Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > 80s Rock, Shred & Progressive
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-20-2008, 11:18 PM   #1
Someone18

Yngwie Malmsteen

I couldn't find a thread on him, so if there already is one, please direct me to it and embarrass me blatantly. If not, I guess this could be his thread.

Moving onto other business, what's your favorite instrumental by him? I find Blitzkrieg to be underrated, and I love Far Beyond The Sun.
Someone18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 11:30 PM   #2
Sirwinston89

I'd bet theres a thread on him, he's kick-started the 80's shred phenomenon. He's a alright player, but a really cocky bastard. I think Blitzkrieg is alright, I like Evil Eye more though. His covers are pretty sweet too.

PSN: Effigyoferebus (feel free to add it)
Sirwinston89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 12:15 AM   #3
Someone18

I really don't buy the whole "He's SOOOO cocky" argument. I've read interviews with him, and his attitude is more of a "confidant" than "cocky".
Old 05-21-2008, 01:12 AM   #4
Luthfx
End of Line.

Opinion:

I think he's a douche, and that he needs to just stop playing so that he can stop gathering tone-deaf followers/groupies.

Although I will say this; Black Star is a kick ****ing ass of a song, it melts my eardrums.
Old 05-21-2008, 05:31 AM   #5
human panda
knows his enemies.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Someone18
I couldn't find a thread on him, so if there already is one, please direct me to it and embarrass me blatantly. If not, I guess this could be his thread.

Moving onto other business, what's your favorite instrumental by him? I find Blitzkrieg to be underrated, and I love Far Beyond The Sun.

Beethovens 5th Symphony and Far Beyond The Sun are probably my favourite, also, I`ve checked through pages and haven`t found any thread on him ( there should`ve been one by now ).It may have been deleted for being too long like the Myspace Pictures Thread, Original You Laugh You Lose Thread, Ban The User Above You Thread ect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumBucker666
I get carrot skinned regularly by a electrified carrot skinning device

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrEgUms1991
I have a small penis if that counts?

^ some pretty awesome sh!t ( click )

Europeans Unite!
human panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 09:35 AM   #6
Someone18

In that case, I think I started an official Yngwie thread.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:40 AM   #7
7even
Hiromi Uehara fanboy

Trilogy Suite and Evil Eye are probably my favourite instrumentals. "Blue" is very good too. Hiroshima mon Armour are probably my all time favourite Yngwie song along with Dreaming(tell me).

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere
- John Coltrane
7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 11:41 PM   #8
Someone18

Bump.
Old 05-29-2008, 05:01 AM   #9
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Someone18
Bump.

Bad TS.

I like him though, he gets some really unfair bad press.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:24 AM   #10
Erotomaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luthfx
Opinion:

I will say this; Black Star is a kick ****ing ass of a song, it melts my eardrums.

+1, this song is awesome
Erotomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 07:20 PM   #11
ross1234
UG Newbie

all he does is sit around eating cheesecakes alll day
Old 05-29-2008, 07:22 PM   #12
GoDrex
You Are What You Is

I think all you need of Yngwie is on the first album. Everything after that is redundant. Great album too if you remove the tracks with vocals. Even those are ok but I can't listen to them.
GoDrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 11:32 PM   #13
Someone18

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoDrex
I think all you need of Yngwie is on the first album. Everything after that is redundant. Great album too if you remove the tracks with vocals. Even those are ok but I can't listen to them.

Yeah, the singer on Rising Force sucked.

Hard.

I did like Joe Turner, though. He was pretty boss.
Old 05-30-2008, 02:17 AM   #14
BlueAltitudes
The Virtuoso's Brother.

I love Yngwie, I just hate it when he goes nuts too much, it gets really repetitive sometimes and it gets a bit boring. Hence, the reason for his enemies.

You could just show her that you have a PS3 and BANG.

Heterosexual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal4all
A chainsaw can take a girl off her feet pretty nicely. Then there are less limbs to worry about while you rape her.
BlueAltitudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 09:16 AM   #15
Tapping_Ninja
Mad Tapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Bad TS.

I like him though, he gets some really unfair bad press.

Becuase his fan boys are the worest people ever... They think he's the greatest damn player ever when he hasn't wrote an orignal song in years... He does the same damn stuff over. I mean I think he's a good technical player, but he lacks emotion in his solos.

I mean he's good, but nowhere near the best. He is cocky if ever see a video of him play live he acts like he's the best damn one there. Sadly he's extremely washed up looking now. Just watch G3 live in Denvor, so washed up..
Old 05-31-2008, 04:19 AM   #16
blacklightsm2

everyone has an opinion but i think yngwie is definately one of the best AND most emotive players in the genre.

not only did he popularize the movement, but he added his own style and persona to it. i'm more of a fan of his earlier work though. he attracts great singers for the songs with vocals, although the lyrics are sometimes pretty cheesy.

apart from that i enjoy the guitar and his tone, classic fender into cranked marshall sound.
blacklightsm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 03:26 PM   #17
Gravenimage
Machiavelli's Protegé

I can't say for sure what he's like in person, but based on the news that he makes ("Unleash the ****ing fury!" and other drunken favorites) and his self-centered attitude on stage ("One band, one sound"), I think he's a right prick. I've seen him in interviews, and he seems to have an aura that really pushes me away.

Now, musically, I find him to be exceedingly monotonous; I know it's been said before, but it needs saying. I'll admit that he's ONE of the people (later ones, too) to pioneer neoclassical metal (think on Uli Jon Roth and Ritchie Blackmore.. or Hell, even Van Halen in some instances), but that doesn't mean that he did it best. Hypothetically speaking, if he WAS indeed responsible for the movement, he only brought forth an idea and a spark of inspiration through which a great many shredders poured through.

I don't like to senselessly bash anyone, so I'm trying my damnedest to be fair; as such, I'll admit that I enjoyed Black Star and Dark Ages.

Proponents aren't always the cream of the crop.
Old 06-01-2008, 01:50 PM   #18
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravenimage
I can't say for sure what he's like in person, but based on the news that he makes ("Unleash the ****ing fury!" and other drunken favorites) and his self-centered attitude on stage ("One band, one sound"), I think he's a right prick. I've seen him in interviews, and he seems to have an aura that really pushes me away.

I don't know about that; I've seen interviews with him where he makes complete sense to me, in one he said he writes all the music not out of arrogance or some sense of self-importance but because the band is named after him so he should write all the music, he even said (and this is the part I really agree with a lot) that if you name a band after yourself and don't write everything then you're more arrogant than he is.

Edit: I would however agree that the vast ajority of his fans are not the sharpest tools in the shed.

Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr : 06-01-2008 at 01:54 PM.
Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 04:06 PM   #19
BoogieManMKD
Bucketbot in disguise

What's wrong with the guy, so what if he is arrogant or rude or whatever he is a great technical musician, I absolutely love his vibrato, I dont really like his strat shtik, but what the heck. The only thing I dont like about him is that sometimes he uses exactly the same licks in different songs, but you cant say that his music is bad.
Roland PA-250
Old custom made 1x12" cab x2

No. 1 Digitech RP-350 recommender

Linux users UNITE ! ! !

I WANT THIS ! ! !
BoogieManMKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 04:10 PM   #20
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogieManMKD
What's wrong with the guy, so what if he is arrogant or rude or whatever he is a great technical musician, I absolutely love his vibrato, I dont really like his strat shtik, but what the heck. The only thing I dont like about him is that sometimes he uses exactly the same licks in different songs, but you cant say that his music is bad.

Strat shtick? I dunno what you mean by that but I, for one, love his tone.

Rate This Thread: