Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-13-2008, 02:54 PM   #61
Sledfang
You're Adopted

I've been Hagstrom hunting for a while now, and I finally found a store close by that sells them. I played several, but my favorite (as far as feel and tone) was the XL-5, which I currently have ordered and should be to me by tomorrow. I'll try to get some pics soon. The thing with this guitar is the incredible versatility. The coil tap adds some pretty limitless possibilities. Some of the other models (I know that the XL-2 and Ultra Swede at least have it) have the tap as well, but the XL-5 is the most versatile because it has 2 humbuckers as well is the single-coil, so I can get a great humbucker sound (the Hagstrom custom humbuckers really do sound fantastic coming out of my Peavey Studio amp) as well as a Fender-like blues tone. Just on one clean setting I was able to produce an enormous variety of tones.

One thing I'll add about these Ultraluxes is that you should play one before you buy it definitely. The thin neck is not for everyone.
Sledfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 09:46 PM   #62
Rocker_94
Eh?

I'm interested in possibly buying an Ultra Swede. Either that or wait and get an Epiphone Les Paul...Standard Plus, Custom, Prophecy, maybe Elitest or Gibson Studio.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:18 PM   #63
efria

The local store just got one it (I can not remember which one - kind of a Les Paul shape). It's a cool guitar, but damn heavy!

Maybe the next guitar to add to the collection????
Fender strat - American Standard
Gretsch 5120
Fender Acoustic
Fender Twin Re-verb
Misc pedals
efria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 10:54 PM   #64
twisty571

Quote:
Originally Posted by efria
The local store just got one it (I can not remember which one - kind of a Les Paul shape). It's a cool guitar, but damn heavy!

Maybe the next guitar to add to the collection????

Probably a Swede of some sorts. You guys are lucky. No where here by me carries them so I had to order 1 to try it out. I liked it thank god
Old 05-15-2008, 12:19 AM   #65
Sledfang
You're Adopted

Alright I got my XL-5 in today, so you guys get some pictures. This things looks very nice plays even nicer. If anyone wants to see a particular angle or close up or anything, let me know. I'll try to get some videos if you want, just so you can see maybe what these full contact tremolos sound like (I really like the it). I have had no tuning stability problems with it thus far, and I've wailed on it pretty hard, doing dives and whammy harmonics and whatnot.

This is a profile shot of it leaning on my Peavey Studio amp. As you can see, it has a flat black (really more of a charcoal I guess) finish. This finish is also along the neck, and is very slick and easy to play with. There are 24 frets and since it's a thru-neck design it's very easy to reach all the frets.

My bass player is offering you all a humble C chord. The headstock on here is very nice looking indeed, probably my favorite cosmetic feature. The pearl trim is just sexy. The tuners work great and add to the unique look.

Here's a comparison between the XL-5 neck and my Epiphone SG Standard. The neck is super thin compared to basically every other neck I've played on, but I really like it.

One final shot, this time a comparison between the XL-5 and my friend's Fender Mexican Strat. Yet again, the XL-5 has a much thinner neck.

If any of you want to see any more shots, let me know what you want and I'll try to get it for you.
Old 05-15-2008, 12:56 AM   #66
Sir Anonymous
Pure entropy

That XL-5 looks pretty good.

How thin are the Hag' necks compared to, say, an average Ibanez neck? And do the semi-hollows have the same thin necks?

I've been eyeballing something with a thin neck, and a few semi-hollows recently and wouldn't mind saving a bit of money by only needing one guitar.
Sir Anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 01:13 AM   #67
Sledfang
You're Adopted

The Ultralux Models are the ones with the ultra-thin necks. That includes the XL-5, the XL-2 (which is identical to the XL-5 but without the single-coil pup) and the Ultra Swede, which is simply a Swede with the thin neck. This neck is definitely thinner than the Ibanez necks I have played on, but probably not drastically so. As long as your hands aren't huge, it's very comfortable to play. They use a truss rod designed like an I-beam instead of a cylindrical rod, so they can make the neck thinner without decreasing stability. All of their guitars that I know of feature this truss rod, and they all have thin necks comparable to most other makes, but the other models aren't designed around the ultra thin neck of the Ultralux models.

The list on these is I think $660, but most sites have it for $399. The shop I played my first one in wanted $600 (before haggling) and I got mine for $290 plus $30 shipping off of Ebay brand new. It's supposed to be a factory blem, and he had a picture of the tiny blemish in the auction, but I swear I can't find it (it was on the bottom anyway). Whatever, it looks and sounds great, I'm a happy camper. Incredibly versatile instrument, and despite what some have said, I really like the full-contact tremolo, and it keeps tuning stability very well.

TL;DR: I highly recommend it.

Hagstrom Ultralux XL-5
Epiphone SG Standard
Oscar Schmidt OG10CE Acoustic-Electric

60W Peavey Studio Pro 112

Boss TU-2 > Homebrew Electronics UFO > Dunlop Crybaby > Catalinbread Hyperpak > Digitech Bad Monkey > Behringer DD400
Old 05-15-2008, 02:40 AM   #68
Baishen

I have a black Hagstrøm Swede. Overall a nice guitar. I get do get quite a bit of fretbuzz though, which can be somewhat annoying. That said, it looks and plays fantastic. Tried playing a Gibson Lesp Paul Studio, did not get anywhere near the Swede in pure playing comfort. The thin neck is awesome.
The pickups are also surprisingly good. It is really a deep sounding guitar, great for rock. The tone switch thingy is kind of meh though, but *can* be used to make some somewhat trippy tones.
It did come to me with a very poor setup, had to take it to a shop to bring the buzz down to a decent level.
Baishen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 05:52 AM   #69
hminh87
Justin here!

Sledfang: Please please do a close up angle showing the pickup height to the string from the side. I've heard people complaining about the middle single coil pickup is making it difficult to do pinch harmonics.
hminh87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 08:09 AM   #70
Sledfang
You're Adopted

Sure thing guy, I'll get one up tonight. However, I'll let you know that I have no trouble with pinch harmonics, personally.

Hagstrom Ultralux XL-5
Epiphone SG Standard

Boss TU-2 > Homebrew Electronics UFO > Dunlop Crybaby > Catalinbread Hyperpak > Digitech Bad Monkey > Behringer DD400
Old 05-15-2008, 08:37 AM   #71
Duster

Are you sure the necks on the Ultra models are thinner than the rest? My understanding was that all Hagstroms have the same neck and neck profile, including the Ultras and the hollow bodies. This is the first I've heard that the Ultras have a thinner neck.

I could be wrong, so let us know where you got that info. In any case, all the Hagstroms have a thin, fast neck. I would just be surprised if the Ultra was even thinner than the Hagstrom standard....

--- D
Duster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 10:06 AM   #72
hunter33

I have an XL-5 Ultralux also, but mine is in "cosmic black" glossy finish which lets the maple grain on the top show through. I paid $300 for it new on Ebay but got lucky to get it at that price, they usually go a bit higher. The fit and finish is great, the polyester finish is very durable, and I love the Imperial tuning keys. Mine will go out of tune if the whammy is used much, but I don't use the whammy much for the stuff I play. The proprietary Full Contact trem bridge does look & feel very solid and the bar works smoothly. All the metal parts on this guitar are thick and heavy and feel high quality. Yeah, I agree on the neck too ... it is so thin that some people might have a hard time getting used to it. For someone who has big hands it might feel strange to have to push your thumb so far into the back of the neck.

These XL-5 are really set up for shredding & metal, but with the coil splitter and combination of 'buckers and single coil they are very versatile. Before ordering I was skeptical about the basswood body and maple top, but now I love the tone it puts out and the polyester finish is so tough you don't have to worry about the body being dented. I was also skeptical of the resinator fretboard, but no worries now that I've had it for a few months. It looks exactly like ebony (albeit with less grain variation) but is more durable. The pickups are not real hot but they have great tone and are "quiet" and don't hiss and stuff. With a 5 way switch, 2 humbuckers & a single coil, plus a coil splitter for the humbuckers you have a heck of a lot of tonal options there. I love the tone of the neck humbucker and middle single coil together on my amp for rhythm.

These Hags are rare cases of where you get more than what you pay for. They are very well made, sound great, and are cheap. I've noticed the used & Ebay prices on them are starting to creep up lately.
hunter33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 10:25 AM   #73
Sledfang
You're Adopted

I also played an F-200 and the neck on that, while thin and fast, was not as thin as the XL-5. But now I'm second guessing myself... I could be wrong.

I remember though, when I was playing the F-200 it didn't seem drastically thin. It felt VERY nice and fast though, and I would also recommend that guitar or any of the F-series. But the guy in the store brought me the XL-5 and specifically told me to try it just for the neck, and he said it was the thinnest neck he had ever played. Take note that this is a store owner who also sells Ibanez, Schecter, and Jackson guitars, if that tells you anything. When I first played it, I was amazed at how thin it was, and I don't remember feeling that with the F-200.

Also this quote from the Hagstrom page hints at the Ultraluxes having thinner necks: "Featuring the new UltraLux, ultra-thin, ultraluxurious neck!"
And, here's a Youtube link where the head designer at Hagstrom talks about the Ultralux series at a trade show, where I also think it states that the Ultraluxes have thinner necks than other models.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lDV...feature=related

All that said, I honestly don't see why Hagstrom would want ALL their necks to be that crazily thin. It seems like it would limit their market, because a neck that thin isn't necessarily great for everything.

Hagstrom Ultralux XL-5
Epiphone SG Standard

Old 05-15-2008, 10:26 AM   #74
Brendan.Clace
UG's Metalcore Producer

I loves me my Swedes....

My Select broke in mid spin though....she flew off my body and hit the ground...SO I went and bought a new Standard and she sounds great now with the new EMG ZW set in her.... Will post pics tonight....
Brendan.Clace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 07:16 PM   #75
sammyjay
I'm using the Internet!

I'm looking into getting a Hagstrom F-301 myself. What's the good word on this guitar?
sammyjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 09:02 PM   #76
thewho65
Back?

Location: Moderate becoming light, easterly westerly, good then fair, occasionally poor.
I'm looking at a Deluxe or possibly that Viking with single-coils. Actually, I'd like to get something vintage like a Kent.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:16 PM   #77
Sledfang
You're Adopted

Quote:
Originally Posted by hminh87
Sledfang: Please please do a close up angle showing the pickup height to the string from the side. I've heard people complaining about the middle single coil pickup is making it difficult to do pinch harmonics.

OK, I have several more pictures, so I guess I'll start with the request. Any other requests, feel free, but I think these will give you a nice idea of what the guitar looks like, haha. And once again, I have had no trouble doing pinch harmonics. One thing I've also been told before is that guitars with 24 frets are harder to find the right spots for natural harmonics, but I've found it to be actually a bit easier than on my SG. Food for thought. And as much punishment I've been giving the whammy, the guitar has held its tuning remarkably well, I haven't even had problems with the infamous G-string. Without further ado:

So, I think that's a pretty good coverage of what a Hagstrom XL-5 in Satin Black looks like. Hope you guys are happy with these pictures!

Hagstrom Ultralux XL-5
Epiphone SG Standard

Old 05-15-2008, 10:28 PM   #78
Sledfang
You're Adopted

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyjay
I'm looking into getting a Hagstrom F-301 myself. What's the good word on this guitar?

I did happen to play that guitar. I can tell you personally that I was pretty impressed. It's good looking and plays very smoothly (Hagstrom necks are pretty good, whether or not they are Ultraluxes). The tone that it gets out of the stock pickups (which are custom Hagstrom pups) sound very nice. I played the F-301 and the F-200, and the 301 is very similar to an HSS Strat as far as the sound. You get a bluesy, twangy tone with a bridge bucker when you really want it to kick, like the Strats. One negative thing I've heard is that the trems in the F series are bad about knocking the guitar out of tune.

As always, you should play one before you buy it, but I think you'll like it, if you like Strats.

Hagstrom Ultralux XL-5
Epiphone SG Standard

Last edited by Sledfang : 05-16-2008 at 09:02 AM.
Old 05-16-2008, 05:10 AM   #79
hminh87
Justin here!

lol.. you sure you not working for Hagstrom? This is too detailed
Anyway, how is the back the the neck? I see it also has full satin finish there.
hminh87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 09:24 AM   #80
Sledfang
You're Adopted

I thought about that after I posted it. I was like, "Damn, I sound way too happy to answer questions."

I really have happened to play several Hags lately though. I'm really just wanting to help get information out there, because I had a lot of trouble finding info when I was looking into the brand.

EDIT: The neck really smooth and comfy to play on with the satin finish.

Hagstrom Ultralux XL-5
Epiphone SG Standard

Rate This Thread: