Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-20-2015, 06:49 PM   #1
darktoneforash

Appropriate Cabs for Heads

Greetings everyone!

So what's the general consensus for a matching cab? Do you go for a cab of the same company or is there room for combining. For example: A mesa boogie head with and orange cab or engl head with marshall cab

Does a cab from the same company really bring out the best in the head? I'm quite sold out on the Engl Ironball and am searching for an appropriate 1x12 cab with V30 speaker. I know that in the end one's ear is the best judge.

But nevertheless. The Engl V112 definitely sounds good with the Ironball. Does anyone have any experience with the Mesa Boogie mini rectifier V30 1x12 cab? Or any other 1x12 cab for that matter. It has to be an 8 Ohm one, otherwise the Powersoak on the Ironball cannot be used

Would appreciate any kind of help
Thanks

Last edited by darktoneforash : 06-20-2015 at 06:51 PM.
darktoneforash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 07:08 PM   #2
nick.culliton
not a real lobster

As long as the impedances match and the cab can handle more wattage than the head puts out, you can't go wrong anywhere.

People really like Orange cabs because they're often loaded with nice speakers and are built like tanks. People really like Peavey cabs because they're often really cheap, but built like tanks. Marshall and Mesa Boogie are prestigious names in the industry and I think people can end up paying a bit for the name in those cases.

You can also have a custom cab built by companies like Avatar (good value) or Atlas (way overpriced) and have the cab look and be fitted with just about anything you'd like.

1979 Fender Bassman 100
Orange Micro Terror 20 (FOR SALE)
Peavey JSX prototype 2x12 cab w/V30s

Polytune 2 > Full-Drive 3 > OCD > Freeze > CH-1 > DD-7 > Hall of Fame

My Band
nick.culliton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 02:38 PM   #3
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

It depends.

As nick said, match the impedances and make sure the cab is rated for at least as much wattage as the amp, and it will work.

whether it sounds good is another matter.

you can definitely mix and match cabs and get good results. knowing which speakers will suit the amp in question, and the type(s) of tone you want, will help, though the cabinet itself affects the tone as well.

then muddying the waters further is the fact that mesa and marshall sometimes use slightly different versions of off-the-shelf speakers- for example, the mesa v30s are still made in england and have a slightly different spec and sound. the marshall ones are slightly different too i think. so if you know you love how your amp sounds with a mesa cab with v30s, buying another cab with v30s won't sound the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiercedBand
You don't go to a Slayer concert and see a combo.

\m/
Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 08:54 AM   #4
darktoneforash

Thanks Nick and Dave. I looked into Avatar cabs and they seem to be a steal. The shipping expense might pose a problem though, because I live in Europe
Old 06-22-2015, 09:15 AM   #5
dspellman

Quote:
Originally Posted by darktoneforash
Greetings everyone!

So what's the general consensus for a matching cab? Do you go for a cab of the same company or is there room for combining. For example: A mesa boogie head with and orange cab or engl head with marshall cabs

Fact is, most cabinets look pretty much the same when you take their clothes off. Open up the back of a row of expensive-to-cheap 4x12s, for example, and ignore what speakers are in them, and you'll have a hard time telling most of them apart.

What causes most of the price differences can be tied to the logo on the front of the cabinet.
dspellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 02:29 PM   #6
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Thanks Nick and Dave. I looked into Avatar cabs and they seem to be a steal. The shipping expense might pose a problem though, because I live in Europe

if you want v30s on a budget, it's hard to beat the harley benton g212 vintage- it's barely more than the price of two v30s alone.

Quote:

\m/
Old 06-22-2015, 02:48 PM   #7
darktoneforash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
if you want v30s on a budget, it's hard to beat the harley benton g212 vintage- it's barely more than the price of two v30s alone.

Yes I have tried them and they sound good, but I'm prepared to spend around 500$, and I would really like to use the "reserves" to get a solid 8 Ohm (to be able to use the Powersoak in the Engl Ironball) 1x12 V30 cab. Any suggestions?
Old 06-22-2015, 02:52 PM   #8
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

I don't think I've tried any 1x12 cabs with v30s, sorry

Harley benton does one but it's open-backed- that might not be the sound you want.

The other thing is, and I might be misremembering here so bear that in mind, I think I've possibly heard (by that I mean read online ) that v30s might not be the best speaker for a 1x12 cabinet. As well as finding a speaker you like the sound of you also need it to match the type of cabinet it's going in (1x12, 2x12, 4x12 etc., and also open- versus closed-backed, and the cab dimensions etc.). So I'd want to make sure that V30s sound good in a 1x12 first before spending a lot of money on a cab...

Quote:

\m/

Last edited by Dave_Mc : 06-22-2015 at 02:54 PM.
Old 06-22-2015, 03:01 PM   #9
Jonny Ryan Mac
The Last Great Scotsman

I rocked a V30 Orange 1x12 for a LONG WHILE - great cab - really got the job done nicely. I'd vouch fro them and say that you'd be pleased with them.
Old 06-22-2015, 05:09 PM   #10
metalmingee

If I were to drop $500 on a 1x12 then I'd probably do the Mesa/Boogie 1x12 Mini Rectifier Slant Cab. Looks bitchin, I assume you're going to put the head on top of it (make sure it fits) so the slant would get some sound to your ears, not your ankles and it's an 8 ohm Vintage 30. Mesa has 3 Rectifier series 1x12s for you to choose from.
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)

Amps:
Mesa Roadster 212 Combo
Peavey 5150 212 Combo with V30s
Peavey Vypyr 30
metalmingee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 07:31 PM   #11
dspellman

Quote:
Yes I have tried them and they sound good, but I'm prepared to spend around 500$, and I would really like to use the "reserves" to get a solid 8 Ohm (to be able to use the Powersoak in the Engl Ironball) 1x12 V30 cab. Any suggestions?

There are a few builders who produce the Mesa Thiele cabinet (slot ports) in bare wood. If it were me, I'd coat it with Acrytech's Duratex coating or one of the various pickup truck bed liner applications (LineX, Rhino) and drop in a V30 or (preferably) an Eminence Delta ProA in 8 ohm version. The whole thing would be well within your budget, and if you have an amp with enough power to push bottom end, the cabinet will definitely assist.

Plans are freely available (Mesa actually modified the Electrovoice TL 806 plans slightly to produce their version) and you can have one built by any competent carpenter.

Last edited by dspellman : 06-22-2015 at 07:32 PM.
Old 06-23-2015, 05:02 AM   #12
chilirainbow

I got the Avatars, and I love them, The burgundy has a Celestion 12m Greenback, and the black one has the Vintage 30. They each sound great on their own, but when used together for the same head, it's just magic.

chilirainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 10:15 AM   #13
dspellman

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilirainbow
They each sound great on their own, but when used together for the same head, it's just magic.

Can't argue with magic.
Old 06-23-2015, 04:46 PM   #14
nick.culliton
not a real lobster

Quote:

Your best bet might be to buy one unloaded and then put in your own speakers. You could probably find used V30's for the cost that Avatar puts them in. The unloaded cab would shave off about 15-20 pounds of postage.

1979 Fender Bassman 100
Orange Micro Terror 20 (FOR SALE)
Peavey JSX prototype 2x12 cab w/V30s

Polytune 2 > Full-Drive 3 > OCD > Freeze > CH-1 > DD-7 > Hall of Fame

My Band
nick.culliton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 03:27 PM   #15
darktoneforash

Thanks guys for all your help!!
Old 07-18-2015, 09:41 PM   #16
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Matched cabs don't mean it's the right cab. Look at the Laney GH100L; great amp with a terrible, terrible matching cab.
Randall RM100 & RM20
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: