Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-01-2015, 01:51 AM   #1
nick.culliton

Bla-bla-bla New Pedal MONTH!!

As many of you know, my pedalboard has been quite the revolving door! I think I'm pretty satisfied with everything I have now, so here's a picture and I'll share my thoughts on all these pedals.

We'll start from the beginning!

TC Polytune - This is the only original pedal on my board. If you don't have one of these and need a tuner, get one. You won't regret it. The open strum tuning function doesn't work well if you use weird tunings like I do. You have to set the tuner to tune to a specific tuning (you can add your own using a computer, I'm too lazy) to use it. But it's great. Very accurate and probably my favorite pedal on the board.

Fulltone Full-Drive 3 - In short, this does everything the FD2 does, but better. I wouldn't say just "1" better, but much better. My interest in this pedal sparked from when I found that the boost section was independent of the OD circuit, so it truly is 2 pedals in one. The FD3 is way more versatile in terms of sounds, but sometimes I miss the MOSFET chip. I use this on the "Wide Asym" mode, which is more transparent than the FD2. Anyone who gets this and feels nostalgic, flip it over to the 90's mode and you have yourself a 20% smaller FD2 with a real boost. It's 100% clean, too. I'm blown away by how loud the boost is. I set it around 9 o'clock and it makes my sound significantly louder. The germanium diode "Dynamics" knob is an excellent touch. The change in sound is very minimal, but the higher the knob, the more rounded off the high-end is. Not terribly noticeable with gain, but when clean you can definitely tell. By the way, this one is #49. Born 4/17/14.

Fulltone OCD 1.7 - Wow. I feel pretty moronic for not jumping on this sooner. My initial worry that this pedal would be too similar to the FD2 or FD3. I couldn't have been more wrong. Now I'm worried it might take over as my main gain! I use it for higher gain songs. The LP mode is more transparent than the HP mode and it has a very modern distortion sound. I'm not a huge fan of the mid-hump on the HP mode. It takes the boost from the FD3 pretty well, which fattens up the sound nicely. I like how it sounds completely different from the FD3. I use this pedal as more of a distortion. Strangely enough, it even takes the FD3's OD reasonably well.

EHX Soul Food - I use this pedal as a clean boost.* I originally used an EHX LPB-1, but the SF blew it off my board. The SF is a 100% clean boost. It adds some bass, but at least it doesn't compress and add gain to my signal like the LPB-1. Very happy with this. Plus, it didn't cost me a dollar thanks to a trade, which I made money on.

Effects Loop pedals:

1998 Boss CH-1 Super Chorus - I had some GAS for a chorus pedal to mess around with after listening to Title Fight's latest album, Hyperview. This pedal is great for subtle and over the top chorus effects. I really like it. Adds a nice layer to my sound.

Malekko 616 Ekko Dark - The darker version of the popular 616, not only by color but also by sound. This delay has very brooding echos, but they're not muddy. I love the warmth and fatness as well. Sounds absolutely fantastic. The modulation settings are also fun to mess with. I highly recommend this pedal over the Carbon Copy.

TC Electronic T2 - I got this pedal kind of on an impulse after seeing it was on sale for $100 on MF. It's a great reverb pedal and I actually ended up replacing my HoF with it. By no means is the HoF a bad reverb pedal, but I found myself bored and limited by its functions. The T2 is similar to an HoF, but has a lot of insane reverb sounds. Some are too insane to be seriously usable to my ears, but I use 4-5 different reverb settings for my band's songs. The TonePrint option is really cool as well.

*Why do I have 2 clean boosts on my board? I use one on the back end to push the noise pedals and one on the front end to drive the amp.

Well, there you go. That's my board! I'm thinking this is it. I can't think of anything else I would add. I don't have much space for anything else, but I could probably fit a mini-pedal on it. I've thought about an EHX Freeze, but I can't think of any reason why I would need to use it except for transitions between songs. I'm open to suggestions, but only if they're small!

Thanks for reading!

Polytune 2 > Full-Drive 3 > OCD > Soul Food > Peavey VK212
Effects Loop: CH-1 > 616 Ekko Dark > T2

My Band - Debut EP OUT NOW!
nick.culliton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 03:20 AM   #2
RJH11
Tone chaser

Nice board man.
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
RJH11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 07:55 AM   #3
Will Lane
what's boutique

That is a pretty board C:

I see you still have room for an EHX-sized pedal in the upper left... you're not done yet You could get a mini pedal from Hotone, Tone City, or Moog. Maybe another verb. You could also move all your pedals up a space and use the mini wah...

Last edited by Will Lane : 03-01-2015 at 08:02 AM.
Will Lane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 12:45 PM   #4
monwobobbo

obviously you need another overdrive . nice setup. no phaser or wha though so those might be ideas.
monwobobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 01:33 PM   #5
lucky1978
Blues Kazooist

Nice haul! I'm a big fan of the Full-Drive myself and admittedly jealous of your #49, thats pretty cool.

So...what's next? Haha
Old 03-01-2015, 03:01 PM   #6
nick.culliton

Thanks guys! Realistically, if I could mount my power supply underneath the board, I could easily add 2-3 more pedals. I have no idea what else to add! My band doesn't really need any other sounds, but I think I'd upgrade my reverb to the smaller BigSky.

I don't do any lead work being the only other instrument in the band, so I don't really need a wah pedal.

I can't even see myself getting a noise-gate. My amp is pretty quiet.

@monwobobbo
I think the logical addition would be a fuzz pedal, so I have all my grounds covered.

Old 03-01-2015, 03:57 PM   #7
monwobobbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick.culliton
Thanks guys! Realistically, if I could mount my power supply underneath the board, I could easily add 2-3 more pedals. I have no idea what else to add! My band doesn't really need any other sounds, but I think I'd upgrade my reverb to the smaller BigSky.

I don't do any lead work being the only other instrument in the band, so I don't really need a wah pedal.

I can't even see myself getting a noise-gate. My amp is pretty quiet.

@monwobobbo
I think the logical addition would be a fuzz pedal, so I have all my grounds covered.

wha's are for more than leads ya know (theme from Shaft playing in the background). Fuzz, yeah but much like overdrives you buy one and the next thing you know you have 3 on your board. gotta have a big muff, fuzz face and another odd ball one jus cuz.
monwobobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 04:37 PM   #8
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

sweet

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 05:25 PM   #9
H4T3BR33D3R
UG's Poison Mist

Nice board man.

Ill be grabbing a polytune after I grab a reverb. My old planet waves is about to croak

Only at times, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelfox
There are sites called plushdotyiff where people talk about yiffing plushies

Axel in heat.
H4T3BR33D3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 11:52 PM   #10
nick.culliton

Thanks all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monwobobbo
wha's are for more than leads ya know (theme from Shaft playing in the background). Fuzz, yeah but much like overdrives you buy one and the next thing you know you have 3 on your board. gotta have a big muff, fuzz face and another odd ball one jus cuz.

I had a Double Muff for awhile, but I recently sold that. I was after a Big Muff Pi w/Tone Wicker, but when I couldn't find that I "settled" for an OCD.

Old 03-02-2015, 02:18 AM   #11
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

nice selection!

one question, can you use just the boost on the FD-3? or is it like the FD-2 mosfet in which it has to have the OD on to use the boost? or can you use the boost independently?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
See what I mean by, "they demonised it"? Tim's attitude is typical of what they did to everybody. The media drove that sort of Disney shit into everybody's brain. Only old farts like me missed it in our formative years.
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 05:00 PM   #12
nick.culliton

^ Thank you!

The boost on the FD-3 is independent, which is one of the reasons why I got rid of the FD-2 for it.

Rate This Thread: