Password
Search:

Old 05-06-2015, 05:18 PM   #1
sayed.alghilan

soloing

hello guys
how are you doing ?
here is the thing ,
i know the scales , the notes on the entire guitar just by looking at it , the chords
i can play fingerstyle , i know how keys work and stuff

but the thing is , i cant get to move forward on soloing
i don't do , every solo i wrote sound good to my friends , but so boring for me
even though i knew that the problem was that i was only looking for the key
then play randomly the notes that i find in the key scale ,

so i worked on notes , and know i dont use much scales ,
its right that i felt a little motivated cause i was able to use only my ears
i mean playing without maths ,

but then the same thing happened , i just want to move forward but i didnt know how

so i started to learn few solos so that i understand more ,

and then , i found that i hated learning songs like maths ( tabs and stuff )

so i tried to feel the music and get the melody almost right ,
it worked for me sometimes ,
but when i do such a thing ( using my creativity and ears )
' this is the big deal "
i just use the first or the second string
why ? cause i dont know when to use others ,
i know it should have different tone
but i dont know how to solve that problem and start playing on the whole guitar

even though that if i write a solo or learn one , i can play it in a defferent spot in a minute
just by converting it ,
i just dont understand how do octaves work
sorry for story of my life ,
i'm just bored , and i want an advice from anyone that cares for music
thanks
sayed.alghilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 05:43 PM   #2
jerrykramskoy

\when you say you understand scales, do you mean you know their patterns on the guitar, or do you mean you know how to use the scale pitches to bring out the sound in the scale? Big difference. Randomness won't bring out the scale sound.

Think you need to know about music structure, and phrasing.

Octaves are very easy ... here is the octave pattern (assuming standard tuning of E A D G B E)... the whole thing just slides up or down the neck.

Learn this, and that'll show you every place on the neck that a particular note can be found in the same or different octaves. This example is for F. Slide left (towards nut) one fret for E.

cheers, Jerry
Old 05-06-2015, 05:58 PM   #3
sayed.alghilan

thanks jerry , the thing is , i know where the octaves are ,

i just have the probleme of playing in one string ,

although most musicians always plays the same notes in defferent places , to get cooler sound

when i try to do that , it's sound the same to me ,

and yes i know the scales and stuff i just dont know how to use it
Old 05-06-2015, 07:03 PM   #4
Diego Carnero

Intead of playing a scale up n down, as you say you know which note you play, try to do some slides and play the note that would be in the following string, butin de same string where you are initialy some frets away. This could bring some dynamic by moving from one octave to another. Hope you understand what I mean :/

And what you say that your soloing seems boring to you... That normal. You are the only person who listens to you every single time. If you think you sound repetitive, try something crazy you've never done. To me feels really well when I come up with something cool to listen
Diego Carnero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 07:07 PM   #5
PiercedBand

Incorporate hammer-ons and pull-offs, bends, vibrato, and a whole bunch of other shit. THAT gives it feeling. Don't just play the scales, you won't have any diversity in your solos. Also try to put some tapping in some passages. I can't really necessarily help though because I do not know what genre of music you're playing. Just look into different styles, never limit yourself to just one
PiercedBand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 07:30 PM   #6
jerrykramskoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayed.alghilan
thanks jerry , the thing is , i know where the octaves are ,

i just have the probleme of playing in one string ,

although most musicians always plays the same notes in defferent places , to get cooler sound

when i try to do that , it's sound the same to me ,

and yes i know the scales and stuff i just dont know how to use it

What style of music do you (wamt to) play, Sayed?
Old 05-06-2015, 07:58 PM   #7
sayed.alghilan

guys i always use (Incorporate hammer-ons and pull-offs, bends, vibrato, and a whole bunch of other shit)

it's not a technical problem x)

for me i play Lynyrd Skynyrd style , i mean i'm trying too ,

i've read somewhere that learning jazz will help with understanding music , and improvisation .phrasing

is it right ?
Old 05-07-2015, 10:23 AM   #8
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

To me it sounds like your ears may really not be that great. Why? Because you said you can't achieve the sounds you want to achieve. Maybe you don't actually know what you want to achieve? Just a thought.

When to use other strings? Well, you want to use them to make fast parts easier, so that your fretting hand doesn't need to move that much.

Playing on other strings doesn't make you sound any different. The E note on the high E string will sound the same as the E note on the G string. They are the same notes. Playing in a different position doesn't give you new sounds. The different positions just make playing easier - you don't need to move your hand all the time.

Also, when you are learning other people's solos, try to play them exactly like you hear them, not "close enough". Slow them down if they are hard to figure out.

There's nothing wrong with changing the solos a bit (or playing them completely differently), but you shouldn't do that just because you can't play them the way they were originally played. You can learn a lot of stuff from playing the solos like they were originally played. Different guitarists have a bit different licks and different phrasing. By learning the solos "close enough", you may not pay that close attention to the phrasing or individual notes, but rather use stuff that you are used to.

Start with slow tempo. If you are only using the high E and B strings, try to find the same notes on other strings. It's really that simple.

Yeah, learning solos note for note can give you new ideas, because that way you can't rely on stuff that you already know. You are kind of forced to learn the guitarist's style when you learn solos note for note. Learn everything by ear. Try to play the same licks on different strings if you feel like you are stuck on the high E and B strings (as I said, the same notes can be found on many strings).

Learn to think in pitch. You say you play by ear, but does "playing by ear" mean that you let your fingers play stuff and you listen to how it sounds like, or that you hear stuff in your head first and after that you play it? Don't let your fingers dictate what to play, let your ears do that. Think in sound. Learning to sing may help.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Yamaha FG720S-12
Tokai TB48
Laney VC30
Hartke HyDrive 210c

Last edited by MaggaraMarine : 05-07-2015 at 10:25 AM.
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 10:40 AM   #9
Cajundaddy

Hit YouTube and learn some solos by artists that interest you. This will develop patterns that open up your musical vocabulary.
Old 05-13-2015, 10:47 PM   #10
fuzzywuzzy333
Banned

Some new tones might help http://virl.io/DttGPpOP
fuzzywuzzy333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 11:56 PM   #11
addseo1115
Banned

I have enjoyed with your information.
Thanks for sharing.
Glad to be here.
addseo1115 is offline   Reply With Quote