Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-20-2014, 10:09 PM   #1
mattousley

Where do you think my guitar playing will be after 2 years of playing?

Where do you think my guitar playing will be after 2 years of playing? I have been playing for a year and 3 months now i practiced and do practice now for a hour to hour- and a half every day every of every week. I play decent right now i can play many songs but tend to make a couple of mistakes here and there. I plan on moving to LA next year to start a band because here in eastern ky there is NO music scene at all and i love rock music. I know that everyone learns at their own rate but just give me an estimate to where you think i will be with my guitar playing like july of next year because im going to LA to play music but do you think if i keep it up i will be able to play gigs after 2 years of good practice?
mattousley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 10:37 PM   #2
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

Mate if you can play some songs you're already ready to join a band.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:42 PM   #3
chrismendiola

It's impossible to tell.
chrismendiola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 10:49 PM   #4
mattousley

Thanks guys i know i really wont go until i get to that point of time but i was just asking of an estimate it could be where you were at that time or from your experience if your a teacher thanks a lot tho!
mattousley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 11:48 PM   #5
wolflen

im going to LA to play music but do you think if i keep it up i will be able to play gigs after 2 years of good practice?

coming to LA eh..to breath the air of ashes..you will meet many folks doing music out here for many different reasons..fame & fortune (small towns in Wyoming) drive many to be the next superstar..but there is an entire sub-culture in the music business that has little to do with music..be as good a musician as you can be and have a series of short range goals that you can achieve-then string them together to get to the next step in your journey...try playing with as many people as you can..players that are much better than you are..play with them..this will speep up your learning curve..

may the angels find you well

wolf
wolflen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:57 AM   #6
reverb66

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattousley
Where do you think my guitar playing will be after 2 years of playing? I have been playing for a year and 3 months now i practiced and do practice now for a hour to hour- and a half every day every of every week. I play decent right now i can play many songs but tend to make a couple of mistakes here and there. I plan on moving to LA next year to start a band because here in eastern ky there is NO music scene at all and i love rock music. I know that everyone learns at their own rate but just give me an estimate to where you think i will be with my guitar playing like july of next year because im going to LA to play music but do you think if i keep it up i will be able to play gigs after 2 years of good practice?

That's a pretty decent practice schedule so if you're mildly naturally talented you should be fine to gig in a rock band. That being said, if you're serious about playing professionally, you should bump up your practice time to 2 - 4 hours per day while you still can.
reverb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:39 AM   #7
20Tigers

^this. Even more if you can. All day everyday.

Also wolfen was pretty spot on about finding people to play with. It helps you grow as a musician. Regardless of how good you are on your own when you get to LA no one will want you in their band if you don't play well with others.

Rate This Thread: