Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-05-2008, 06:05 AM   #21
lethalagent14
Bibliophile.

Playing in the same room as a happy or drunk promoter won't do you much good if you start swearing at him/her though, will it? Maybe your target audience will never meet you in person, but you still have to interact with other bandmates, management, sound technicians, recording engineers, and many other people. Luck most certainly does play a factor in success, but anyone who can't even pretend to be nice for 10 minutes won't get very far.
Old 04-05-2008, 01:07 PM   #22
rich2k4
Musician

i agree completely.

no one wants to play with someone who is an asshole.

you have a session gig, and during the gig if you are demanding, disrespectful, etc. no one is going to bother calling you back if they have another project where they need a guitar player.

no one will reccomend you to others, because your an asshole.

if your the type of person that likes to talk behind other musicians back, about how much they suck. then that gets you nowhere fast.

as a musician you have to have respect towards others.

"Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible."
rich2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 01:34 PM   #23
ouchies
UG's OG

Great thread I agree completely. I think this should I apply to EVERYTHING in life. If you want to be successful, you have to learn to work with people.
Old 04-05-2008, 01:52 PM   #24
z4twenny
UG's resident Psychopath

Location: there ain't no doubt in my mind, i'm gonna stomp all over your test of time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonofthenight
I mostly disagree to everything in this thread. Being successfull has to do with either massive ammounts of skill or if a general audience that likes what your doing or luck. Mostly that luck factor. None of your audience needs to meet you in person, they couldnt care about your personallity. Just play really great, or play something popular at the time, or be lucky enough to play in the same room as a happy drunk promoter/producer.

And Scott, some of your threads dont really belong in MT, as they are not about Music Theory, Writing & Composition, Improvising or Sight reading.

demon, normally i give you props but i think you're a bit off here. if you're an a$$hole your fans will find out (generally when the band breaks up because of a ridiculous ego, scott weiland / axl rose anyone?) granted being extremely successful (going platinum, getting grammys etc) has to do a bit with really getting recognized and writing a good tune, you'll probably never get there if nobody can stand to work with you cuz you're a dick.

secondly, this guys in the industry. regardless of what forum this belongs in, i think maybe we can learn all learn something from the experiences of someone in the music field who is/has been successful. i for one have no problems listening to advice from someone who's been doing what most of us aspire to one day do. i don't think most anyone else in here has a problem with it either.
Cover of the NIN classic Head like a hole.
z4twenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 02:23 PM   #25
metal4all
Always tripping

I think there's a better attitude to become succesful. Being absolutely determined. You showed that that's what you were in that one thread. Every successful guitarist you hear about talks about how they practiced so much and devoted their lives to it and it ended up paying off. So for becoming successful, wouldn't that be more important than being a good person?

-Max Planck
☮∞☯♥
metal4all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 02:42 PM   #26
z4twenny
UG's resident Psychopath

Location: there ain't no doubt in my mind, i'm gonna stomp all over your test of time.
^ but again, a badass who is a prick still plays with himself..... all puns intended. sure you might pique someones interest if you're incredibly good and a jerk. but you have a far better chance for success if you're nice. success can come in many forms, from being a metal superstar to scoring a soundtrack to simply writing jingles and getting paid.
Cover of the NIN classic Head like a hole.
z4twenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 02:50 PM   #27
bluesrocker101
Danny

While it does come across as preachy, I think that is excellent. I think lots of people need to know this, and act a bit more humble. And this point not only goes for music, but for every aspect in life. The rewards of being nice, and caring, and humble, are truly amazing.

To be successful, you have to be ambitious AND humble at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
bluesrocker101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 03:37 PM   #28
one vision
Trolling /sg/

True. But theres always people like Malmsteen , but I know what you mean. Respect.

New composition, the shit's dope.
SoundCloud

/sg/ - Solid Guitar
one vision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 08:15 PM   #29
ouchies
UG's OG

Quote:
Originally Posted by one vision
True. But theres always people like Malmsteen , but I know what you mean. Respect.

Everybody pretty much HATES malmsteen now. His fan base is much smaller then what it used to be.
Old 04-06-2008, 05:45 AM   #30
Kanthras
Boogerman

While I do think you listed some excellent guidelines to being a nice musician.. I'm not sure I agree with you.

For example.. Axl Rose was hardly a darling, but he's quite succesful. Steven Tyler is a bit of an asshole too (Mustaine said so. Wait, he was a dick too...).
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Kanthras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 12:00 PM   #31
Scott Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanthras
While I do think you listed some excellent guidelines to being a nice musician.. I'm not sure I agree with you.

For example.. Axl Rose was hardly a darling, but he's quite succesful. Steven Tyler is a bit of an asshole too (Mustaine said so. Wait, he was a dick too...).

Not everyone turns out to have that kind of "rock star-rebel" career.

I play in a band with a drummer who was a complete dick to the to audio/tech guys at a VERY well playing club. They banned him from the club.
Scott Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:27 AM   #32
Scott Jones

I thought I'd revive this thread for the sake of further discussion. It still applies to how I approach my career and life.

So, to reiterate, showing kindness and respect to others throughout the industry, will very much benefit you as a musician in the long run.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:46 AM   #33
food1010
Bassist

Kindness and respect don't bring you recognition or success in their own rights, but they are necessary to establish before you're able to make a name for yourself.

It's just another way to say "professionalism." No one cares that you're professional, you just need to be or else people won't work with you. It's simply an expectation.

Really being successful is all about having the diligence to make a product worth selling and being able to intelligently and persuasively market your product. It's a simple concept really, but there's a lot that goes into that. Some people just don't have the opportunities. Others don't have the skill or mindset. Others just may not want it enough.

Last edited by food1010 : 01-06-2013 at 03:50 AM.
food1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:50 AM   #34
Scott Jones

It's actually shocking how many players I run into, who aren't aware of these principles.

A favorite of mine: "There is no hope of success for the person who repels people through a negative personality. Success comes through the application of power, and power is attained, in large part, through the cooperative efforts of other people." Napoleon Hill.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:55 AM   #35
AeolianWolf
Tonal Vigilante

being successful doesn't have a lot to do with attitude.

attitude is EVERYTHING. hard work, kindness, and the remainder of the necessary components all stem from that.

as a very wise man in my life once said, "negative attitude? negative bank account." that's the way it's going to work, in music, in business, in life.

xbox gamertag: Aeolion
psid: Blackwindsamurai (holy **** i want a shorter one)
AeolianWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:57 AM   #36
Scott Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeolianWolf
being successful doesn't have a lot to do with attitude.

attitude is EVERYTHING. hard work, kindness, and the remainder of the necessary components all stem from that.

as a very wise man in my life once said, "negative attitude? negative bank account." that's the way it's going to work, in music, in business, in life.

Agreed.

Perfectly stated.

Rate This Thread: