Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-27-2014, 02:13 PM   #1
chrislanie

Peavey power amp too quiet?

Hey guys/gals
Recently got a second hand Peavey cs200x rack power amp for building a rack set-up from ebay. Preamp hasn't arrived yet but obviously wanted to check everything works ok so gave it a quick test.
Plugged guitar directly into the power amp input (where the preamp will plug in) and connected the power amp output directly to the cab (as it should be).
Now don't get me wrong, it seems to work fine (it produces an amplified clean guitar signal) but it just doesn't seem to be loud? I appreciate it will get louder with the preamp in the chain but considering its apparently 240w@16 ohms mono (which is where it's set up) i would have expected it to take my head off at full volume in a small practice room but it doesn't?
I've given all the inputs/outputs/impedance selector a good clean with contact cleaner but this made no difference?
I don't think I'm doing anything wrong but...?
Is it supposed to be this quiet at this stage?
Is this normal or is something wrong internally?
Thanks again for any advice!
chrislanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 03:16 PM   #2
Spambot_2
UG's redhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislanie
Plugged guitar directly into the power amp input (where the preamp will plug in) and connected the power amp output directly to the cab (as it should be).
Now don't get me wrong, it seems to work fine (it produces an amplified clean guitar signal) but it just doesn't seem to be loud?
If you're talking about them inputs on the right of the back of the amp I'm surprised it even works with guitar only - these are line inputs.

It's normal that it's so quiet.
Wait for a pre, plug the guitar into the pre, plug the pre into the amp and there you go.
Old 11-27-2014, 03:28 PM   #3
dspellman

Spammie's on the money -- you don't plug a guitar into a bare power amp.

Guitarists all do this -- they plug their little 1/4" phone plug into anything with a female 1/4 plug.
Whatever preamp you're going to use (Triaxis, Quad-X, Axe-FX, Kemper, Pod HD) will provide a line signal that's the correct level for the input of the power amp.

And by the way, remember NOT to use a guitar cable as a speaker cable from the power amp to your speakers. You'll melt (maybe) the guitar cable and FU your power amp. Real speaker cables only.
dspellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 03:32 PM   #4
Spambot_2
UG's redhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspellman
Spammie's on the money -- you don't plug a guitar into a bare power amp.

Guitarists all do this -- they plug their little 1/4" phone plug into anything with a female 1/4 plug.
Whatever preamp you're going to use (Triaxis, Quad-X, Axe-FX, Kemper, Pod HD) will provide a line signal that's the correct level for the input of the power amp.

And by the way, remember NOT to use a guitar cable as a speaker cable from the power amp to your speakers. You'll melt (maybe) the guitar cable and FU your power amp. Real speaker cables only.
You have such a way with words man
Old 11-27-2014, 05:02 PM   #5
chrislanie

Ok, thanks. I'll stop panicking now then!
Hopefully I'll plug in the preamp and I'll take the windows out (as I expected)!
And yes, I've got a proper speaker cable!
Cheers!
chrislanie is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: