Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-26-2008, 02:33 PM   #21
hminh87
Justin here!

I'm getting a Super Swede Vintage Sunburn next month. Hope this thread can survive 'till then ;p
hminh87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 03:07 PM   #22
Duster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hminh87
I'm getting a Super Swede Vintage Sunburn next month. Hope this thread can survive 'till then ;p

That's awesome. Unfortunately here in Canada we can only get sunburns starting around June. Jokes!!

--- D
Duster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 03:35 PM   #23
GOLDIE93

Hey DUSTER
I was just looking at the pics of your Gold top and I noticed that it is left handed but the neck is not, so you have a reverse headstock going on ..... very cool.
I guess that with the way the neck is made and shaped that they fit both directions just the same so ther was no point making a different one for lefties. usually the point at the tip aims down but yours goes up.
Now I can't decide which way it looks better.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:59 PM   #24
Duster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDIE93
Hey DUSTER
I was just looking at the pics of your Gold top and I noticed that it is left handed but the neck is not, so you have a reverse headstock going on ..... very cool.
I guess that with the way the neck is made and shaped that they fit both directions just the same so ther was no point making a different one for lefties. usually the point at the tip aims down but yours goes up.
Now I can't decide which way it looks better.

Yeah, I was hoping that the tip would aim downward, as it is on the righties. I have seen pics of vintage Hagstrom lefties that are made that way (and some vintage Hagstroms that are made "my" way). My guess is that at some point they started making righties and lefties with the same neck and headstock to save some money on tooling. There are pics on the internet showing the guitars both ways, but it could be just because some of the photos are flipped in photoshop. When I saw it in the shop I saw that the headstock is the same as the right-handed models, and it seemed weird at first, but now I think I like it even better. Strange how the slightest cosmetic feature can seem so glaringly obvious when you spend too much time looking at a guitar... yet when you actually play the guitar you realize it doesn't matter at all.

--- D
Old 02-26-2008, 04:47 PM   #25
twisty571

I didn't even realize that Duster about your headstock. Very cool hminh87 !
twisty571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 07:11 PM   #26
Steve BP
Sonic Abuser

I'm considering buying a mahogany guitar with a maple cap + humbuckers, and the Super Swede has caught my imagination: a Les Paulish guitar, but it has a strat scale length.

Anyone use one of these? Comments?
Steve BP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 09:08 PM   #27
Wulver
Nothing is Real

Found some stuff on eBay.

-1960s SG-Strat style 12-string
http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-1960s-HAGS...1QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/Rare-1960s-HAGS...1QQcmdZViewItem

-1972 (Quilt?) Maple Viking w/ single coils
http://cgi.ebay.com/1972-HAGSTROM-H...1QQcmdZViewItem

- 8-String bass, same type used by Hendrix and Noel Redding of the Jimi Hendrix Experience
http://cgi.ebay.com/Hagstrom-Electr...1QQcmdZViewItem

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Wulver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 09:09 PM   #28
n_tracyKC

ive got a cherryburst super swede, its awesome. its my main guitar.
ill post pics later.
n_tracyKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 10:48 AM   #29
GOLDIE93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve BP
I'm considering buying a mahogany guitar with a maple cap + humbuckers, and the Super Swede has caught my imagination: a Les Paulish guitar, but it has a strat scale length.

Anyone use one of these? Comments?

The Super Swede and the Swede are basically the same except that where the Swede has a Tone selector switch at the top. The Super Swede has a Coil spilt switch down by the volume controls. The neck and body are the same except I believe the Supers have better looking tops.
The necks are amazingly fast and smooth.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:35 AM   #30
Duster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDIE93
The Super Swede and the Swede are basically the same except that where the Swede has a Tone selector switch at the top. The Super Swede has a Coil spilt switch down by the volume controls. The neck and body are the same except I believe the Supers have better looking tops.
The necks are amazingly fast and smooth.

The scale length of the two guitars is different. The Swede is Gibson-scale while the Super Swede is Fender-scale. Also, the Super has a maple top if I'm not mistaken, whereas the Swede is all mahogany. But maybe some Swedes come with a maple top? You're right about the controls. The Swede has a "tone filter" which I really can't find a use for, and the Super has a "coil tap" which should be more useful.

--- D
Old 02-27-2008, 01:45 PM   #31
twisty571

Last edited by twisty571 : 02-27-2008 at 03:41 PM.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:02 PM   #32
GOLDIE93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster
The scale length of the two guitars is different. The Swede is Gibson-scale while the Super Swede is Fender-scale. Also, the Super has a maple top if I'm not mistaken, whereas the Swede is all mahogany. But maybe some Swedes come with a maple top? You're right about the controls. The Swede has a "tone filter" which I really can't find a use for, and the Super has a "coil tap" which should be more useful.

--- D

There you go. Thats what I like about this thread. Alot of people know a little bit about Hagstroms so by the time this is done we should have a complete reference guide for them.
I did not realize that the Swedes and Supers had different scales. I will have to do a closer inspection of my top to see whether it is Mahogany or Maple never really gave it much thought before.
I use my tone switch all the time now but when I first got it I left it in the up position and used the amp settings to get my tone as I only played heavy rock at the time it worked out great but when I got another guitar I found that I always had to readjust my amp settings between the 2 so i started messing around with it. In the up position it takes out the treble to give you a really dark Black Sabbath kind of tone. the middle is normal and the down position takes out the bass which gives you a really nice brite clean tone. I don't now how well they work on the new ones though.

Keep the info coming people.....
Old 02-27-2008, 03:37 PM   #33
twisty571

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulver
Found some stuff on eBay.

- 8-String bass, same type used by Hendrix and Noel Redding of the Jimi Hendrix Experience
http://cgi.ebay.com/Hagstrom-Electr...1QQcmdZViewItem

Hagstrom is suppose to be well known in the bass guitar world but I don't play bass,I also hear that a couple pick-ups they made are holy grails of the bass world from a couple bass players.They also may have been the company to create the first electric bass.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:35 PM   #34
Duster

Quote:
Originally Posted by twisty571
Hagstrom is suppose to be well known in the bass guitar world but I don't play bass,I also hear that a couple pick-ups they made are holy grails of the bass world from a couple bass players.They also may have been the company to create the first electric bass.

There's a bass pickup that they made in the vintage days that someone else copied when they went out of business, and continued making. Apparently it's well-known and very desirable in the bass world. I can't remember what it's called.

I don't know if they invented the electric bass, but I'm pretty sure they were the first to make an 8-string bass, with each string having an octave course, like on a 12-string guitar. That is the bass that I think they're famous for, and last I checked on their website, they've reissued that as well. I have never had the desire to play bass, but that looks pretty cool and I bet could make some interesting sounds....

--- D
Old 02-27-2008, 04:40 PM   #35
henry b

Their acoustics are very good also, I own a J45 from the 1970s.
henry b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 05:25 PM   #36
Duster

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry b
Their acoustics are very good also, I own a J45 from the 1970s.

They haven't reissued their acoustics yet... I think that's a much trickier proposition, but if they do well with all these electrics, I can imagine they're not far behind. Their vintage ones have a good reputation. Really dark, dramatic sunburst finishes too, from the pics I've seen.

--- D
Old 02-28-2008, 01:20 PM   #37
twisty571

Alright where are the pics guys,a couple of us have them up,let's see them bad boys
Old 02-28-2008, 01:28 PM   #38
austinarcadium

i was really thinking of getting a Hagstrom F-Series one time, but they dont have any places in Lincoln that have them and i wasnt going to risk buying a guitar i never played or heard. But they do look sweet.
austinarcadium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 01:33 PM   #39
twisty571

I had to buy site unseen,we have two shops here,nothing huge. 1 stocks Fenders & BC Rich. & the other Ibanez & some cheapies. I'm not in the least bit dissatisfied with my purchase,especially for the price.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:38 PM   #40
austinarcadium

We have a Guitar Center (which doesnt stock them) and then Dietze music, which is pretty much the same as Guitar Center. The Hagstrom site said that there was a dealership about an hour away that had Hagstrom's but i emailed them and they never got back to me. From their pictures, the place was really tiny and didnt look too professional.
austinarcadium is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: