Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Hardcore
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-07-2014, 03:17 PM   #1
Leonid Vilkov

Apparently no one listens to this style of hardcore anymore?

My band mates recently told me they didn't wanna play my style of hardcore because they weren't into it. One of them told me no one listens to my style of hardcore anymore. She said it's not what the people want or expect in hardcore. They expect more clean vocals. Not just screaming or yelling all the time. Is this true?
Leonid Vilkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:19 PM   #2
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonid Vilkov
My band mates recently told me they didn't wanna play my style of hardcore because they weren't into it.

A perfect valid reason

Quote:
One of them told me no one listens to my style of hardcore anymore. She said it's not what the people want or expect in hardcore. They expect more clean vocals. Not just screaming or yelling all the time. Is this true?

Not really. But it doesn't matter.

The Site I Write For / My Soundcloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangMan311
Proving yet again that you consistently have the worst taste on this forum.
ChemicalFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:47 PM   #3
Leonid Vilkov

I guess. It just kinda hit me when she told me no one listens to that music anymore. Some sales guy at a cd store told me the same thing a few years ago too. Stuff like Hopesfall, Converge, Poison The Well, This Day Forward, etc.
Old 07-07-2014, 04:15 PM   #4
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd

There are still people who listen, enjoy, and pay homage to the music. It's not popular and not what the majority are interested in listening to, which is what you should expect with any underground music.

You're listening to an obscure pocket of music, best to accept it now.

Morphogenesis26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 04:36 PM   #5
Leonid Vilkov

Yeah. You see, I'm trying to start a hardcore band that plays that style of music. But whenever people answer my ads (and they clearly state the style and the bands I listen to) they think I'm trying to start a totally different style of hardcore band and don't bother to listen to the bands I listed. Then they listen and I explain it and they change their mind about the band. It frustrates me. I really wish I could find people who want to play the same style of music as I do.
Old 07-07-2014, 04:38 PM   #6
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

Compromise is a thing. If you want to start a band then you might wanna do that. If you really want to control a band that way then maybe start a solo project?

Also normally if you advertising you tend to put a FFO or something in there.

Quote:

Quote:

Last edited by ChemicalFire : 07-07-2014 at 04:44 PM.
Old 07-07-2014, 04:53 PM   #7
Leonid Vilkov

Ffo?
Old 07-07-2014, 05:15 PM   #8
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

For Fans Of.

Quote:

Quote:
Old 07-07-2014, 05:25 PM   #9
Nanobotter

just play pop, bitches love pop.
Nanobotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 05:32 PM   #10
link no1
Also cute and fluffy!!!

Either stick to your guns and don't change a thing or bend a little to find a good middle ground.

It's hard to find members for an obscure genre or something that "isn't popular anymore". You're lucky if you find a few dudes who want the exact same thing from a band as you do.

I started out wanting to be in a Thrash metal band since that's where my roots are and it's the genre I like the most. Thrash is still a pretty popular style, yet I found myself compromising with people until I've ended up in something more akin to Melodic Death Metal.
I'm happy with the band and I wouldn't change it at all but It wouldn't have been possible if I just said "no" to anything not Thrash and searched for maybe the 1 other person in my area who has a somewhat similar taste as I did. I don't even think I would have liked to limit myself to that one genre looking back at it.

As for your band mates not wanting to play something just because it's not popular, that's a valid reason, yet it makes them seem more like 'scene kids' following the trend rather than somebody I would want to make music with because of a mutual love of a genre.
Maybe you should just cut your losses and find some people with a similar mindset if you're THAT determined to play a style of music that has faded into obscurity.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:06 PM   #11
Leonid Vilkov

They kind of are scene kids. The girl claims to be "punk" and listens to paramore. I'm not sure what else she listens to, but I'm pretty sure she doesn't listen to legitimate punk like The Clash or The Ramones. She's not into hardcore unless it has clean vocals. She's not into the whole screaming/yelling all the time thing. The other guy is just into rock/hard rock like Godsmack and Disturbed and some emo/post-hardcore stuff like Sensea Fail and japanese pop rock bands.
Old 07-07-2014, 07:24 PM   #12
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd

Quote:
They kind of are scene kids. The girl claims to be "punk" and listens to paramore. I'm not sure what else she listens to, but I'm pretty sure she doesn't listen to legitimate punk like The Clash or The Ramones. She's not into hardcore unless it has clean vocals. She's not into the whole screaming/yelling all the time thing. The other guy is just into rock/hard rock like Godsmack and Disturbed and some emo/post-hardcore stuff like Sensea Fail and japanese pop rock bands.

Take a step back and read this back to yourself. Once you've done that, ask yourself; what is wrong with any of this?

Who cares if she says she's punk and doesn't like "actual" punk? Who cares if that guy likes those bands and thinks they're X Genre? The only time this is an issue is when you put up a list of bands you are influenced by, say their genre, and the person doesn't bother looking them up and checking their sound before they come to audition. That's just people being stupid.

There will always be compromise in a band. It's unlikely that you'll find someone who shares your same vision for a band, however, it's likely that you'll find someone who likes music close to what you like and is willing to work with you to create a new vision. If you want it to sound exactly like this style, then you need to say you want hired guns to play the parts you write for them and start a solo project.

Morphogenesis26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 07:28 PM   #13
Leonid Vilkov

I'm sorry. I see it clearly now. The girl said she listened to them. But told me those bands weren't that hardcore. After I played a few songs for her through my phone, she changed her mind saying they were hardcore. So I'm guessing she didn't really listen to them at first. The other guy thought he could stand it. He just wanted to play music. But after hearing the style, he changed his mind and said he didn't wanna play it. I made sure that he understood what style we were playing. I told him there would be screaming and yelling. But he changed his mind anyways. Oh well.

Last edited by Leonid Vilkov : 07-07-2014 at 07:29 PM.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:11 PM   #14
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

In the end this kinda comes down to you being unhappy that other people don't like the music you like... which is always gonna happen. In a world of individuals you're not gonna find your musical clone.

Quote:

Quote:
Old 07-07-2014, 08:17 PM   #15
Leonid Vilkov

Thank you
Old 07-08-2014, 12:16 AM   #16
ManInTheBox14
In lesbians with you

There are tons of people that listen to the stuff you want to play. We're in the internet age, for god's sake. NPR talks about grindcore and Perfect Pussy, Pitchfork gives Best New Music to Converge albums and streams stuff like Touche Amore and United Nations and Dillinger Escape Plan. Not to mention, if you just go to shows, you can easily find rooms full of people who like the stuff you do. Social networking too: use Facebook and Twitter. Don't let people tell you that people "don't listen to that kind of music anymore," because 1. it's flat-out untrue, and 2. I'd bet that as many or more people listen to that music now than did 10 or 15 or 20 years ago. It's something of a niche genre, but it's not exactly obscure.

I'm dying.
-Is it blissful?
It's like a dream.
-I want to dream.

Blog I Write For
ManInTheBox14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 03:17 AM   #17
Leonid Vilkov

That's encouraging. Thank you. And I still think your Scott Pilgrim pic is kick ass.

Rate This Thread: