Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 05-09-2008, 04:14 PM   #1
turkish_bathmat

Moving House new amp

Hi,

Having owned a Marshall DSL401 for about 12 months and being kind of happy with it, but not totally, I am moving to a small flat, that to be honest is way to small for that amp.

Therefore I am trying to decide between what amps to get, its got to be funded by the sale of the DSL so around 250 max and I am torn between a valve Jr combo or a roland cube 30x.

I alsready have a boss ds1 super od.

Any suggestions, I have tried the cube and really like what it offers, but am not sure if I still want the epi valve tone, I play mainly metal and rock, with a nice bit of clean tone rhythm playing mixed in
turkish_bathmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 04:17 PM   #2
SurfinWithSatch
UG's No.1 Satch Fan

For 250 you could get a used Peavey Classic 30 which is small in size. The cleans are great, can do rock wonderfully and metal if you add a decent OD infront of it, or distortion pedal if that's your thing.
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
SurfinWithSatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 05:15 PM   #3
turkish_bathmat

But 30 watts is perhaps a little loud for a valve, solid state no probs, but to get a nice tone 30 would be too loud, only 10 watts less than the dsl which is so loud
Vox VT30
turkish_bathmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 05:28 PM   #4
SurfinWithSatch
UG's No.1 Satch Fan

Ahh. Maybe a Laney VC15 could be the trick then http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/vc15-110/67333 218 new but used would probably be even cheaper. I reckon 15 watts would be plenty low enough, and also you'd get a proper EQ channel rather than just a tone knob like on the valve junior.
The amp itself would do clean and rock fine, also any metal territory you want to enter should be solved sufficiently by an OD.
Failing that then I'd probably say get a valve junior with an EQ pedal aswell so you can adjust your tone better.
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
SurfinWithSatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:44 AM   #5
zohandoe
Banned

Ohh, i hate moving because this is very difficult. I am telling about my house moving process. My dad moved our house last year and this is very hard work but my dad hire moving company Man and van Wembley which helps us and move or relocate our house's stuff quickly and safely.

Last edited by zohandoe : Yesterday at 08:46 AM.
zohandoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:33 AM   #6
Watterboy
UG's 'Yes, Man'

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkish_bathmat
But 30 watts is perhaps a little loud for a valve, solid state no probs, but to get a nice tone 30 would be too loud, only 10 watts less than the dsl which is so loud

The Peavey classic 30 is actually a pretty good recommendation (but are they available where you are?). Dont worry about the wattage; nobody turns their amp ALL the way up. Here are the only issues (and these are really my own opinions so you/others may feel different):
-i dont think metal is the classic 30s strong point. You would basically be relying on pedal sounds. So if metal is like over 60% of what you want, you may be dissatisfied
-hopefully you can turn your amp up at least a little bit. Im not saying crank it; but in my opinion, cleans sound generally bad if you have the volumn too low. Hi gain and medium gain actually do very well at lower volumes though.

If metal and rock are literally 80-90% of what you do, then I might recommend trying to save up a bit more money and you will be more satisfied with your purchase. A 1x12 cab and a mini tube head would work great for you IMO

P.s. My coworker has an 7 month old and he has the clAssic 30 and volume isnt a problem for him

Quote:
Originally Posted by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabestoner69

Last edited by Watterboy : Yesterday at 09:36 AM.
Watterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:18 AM   #7
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Pull two EL84's out, switch the impedance switch down one notch and you now have a 20W amp.
Randall RM100 & RM20
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:27 AM   #8
Will Lane
brb thinking of a title

I'd tell Arby to get in here and teach these chaps about master volume and low-wattage bedroom playing, but this thread is from 2008.
"Get up, turn up the mix level and wash your sins away!"
Will Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread: