Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-25-2008, 04:40 PM   #21
Bloodshed
UG's Delay Wh0re

I am going to post a response I just got from Bob at Eurotubes about the retube options for the Bugera and what they can give. He definitely knows his stuff, and took a lot of time to be helpful

From Me:

My friend Jared Greene has been ordering tubes from you for a while and I have seen that you have always been fast, friendly, and very responsive. I am wanting to retube my Bugera 6260 combo amp, but I'm still trying to figure out what kind of tubes to put in it. If you haven't played one yet, its set up very similarly to a Peavey 5150. However, there are a couple changes. This amp has switchable bias, to where it can run EL34 or 6L6 type tubes. It also has a bias adjustment right on chassis, kinda like a Peavey XXX. I'm trying to figure out how to polish up the sound and smooth it out from the sound offered by the factory Sovteks. Here is what I'm hoping to acheive....I want to try to tame the preamp gain a little so that it drops some of the fizz and gives me a little more clean headroom. Then I want to get smoother, warmer highs and extended low end range, but I still wanna keep the cleans, because this amp offers very nice cleans (much nicer than the 5150 that I compared it to. I also tend to like an aggressive vintage type sound if that helps. I usually use OD pedals and a Compressor to add a bit of boost to the front end. The main power amp tubes I had been looking at were 6L6s and KT77's . I'm not really sure what will work better. So, I was hoping you could help set me on the right path. I know you know your stuff, and a lot of guys have recommended your help.

From Bob:

Yes I am familiar with these, the Bugera 6260 amps can use either a quad of 6L6's or EL34's, and five 12AX7's. Here is a brief description of the options.

The standard EL34 is just like the old European EL34's. These are a bit soft with a shallower low end and a smooth breakup with a nice crunch, a typical high quality EL34.

The JJ E34L's provide a deeper low end and are more aggressive and punchy than an EL34. The E34L is tighter with slightly more headroom and power with a more aggressive crunch, a very articulate British tone.

The JJ KT77 is tighter than an EL34 and they have a very deep low end extension with a nice sizzle in the top end that is not brittle. The clean tone is very fat and full and the crunch has more of a chunk to it and it's very punchy and more aggressive than a standard EL34, a great tube for rhythm and solo work.

So for a comparison the JJ 6L6GC's have about the same low end as the KT77's but are a cleaner tube with a later breakup and they are not as mid range heavy. More of a traditional Fender type tone. The 6L6GC's are a good way to go if you scoop your mids and these are a great tube for heavy rhythm and melodic drop tuned Metal.

These are adjustable bias amps and need to be biased! The most accurate way of doing this is using a bias probe under one of the power tubes. There are short bias probes available on Ebay and from several other sources including our own Eurotubes bias probe for 25.00 so it's a VERY cheap tool, very accurate and very easy to use.

We have been asked to do a bias video on these amps but it is so simple that we refer them to watching the Generic bias video we did on an 800 Marshall. The procedure is the same but when using a short bias probe you don't even have to take the amp out of the chassis. You ca see the video here, http://www.eurotubes.com/euro-Generic-Bias.htm You don't need to measure the plate voltage you can simply bias EL34's, KT77's or 6L6's between 34 to 40mA. Most players like them right at 36 to 38mA. The test points on the amp appear to be measuring a total plate current draw in Millivolts but we have found that itís not very accurate.

For the front end we usually use the JJ ECC83S's which sound very fat and full. I would use a balanced ECC83S in the phase splitter hole which is the preamp tube that's closest to the power tubes ( the one on the left when looking at the back of the amp ). This will eliminate any dead spots due to phase cancellation.

Weíve seen these come in with a mix of sovtek and chinese preís which arte pretty harsh and fuzzy so just changing to the JJ ECC83Sís with give you a warmer tone with less fuzz and better definition.

Using the Gold Pin JJ tubes would also be an option if you want the best of the best. The main difference with them is that they are smoother in the top end and a little richer in the mids. They are however expensive, the ECC83S standard Gold Pin tubes run 19.50 and the balanced ECC83S Gold Pin tubes run 22.00

So for what youíre looking for I would probably use a gold pin ECC83S in V1 which will get a great clean tone with a nice sparkle. You could drop down to an ECC81 for more headroom but this will sound a little sterol compared to the ECC83S. I think you would like the ECC83Sís in the rest of the positions but if you want to experiment with lowering the gain in the drive channels then you can use an ECC832 in V2 or V3 which will drop the gain about 40%. These run 12.00 each.

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Bloodshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 05:03 PM   #22
TheEsupremacy
Registered Loser

Awesome thread! Lots of good info so far! I am getting the 6262 head. It will be arriving next week. I also purchased the Bugera 4X12 cab for a quick fix. I will buy a Vader or Earcandy cab when I can afford it a few months down the line. This stock set up will have to do for now. I am excited I must admit. I haven't owned a tube amp for a long time.
TheEsupremacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 10:33 PM   #23
Bloodshed
UG's Delay Wh0re

You might be able to pick up an Avatar cab for a reasonable price.....I have run mine through an Avatar Cab with V30s and it sounds awesome

╠═══════╬═══════╣

The MXR Lounge
Old 04-26-2008, 12:30 PM   #24
TheEsupremacy
Registered Loser

I think I have my heart set on a Vader cab. Pricey but SWEET!
Old 04-26-2008, 12:44 PM   #25
jxljxl
Bestival 2009 FTW.

Good thread idea. I really like what I've heard from Bugera thus far, looking forward to trying on myself.
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
jxljxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 12:48 PM   #26
FischmungaXTR
Arr Harr!

I'm planning on getting a 333XL head, and i was just wondering how much they weigh approximately?
(trying to work out shipping)
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab
My other amp can run Crysis
FischmungaXTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 01:00 PM   #27
TheEsupremacy
Registered Loser

47lbs US. 21.5 kg. Hope that helps!
Old 04-26-2008, 01:12 PM   #28
Bloodshed
UG's Delay Wh0re

Vader cabs are sick! Are you thinking 2x12?

╠═══════╬═══════╣

The MXR Lounge
Old 04-26-2008, 01:21 PM   #29
TheEsupremacy
Registered Loser

Oh no, I'm getting the Vader 4X12 cab. For bedroom practice too it that's not hilarious and somewhat stupid lol.
Old 04-26-2008, 01:33 PM   #30
Bloodshed
UG's Delay Wh0re

I used to play 4x12s all the time, until my travel for gigs got longer and longer. Now, I want something that fits well in a car with band mates gear. Plus loading a 4x12 in and out....well it'll make you strong, but if you start traveling you'll hate it.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

The MXR Lounge
Old 04-26-2008, 01:34 PM   #31
stigma15

Quote:
Originally Posted by henza_x

I find that the noisegate and the XL button doesn't do much, but the HIGH GAIN/LOW GAIN inputs are fantastic, really helps.

My first tube amp, my first head, overall happy with it, but i just haven't found the right settings to get it as ballsy as my mates 6505+.

It just goes to go how subjective tone is. The 333XL sounds like an amp twice its price, and I found the XL switch to really be useful for that ultra-saturated metal sound. Noise gate isn't the best, but it does remove a fair amount of hiss with no noticeable tonal degradation.

My "new" 5150 is better at some things, but the 333xl sounded better. but I would advise any buyer to really test it hard during the "return period". Mine worked great for almost a month and then died after I left it on Standby for an hour or so.
Old 04-26-2008, 01:45 PM   #32
Bloodshed
UG's Delay Wh0re

The "death" could've been a tube going, thus tripping the fuse. These amps need a good set of tubes to get the most from them.

The noise gate is like the built in noise gate on the XXX. It only removes a marginal amount of noise, and is pretty much just enough to keep the amp from going psycho.

Why was it necessary to leave your amp on stand by for an hour? Thats unnecessary tube burning

EDIT: Sorry, if i sound like a jerk, I'm not trying to com across as one. I'm really actually quite cuddly

╠═══════╬═══════╣

The MXR Lounge
Old 04-26-2008, 02:14 PM   #33
FischmungaXTR
Arr Harr!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEsupremacy
47lbs US. 21.5 kg. Hope that helps!

also, does anyone know how much an average 2x12 cab would weigh?
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab
Old 04-26-2008, 02:32 PM   #34
TheEsupremacy
Registered Loser

Right around 25-30 lbs US. 12.5kg
Old 04-26-2008, 02:41 PM   #35
Pinky19
UG Fanatic

Looking for a good tube amp for metal/metalcore/post hardcore. I liked the sound of the Peavey JSX i tried, but it was a lot of money =*(

Please, recommend me any bands or artists of any genre or medium. Paintings, poets, writers, books, paintings, songs, musicians.

Anything, anything at all. Please.
Pinky19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 02:57 PM   #36
FischmungaXTR
Arr Harr!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEsupremacy
Right around 25-30 lbs US. 12.5kg

Looks like i'll have to order them seperately then.

I suppose I could build the cab, might save a bit of cash and ill be able to use good speakers.

Do vintage 30's go well with the 333xl for metal?
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab
Old 04-26-2008, 03:04 PM   #37
stigma15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodshed
The "death" could've been a tube going, thus tripping the fuse. These amps need a good set of tubes to get the most from them.

The noise gate is like the built in noise gate on the XXX. It only removes a marginal amount of noise, and is pretty much just enough to keep the amp from going psycho.

Why was it necessary to leave your amp on stand by for an hour? Thats unnecessary tube burning

EDIT: Sorry, if i sound like a jerk, I'm not trying to com across as one. I'm really actually quite cuddly

Well, I changed the fuse and tubes still no glowy. It wasn't 'necessary" to leave it on Standby, but it really shouldn't hurt the amp. And the tubes had maybe 10 hours on them max. Believe me, it wasn't my fault.

I hope everyone else's works forever and I would recommend the amp. I am just saying someone wouldn't want it to go down out of the 30-day return period and have to wait to have it serviced.
Old 04-26-2008, 03:48 PM   #38
TheEsupremacy
Registered Loser

I must admit, I sometimes worry about the long term life of my upcoming Bugera 6262 but my ultimate goal is to get a REAL tube amp in a year or so, a mesa, or marshall. I had a JCM 900 19 years ago I sure with I still had.
Old 04-26-2008, 03:54 PM   #39
Pinky19
UG Fanatic

Looking for a good tube amp for metal/metalcore/post hardcore. Suggestions?

Please, recommend me any bands or artists of any genre or medium. Paintings, poets, writers, books, paintings, songs, musicians.

Anything, anything at all. Please.
Pinky19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 04:22 PM   #40
Bloodshed
UG's Delay Wh0re

Bugera 6260...you can't go wrong my friend. Like I said in your other thread, the 6260 is great for hardcore/post hardcore etc. But I also use it for other stuff as well

╠═══════╬═══════╣

The MXR Lounge

Rate This Thread: