Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-26-2008, 01:52 PM   #21
FireMadeFlesh
Really mediocre guitarist

Ok so, I listen to and play mostly rock and metal, but I've decided I want to try something different and play a classical song. So now I need recommendations.

I'd like something that has a fairly "heavy" sound to it, if possible. I've been playing for almost a year now, so I guess I'm decent at guitar, but there are a looooot of things I don't know yet. The hardest thing I can play is the intro to "Welcome Home" by Coheed & Cambria. Also, whatever you recomend, it would be nice if it's something that UG has in Power Tabs.
FireMadeFlesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 02:14 PM   #22
metal4all
Always tripping

FireMadeFlesh, do you mean classical guitar or classical like the period/type of music?

-Max Planck
☮∞☯♥
metal4all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 02:20 PM   #23
FireMadeFlesh
Really mediocre guitarist

I mean classical music. Like Beethoven/Bach/Mozart and the like. It doesn't necessarily have to be written for guitar as long as it sounds good on guitar. I play an electric.
FireMadeFlesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 02:54 PM   #24
metal4all
Always tripping

Bach's "Little Fugue in G Minor" kicks ass but i'm not sure if you could play it after a year. It'd be a little difficult.

You wouldn't be able to play them at full speed but: Antonio Vivaldi's "Winter, 1st movement", Mozart's "rondo alla turca", Paganini's "Caprice 5".

Easy classical music seems like an oxymoron so i don't think you'll be able to find something you could really play like it it's supposed to sound. I don't mean that to be disheartening but you've only been playing a year. I've almost been playing 4 years and i barely touch classical. Maybe someone else could help you out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVelvetGlove
i need serious help. i've been playing like 6 months and i can play stuff like californication ya kno basic stuff. but im looking for a song that is challenging but not impossible. im into Guns N Roses, Jimi Hendrix, RHCP, classic rock modern rock, all that. and i dont have many effects so keep it simple please. thanks

Purple Haze - Jimi Hendrix

-Max Planck
☮∞☯♥
Old 05-26-2008, 04:59 PM   #25
tattie69
UG's House Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonofthenight
EDIT: I'm still waiting for someone to suggest a song in phrygian for me ...

Right, i have no idea about modes and that, im not very good on guitar theory, scales and the like.

so...i typed "a song in phrygian" on google and wikipedia came up with heavy metal and this is what it said:

Quote:
Phrygian harmony is used in songs such as Mercyful Fate's "Gypsy" (main riff I-♭II-I-VI-V), Megadeth's "Symphony of Destruction" (main riff built on the ♭II-I relation), and Sodom's "Remember the Fallen" (Introduction + main riff—the riff closing implies a Phrygian cadence: I-♭II-III).

oh, ive just realised, thats talking about harmonies, maybe not what your looking for, sorry.

But anyway, really nice idea for a thread, well done.

EDIT:

Quote:
Some examples of Phygian mode's usage in today's modern music include the Jefferson Airplane song "White Rabbit", the Bjork song "Hunter", the theme song of Unsolved Mysteries, and the Jimmy Somerville song "So Cold The Night".

Phygian mode is also widely used by Heavy Metal musicians because of its dark feeling. Some examples include the Metallica song "Wherever I May Roam", the Megadeth song "Symphony of Destruction" and the Iron Maiden song "Remember Tomorrow"

...god i love wikipedia
tattie69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 05:01 PM   #26
bangoodcharlote
Fractal

Demon, are you looking for a modal Phrygian song or a heavy metal song?

"Melodic Control" by Marty Friedman: A video on soloing
A Great Theory Lesson

A Harmonizing Lesson
The Correct Way To Play The Gallop

~Sue
bangoodcharlote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 03:08 AM   #27
demonofthenight
UG Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangoodcharlote
Demon, are you looking for a modal Phrygian song or a heavy metal song?
You know how you demonstrated modal dorian songs? Like, the over used example, Dminor to G7 vamp as being dorian. I wanted something similar but written around phrygian. Maybe a modal jazz song or something? I want to hear it done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal4all
You wouldn't be able to play them at full speed but: Antonio Vivaldi's "Winter, 1st movement", Mozart's "rondo alla turca", Paganini's "Caprice 5".
Read rule six
demonofthenight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 07:28 AM   #28
aradine
7 String Soldier

to demonofthenight, just write one, that way you can tailor it to your needs and get more out of it.

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020

along with fire escape routes...

aradine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 07:39 AM   #29
demonofthenight
UG Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aradine
to demonofthenight, just write one, that way you can tailor it to your needs and get more out of it.
But I want to hear how people who have been doing this music thing longer than me do it
Old 05-27-2008, 02:24 PM   #30
metal4all
Always tripping

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonofthenight
Read rule six

Oh well. I was being honest. It's a great song even though it's impossible (except for Jason Becker) to play full speed. I think it sounds great even only at like 1/3rd speed.

-Max Planck
☮∞☯♥
Old 05-27-2008, 02:47 PM   #31
TheNextJimi

I have been playing for about two years and my main genres are rock to heavy metal and some death metal. I am looking for a song that will challenge my alternate and sweep picking(keep it simple since I am just learning)

separate suggestion
I have also been working on figerpicking for a few months and would like a good song to develop that as well, genre can be anywhere from classical to rock.
TheNextJimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 08:04 PM   #32
Utci
Luciano Here ^^

Alternate? Bark at the moon maybe?. I'm looking for a sweep picking song also, I'm just starting in sweep picking, so something intermediate for having a goal.

Strymon El Capistan
RMC4 Picture Wah
Sunface BC-108
Fulltone OCD
MXR M-108
ISP Decimator
Bad Monkey
Danelectro Fish & Chips

Peavey ValveKing 112:
-Celestion Vintage 30
Utci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 05:00 AM   #33
demonofthenight
UG Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNextJimi
I have been playing for about two years and my main genres are rock to heavy metal and some death metal. I am looking for a song that will challenge my alternate and sweep picking(keep it simple since I am just learning)

separate suggestion
I have also been working on figerpicking for a few months and would like a good song to develop that as well, genre can be anywhere from classical to rock.
Yngwie malmsteen songs for the first suggestion (He's a damn genious, and his stuffs meant to be easy.)

Try greensleeves for a fingerpicking song. Damn easy. If you can do that, play classical gas REALLY slow. Alot of kids learn classical gas for some reason.

Last edited by demonofthenight : 05-28-2008 at 05:03 AM.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:32 AM   #34
SOAD_freak777

I need an intermediate metal song in standard or dropped D tuning that includes a solo with alternate picking and sweep picking. I have been playing for 18 months.
SOAD_freak777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 05:28 AM   #35
demonofthenight
UG Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOAD_freak777
I need an intermediate metal song in standard or dropped D tuning that includes a solo with alternate picking and sweep picking. I have been playing for 18 months.
How long have you been playing for, what bands do you usually listen to?
There are millions of metal bands writing metal songs, most of them in drop d or standard and almost all of them that have solo's.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:55 AM   #36
Phobos&Deimos
I AMZ A TONEZ CHASER

I'm currently in the process of writing tablature for Igor Stravinsky's Rite of Spring. Stravinsky is the Heavy Metal of Classical music. Way ahead of his time.
Phobos&Deimos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 12:52 PM   #37
soundgarden19

Ok guys, can you suggest a song that's got a fun riff, with a pretty cool solo, i've been playing for almost five years, and i can play songs like: Pearl Jam's Alive, and Phish's You Enjoy Myself and i'm looking for a challange.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
soundgarden19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 02:55 PM   #38
DimebagJosho
mmmmm

K.. Been playing for 2 and a bit years. Over these past 2 years iv basically been working on my techniquemore than anything. I can play5 songs ALL the way through (embarassing...). I mainly write my own material for my band so i've not really been learning songs (but that doesn't matter)

Im looking for a song in standard tuning, or Drop D. I play metal and neo-classical shred stuff such as Yngwie Malmsteen, Megadeth etc. but i'm willing to try anything which will push me to my limit. I can sweep pick, alternate pick, tap, string skip, and my legato is pretty good too. So yeah thanks people
Roland Cube 60
Dunlop Wah Wah Pedal.

mmmmm

Guitar fund - £300/???
Help me out guise!!1!
DimebagJosho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 04:26 PM   #39
bangoodcharlote
Fractal

Demon:

Do you know Chuck Mangione? His song "Children of Sanchez" uses a lot of Phrygian stuff and you know enough theory to know when he isn't.

"Melodic Control" by Marty Friedman: A video on soloing
A Great Theory Lesson

A Harmonizing Lesson
The Correct Way To Play The Gallop

~Sue
bangoodcharlote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 04:48 PM   #40
branny1982
UG Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundgarden19
Ok guys, can you suggest a song that's got a fun riff, with a pretty cool solo, i've been playing for almost five years, and i can play songs like: Pearl Jam's Alive, and Phish's You Enjoy Myself and i'm looking for a challange.

I didn't think i would contribute to this thread, but you seem to perfectly describe-
Led Zeppelin - In the Evening

Let me know when you have heard/learnt it. Riffs really don't get any funner than that one.
Piece#2 Piece#4 Piece#7 Piece#9 Piece#10
Piece#11
branny1982 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: