Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Promote YOUR Band
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-18-2009, 03:46 AM   #21
pistols
i no longer like chicken

just a few words on merchandise for bands...

a lot of people don't realise that most towns have a local screen printer. look for them in you phone book, they can be really helpful. here's how;

screen printers can print on t-shirts, patches, caps, stickers, cups / glasses, even things like paper bags and green bags. (a good way to promote with green bags is to get your band name printed on them, and put in a couple of things for fans...they get free / cheap stuff, and they turn into a walking billboard when they're carrying the bag.)

if you have a good design, the printer might put it up in his / her shop, to show what they can do. their future customers will see this.

most screen printers also have equipment for digital t-shirt printing. this is because a lot of people want to have small numbers (anywhere between 1 and 10) printed, and it's a lot easier to print this way then to take time setting up the machine.
when using digital printers, photo-quality prints can be made. however, usual screen printing will require colour seperation, no fading, etc. if you want those effects, it requires multiple screens and/or complex designs.
i'll continue this is a second post, my computer is pretty crap

that is what girls find attractive.
pistols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 03:54 AM   #22
pistols
i no longer like chicken

i have heard of a program called ILLUSTRATOR. this is like photoshop, but better suited to screen printing. it also has colours listed in the way screen printers keep them. for example, a kind of yellow is called 123 (i forgot the prefixes for these, but the inks are sorted by number, and it helps to have a decent understanding.) just keep in mind that the colour you see on the screen won't look exactly the same as what you get on the shirt. if in doubt, ask the printer.

the less colours you use, the less the shirt will cost. this is because each colour will take up one screen.
do not ask for things like colours printed straight across the buttons on a polo shirt. this can damage the screens. if you have any different ideas about placement of images, ask the printer about what is possible.

try not to get big blocks of yellow on dark shirts. this requires several coats of ink, and still isn't guaranteed to cover the shirt properly. you will usually see traces of the shirt showing through.

when talking to the printer, ask about rates. in australia there are several places that can do one colour prints for $10 each if it is an order of around 30 - 50, or more.
also check out their samples. the lines should be VERY straight. ask them if they will stretch the print...a print that has been cured (dried) properly won't crack, unless it is old. (best to mention you want to know if things are well cured, then they will demonstrate for you.)
another post...

Old 07-18-2009, 04:02 AM   #23
pistols
i no longer like chicken

ask the printer if your designs are too detailed or not. very fine lines require screens with a high number of threads per centimeter (100 or so) but even so this doesn't mean it will be perfect. inks CAN bleed, and your design might not be suitable. also, keep in mind that sometimes the emulsion in the screens will sometimes wear out a little bit, leaving a small (2 or 3 mil) patch of ink that isn't meant to be there. don't stress, the printers will have seen it, and not all of your shirts will have them. also, the printers will remove the unwanted ink if it's possible.

a lot of printers will also be able to help you find places that do other merch, such as badges.
beware that some places will say they do screen printing, but don't do it themselves. they send it to a screen printer, which means you pay the printer, and then you pay the company you ordered through. make sure that you are buying direct from the printer, this will be a lot cheaper.

so there you have it...look around and you are sure to find a printer near you, and they can provide you with high-quality merchandise and some invaluable promotion.

edit: some printers also have designers working for them. they usually charge an hourly rate.

Last edited by pistols : 07-18-2009 at 04:03 AM.
Old 07-25-2009, 08:23 AM   #24
david90678

why not send some samples to Sony BMG? They're cool about it, on their site you can upload a song, or there's an adress to their office in your country.
david90678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 12:47 AM   #25
pistols
i no longer like chicken

^i'd be wary about sending samples to most labels, because some labels don't send them back. and apparently there's some legal loophole or something where labels can shelve the song, and get another artist to play it later. i'm pretty sure sony bmg was one of the good ones that DOESN'T do that, but i'm not entirely sure.

Old 08-03-2009, 03:12 PM   #26
mr gOiD
ALL HAIL HETFIELD

I need help with a little myspace promotion.

How do you add the pics of band members to the Band Memebers Section. I tried photobucket and implanted the img code and the html, got nothing. I may be doing it wrong but help would be grteatly appreciated.

Thanks!

You Stay Classy, Ultimate Guitar
mr gOiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 05:31 PM   #27
CODE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr gOiD
I need help with a little myspace promotion.

How do you add the pics of band members to the Band Memebers Section. I tried photobucket and implanted the img code and the html, got nothing. I may be doing it wrong but help would be grteatly appreciated.

Thanks!

That should work, I have done it exactly like that. Maybe check the size of your pictures, so they aren't gigantic or tiny, and make sure everything was copied and pasted right. And if you move photos or edit them in photobucket it will break your link code and you have to get the new version, so that could have been it.
CODE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 01:10 PM   #28
thefoundationof
Say NO to goatsecks

there is another site, that right now is small, but when it gets bigger can and will help out a lot:

www.gotscene.com

They offer a lot of stuff for independent bands, and has almost every resource you need.
In that website alone, you can look for local studios, venues, places to stay if you play outside of your town, musicians you are missing.

or even if your not in a band, you can go and post yourself, and find a jam partner, sell equipment, you can also put your own studio, and it just has a lot to offer.

It's a great website, and all it needs is a little bit more bump, and it will be amazing for local bands.

thefoundationof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 02:02 PM   #29
NFFC_1865
I'm back :)

www.1click2fame.com
industry experts and fans will comment an rate your performance. honestly a friend of mine won a video shoot and HD vid cam thats how I found the site. Then again she does have over a million hits on her youtube cover vids (KKV91)

Its a godo site and I have been selected as a 12watch so I know its genuine :p

AN NFFC_1865 POST
MY MUSIC SPACE
(myspace.com/michaellynchmusicuk)
NFFC_1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 03:42 AM   #30
ansuzgardaraiwo

Paramount as the blue whale is to the ocean deep, unrivaled in it's sheer mass, so too are they who talk above trees, unique to the dirt and it's children. Vision and perspective, that not limited to those who crawl or they, the fur-less, who walk on two foolish feet. Wisdom unheard must their two eyes contain. Obsidian pearls of wealth. After all, who else may bathe their heads in the sky and kiss the sun? We are Giraffe, an Auckland, New Zealand based band that tries to see the world the way a giraffe does. Looking beyond the view of a rabbit but not indulging in the arrogance of a bird. Keeping it down to earth but still aiming high.

HAIL AMDUSIAS.

www.myspace.com/giraffetheband
ansuzgardaraiwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 04:29 AM   #31
RA_Nick

This is an amazing

one good way to help with the myspace promotion or any to be honest is to try to be as personal as possible when talking to potential fans, people love having that feeling that they are bonding with a cool new band and are more likely to tell their friends, come to shows or even buy songs or whatnot.
RA_Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 07:39 AM   #32
hatchet130
Doin Barrel Rolls

oh wow. this helps out alot! thanks for putting it together!

Aria Pro II XR (Dropped A)

Amp:
Line 6 Spider III (Chugg'oMatic)
hatchet130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 11:51 AM   #33
Twoshadesofblue

http://www.myspace.com/twoshadesofblueacoustic

Check us out were a new acoustic band Thanks .
Twoshadesofblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 05:29 PM   #34
ESPearl
†Esquilax†Blast†Beats†

I wish i understood how distortion radio worked, and I would add Unfiltered Radio, they play a block of your bands songs then have you do a call in interview for their podcast, it's pretty sick.

+ my band put an EP on iTunes from Tunecore months ago and we never got a cent from them yet or even heard about it and I know of so many friends who bought our EP and I even bought it lol, so bs... I keep e-mailing them but never get a straight up response.
Gibson SG Standard - FOR SALE
ESP LTD DJ-600 - FOR SALE
Amps:
Marshall JCM 800 Kerry King Signature Half Stack
Marshall MG100HDFX Half Stack
Peavy VYPYR
Crate GFX-65
ESPearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 08:44 AM   #35
hatchet130
Doin Barrel Rolls

Does anyone know where i can make custom merch?

Aria Pro II XR (Dropped A)

Amp:
Line 6 Spider III (Chugg'oMatic)

Last edited by hatchet130 : 10-22-2009 at 08:53 AM.
hatchet130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 07:55 PM   #36
ESPearl
†Esquilax†Blast†Beats†

Quote:
Originally Posted by STRYCHNIA
Whaaatt? People actually purchased your album and you didn't receive any money!?
I had high hopes for TuneCore !

We're yet to recieve anything man it sucks
Gibson SG Standard - FOR SALE
ESP LTD DJ-600 - FOR SALE
Amps:
Marshall JCM 800 Kerry King Signature Half Stack
Marshall MG100HDFX Half Stack
Peavy VYPYR
Crate GFX-65
ESPearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 06:49 AM   #37
Jandy
Lost in Theory

Check out artistdata. I think this is VITAL for any gigging musician, such a time saver. You can set it up to automatically send updates to Twitter, Facebook, Myspace and more when you have new gigs. It can automatically update your Myspace upcoming gigs sections, and best of all it almost automatically notifies your local newspapers, publications, and websites such as Eventful.com.

This site does so much more including exporting tour dates to XML and you can even blog from it and have it sent out via RSS.

This is a free site, hopefully it stays that way!

Myspace | Facebook | Google Buzz | Twitter | YouTube | iTunes
Jandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 07:19 AM   #38
Jandy
Lost in Theory

REVISED AS OF 2 NOV 09

PART 1

Hey guys, some of you have checked my band out before, but I thought I'd share with you some of the things I've noticed in running promotion for Race You There over the past year.

Before I begin read this very carefully.

You love music, you love making it, playing it, listening to it, having sex to it. I get that. You wouldn't be here otherwise. But passion only gets you so far. Passion and dedication are two completely different things. So take a looooonnngg hard look at your music, then look at the bands in your area who are successful. Can you live up to that? Because if you can't you're in for a world of work with little payoff. But if you're confident that your music is something that people will want to hear, then continue reading.

Be prepared to live in squalor. Be prepared to spend countless hours on social networking sites. Be prepared to be sleeping in the van. Be prepared to listen to hundred of ****ty bands that you'll open for, or who will open for you. Expect financial hardship. This needs to be your LIFE if you want it to happen. Its harder to get signed now than ever before. Home recording studios have given countless bedroom musicians the opportunity to make a myspace profile and send out friend requests just like you. You face a world of opposition. And no, you will NEVER be famous. 99.9999% of you should stop that hope right now. The best you can really hope for is to land somewhere in the upper-middle, but even with solid songwriting and great instrumentation music is evolving at the speed of light, and what was hot yesterday is in the clearance bin today. That's why hip-hop is doing so well right now, but that's a whole different beast.

Alright, sorry for the doom and gloom, but if you're STILL with me and ready to live off of top ramen while doing your first 10 show tour, maybe you've got what it takes.

SOCIAL NETWORKING-

Myspace, Facebook, Last.fm, Twitter, Bebo, Reverbnation, etc etc. There are so many social networks out there now. Which should you be using? As many as you can keep updated all the time. Content is KING and today people want to get that content their own way. To start, I'd recommend going with the "Triforce of Content". Myspace, Facebook, and Twitter. Set these pages up with as much relevant content to your project as you can. Video, pictures, mailing lists, blogs, news, biography, and of course music. Next, make sure you link up your mobile phone to Twitter. Then there's a lot of choices you can make on how to make your life simpler. There are a lot of services you can link up these networks so you don't have to re-post your content several times to update everything. There's plenty of stuff you'll still have to update manually on each site, but status updates and blogs can all pretty much be posted once. For instance, with Race You There I have worked it out so that if I send a text update to Twitter, Twitter forwards this to both my Facebook Page and Myspace Artist status in one go. This is great for little updates. For bigger updates, I usually post from Facebook. I do this by importing RSS from Facebook to Twitter, which in turn forwards it back to Myspace. If I book a new show I use Artistdata, which sends the show to my Myspace gigs calendar, Facebook status, and Twitter feed. Confused? Google some of the services I mentioned earlier, it'll make sense after some reading. But remember not to get in over your head, you still need to do a lot of micro-managing on these individual sites such as event invites. So make sure not to have a bunch of lesser used social networks that have a bunch of out-dated content on them. You're better off not being on a network at all, than having a bunch of old gigs and demos sitting on one network, and much more updated information on another. Race You There is guilty of this. Check out the links in my signature to imeem or reverbnation. The sites are embarrassingly unkempt. Once you have your content, you need people to deliver the content to. In the real world, make sure to include your most popular social networks on your business cards (what, you don't have business cards?). I went so far as to make a pretty basic print out on photoshop of a picture of the band along with all of our social networks. I threw it in a frame and keep it on our merch table at our shows. As far as gathering online fans, each social network tends to have different ways of attracting fans that is beyond the scope of this article. The one thing I can recommend with all networks to help you out is to make sure you are joining the conversation. Reply to your followers tweets, comment on your myspace friend's statuses, and respond to your facebook fans that leave comments on your updates. You can still post self-promotional updates, but if people like your music they DO want to know if you're going over the album artwork, or fixing the tour van's transmission. If I have nothing of particular relevance to report, in the interest of keeping people's attention, I'll simply post an article from digg or reddit that I found interesting, and when people comment on it, I'll engage them in conversation. People want to feel connected and appreciated. Be human about it.

STREET PROMOTION-

There's a lot of opportunities to be had online, hell almost every gig I've ever booked for Race You There has been either through myspace or e-mail. Most venues don't like bands actually coming in to their place of business while they are trying to help customers and waving a press kit or demo in their face. Yet either out of laziness or naivete fledgling bands tend to neglect street promotion. You need to give your CD or demo out EVERYWHERE for free. Leave stacks at coffee shops, record stores, anywhere they'll let you. Bring stacks of them to other shows and staple a flyer for your next gig to the CD sleeve. To get noticed even by an indie label a band needs to form a huge following in its area before thinking about anything else. I'm going to repeat myself just to make SURE this is clear. HAND YOUR CDS OUT EVERYWHERE. This is easily the most important piece of promotional material you have. If you have a full album and don't want to give it out for free then burn CD-R's that only have two or three songs and give those out. Just remember to have your contact information on everything you hand out. Myspace, e-mail, and phone number at the minimum. This applies not just to street promotion. Any piece of paper, e-mail, or otherwise needs to have your contact information.

Old 11-02-2009, 07:19 AM   #39
Jandy
Lost in Theory

PART 2

-NAME RECOGNITION & BRANDING

This is the point of promotion that gets lost on a lot of bands, because they're really terms that are used in the world of marketing. Sorry to break it to you, but your music is a PRODUCT and you are trying to sell it. Maybe not for money, maybe just for more fans. It is amazing how much more receptive people are, be it potential fans, bookers, label reps, promoters, other bands are when they've heard the name of your band before. We are fickle creatures and something as simple as recognizing your band's name can mean the difference between getting a great gig and playing Joe's Fish and Chips for the umpteenth time for your twelve friends. Again, social networks are great for establishing name recognition, but so are stickers! Uprinting.com has great deals on full color stickers, I just ordered 1000 of them for $230, that's a pretty good deal considering the size I ordered. Then I stuck them all over the downtown areas where the venues in my city are. People will see them, even if they don't remember seeing them, their brain's will. On to branding. Branding is closely related to name recognition. I know you want to have 20 cool logos for your band, but that makes it difficult to recognize. What is a brand? Check out the Ultimate-guitar logo at the top of this post. That's a logo yes, but the font they use for the site name is the BRAND, its everywhere on this site and instantly recognizable. Not all brands are text, think about the Rolling Stones with the lips brand, or coca cola's (recently revamped) red white and blue sphere. You need to drop the cash on a graphic designer, or if you've got the skills make something simple and recognizable. Metallica. What image just came into your head? Yeah. Exactly.

-ETIQUETTE

I've got a good buzz right now so I won't go deep into etiquette, because I could easily write ten pages on it. But relations with other bands, promoters, venues, and booking agents is essential. If you alienate people, expect doors of opportunity to be closing on you. Here's an example. There's a little acoustic act in the area we play that I personally love. The guy is a little eccentric, but a great singer-songwriter and I used to love inviting him to open our shows. I started to realize that all of the people who came to see him would quickly disappear after his set. And so would he. I finally caught him outside inviting all of his fans to go get drunk with him after the set. I have never called him to gig with us again. It is common etiquette that if you are playing early at the venue, you stay to watch the other bands, as many as you can, and encourage your fans to do the same. Or if you are playing later, get there early and invite people who are coming to see you to come get a drink with you and watch some great music before the set. I was about to go into talking about show slots and money consolidation, but I'll leave that for another time (let me know if you're interested in reading about it and I'll write an article or something)

-MAILING LISTS

Holy sh**, this has got to be the most neglected aspect of promotion. Writing your myspace and facebook pages on your CD is good, but people won't necessarily add you as a friend or ever go to your profile again. It is so important to keep a mailing list at every show and get people to sign it! I used to the be the guy who got off stage, busted out a cigarette and took 10 minutes to myself after every show. That's stupid. You need to get out to the crowd immediately and hand out CDs and get e-mails. There is even a free service out now called Tatango where you can send free Text Message alerts to fans, this is a good alternative option to e-mail lists. I do both. You probably should too. While on the subject, do not send too many newsletters or texts out to fans. They'll get pissed. I send out 1 newsletter and 2 text messages a month. Any more and people are likely to unsubscribe. But the beauty of mailing lists and such is that you have contact information to send band updates whether they check your myspace/facebook/twitter or not. Utilize this. E-mails have become so important to me, I cherish every one I get at a show.

-TRADING SHOWS

This won't work for everyone. My band, Race You There, happens to be based out of Tucson, Arizona. Tucson has a decent music scene, but is small potatoes compared to Phoenix. However, we have a big following in the city, so we have a bargaining chip. I can message some of the bigger Phoenix bands and open a show for them and in return they get to come down to my city, play a show with us and play for our entire draw of fans. Bands love doing this. Playing with the right groups is half the battle. Also, make sure you let whatever band that has the biggest draw play LAST. People tend to leave after seeing the act they came for, but if you are playing before the big headliner a lot of those people will show up early and check you out. Play, hand out CDs with your contact info on them, get e-mails, repeat.

-FLYERS

Make or print them. Post them everywhere. Even if people don't come to your show, its more name recognition.

Alright, that's all for now. If any of you guys found this interesting or have any questions let me know, I'm more than willing to share more of what I've learned.

Good luck, you're going to need it.

Peace and love.
http://www.myspace.com/raceyoutheremusic

Old 11-21-2009, 02:43 PM   #40
damo13

damo13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: