Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-24-2008, 11:54 PM   #1
twisty571

Hagstrom Owners Thread

Well I did a search using Hagstrom and saw a lot of new talk here about them. So why not have a thread and see them I am really liking mine and doubt I could have got anything better for the price I paid
My pic's suck,they do no justice to show how nice the finish is
Wild Cherry F200

http://www.hagstromguitars.com/index.html

Last edited by twisty571 : 03-02-2008 at 04:03 PM.
twisty571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 11:58 PM   #2
philthy335
independent problematique

does having the switch that close to the input jack ever become a problem?

*schecter C-1xxx w/kent armstrong distortion and ultra distortion p/u
crate palomino v16 (usa)
EH big muff (nyc)
EH small stone (russia)

SCHECTERS UNITE!
PalOmInOOO
philthy335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 11:59 PM   #3
twisty571

not so far,actually the cord input shaft is longer than the switch so it would take some thrashing to get the"soft" part of the cord to hit the switch
Old 02-25-2008, 12:00 AM   #4
Fuzzbox91
UGs only Diamond Head fan

hagstroms have good tone but i must say whoever designs them is on some serious crack.
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
Fuzzbox91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 12:01 AM   #5
djmay71
Banned

i don't have a hagstrom, but the singer in my band has a Hagstrom Viking.

btw: i don't recommend the Viking because it doesn't sound acoustic-y when not plugged in
djmay71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 12:03 AM   #6
twisty571

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzbox91
hagstroms have good tone but i must say whoever designs them is on some serious crack.

that body style has been around since the late 50's/early 60's The new 1's are based on the old 1's and the Swede is suppose to be identical from my understanding. Slim,fast action,not neck heavy

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmay71
i don't have a hagstrom, but the singer in my band has a Hagstrom Viking.

btw: i don't recommend the Viking because it doesn't sound acoustic-y when not plugged in

I've actually heard alot of good things about the Viking,that was the guitar people spoke about when I asked,more than the Swede?

Last edited by twisty571 : 02-25-2008 at 12:06 AM.
Old 02-25-2008, 12:31 AM   #7
kiefermatot
Banned

I use a Hagstrom at band practices when I'm too lazy to bring my own gear. It r00lz.
kiefermatot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 01:02 AM   #8
Wulver
Nothing is Real

I'm looking into getting a Hagstrom whenever I get a new guitar. Either a standard Swede (goldtop, hellz yeah) or a Deluxe F. Or possibly a vintage, hard to say.

I do think I want one, though.

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Wulver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 01:51 AM   #9
nathanma93
White Whale

woot hagstrom swede for the win.

YAh it is my first and only guitar. I dont think i will be replacing anytime soon.

its fantastic

GEAR:
Mesa F-50
Hagstrom Swede
ZVEX Fuzz Factory
nathanma93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 10:13 AM   #10
twisty571

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanma93
woot hagstrom swede for the win.

YAh it is my first and only guitar. I dont think i will be replacing anytime soon.

its fantastic

post up a pic of her

I'm cool with my F200 but want a LP body to so I will grab a Swede next I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulver
I'm looking into getting a Hagstrom whenever I get a new guitar. Either a standard Swede (goldtop, hellz yeah) or a Deluxe F. Or possibly a vintage, hard to say.

I found it hard to decide, F200P(P90's) or F301 for the HSS set up or a Deluxe which is basically the same as my F200 or a Swede Sorry my pics aren't great but it looks really nice in person,the finish is a sick deep mahogany & their sparkle tops are suppose to be off the hook,good luck with your choice and let us know

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiefermatot
I use a Hagstrom at band practices when I'm too lazy to bring my own gear. It r00lz

Which model & how do you like it compared to your guitar?
Old 02-25-2008, 11:28 AM   #11
Duster

Good idea Twisty. There's not yet a lot of info out there about these great guitars, and searches on the net only bring up bits and pieces here and there. The Hagstrom Nation needs to represent.

As far as the design goes, you either like it or you don't. The company started making guitars in the 50s when they were just an accordion company, so they took popular designs from America and copied them while applying their own Swedish-accordion-maker fashion sense. It shows, and I think it's kind of cool. The designs are a little more curvy, lots of binding and inlay, some sparkle, and beautiful finishes. Jimmy D'Aquisto designed some guitars for them, and some of his quirky design elements are used across the different models, like the tuners and, if I'm not mistaken, the headstock.

As far as the quality of the instrument, it's hard not to like them. Good woods, nice features like the neck design and the belly-cutout on the back, sweet fretboard, and good tone.

The range of instruments offered is also nice. Big and small hollowbodies, semi-hollowbodies, solid bodies in Gibson and Fender scale-lengths. A range of different pickups. There's something there for everyone.

The company stopped making guitars in Sweden in the 80s, and started up again in China in 2005 or 2006. So they're new again, but have some tradition.

Well, that's enough from me. Sorry for the long post. Here's my Swede....

--- D
Duster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 11:48 AM   #12
Green_Jelly
Live from the tone lounge

Are they heavy, the regular Swedes? Like, compared to a Les Paul?
Green_Jelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 11:57 AM   #13
Duster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Jelly
Are they heavy, the regular Swedes? Like, compared to a Les Paul?

Yes, they're definitely heavy. I haven't seen a spec on the actual weight to compare it with a Les Paul. I have been told that the Hagstrom is heavier, but I couldn't tell much of a difference when I held them both. If anything, I would say the Hagstrom is better balanced and it's definitely more comfortable to hold.

Regardless, it certainly isn't a light guitar. It is solid mahogany, and it feels like it.

--- D
Duster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 01:01 PM   #14
twisty571

Again Dusty nice Swede! The Deluxe I was gonna buy was gold top,I think I want the silver or blue sparkle top honestly but would have to go with the Deluxe for that. Also I notice MF is stating a limited supply on the Hags now??? I know back before Hag closed they use to put out some limited #'s on all thier guitar models & wondering if they are doing that again? The F301 is now limited and I want 1 but wasn't ready to buy yet,was thinking Kramer 424 or Strat instead.

Last edited by twisty571 : 02-25-2008 at 01:04 PM.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:34 PM   #15
Wulver
Nothing is Real

Oh man, goldtop.....that's beautiful, man....

About to go Hagstrom searching on eBay, I'll pass along anything of interest.

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Wulver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 11:16 AM   #16
GOLDIE93

I cant get my pictures to post properly but the pic of this one is in my profile.
1971 Swede
It was the first guitar I bought. picked it up used for $350 in 1987 and it has been put thru hell but still plays great. The headstock got rammed into a Steel post in the basement along time ago so I removed the busted up tip of it and sanded it down a bit to reshape it like a Les Paul. I have about 12 guitars but this one always manages to find its way into my hands.
When the new ones came out I played mine for about 2 hours and then went to the store to try the new ones. To my surprise it was bang on exactly the same in sound and feel(Except the neck and frets didnot have the 36 years of sweat soaked into the finger board ) The only thing that made me cry was when I turned it over and saw the made in China sticker ( quality control issues????) Even with that I would buy a new one when mine finally dies. I also tried the F200p which has a nice tone too it I am just not a fan of the tremolo on them ( my own personal feelings don't let it stop you) if it came with the bridge like the Swede I would buy it in a second.
Hagstroms rock keep this thread alive.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:22 AM   #17
twisty571

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDIE93
I cant get my pictures to post properly but the pic of this one is in my profile.
1971 Swede
It was the first guitar I bought. picked it up used for $350 in 1987 and it has been put thru hell but still plays great. The headstock got rammed into a Steel post in the basement along time ago so I removed the busted up tip of it and sanded it down a bit to reshape it like a Les Paul. I have about 12 guitars but this one always manages to find its way into my hands.
When the new ones came out I played mine for about 2 hours and then went to the store to try the new ones. To my surprise it was bang on exactly the same in sound and feel(Except the neck and frets didnot have the 36 years of sweat soaked into the finger board ) The only thing that made me cry was when I turned it over and saw the made in China sticker ( quality control issues????) Even with that I would buy a new one when mine finally dies. I also tried the F200p which has a nice tone too it I am just not a fan of the tremolo on them ( my own personal feelings don't let it stop you) if it came with the bridge like the Swede I would buy it in a second.
Hagstroms rock keep this thread alive.

Very cool Hag,I like it and want it,it's a 71' vintage I'm a 71' vintage to So tell me,compared to your 93' Gibby LP how does it compare?

Last edited by twisty571 : 02-26-2008 at 11:27 AM.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:45 PM   #18
GOLDIE93

Well you can't have it. lol
I am also a 71 vintage its kind of funny cause I did not plan this and didnot know until after I had owned both but The hagstrom is a 1971 and the Ampeg that I play it thru is a 1971 and I was born in 1971.
The sound cannot really be compared as the Gibby has the open hot ceramic humbuckers and the Swede has the 59s i believe. If I use the tone switch on the Hag in the middle position and turn the neck tone down a bit I can get pretty much the same tone as the gibby but you can tell the diff. not that one is better than the other just different.
Weight wise the Hagstrom is heavier but a little more comfortable to play because of the balancing. My Gibby has the slim 60s neck which is fairly close to the Swede neck. like I said when this one becomes too screwed up to play any more I will be running right out to buy one of the new ones.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:47 PM   #19
Green_Jelly
Live from the tone lounge

Is that F-200 well balanced?
Green_Jelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 01:03 PM   #20
twisty571

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Jelly
Is that F-200 well balanced?

yes I think it is,like I said I don't have a ton of experience with all kinds of guitars but it's more comfortable than my Squier Strat & the neck doesn't go straight to floor when I stand up,I usually sit though

Rate This Thread: