Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-01-2016, 09:23 AM   #1
KailM

Jet City JCA 22H? Can it get clean???

Well, I've been in the market for a small (ish) all-tube head for quite some time now. With a birthday coming up soon, I should end up with enough money to get one. Probably going to go used. Budget is around $350 tops.

Goals: Excellent cleans (to be used with ambient pedals), but low to mid-gain goodness is a secondary goal. I don't need high-gain -- I've got a 6505+.

I've been looking at these Jet Citys -- man, the mid to high-gain tone sounds gorgeous. I could really put that to good use. But I haven't heard many demos that feature a truly clean tone, which could be a problem. I want cleans that are very noticeably better than my 6505+. I've heard a few clips of the JCA 22H that are clean -- but it seems like the player may have had to work pretty hard to get them -- by lowering guitar volume, running the gain at almost zero, etc. Basically what I have to do with my 6505 to get good cleans. I don't want an amp that "struggles" to get good cleans, but eventually can get them. I want good cleans to be easily obtained.

I keep going back to the Peavey Valveking II 20 watt micro head. I know its cleans are amazing, because I've played one. I'm not sure if I'd dig the overdriven tones for long though. They sounded alright when I played one, but once the honeymoon period is over....you never know. Again, I would NOT be needing high-gain out of the thing.

I've also looked at the Vox Nighttrain 15 watt. Nice mid-gain again -- but not sure about the cleans. Seems like again, an amp that was primarily designed for breakup.

I should mention that I'm not looking at mini-heads for "bedroom volumes." I would most likely be cranking the thing often. I run my 6505+ through a 4 X 12 and regularly turn it up to "3."... I just want something smaller and portable to compliment my 112 cab.

Please discuss. And thank you.

Pestilential Flood
KailM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 09:31 AM   #2
gorkyporky
I like pie.

I have a JCA 50, and i have to say, if you want a good clean amp, stay away from JetCities. I managed to get a decent clean out of it, but its basicly what you said, setting the gain to zero and being pretty carefull with your guitar.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:54 AM   #3
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

I'm surprised you have to work so hard to get cleans from a 6505+, since they were specifically made to address that very concern in regard to the 6505?

Before you get too crazy, try a 12au7 in v1 and see what you think. That's how I run mine and I'm pretty happy with the cleans. Of course you may be looking for something entirely different, but it's a pretty inexpensive experiment.

And if it works, you have extra money for other gear that you want!!
Old 02-01-2016, 11:18 AM   #4
KailM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby911
I'm surprised you have to work so hard to get cleans from a 6505+, since they were specifically made to address that very concern in regard to the 6505?

Before you get too crazy, try a 12au7 in v1 and see what you think. That's how I run mine and I'm pretty happy with the cleans. Of course you may be looking for something entirely different, but it's a pretty inexpensive experiment.

And if it works, you have extra money for other gear that you want!!

I shouldn't say I have to work extremely hard to get good cleans. I get pretty good cleans out of it. I run 5751s in V1 and the PI position, as well as running a TC Hall of Fame Reverb and Flashback Delay (and now an EQD Afterneath ...NPD thread coming soon). But at the end of the day they still aren't excellent cleans. With all of those pedals the cleans are certainly good enough to gig with.

I'm just after cleans that have that missing warmth and lushness -- even without a lot of effects added. I'll probably always use some reverb though.

Also, I should be getting a 12DW7 tube in the mail today, which I'll try in V2. Since those have a different gain factor per side -- the side going into the clean channel will be like a 12Au7, with a normal 12AX7 gain factor going into the lead channel side. I'll report back about my findings.

Pestilential Flood
Old 02-01-2016, 11:52 AM   #5
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:
Originally Posted by KailM
I shouldn't say I have to work extremely hard to get good cleans. I get pretty good cleans out of it. I run 5751s in V1 and the PI position, as well as running a TC Hall of Fame Reverb and Flashback Delay (and now an EQD Afterneath ...NPD thread coming soon). But at the end of the day they still aren't excellent cleans. With all of those pedals the cleans are certainly good enough to gig with.

I'm just after cleans that have that missing warmth and lushness -- even without a lot of effects added. I'll probably always use some reverb though.

Also, I should be getting a 12DW7 tube in the mail today, which I'll try in V2. Since those have a different gain factor per side -- the side going into the clean channel will be like a 12Au7, with a normal 12AX7 gain factor going into the lead channel side. I'll report back about my findings.

Yeah, that's one tube I've not tried yet, and like your idea of putting it in V2 but note that generally the farther from the input, the less effect you will see.

I am curious how it works out though.
Old 02-01-2016, 11:59 AM   #6
KailM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorkyporky
I have a JCA 50, and i have to say, if you want a good clean amp, stay away from JetCities. I managed to get a decent clean out of it, but its basicly what you said, setting the gain to zero and being pretty carefull with your guitar.

Bummer. That mid-gain tone is really nice. Cleans are my priority with this purchase though.

Pestilential Flood
Old 02-01-2016, 12:14 PM   #7
MaaZeus

inb4 Cathbard appears and recommends Randall RM and some modules, Fenderish and Soldano in this case.

Which now that I think about it might not be a bad idea.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
MaaZeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 12:53 PM   #8
TheQuailman
Dan says I like poop

The JCA22H definitely has pretty mediocre cleans. No sparkles. None.
Maybe the JC20HV is better in that regard, since it's more geared towards low-to-mid-gain sounds, but I haven't tried it myself.

How about the Super Champ X2 head? That'll do cleans.

Quote:
,__(^<
\___)

TheQuailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 12:56 PM   #9
Robbgnarly

Look for a Krank 1980 Jr. It has a great clean channel and a HR marshall lead channel

I bought mine for $300 used at GC
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 04:52 PM   #10
lumberjack
The Axe Man

Question for OP: have you *played* the JCA 22H in person to know that you think those gain tones are so great? Because I thought they sounded good online as well, ordered one, and in an actual room they didn't sound very good to me at all. Too much of that weird buzzy crap that seems so common with budget-range high gain amps, and don't be fooled: the JCA 22H has truckloads of gain.

The cleans are not good on the JCA 22H, the headroom is pretty low, and the medium gain sounds are just OK. The fundamental high-gain tone you get from the drive channel is very good, but it's plagued by this buzzy/tinny high-mid and low-high fizz that is super not cool.

Do you absolutely need the amp to be a head and not a combo? As mentioned above if you're looking for good cleans and low-to-mid gain sounds I wouldn't be looking at anything Jet City makes. If you absolutely must have your amp in a head/cab format, you might consider the Egnater stuff used. There's an open box Tweaker 15 on Musicians Friend for $350 right now. Another option is Blackstar; they're cleans are a lot better than the Jet City stuff IMO, and has a smoother mild break up and medium gain character that sounds a lot more convincing. Maybe a used HT-20?
lumberjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 09:15 AM   #11
KailM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby911
Yeah, that's one tube I've not tried yet, and like your idea of putting it in V2 but note that generally the farther from the input, the less effect you will see.

I am curious how it works out though.

Well, I got that tube. I put it in V2 last night but unfortunately only got to play with it for 5 minutes or so. Suffice it to say, I should have done this five years ago. The cleans are now pretty damned good. You'd never guess it was a 6505+. The best part about it is I'm now able to dig into the strings pretty hard without it clipping. Over the years I've learned to play softly to improve my cleans, which has some limitations on different styles of playing. Anyway, this may change what I buy for my next amp as well.

I've got to spend some time checking out how the 12DW7 sounds with crunch as well. I didn't spend much time on the lead channel, but so far, it sounds pretty much the same as it did with a 12AX7 there. I'll do a full review of the tube and my new reverb pedal sometime later today hopefully.

Pestilential Flood
Old 02-02-2016, 09:17 AM   #12
Fisheth24
I play Bass.

I love my JCA 22 for high gain stuff, cleans. Not really, it's usable with a bit of chorus/reverb though.
Old 02-02-2016, 10:47 AM   #13
trashedlostfdup
likes hamuckers.

Jsx?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 11:22 AM   #14
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:
Well, I got that tube. I put it in V2 last night but unfortunately only got to play with it for 5 minutes or so. Suffice it to say, I should have done this five years ago. The cleans are now pretty damned good. You'd never guess it was a 6505+. The best part about it is I'm now able to dig into the strings pretty hard without it clipping. Over the years I've learned to play softly to improve my cleans, which has some limitations on different styles of playing. Anyway, this may change what I buy for my next amp as well.

I've got to spend some time checking out how the 12DW7 sounds with crunch as well. I didn't spend much time on the lead channel, but so far, it sounds pretty much the same as it did with a 12AX7 there. I'll do a full review of the tube and my new reverb pedal sometime later today hopefully.

Good to hear. I strongly suspected that would be the case. These amps have so damn much gain on tap that backing it off a bit in the right places really makes a marked difference.
Old 02-02-2016, 12:37 PM   #15
Cajundaddy

Any amp will clean up if you roll off the gain enough. The problem is that an amp really well tuned for hi gain often sounds pretty dull when run clean. JCA is often cited as great hi gain, and zero charisma clean.

Exceptions-

Mesa, phenomenal Fendery clean but more $$$

HRD- Legendary Fender clean and loud as hell

Super Champ- Very good Fender clean and often "just enough to gig". Dirt cheap.
Cajundaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 12:46 PM   #16
metalmingee

Quote:

I did this on my 5150 and I still didn't have to dime the gain on Crunch to get it back to thrash. Start spreading the word!!
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)

Amps:
Mesa Dual Rec Roadster 212
Peavey 5150 212 with V30s
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver
metalmingee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 02:04 PM   #17
J_W

The JCA22 does not have a true clean. The cleaner channel is the same channel in the JCA20 which I own and it's just not clean. You can dial it in fairly clean, but it doesn't have the headroom to have a very loud usable clean.
J_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 02:09 PM   #18
tubetime86
I don't even play guitar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajundaddy
HRD- Legendary Fender clean and loud as hell

Really? They have one of the worst sounding dirt channels I've ever heard... And no one has ever said 'I'd really like something with that legendary Fender HRD clean tone.' Maybe 'I'd like something with that Fender name badge so I can talk about its legendary clean tone.'

I'd agree they are loud, though.
Originally Posted by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!

Last edited by tubetime86 : 02-02-2016 at 02:11 PM.
tubetime86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 02:20 PM   #19
Cajundaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetime86
Really? They have one of the worst sounding dirt channels I've ever heard... And no one has ever said 'I'd really like something with that legendary Fender HRD clean tone.' Maybe 'I'd like something with that Fender name badge so I can talk about its legendary clean tone.'

I'd agree they are loud, though.

Clearly someone who has never gigged with one... or gigged anywhere ever.

Check the OP. He isn't looking for "dirt" he is looking for excellent clean which the HRD has in spades. Nobody really cares what you think about the HRD dirt channel because it is mundane and irrelevant to the thread.
Cajundaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 02:39 PM   #20
tubetime86
I don't even play guitar.

'Low to mid-gain goodness is a secondary goal.' Who needs to reread?
Originally Posted by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
tubetime86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: