Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-04-2008, 07:53 PM   #1
Scott Jones

Becoming SUCCESSFUL has a lot to do with ATTITUDE

It all comes down to this...

No matter how fast, articulate, brilliant, your playing is...no matter how incredible your tone, your gear, your guitar, how many hours you've practiced...

If you are a jerk, egotistical, full of negativity, short-tempered, abusive, mean-spirited, irresponsible, disrespectful...no one will care how you play...

The number one thing to strive for, in becoming a great musician, is to be a person of integrity, character, honor, and respect...period.

Because, ultimately, you may revolutionize the guitar world, but if you were a hostile person, your legacy is tarnished forever...believe me, many big name greats have passed on, who were unbelievably horrid towards their fellow man, and THAT is what people still talk about...

If anger is something with which you struggle...look into it...get to the bottom of your rage, and overcome it, so that it doesn't overcome you...

Being angry in and of itself isn't unhealthy, but what you DO with it, how you treat others...DOES have an unhealthy effect on you...

Consider that you are the center of a certain sphere of influence, a vessel, and that you can do anything you want with that...change the course of people's lives with who you choose to be...with that, consider how you might be a benefit...NOT a thorn...on those to whom you come into contact...however possible it is for you to live at peace with those around you, take responsibility for it, and do so...

Do this first, consider this above your playing...and you will go much further, and in the end, without any regret...

I learned along the way, from personal tragedy (my 1st wife died of cancer when she was only 37, I was 31--back in 1997), that life guarantees us no length of time, so do what you can to leave a positive mark on this earth while you are here...

I've also learned from my own mistakes, don't misunderstand, I've NOT lived perfectly...but now that I am more aware, now that I pay attention to these things, I do try harder...

So, no "preaching" intended here, I just wanted to share from my experience...

Peace,

Scott
Scott Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 08:01 PM   #2
1,57$
Another Registered User

Yes, that's why whenever I play guitar, I make sure I'm very nice about it.
1,57$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 08:01 PM   #3
z4twenny
UG's resident Psychopath

Location: there ain't no doubt in my mind, i'm gonna stomp all over your test of time.
+ 1 to that entire thing. most of my music is pretty uptempo and kinda pissed off, but i'm pretty openminded and chill. never diss someone elses ability. if they are "worse" than you, just try to remember we all learn at different speeds and EVERYONE who has ever picked up an instrument was there at one point.

don't ever get your ego super inflated either . its one thing to be able to admit to being good, its another to think you're gods gift to music (and a totally better thing is to accept a bit of humility and realize there are always others better)

i've known plenty of people who fit the egotistical frontman and didn't even have the skills to back it up. theres nothing more annoying than the "my way is the right way, your way is crap because its not my way" attitude.
Cover of the NIN classic Head like a hole.
z4twenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 08:02 PM   #4
guitarmack1

what passion
guitarmack1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 08:02 PM   #5
Keegan560

I agree fully.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:04 PM   #6
National_Anthem
Quite the toff

The egotistical, angry attitude works for some - look at Beethoven. But to be fair, he was widely misperceived. Thanks for the post though, it showed insight and it's very true.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:06 PM   #7
oneblackened
Future Breed Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by National_Anthem
The egotistical, angry attitude works for some - look at Beethoven. But to be fair, he was widely misperceived. Thanks for the post though, it showed insight and it's very true.

Aren't you forgetting YJM?
LTD AW-7 (Dimarzio D-Activator 7s, Hipshot Bridge)
oneblackened is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 08:06 PM   #8
Scott Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by z4twenny
+ 1 to that entire thing. most of my music is pretty uptempo and kinda pissed off, but i'm pretty openminded and chill. never diss someone elses ability. if they are "worse" than you, just try to remember we all learn at different speeds and EVERYONE who has ever picked up an instrument was there at one point.

don't ever get your ego super inflated either . its one thing to be able to admit to being good, its another to think you're gods gift to music (and a totally better thing is to accept a bit of humility and realize there are always others better)

i've known plenty of people who fit the egotistical frontman and didn't even have the skills to back it up. theres nothing more annoying than the "my way is the right way, your way is crap because its not my way" attitude.

Absolutely.

And man, you can play intense, aggressive, razor-sharp music as a preference, and STILL treat others with respect.

In the end, you will be more remembered for how you treated people than for your playing.

I've never been to a funeral where, in the eulogy, someone said: "he could really sweep-tap a bad-ass minor9 arpeggio."

It's usually stories about that person's interaction with others.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:06 PM   #9
SmElLy KiD
zzwraaar!

That does sound kind of preachy, but it makes perfect sense. Nobody likes assholes.

Visit my Soundcloud, OR SUFFER.
SmElLy KiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 08:12 PM   #10
Scott Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmElLy KiD
That does sound kind of preachy, but it makes perfect sense. Nobody likes assholes.

I've got no one to preach to here. I don't know you guys that well. i'm just throwing some stuff out there, based on my own mistakes and experiences with others, trying to save some of you guys trouble as you go along. You might reflect back on this post, and choose the better path in a given moment, saving yourself gigs, relationships, etc.

Yeah, man, no preaching here. Trust me.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:25 PM   #11
SmElLy KiD
zzwraaar!

I know your just being helpful, and I respect you for doing that. You should write an article so people outside the musician forums see it.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:26 PM   #12
Scott Jones

Quote:
I know your just being helpful, and I respect you for doing that. You should write an article so people outside the musician forums see it.

Yeah, I've been getting that from fellow forumites.

I'll look into that.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:33 PM   #13
SmElLy KiD
zzwraaar!

I just saw in your profile that you were on the Grammy finalist list, so I am going to talk you message more to heart because you you must have been around and know many things. Edit: You also have some great music on your profile.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:36 PM   #14
lexieangel
"music in meeee"

very strong point.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:46 PM   #15
Scott Jones

Quote:
I just saw in your profile that you were on the Grammy finalist list, so I am going to talk you message more to heart because you you must have been around and know many things. Edit: You also have some great music on your profile.

Thanks for checking out my profile, digging deeper into things. There's MUCH more stuff on my myspace page, if you're ever bored or can't sleep.

I'd be glad to help anytime.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:03 PM   #16
Kivarenn82
Metal Un-Litist

cheers to that. I write tons of metal but categorize as extreme metal. I dont' sing about death, killing or violence.

the more decency we can spread, the better for everyone whether you pursue fame or not.

*This has been a public service announcement*
Kivarenn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 10:15 PM   #17
Damascus
The Insect King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Jones
I've got no one to preach to here.

The choir?

http://urbanscarecrow.bandcamp.com/
Damascus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 04:15 AM   #18
demonofthenight
UG Spammer

I mostly disagree to everything in this thread. Being successfull has to do with either massive ammounts of skill or if a general audience that likes what your doing or luck. Mostly that luck factor. None of your audience needs to meet you in person, they couldnt care about your personallity. Just play really great, or play something popular at the time, or be lucky enough to play in the same room as a happy drunk promoter/producer.

And Scott, some of your threads dont really belong in MT, as they are not about Music Theory, Writing & Composition, Improvising or Sight reading.
demonofthenight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 05:08 AM   #19
Avedas
yoloswag420

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonofthenight
I mostly disagree to everything in this thread. Being successfull has to do with either massive ammounts of skill or if a general audience that likes what your doing or luck. Mostly that luck factor. None of your audience needs to meet you in person, they couldnt care about your personallity. Just play really great, or play something popular at the time, or be lucky enough to play in the same room as a happy drunk promoter/producer.

And Scott, some of your threads dont really belong in MT, as they are not about Music Theory, Writing & Composition, Improvising or Sight reading.

Did you miss the point completely?

Bad interactions with bandmates will get you NOWHERE.

Also, way to be a dick with your last line.
Avedas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 05:35 AM   #20
RichieJovie
My ass bleeds for you

Being successful has more to do with who you know not what you know.

Personality and character traits have very little to do with it.

The bottom line is there is generally no formula to it at all.

As a human being you should strive to be nice to people anyway irrespective of whether you are trying to attain success for yourself.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=2yA2V_o_tjo
RichieJovie is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: