Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Pop Punk & Emo
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-25-2008, 04:58 PM   #1
lolmnt
Earth of the Butt

Emo Thread

It's time for a new place for all us emo fans to discuss all of our favorite bands. This is made with the_astronaut's approval.

Any flaming or emo bashing will be reported!!!!!!!!!, so play nice!

In spring 1984, a new band called Rites Of Spring forms from members of The Untouchables/Faith and Deadline. This band retains a punk speed and frenzy, but brings a totally new vocal approach to the mix. Singer Guy Picciotto keeps an out-of-breath punk style most of the time, at times delving into intensely personal lyrics dripping with emotion and sweat. His voice breaks down at climactic moments into a throaty, gravelly, passionate moan.

The summer of 1985 becomes known as "Revolution Summer" when a new wave of rock-tempo, melody based, sung-vocal bands forms out of the DC punk musician pool with diverse rock sounds - Three, Gray Matter, Soulside, Ignition, Marginal Man, Fire Party, Rain, Shudder to Think, etc. Few bands retain the fast hardcore punk-based sound with the new vocal approach, Dag Nasty being the notable exception.
Minor Threat's singer, Ian MacKaye's, sings for a band called Embrace (compare the band name to earlier DC bands Minor Threat, Void, and State Of Alert) whose lyrics are emotional and deeply self-questioning, but still clear and unambiguous. Musically, the group (formed mostly of ex-Faith members) writes midtempo, somewhat jangly music with a lot of pop guitar hooks. MacKaye's vocals retain his trademark bold enunciation, with only occasional sparks of emotive delivery.

These bands' sound eventually becomes known as the classic "D.C. sound." Some of it is derisively labeled "emo," as shorthand for "emotional." One account has this term first appearing in a Flipside interview with Ian MacKaye. Shortly thereafter DC bands aquire the tag "emo-core."

Slightly later (1986), some bands begin to focus on the "emo" element itself. The Hated in Annapolis (near D.C.) seem to be the first post-Rites of Spring to do this. Shortly thereafter, Moss Icon appears in in the same town. Moss Icon strips the "emo" element down to the core, and adds a great deal of intricate, arpeggiated guitar melody (by Tonie Joy, later of Born Against, Lava, Universal Order of Armageddon, etc.) with a strong focus on loud/soft dynamics. The vocals, too, break new ground by building up to actual top-of-the-lungs screaming at songs' climaxes.

Moss Icon, as a relatively well-known band that toured some, introduces the punk scene to music that has core emphasis on emotion instead of punk energy. As such, I consider them the starting point for the emo movement, not Rites of Spring as is more commonly asserted. Later emo bands draw heavily from the Moss Icon dynamics, guitar style, and vocal delivery.

Starting in the mid-1990s, the term emo began to refer to the indie scene that followed the influences of Fugazi, which itself was an offshoot of the first wave of emo. Bands including Sunny Day Real Estate and Texas is the Reason had a more indie rock style of emo, more melodic and less chaotic. The so-called "indie emo" scene survived until the late 1990s, as many of the bands either disbanded or shifted to mainstream styles. As the remaining indie emo bands entered the mainstream, newer bands began to emulate the mainstream style. As a result, the term "emo" became a vaguely defined identifier rather than a specific genre of music.
At the end of the 1990s, the underground emo scene had almost entirely disappeared. However, the term emo was still being bandied about in mainstream media, almost always attached to the few remaining 90s emo acts, including Jimmy Eat World.

Towards the end of the 1990s, Jimmy Eat World had begun to shift in a more mainstream direction. Where Jimmy Eat World had played emocore-style music early in their career, by the time of the release of their 2001 album Bleed American, the band had downplayed its emo influences, releasing more pop-oriented singles such as "The Middle" and "Sweetness". As the public had become aware of the word emo and knew that Jimmy Eat World was associated with it, the band continued to be referred to as an "emo" band, despite their objections. Newer bands that sounded like Jimmy Eat World (and, in some cases, like the more melodic emo bands of the late 90s) were soon included in the genre.

2003 saw the success of Chris Carrabba, the former singer of emo band Further Seems Forever, and his project Dashboard Confessional. Despite musically being more aligned to the singer songwriter school, Carraba found himself part of the emerging "popular" emo scene. Carrabba's music featured lyrics founded in deep diary-like outpourings of emotion. While certainly emotional, the new "emo" had a far greater appeal amongst adolescents than its earlier incarnations.

With Dashboard Confessional and Jimmy Eat World's success, major labels began seeking out similar sounding bands. Just as many bands of the early-to-mid 1990s were unwillingly lumped under the umbrella of "grunge", some record labels wanted to be able to market a new sound under the word emo.

At the same time, use of the term "emo" expanded beyond the musical genre, which added to the confusion surrounding the term. The word "emo" became associated with open displays of strong emotion. Common fashion styles and attitudes that were becoming idiomatic of fans of similar "emo" bands also began to be referred to as "emo". As a result, bands that were loosely associated with "emo" trends or simply demonstrated emotion began to be referred to as emo.

In an even more expanded way than in the 90s, emo has come to encompass an extremely wide variety of bands, many of whom have very little in common. The term has become so broad that it has become nearly impossible to describe what exactly qualifies as "emo".

List of emo bands(this will be added to)
1.6 Band
American Football
Anasarca
Angel Hair
Beefeater
Bells On Trike
Birthmark
Boy's Life
Braid
Cap'n Jazz
Car vs Driver
Christie Front Drive
Chune
Clikatat Ikatowi
Coasts
Cursive
Dag Nasty
Decembers Architects
Drive Like Jehu
Elliott
Embrace
Ethel Meserve
Evergreen
everyoned
Fire Party
Floodgate
Friend/Enemy
Fuel
The Get Up Kids
Ghosts and Vodka
Giant's Chair
The Gloria Record
Gray Matter
The Good Life
Heroin
I Hate Myself
Indian Summer
Jasemine
Jawbreaker
Jejune
Joan of Arc
Julia
Knapsack
Love of Everything
Make Believe
Maritime
Maximillian Colby
M.I.J.
Mineral
Monument
Moss Icon
Nation of Ulysses
Native Nod
Noyes
One Last Wish
the One Up Downstairs
Ordination Of Aaron
Owen
Owls
Owltian Mia
Penfold
The Pine
Policy Of Three
Pop Unknown
The Promise Ring
Rain
Rainer Maria
The Republic Of Freedom Fighters
Rites of Sping
Samiam
Sam Zurick
September
Sheryl's Magnetic Aura
Shotmaker
Sky Corvair
Sleepytime Trio
Small Brown Bike
Still Life
Street Smart Cyclist
Soulside
The Summer We Went West
Sunny Day Real Estate
Texas is the Reason
Vermont
Vitreous Humor

There's a good list and other stuff here

Bands that ARE NOT EMO
Fall Out Boy
My Chemical Romance
The Used
Senses Fail
From First to Last
Panic! At the Disco
Simple Plan
AFI
Aiden

What I used to make this:
http://www.fourfa.com/index.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emo

So, discuss dis stuff

DO NOT ASK FOR ANYTHING TO BE UPLOADED FOR YOU, IT WILL NOT HAPPEN AND COULD RESULT IN THE CLOSING OF THIS THREAD!!!
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown

Last edited by element4433 : 07-10-2008 at 12:50 PM.
lolmnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 05:04 PM   #2
Guitarist132
sam

Im emo as phuck...no lie...i dont look it tbh, tight jeans and tight t-shirt..yaeh but not ridiculously tight...ramblerambleramble

Mineral is fukcing amazing

Yeah you were right about me
Guitarist132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 05:04 PM   #3
samerika
Listen to Bright Eyes!

Dont flame me for asking, but what is every time i die and bright eyes?
Old 02-25-2008, 05:05 PM   #4
Guitarist132
sam

Not emo, thats for sure

Old 02-25-2008, 05:05 PM   #5
samerika
Listen to Bright Eyes!

Bright eyes has some pretty emo lyrics
Old 02-25-2008, 05:06 PM   #6
Love_Buzz
An Elusive Joi

So is the "Emo Thread" in the Punk Forum closed now?
Old 02-25-2008, 05:09 PM   #7
Base Ics

What I know of emo (or think that emo is), is that it's (in general) based on living towards your feelings and not having to be called a pussy for living up to them. Real emos I think, aren't the cutters everybody thinks they are, but accept and live up to ALL their feelings. This does include the negative ones, and this is where the problem with emo starts. Acting all negative is an efficient way of acquiring (lots of) attention from the ppl around you, something that MANY ppl (especially teenage girls) plain need. So they say they're emo and express all their negative feelings, every time topping each other just to get more attention. They'll do plain stupid things to a level where their life is in danger (yes, cutting your wrists can kill you). This isn't at all emo (I've never heard of any 'emo rule' that requires automutilation), nor good ofc. Just because 'being emo' would fit their image, they say they are emo, and act all pathetic for that attention. My conclusion: there's nothing wrong with emo, but all those people who 'think' they're emo seriously need help.
Base Ics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 05:10 PM   #8
Guitarist132
sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Base Ics
What I know of emo (or think that emo is), is that it's (in general) based on living towards your feelings and not having to be called a pussy for living up to them. Real emos I think, aren't the cutters everybody thinks they are, but accept and live up to ALL their feelings. This does include the negative ones, and this is where the problem with emo starts. Acting all negative is an efficient way of acquiring (lots of) attention from the ppl around you, something that MANY ppl (especially teenage girls) plain need. So they say they're emo and express all their negative feelings, every time topping each other just to get more attention. They'll do plain stupid things to a level where their life is in danger (yes, cutting your wrists can kill you). This isn't at all emo (I've never heard of any 'emo rule' that requires automutilation), nor good ofc. Just because 'being emo' would fit their image, they say they are emo, and act all pathetic for that attention. My conclusion: there's nothing wrong with emo, but all those people who 'think' they're emo seriously need help.

Welcome to the forum

Old 02-25-2008, 05:11 PM   #9
doctorums
Anti-Shredder

Quote:

emo is not a life style its a dead musical style that spanned the mid 80s to the late 90s
MXR Dynacomp
deviever Shoe Gazer
Way Huge Red Llama Clone
Effector13 Soda Meiser
Vintage Proco Rat
DOD Buzzbox
Dwarfcraft Robot Devil
EA Tremolo
Lovepedal Pickle Vibe
Traynor YBA-2B
doctorums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 05:12 PM   #10
lolmnt
Earth of the Butt

Quote:
Originally Posted by samerika
Bright eyes has some pretty emo lyrics
There's no such thing as "emo" lyrics. The stereotype of "Cutting Wrists and blacking eyes" is a complete misunderstanding. Blues, metal, punk, indie, reggea, grundge, and country all have lyrics about pain, suffering, and emotions.

Bright Eyes is indie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love_Buzz
So is the "Emo Thread" in the Punk Forum closed now?
It depends on if Christina wants to leave it open

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Old 02-25-2008, 05:16 PM   #11
fenderfreak101
UG Spammer

Quote:
Dont flame me for asking, but what is every time i die and bright eyes?

Every Time I Die is poop. And metalcore.

Bright Eyes is a toughy. Conor has experimented with so many styles over the 822 albums he's made. He's gone really electronic-based, pure acoustic, folk, countryish, etc.

I just say he's acoustic, because acoustic instruments are used predominantly throughout his music.
Old 02-25-2008, 05:17 PM   #12
Love_Buzz
An Elusive Joi

Quote:
Originally Posted by element4433
There's no such thing as "emo" lyrics. The stereotype of "Cutting Wrists and blacking eyes" is a complete misunderstanding. Blues, metal, punk, indie, reggea, grundge, and country all have lyrics about pain, suffering, and emotions.

Bright Eyes is indie

It depends on if Christina wants to leave it open

I see.

Well I'm really getting into Emo through the likes of SDRE, Rites of Spring and Cap'n Jazz.
Old 02-25-2008, 05:18 PM   #13
fenderfreak101
UG Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorums
emo is not a life style its a dead musical style that spanned the mid 80s to the late 90s

yada yada yada.

Emo isn't dead. It's just changed drastically. That's how all music is. There's the hardcore, original type, and there's the newer, more commercial type. Emo is not dead. It's just different.
Old 02-25-2008, 05:18 PM   #14
samerika
Listen to Bright Eyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by element4433

Sorry, did i mention somewhere the word cutting or blacking??

I just asked if a band was "emo" or not.

Seeing that you already pointed out that all these genres have lyrics about suffering and pain, what is emo then?

OK, lets see, it has nothing to do with emotions, because music is an emotion and every song and so EVERY genre expresses some kind of emotion.

what is it then?
Old 02-25-2008, 05:18 PM   #15
lolmnt
Earth of the Butt

Those are great bands to start with

Old 02-25-2008, 05:18 PM   #16
the_astronaut
's name is Rylan.

Quote:

Quote:

Seeing that you already pointed out that all these genres have lyrics about suffering and pain, what is emo then?

OK, lets see, it has nothing to do with emotions, because music is an emotion and every song expresses some kind of emotion.

what is it then?

READ THE FIRST POST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETHANEVIL
How am I being or trying to be fabulous/glamorous?

the_astronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 05:20 PM   #17
lolmnt
Earth of the Butt

Quote:

OK, lets see, it has nothing to do with emotions, because music is an emotion and every song expresses some kind of emotion.

what is it then?
What did you mean by "emo" lyrics then?

Old 02-25-2008, 05:21 PM   #18
samerika
Listen to Bright Eyes!

Oh, i missed a very important sentence sorry =)

EDIT: What did i mean by "emo" lyrics
that they express very different emotions in every song, not only the "depressive type of emotions"

.......Nevermind i really dont know how to explain it.

Last edited by samerika : 02-25-2008 at 05:24 PM.
samerika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 05:22 PM   #19
fenderfreak101
UG Spammer

Quote:

what is it then?

Emo is a sound. It really is the most bull**** term for music, because it spans over so many different types and sounds. For instance, American Football and Indian Summer are both considered Emo, yet they sound nothing alike.

What I consider Emo are bands that sound similiar to SDRE, The Promise Ring, American Football, Braid, etc.

Or anything the Kinsellas have ever touched.
Old 02-25-2008, 05:25 PM   #20
Love_Buzz
An Elusive Joi

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenderfreak101
Emo is a sound. It really is the most bull**** term for music, because it spans over so many different types and sounds. For instance, American Football and Indian Summer are both considered Emo, yet they sound nothing alike.

What I consider Emo are bands that sound similiar to SDRE, The Promise Ring, American Football, Braid, etc.

Or anything the Kinsellas have ever touched.

Just like the "Indie" term basically.

Rate This Thread: