Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-17-2016, 09:26 PM   #1
theogonia777
Miss Kristen

Kristen on Country: Procrastinating Leads to Bridges Apparently

Since I have been too busy to do anything else productive with this series, here is a little noodly improve thingy that might be of interest. There is a lot to be learned just from a single 8 measure (plus pickup measure) lead section.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s090B9FBxaEd

So lemme splain it. It's a IV-I-II7-V (or V/V7 for the anal nerds) progression common in bridges in the key of G, so C-G-A7-D.

I start off with a little pickup that would be at the end of the previous measure. It's a chromatic descent going from Em to Dm using the standard open D minor chord voicing. I hybrid pick each note individually, sometimes offsetting the low flat picked note, but you can do it however.

So then we go to C. This illustrates how country does that jazz thing where they choose scales based on the chord, but it's a bit different since you just pick that chord and use that scale and go with whatever fits for the color you want. C chord so C scale based lick. With country, unless you are doing really sweet sounding, strictly diatonic Nashville ballady stuff, there is a lot of flexibility. You can use pretty much any note relative to your root (C in this case) except for usually not the b2 and b6. Otherwise a little bit of everything is good.

I start by sliding from a Bb to a C on the third string (you can also bend it) and then the 5th fret E note on the B string. It's nice to let those two notes ring. For extra fun, especially if you bend into the C, try playing the 4th fret on the 2ND string and doing a quarter bend and combine it with the open E string. Very dirty neutral 3rd + 3rd dissonance that is characteristic of country and bluegrass.

From there it's a little C7ish lick using Eb-D-C-Bb-A-G-Eb-E or something kind of like that. Figure it out by ear if you want to get it exactly, but the exact notes aren't so important. I then go into a vaguely similar G lick with the same kind of accidentals.

Now we switch to our secondary dominant A7 chord. I start with a 2-3-4 walk up on the low E string and then play an open position A chord, with hybrid picked double stops. Notice how by removing the finger on the G string (finger each fret individually for it to work) creates an A7. From there I do a little Am pentatonic thing. A common little thing to spice up your minor pentatonic licks in country is to add a 6 and b5 into the mix.

From there I end with hybrid picking lick using vertical 6ths. The triplets are a bit hard to hear since there was no compressor or overdrive (plugged straight into the Nashville 112), but they're there. This type of hybrid picking 6ths lick is super common in country. The E string (or the B string since the same licks can work on B and D instead of E and G) has the scale notes while the G string has the two the 3rd relative to that note in the scale as well as the two chromatic notes preceding it, which would be either the b2 and 2nd or 2nd and b3rd respectively for minor and major chords). The little chromatic descent ends with a C and A, which fit perfectly with a D7.

Code:
E-----------10--------8--7-6-5-- B------------------------------- G---9h10h11-----7h8h9----7-6-5--

You can also add another triplet and add a little G resolution thing at the end. The hammer-on from the b3 is kind of a grace note so let that high G note ring with it.

Code:
E-----------10--------8--------7--6-5-3---- B------------------------------------------ G---9h10h11-----7h8h9----5h6h7----6-5-3h4--

Comma splices killed Steve McNair. When you post a comma splice, you are supporting murder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NirvanaLuvr16
omg its better than i imagined... so dark and cozy and warm...

Now you have no excuse...

Last edited by theogonia777 : 04-17-2016 at 09:30 PM.
theogonia777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 08:31 AM   #2
theogonia777
Miss Kristen

Well damn.

Comma splices killed Steve McNair. When you post a comma splice, you are supporting murder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NirvanaLuvr16
omg its better than i imagined... so dark and cozy and warm...

Now you have no excuse...
theogonia777 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: