But True rhythm guitar?

totally true. it's so completely different to the melody. master of puppets on the other hand, i always thought was quite easy because most of the singing comes over chuggy parts.
stwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 12:14 PM   #22
Through The Fire And Flames. Not even DragonForce can do it!
Originally Posted by H4T3BR33D3R
I masturbated in front of a mirror and I pretended Bob Barker was giving me a handjob.

Originally Posted by Bazilisck311
You know you're a guitar player if the pianist at your wedding plays "Eruption"
MmmCesium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 03:07 PM   #23
Originally Posted by metal_dan
anything by the fall of troy

i saw some live vids and the thom sucks at playing guitar while singing
Dyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 03:36 PM   #24
I know this doesn't fit the heavy metal suggestions everyone else has, but check out Dave Matthews' solo version of the stone, pretty tough one to play and sing...
greg_705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 09:58 PM   #25
Children Of Bodom ~ Cry of the Nihilist
The timing is so hard to get down with the singing. That and the riffs are jumping all over the place and strangely timed.
ConnorBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 04:36 AM   #26
i remember a clinic paul gilbert had near my town

he talked about this very subject, and he recommended trying to get the intro to ac/dc's tnt with all the 'oi!'s in time as a damn good exercise for this sort of thing
perplexedEmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 08:49 AM   #27
I have to say a number of things listed here I have never heard of so I'll direct my answer to types of songs that are difficult to sing and play simultaneously. You mention the Police. Many Police songs are hard to sing and play at the same time for a number of reasons. Let's look at "Roxanne". It has strange (but awesome) chord inversions and the reggae beat and rhythm of the song is pretty difficult to play without singing. The vocal melody doesn't match the rhythm pattern so you have to know either the guitar part without consciously thinking about it or be able to sing it without thinking. It's very hard to do both. I know people will point out that it's Sting singing and Andy Summers playing guitar but there are live examples of Sting doing it by himself on guitar on YouTube and he does it effortlessly. If you perform live by yourself or work in a band where you both sing and play guitar these things come up quite often. It's often a challenge but something you just learn to do.

I'd add "Money for Nothing" by Dire Straits. You have to fight not to sing along with the guitar riff.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.

Last edited by Rickholly74 : 09-10-2015 at 08:54 AM.
Rickholly74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 10:12 AM   #28
Likes Satchurated fat.
Holy necrobump Batman!

Anyway OT, I don't think much is going to be harder than Protest The Hero to sing and play at the same time.
Random3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 11:26 AM   #29
Originally Posted by Manjinken
ive been singing and playing at the same time for a while. I even do it with songs where the singer isnt even the guitarist or bassist, just for 1)thew sake of being able to do it and 2)so i dont seem as unentertaining when playing without a band.

but anyway what are some hard songs to play and sing at the same time? I wanna perfect this art.

Raul Midon, Bruce Cockburn acoustic solo material ( Slice of Life album), Monte Montgomery, Hendrix - They are all exceptional guitarists who also sing while playing - Hendrix will be the most accessible.

If you want challenges, you'll find them there.
reverb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 12:21 PM   #30
UG's Fedora Enthusiast
ConnorBrennan, This thread is from ****ing 2008. TS isn't checking this thread 7 years later. Don't revive threads from 2008. Idiot.

Last edited by vayne92 : 09-10-2015 at 12:25 PM.
vayne92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 03:04 PM   #31
Vinnie Moore - Last Ride Home. Got to nail the HEY in it around 3:21
mabbamam is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: