Quote:
Originally Posted by Vomit Rapist

/thread

LOL dude!
GuitarMunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 11:07 PM   #83
z4twenny
UG's resident Psychopath

Location: there ain't no doubt in my mind, i'm gonna stomp all over your test of time.
i choose to simply look at it like this :

NPS is obviously a stat, a measurement of of how many notes you can play
you can play 14 notes per second? congrats, now here's the REAL question
can you play the right 14 notes?
Cover of the NIN classic Head like a hole.
z4twenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 01:39 AM   #84
White_Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by z4twenny
i choose to simply look at it like this :

NPS is obviously a stat, a measurement of of how many notes you can play
you can play 14 notes per second? congrats, now here's the REAL question
can you play the right 14 notes?

Yes?
Orange 4x12 Cab

Member of UG's Official Gain \/\/hores - Invite Only
White_Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 10:17 AM   #85
z4twenny
UG's resident Psychopath

Location: there ain't no doubt in my mind, i'm gonna stomp all over your test of time.
^ lol, it was a rhetorical question
Cover of the NIN classic Head like a hole.
z4twenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 10:42 PM   #86
Warchest

Around 10+ notes i'd say, as long as it sounds musical not just some mindless shred like Franceso Farari.
Warchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 10:58 PM   #87
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warchest
mindless shred

As much as I dislike Fareri, there is no such thing as mindless shred; I expect he has to concentrate very hard on what he's playing, the term you're searching for is 'un-musical' or 'wank' not mindless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven seagull
Zaphod wins...flawless victory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freepower
Another flawless victory for Zaph!

Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 11:45 PM   #88
TheShred201
Back From The Dead

And how is what you called mindless shred not shred?
TheShred201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 11:56 PM   #89
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShred201
And how is what you called mindless shred not shred?

Who's this question to? No one said that mindless shred isn't shred, I just object to the idea that "mindless" shred exists, all shred takes though and effort but what most people call "mindless" is just something that has no musical value to them and should probably be called something like "wank" instead and even then should be qualified with "in my opinion".

Quote:

Quote:

Old 03-04-2008, 12:07 AM   #90
TheShred201
Back From The Dead

Zaphod, it wasn't to you, it was to warchest:

Thread Purpose--How fast is shred
His answer--10 Plus notes [per second] as long as it's not mindless shred like Francesco Fareri.

My point--how is anything involving it being shred not shred.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:09 AM   #91
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Zaphod, it wasn't to you, it was to warchest:

Thread Purpose--How fast is shred
His answer--10 Plus notes [per second] as long as it's not mindless shred like Francesco Fareri.

My point--how is anything involving it being shred not shred.

All right, fair enough

Quote:

Quote:

Old 03-04-2008, 12:12 AM   #92
GuitarMunky
I play guitar n stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Who's this question to? No one said that mindless shred isn't shred, I just object to the idea that "mindless" shred exists, all shred takes though and effort but what most people call "mindless" is just something that has no musical value to them and should probably be called something like "wank" instead and even then should be qualified with "in my opinion".

This comes pretty close IMO.

I hate to say, that while there certainly is creative, and musical shred..... the mindless sort does exist. Someone already pointed out to me that this guy can actually play music.... but this particular example is pretty close to mindlesss. I honestly wish guys like this didnt put out these kinds of videos. I think it sets a bad example. No reason a guy with chops like that, and is capable of playing actual music..... has to put out videos that do actually inspire the mindless wank sort of thing like this. IMO it gives shred a bad name.

Anyway it doesnt matter. There is mindless crap in all genres. The good stuff usually stands out the most.

Last edited by GuitarMunky : 03-04-2008 at 12:15 AM.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:15 AM   #93
TheShred201
Back From The Dead

Quote:
All right, fair enough

I agree with your point on mindlessness & similar terms though. Just like I feel that it is impossible to have music which actually doesn't instill some type of emotion. People through that term out a lot, but happiness and sadness aren't the only emotions. Anger, confusion, even boredom--all of these I would consider emotion. Then there's the fact that some people immediately dismiss fast music and don't even spend time to understand what emotion there truly is in the playing. Then other's just can't comprehend the emotion in fast music, or so it seems ...Then there are the people who complain about a lack of emotion in exercises or instructional videos

Nothing against you guitar monkey, but that's a picking exercise song from an instructional DVD. It's not a listen and enjoy song-it's the ending exercise of a dvd from chops from hell. That is designed to improve your alternate picking.

Last edited by TheShred201 : 03-04-2008 at 12:17 AM.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:16 AM   #94
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarMunky
This comes pretty close IMO.

I hate to say, that while there certainly is creative, and musical shred..... the mindless sort does exist. Someone already pointed out to me that this guy can actually play music.... but this particular example is pretty close to mindlesss. I honestly wish guys like this didnt put out these kinds of videos. I think it sets a bad example. No reason a guy with chops like that, and this is capable of playing music..... has to put out videos that do actually inspire the mindless wank sort of thing like this.

Anyway it doesnt matter. There is mindless crap in all genres. The good stuff usually stands out the most.

Isn't that from his Art of Picking video? If so it's probably just an exercise; I still maintain that there is no "mindless" shred, all the shred I've ever seen usually has the player concentrating on what they're doing quite a bit, whether it was good or not.

Quote:
I agree with your point on mindlessness & similar terms though. Just like I feel that it is impossible to have music which actually doesn't instill some type of emotion. People through that term out a lot, but happiness and sadness aren't the only emotions. Anger, confusion, even boredom--all of these I would consider emotion. Then there's the fact that some people immediately dismiss fast music and don't even spend time to understand what emotion there truly is in the playing. Then other's just can't comprehend the emotion in fast music, or so it seems ...Then there are the people who complain about a lack of emotion in exercises or instructional videos

I totally agree with that; that's why whenever I'm talking about music I always try to say "I didn't like it" rather than just "that is crap".

Quote:

Quote:

Old 03-04-2008, 12:17 AM   #95
TheShred201
Back From The Dead

Yes, that's from the art of picking (I edited that into my post, just not the title).
Old 03-04-2008, 12:19 AM   #96
GuitarMunky
I play guitar n stuff

Quote:

while I agree with most of your points, I have to say that there is music without emotion. I know alot of people say that about shred, and it probably offends you and puts you on the defensive, but there really are cases where emotional disconnect exists. Its more prevalent in shred because some of the players treat it more like a sport than an art. I wish they didnt, but some do. Anyway, no need to defend them. They are there, but so are other players that shred, AND play with emotion.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:21 AM   #97
GuitarMunky
I play guitar n stuff

Quote:
Isn't that from his Art of Picking video? If so it's probably just an exercise; I still maintain that there is no "mindless" shred, all the shred I've ever seen usually has the player concentrating on what they're doing quite a bit, whether it was good or not.

I totally agree with that; that's why whenever I'm talking about music I always try to say "I didn't like it" rather than just "that is crap".

That particular example shows muscle memory.... hes just taking the same pattern and moving around. IMO it truly is mindless. I understand its an exercise.

BTW when I say mindless..... I mean it loosely. Of-course their is some brain involvement. But I think in some cases, that involvement is minimal.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:21 AM   #98
TheShred201
Back From The Dead

I'm still saying--even if it makes you bored, that's an emotion. It may not be an emotion that you like, but it's an emotion nonetheless. And I'd extend my comment--I used shred instead of music, since this thread is about shred, but it's all the same for my point.

In fact, I would challenge anyone to try to find or create a piece of music which instills no emotion in me. And if I find no emotion, you can be sure that no one else is going to.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:26 AM   #99
GuitarMunky
I play guitar n stuff

Emotions are something that you express. A good artist channels them through the music. Not all players are good artists. Some players cant make an emotional connection and it certainly is possible to play something on the guitar that isnt driven by emotions. I personally dont care to listen to that sort of thing, but it does exist.

Quote:

In fact, I would challenge anyone to try to find or create a piece of music which instills no emotion in me. And if I find no emotion, you can be sure that no one else is going to.

that rusty cooley example

Last edited by GuitarMunky : 03-04-2008 at 12:28 AM.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:26 AM   #100
TheShred201
Back From The Dead

GuitarMunky, by your above post, playing chromatics is a poor way to start building alternate picking--it's the same pattern moved around. And actually, on that exercise, it's not all the same finger pattern. It all fits in a scale, but I can't remember what it is, but the grouping of hole steps and half steps changes between areas. Also, (I didn't watch the whole youtube vid to see all of it, as I've seen the whole section before), if it has the whole piece, it goes into several other different patterns than just the original pattern.

The rusty cooley example makes me feel:

Bored because it's relatively dull musically.
Slightly impressed by his technique.

Last edited by TheShred201 : 03-04-2008 at 12:30 AM.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread: