Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-11-2012, 04:23 AM   #2241
Fouks

I have played for around 4-5 years now and im looking for some intermediate solos in the style of Children of Bodom. Since im also learning to sweep some easy sweep solos would be appreciated. I play mostly metal (CoB, ABR, AILD, Gojira) so the tuning is prefered in Drop C or D standard.
Fouks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:25 PM   #2242
randomguy2000
<3's ToppScore

i play in an alternative/indie band, consisting on a rhythm guitarist and singer, lead guitarist, drummer and bassist. We are all fairly decent. what do you recommend?

What you really need is a new amp.

(Anything I missed?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
I have been hearing about MG amps lately. I have heard good about them, but only a few times have they been talked about here.

randomguy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:15 PM   #2243
MetalCoR

Im looking for some stuff to play. I've been self taught for like 2 years and I play pretty much anything rock or metal, but im not that great. I can play decent, and have been into some stuff like bullet for my valentine lately. what are some good songs that arent crazy but still a bit challenging? Im also trying to learn sweeping so songs with basic sweeps would be nice
And to randomguy2000, ive always found muse good alternative, but its got some challenging vocals, and they only have one guitar. Plug in baby is a fun one to play though. and you could probably make a modified rhythm guitar to it (I think one of the tabs on here has one)

Last edited by MetalCoR : 12-15-2012 at 11:21 PM.
MetalCoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:21 PM   #2244
satanatheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomguy2000
i play in an alternative/indie band, consisting on a rhythm guitarist and singer, lead guitarist, drummer and bassist. We are all fairly decent. what do you recommend?

Trucker's Atlas by Modest Mouse

Anything off of the album Diary by Sunny Day Real Estate
satanatheist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:31 PM   #2245
BoobsVanderbilt

* Have been playing for 3 months , am able to play Smells Like Teen Spirt, Let It Be, Even Flow (not the solo), Kashmir Riff 1 and Riff 2, Polly, Letters To God (Box Car Racer), Stairway To Heaven Solo (Not nearly as close to Page's speed tho) , Damnit (blink 182), probably missing some.

*Criteria - I prefer more rock, not heavy metal.. I prefer songs I have played or listened to.. such as songs from Guitar Hero ( those type of rock songs ), Jimi Hendrix, Blink 182 type, Angels and Airwaves, Foo Fighters, Led Zeppelin, Nirvana. Not exactly sure what modal progression means

*Genres - No acoustic songs please. I play mainly on my 76 Ibanez LP Custom electric

Thank you very much for all the suggestions All the suggestions the better, the more there is, the more the chance there will be of a bunch I like and to keep me busy learning them all.

[B][U]P.S.- Songs Taught By Marty Schwartz On YouTube are VERY MUCH Preferred!!

Last edited by BoobsVanderbilt : 01-13-2013 at 08:32 PM.
BoobsVanderbilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:32 PM   #2246
nico_9550
Registred lurker

I need a song with a key change, I've been playin for three years, preferably a rock, or easy jazz, thank you
nico_9550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:30 AM   #2247
Richard5554
Banned

Yeah the sweeps are a little hard but with practice you'll get them.[img]**************************/15.jpg[/img]

Last edited by Richard5554 : 01-14-2013 at 09:33 AM.
Richard5554 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:03 PM   #2248
skilly1

Need some song suggestions, just to give me some ideas for jam session cover, I know loads but cannot seem to think of any at the mo, with like a cool rhythm guitar and a cool solo with adds throughout the songs if poss

Im thinking on the lines of sultans of swing
skilly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:31 PM   #2249
bigblockelectra

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilly1
Need some song suggestions, just to give me some ideas for jam session cover, I know loads but cannot seem to think of any at the mo, with like a cool rhythm guitar and a cool solo with adds throughout the songs if poss

Im thinking on the lines of sultans of swing

Thin Lizzy, Judas Priest
bigblockelectra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:51 PM   #2250
yayo_gakk

I need a song with some groovy hard riffs in background like Surfing with the alien and some melodic leads like Cliffs of Dover !
yayo_gakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:25 AM   #2251
syklone

Guys I'm looking for something in Standard E or Drop D tuning that would help with my alternate picking and my legato playing. Songs I have in mind are Constant Motion by Dream Theater, Holy Wars by Megadeth and Silent Night Bodom Night by Children of Bodom. Any suggestions ?
syklone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:30 AM   #2252
Livingtime

@Syklone Curse of the Castle Dragon or Technical Difficulties by Paul Gilbert, and if you really want a challenge Under The Influence by Rusty Cooley.

Ok, I have my graduation exam coming up and I need to pick one more song to play, so far I have Every Time and The Cataclysm by Takayoshi Ohmura. What i'm looking for is a musically and technically impressive song. Nothing with a whammy or footswitch/pedal effects.
I was thinking Freak Show Excess by Steve Vai but it's 7 minutes long which is too long. 6 minutes max.

In E standard or Eb. Any suggestions?

Last edited by Livingtime : 02-05-2013 at 09:02 AM.
Livingtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:40 PM   #2253
Charvel1995
Ronda Rousey Fanboy

Hi guys, this seems like the appropriate place to ask, but if it isn't point me in the right direction.

For my final project in Music I'm doing a recording project. I need to figure out a song to play, sooner rather than later.

I'll be having outside help in the form of my friends playing drums, bass, and covering vocals. I'll be covering all guitar stuff. The vocalist is female, so I'm trying to find something to match her vocal style, if I can find a video of her singing I will.

Skill level: High beginner - low Intermediate? Nothing too difficult, but a challenge would be nice.
Genre: Rock, preferably. Something that we can find tabs for and that isn't super obscure
Simple time signature would be ideal, nothing like 12/8 and stuff.
Tuning: Standard or Eb
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, vox, possibly keys.

For this project we have total freedom arrangement wise. So we can do whatever we please with the song. I just need a starting point.

Thanks!

Epiphone MKH Les Paul Custom 7 - Ronda
Ibanez RG8 "Scarlet" - AKA The Rambanez
Fender Strat "Danielle"/"Dani"
Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us... [/SIZE]

Purchase list: Jim Root Tele, Jim Root Jazzmaster, MTM20
Charvel1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:36 PM   #2254
Dean Washburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charvel1995
Hi guys, this seems like the appropriate place to ask, but if it isn't point me in the right direction.

For my final project in Music I'm doing a recording project. I need to figure out a song to play, sooner rather than later.

I'll be having outside help in the form of my friends playing drums, bass, and covering vocals. I'll be covering all guitar stuff. The vocalist is female, so I'm trying to find something to match her vocal style, if I can find a video of her singing I will.

Skill level: High beginner - low Intermediate? Nothing too difficult, but a challenge would be nice.
Genre: Rock, preferably. Something that we can find tabs for and that isn't super obscure

For this project we have total freedom arrangement wise. So we can do whatever we please with the song. I just need a starting point.

Thanks!

Just for the fact you said female singer and looking for a rock genre, check out this:

If I can't post links for some lame forum rule based reason, It's Republica - Ready To Go.

Easy to learn, killer sound. Lemmie know your thoughts
Dean Washburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:02 PM   #2255
skilly1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charvel1995

Thanks!

How about Heart-Magic Man

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=nDwK...wKuYWVMvo&gl=GB
skilly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:54 PM   #2256
Charvel1995
Ronda Rousey Fanboy

I had considered doing Magic Man, or Barracuda, but I don't have access to a lot of effects, and I really dislike the PT Plugins.

Great suggestion though. I might actually do that one for my portfolio!

Republica won't load for me :/

Me and the singer have agreed on doing Cherry Bomb by the Runaways, once the bassist says yes we're good to go.

Any other songs you wanna recommend would be great tho!

Epiphone MKH Les Paul Custom 7 - Ronda
Ibanez RG8 "Scarlet" - AKA The Rambanez
Fender Strat "Danielle"/"Dani"
Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us... [/SIZE]

Purchase list: Jim Root Tele, Jim Root Jazzmaster, MTM20
Charvel1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:48 AM   #2257
atira

Hi,

I've just got my Cort resonator guitar, tuned in open C (sounds awesome).
Can anyone recommend me some songs, preferably with gp6/other tabs?

@Dean: man, that girl from Republica, was she hot...
atira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:41 PM   #2258
sysD

can someone suggest a song (preferably from the 90s, pop/punk ... eg greenday/blink) that's easy that incorperates harmonics (NOT PINCH)?

i'm not really into classic rock anymore, or shreddy guitar music (eg vai ywinge)

even something indie-ish or alternative would also work

Last edited by sysD : 02-18-2013 at 04:43 PM.
sysD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:54 AM   #2259
food1010
Bassist

Any suggestions for easy chord-melody jazz standards? I worked through Autumn Leaves and All the Things You Are.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:12 PM   #2260
Franzibald

I am looking to improve my abilities by singing and playing and I need some songs to practice it. I am not looking for very simple chord based songs, but for more riff based songs with at least some rhythmic differences between the line you play and sing.

There should be clear guitar line and not too difficult vocals, although I can always create an easier rendition for myself. Songs should have a good amount of singing so I can do some good uninterrupted practice. Genre doesn't really matter, nothing too obscure though. Learning to sing and play some classics is always good.

I hope you somewhat get what I mean, there is tons of songs that would be good, but I just can't seem to think of any.
Franzibald is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: