Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > Archives Of The Best Threads > Bands & Artists Archives
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-04-2008, 05:56 PM   #21
Axegrinder#9
I pwn You

^ a title that is cooler than you.

and folks, I have been liking this album the more I've listened to it. definitely a keeper.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:22 PM   #22
nan0
Banned

Musterion - One of my favorites of the CD. It stands out for sure, great way to start out the album. When the lead guitar comes with the whammy "spanking" during the intro is nice. It has one of the bests solos in the album, it sounds so good with the wah-wah.

Overdriver - Another one of my favorites, I love the beginning riff. Some of the best riffs in the CD actually. The octave parts are very catchy. I heard him play it live and it's still stuck in my head. The pick scratching, I think, gives it a robotic/creature like sound.

I Just Wanna Rock - I understand how people can find it too repetitive, but it isn't too bad. The solo alone is worth listening too. I find it better than the crowd chant.

Professor Satchafunkilusv - I haven't gotten into this song really. It stands out for sure *his son ZZ starts the song out* so I don't really have any comments.

Revelation - I felt raw energy and emotion from this song. Especially from the middle on. Certain songs just stick out for me. Like Rubina and echo, songs that have even more special meaning. People call it "amature" I don't see how, music is music. There shouldn't be a limit if he wants to do it. The ending is epic, it's like he's pouring his heart out all over before the ending.

Come on baby - The Ballad of the album, it's very nice. The piano gives it a nice feeling to it. It's a very relaxing song.

Out of the Sun Rise - I like the gentile feeling this song has. I haven't heard this song enough to judge it good enough.

Diddle-y-a-doo-dat - I saw him play this live as well, it has a funny story. The song's style is pretty interesting. kinda Jazzy, makes you kinda wanna move.

Asik Veysel - The taping in the beginning is very nice and unique sounding. I like how it gets crazy as the song goes on ^^ the precussion is nice as well.

Andalusia - Saving it for last was a great idea. I like how it starts all spanish style, and shifts into solo city madness. Amazing. There's so much to this song it'll take too much space to write it all :/

My two cents. One of my fav albums oh his.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:23 AM   #23
Resiliance
Acta est fabula

I really don't like the album at all, to be honest. It's just so bland, and his tone sounds like he's found a newfound appreciation for the Marshall MG series.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:17 PM   #24
Axegrinder#9
I pwn You

^no.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:32 PM   #25
DaFjory
In Lane we trust

Finally got mine and just giving it a first spin now. Up to Come On Baby, everything seems alright. Nothing amazing, but rather more 'safe'. I guess that's just how he operates now. All his best experimental stuff was churned out until EoC, and after that there wasn't really much more to explore. So much for a switch to fusion! Hah.

First track totally reminded me of Not Of This Earth and Oriental Jam. For a moment after those chords were done ringing out, I thought he'd start busting out the crazy legato runs from NoTE.

Oh yeah, and what exactly happened to the "15-minute, four-part, really intense song that involves some ensemble playing and some out-and-out jams"?

You lied to us, Satch. Ya bald-headed bastage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicer666
he sucks on the remnants of Lane's testicles

Let some LIGHTS into your life!

Now read about her!
Old 04-09-2008, 08:58 PM   #26
Axegrinder#9
I pwn You

well "Asik Vaysel" & "Andulasia" are considered to be a unified concept - so he wasn't really lying
Old 04-09-2008, 09:12 PM   #27
nan0
Banned

Dafjory, get off the crack. You're on the 6th song, not even finished yet and you're acousing Satch of lying >.>

I'm BLASTING Andaulsia on full volume head set right now (10th song btw) . For the Third time in a row. Finish the album before you judge it damn some people can be so phuck fack fudge packing stupid. -_-

Andaulsia is phacking driving me crazy, I must learn it NOW.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:43 PM   #28
DaFjory
In Lane we trust

^ Oh shoosh already. I was being light-hearted. Thought the smiley would've gave it away, so turn on your sarcasm detector.

Overall, a very good album. Well worth the extra wait I had to make in getting it online. It'll certainly get a few more listens, because that first track really drew me in. I'd rate it way above Super Colossal and SBM, but just about on par with ITLiS. That's basically 4 albums he's made in 6 years that sound similar, so one can't fault his consistency... It's just that I'd still like for him to really branch out into something wild like fusion/jazz/prog/heavy metal (more singing, please!)

Maybe some day. At least he delivered 'safely' once again. Bravo, Satch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicer666
he sucks on the remnants of Lane's testicles

Let some LIGHTS into your life!

Now read about her!
Old 04-21-2008, 12:53 PM   #29
robbo1223
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumeriah
I personally thought that revelation was a good song. I get people are saying said the rhythm part of the song sounded elementary at best and lacked in overall creativity ( because it does ). But the solos in the song are charged with such raw emotion that it more than made up for the somewhat stale rhythm work. It reminded me alot of chords of life. So if you are looking for something new and revolutionary then yes you wont be thrilled with revelation I guess. But if you want to hear the guitar playing that made satriani a living guitar legend, you cant go wrong with revelation.

Satch himself said that Revalation was written when he was contemplating death, which in my opinion makes it more powerful.

The entire CD is awesome, way better than Super Colossal.

Last edited by robbo1223 : 04-21-2008 at 12:58 PM.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:56 PM   #30
robbo1223
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by played[out]
Professor Satchafunkilus and the Musterion of Rock...

wtf kind of title...

It's a Satriani kind of title, and it rocks. It goes to show how light hearted and awesome he is.
Old 04-27-2008, 11:53 AM   #31
Lin
Some guy

I'm a massive fan but IMHO this one is pretty mediocre. There are ten songs on crystal planet that i'd take over any of these. It really hasn't been that long since the superior Super Colossal and we only just had the Surfing reissue, so i'm unsure what this album is really for.

Asik Vassal is really cool, as is Prof, i agree. And revelation is better than you make out (though that title is such a rock clichÚ). Most of the rest are kinda mediocre. He could have got away with it if there were some good melodies, but ultimately i think he should have waited a bit longer and collected better material.

The Three Aces
On UG profiles - On Myspace

Please mark yourself as a fan if you like!
Old 04-27-2008, 12:46 PM   #32
bassmanjoe08
Needs. Caffeine.

Finally got it, and love all but possibly 2 songs on it. Prof. Satchifunkilus and Come On Baby.Still, 2 good songs.
Its great to hear Satch lay down some reggae in Out Of The Sunrise, and I know this is going to be quite juxtapose to the general opinion, but my favourite track right now is I Just Wanna Rock. It puts the most images in my head when I listen to it.

Great album! Cant wait to hear it live!
IF MATT DAMON DIES TOMMAROW

FUK

Communist Mormon of 2.21.19.8

Caffeine Head of The Bass Militia
Old 04-27-2008, 07:42 PM   #33
Axegrinder#9
I pwn You

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmanjoe08
Great album! Cant wait to hear it live!

second that!
Old 05-05-2008, 03:03 AM   #34
The Virtuoso
L'╔tranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by played[out]
Professor Satchafunkilus and the Musterion of Rock...

wtf kind of title...

A title that is cooler than you'll ever be

I just heard the album yesterday and it rocked! I'll have to give a few more listens though because one of my earphones was blown, so I was listening to it through one earphone lol.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
Old 05-10-2008, 11:21 AM   #35
100Roy001
Roy

Very cool album, I keep coming back to it. At first listen, I thought it was quite mediocre except Musterion, Overdriver, and Andalusia. But I finally appreciate all songs, except Asik Vaysel.

Am I the only one who thinks it's the weakest song on the album? I can't listen to it for more than 3/4 minutes... I don't know why, because I absolutely love Andalusia.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:24 PM   #36
sock_demon
Ol' Dirty

bought my copy this Saturday... and my God, it is too good.

I haven't even listened to the entire album yet but I find myself repeating Andalusia about fifty ( I kid you not) times a day.

I forgot the rest of the joke but I raped your mom.

저한테 한국으로 말해봐 주세요.
Old 05-18-2008, 04:14 PM   #37
Jackolas
Banned

Anyone doubting this album needs to see them performed live. You will then be amazed!
Old 06-21-2008, 12:13 AM   #38
RIP Back in Red
UG's Only Muffin Stuffer

I got it the second day it was out!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosh H
Hetfieldism?!?! Brilliant! You, sir, deserve a Guinness.

EXACT REPLICA OF ULTIMATE - GUITAR!!!!
Old 06-22-2008, 05:25 PM   #39
Free to Guitar
I wanna spend your money.

Musterion is good stuff. Doesn't rest for too long and it has a great feeling of mystery. JS usually starts his albums off with a "POW, BOOM, BAM!" song and when he doesn't, the song usually sucks. This is a big exception.
Overdriver is a standout track. Fun stuff. Not exactly innovative but a solid piece of work. Crunchy distortion(though John McLaughlin's end solo on Davis' "Right Off" has him beat there, I think).
I Just Wanna Rock is either a simple'n'fun rock song or crap, depending on the listener. I don't mind the simplicity, I think the voicebox vocals are cool. Again, not ground breaking.
Professor Satchafunkilus is cool. Although I question putting that tenor fluttering from ZZ Satriani at the beginning, I think it could have done without it, it lasts all of five seconds. You'll need a decent set of speakers and attentive ears to take in all the layers of guitar work. You'll be hearing licks you weren't aware of years from now. I'd say this is a standout track.
Revelation doesn't live up the name. Bland.
Come on Baby starts off interesting. Then it's just another sappy love song. Sometimes I like them but this has nothing to offer. Ain't bad, just ain't very exciting either.'
Out of the Sunrise is actually pretty good. I'm probably weird for disliking the previous track and enjoying this one but screw you guys. It's cool. Still nothing new.
Diddle-Y-A-Doo-Dat is a little different from Joe's usual texture, which is kinda nice. Pretty good song with a proggish feel. I think the uplifting, chorus bit is rather offputting though.
Asik Vaysel is also pretty good. It's too long by a bit but it's a jam you can get lost in.
Andalusia is the best track of the album. That's one thing most people seem able to agree on. It starts off with some lovely classical guitar-esque noodling and then proceeds to rock my face off.

Taking this album completely on its own, I'd give it 4/5 stars, but when you consider how much of this album is familiar territory for Satch fans, I have to take half a star. It's better than your average instrumental guitar album but doesn't add many essential songs to the Satch library. 3.5/5.
Old 07-06-2008, 04:51 PM   #40
Shredx
Inuendo King

A good solid album, but I don't think it will have the same impact as surfing did.

But none the less its great

Rate This Thread: