Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > Archives Of The Best Threads > Electric Guitar Archives
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-28-2008, 03:17 AM   #1
MatrixClaw
UG God

GOTM June: Ibanez RG3120 Prestige

GOTM June: Ibanez RG3120 Prestige

Since we havenít had a ďGuitar of the MonthĒ in quite some time, I decided Iíd give it a shot since I recently picked up an Ibanez RG3120 Prestige.

Features:

This is a 2001 RG3120 that came equip with the Lo-Pro Edge, which I believe was changed on the 2003 model to an Edge Pro.

* Solid Mahogany Body w/ AAA Flamed Maple Top

* 24 Jumbo-Fret Rosewood Fingerboard

* Locking Studs

* 3-Piece, Maple Wizard Neck (All Access Neck Joint)

* Ibanez Tuners

* Ibanez Lo-Pro Edge Tremolo Bridge

* DiMarzio Tone Zone and PAF Pro Pickups

* 1 Volume and 1 Tone Knobs, 5-Way Pickup Toggle

* Smooth-With-Body Input Jack

Quality:

Just looking at the guitar itself and noticing the ďPrestigeĒ on the headstock should show that the guitar is a quality instrument, however after plugging it in and getting a feel to it, it most definitely lives up to the expectation. Japanese-made, the fretwork on it is very nice, smooth with the fretboard with no sharp points poking out. The electronics are flawless, no pops when changing pickups and is grounded correctly, leaving my amp dead silent (which isnít something Iíd experienced before with any other guitar through it).

The guitar is also very heavy for something made for shred and metal, however, this is due to the solid-mahogany body. At least you know itís not neck heavy and will dive on you!

Iíd easily put this thing up against something two to three times its price, as Iím more than certain that it can hold its own against them.

Sound:

I certainly wasnít expecting what I heard when I first plugged this guitar in, just when I thought my Mark IV couldnít sound any better with the tubes that were in it, I was proved wrong.

The cleans on my Mark IV Iíd always thought were sort of ďehĒ and too warm for my tastes, the PAF Pro really livens up the channel, getting those sparkling cleans Iíve heard of from the amp. I will even go as far as saying this guitar has MUCH better cleans than my Strat and any other single-coil equip guitar Iíve played through it. Leads through the PAF Pro are everything youíd want from it, nice and defined but thick and saturated.

Iíve always been a fan of the Tone Zone and this one is no different. The pickup really delivers in the gain department, great rhythm and lead tones (which I usually donít use the bridge for lead, but it sounds nice!) for any style of music. Very versatile pickup.

Iíve never really been a fan of basswood or alder guitars, except maybe in strats, so when I saw that the guitar was made out of mahogany, I was very excited. The wood in the body really brings out the lows which I feel other woods lack.

Even through my TonePort UX2, which I normally practice with, itís improved my sound dramatically, which isnít something Iíd expect through a modeling device.

Playability:

The first thing I noticed when I picked up the guitar was (obviously) the size of the neck, itís very thin in comparison to my SG and Strat, which has always been my problem with the RG series from Ibanez (as I have pretty big hands). However, this guitar is very comfortable to me and plays like a dream.

Playing chords is a breeze with the jumbo frets and action can be lowered so low, without fret-buzz, with the Lo-Pro Edge that you barely have to touch the strings.

The Lo-Pro Edge can handle a ton of abuse and still stays in tune perfectly. By far the best tremolo Iíve ever used.

Overall:

Overall, I was extremely impressed with the guitar and itís far surpassed my expectations. I was originally thinking Iíd have to buy a higher end JEM to get the sound I wanted out of my guitar, but this thing is even better for 1/3 of the price! Not to mention the red flamed maple top is sexy as hell.

The guitar has lasted 7 years so far and has many years left in it. Ibanez makes a quality instrument, and this is no exception.

Ibanez doesnít make an RG model with quite the same features anymore, the biggest of which all lack real DiMarzio pickups, which come stock on the RG3120. For something comparable from the company today, youíd be looking at spending around $2000 or even more. I picked mine up for $700.

If you ever get a chance to play one of these, I really encourage you to do so; you just might find your next guitar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com

Last edited by MatrixClaw : 06-03-2008 at 08:02 PM.
Old 05-28-2008, 03:42 AM   #2
ozoneslayer

good rewiew
Old 05-28-2008, 03:54 AM   #3
halikus

I have the newer version of this guitar. Pretty much identical (RG3270) except it has an edge pro and a pair of paf pros with a blue velvet in the middle. Il agree with everything you say though. Its one awesome playing and sounding sounding axe which i hope will ast me many many years. My only gripe is the finish is rather fragile and it will ding easily. Mine lives in its case or on a wall hanger to avoid all accidents.
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Old 05-30-2008, 12:33 AM   #4
wolfy808
UG Fanatic

Nice Review. Nice Flame on the guitar too.
Old 05-30-2008, 05:51 AM   #5
Naka-dude
ALTOIDS Peppermints

Wow...
Old 05-30-2008, 01:08 PM   #6
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

very nice guitar and review. nice top on it, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Blackstar can blow me; dodgey ****ers.

Old 05-30-2008, 08:26 PM   #7
which ones pink
Have a cigar

I have to say that flame is pretty sick. I like the Petrucci inlays too.

Now you're reminding me how much I need new pickups in my RG lol.
You can sound bad with a good sound guy. You can't sound good with a bad sound guy.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:42 PM   #8
metalgirl0
Atomic lesbian guitarist

Nice axe !
Old 05-30-2008, 09:58 PM   #9
.:Darkness:.
Stiny, Get me a danish!

Reminds me of the current J.customs. Nice!
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Old 05-31-2008, 12:00 AM   #10
ps2stony
Banned

How about a full view of the whole guitar?
Old 05-31-2008, 06:09 PM   #11
nuttyboy

Wow!

That's an awesome guitar!
I love Ibanez's and this one is REALLY nice!!!

Pedals:
Digitech RP90

Amps:
Roland Cube 30X
A cheap 10W
Old 05-31-2008, 11:50 PM   #12
pierce34celtic
Pwnd

I own a very similar guitar, an RG2020xtb, just has upgraded Duncan Distortion/Air Norton pickups and Piezo. I absolutely love the playability and most of all the tight, chunky sound, while still retaining a beautiful clear clean tone.
Old 06-01-2008, 02:36 PM   #13
sum_ugly_man

More sexy pictures please.
Old 06-01-2008, 04:29 PM   #14
Tubyboulin
UG Spammer

Thats a really nice Guitar. im thinking about getting a Tone Zone in the bridge for my RG actually (Evo in the neck, if it fits) What kind of Styles do you think its Best for?

I really love the Flame top on this Guitar, its brilliant, reminds me a bit of one of the new J Customs, just without the Vine inlays.
SG Commando #4

It's Solo Time
The Loud
Old 06-01-2008, 05:43 PM   #15
aznrockerdude
MUSOU SENSHOUSAN!

Location: Gainesville, FL. Member of UG's Official Gain \/\/hores - Invite Only
Quote:
Originally Posted by which ones pink
Now you're reminding me how much I need new pickups in my RG lol.

+1. Me too...

Nice find, Matrix! I thought the TZ would sound muddy in mahogany, but I guess that's not the case...

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Old 06-01-2008, 08:43 PM   #16
MatrixClaw
UG God

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum_ugly_man
More sexy pictures please.

Haha, I'll take some more tonight then, gotta charge the camera up, the batteries die really fast now for some reason, eventhough I charged them like last week and haven't even used it since

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubyboulin
Thats a really nice Guitar. im thinking about getting a Tone Zone in the bridge for my RG actually (Evo in the neck, if it fits) What kind of Styles do you think its Best for?

The Tone Zone is a really versatile pickup. I actually "play" in 3 bands and use it in all of them.

One is a Death Metal band with some Hardcore elements, another is a classic/progressive rock band and the other is a pop-punk band. I think it sounds good for all of them, but I also have an amp that can do it all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznrockerdude
Nice find, Matrix! I thought the TZ would sound muddy in mahogany, but I guess that's not the case...

Yeah, definitely not. It was quite muddy doing tremolo picking on the 6th string, but all I had to do was raise the pickup a bit on that side and it cleared it right up!

I was planning on getting Evos in it, but I like the TZ, so I'll keep it. Whatever guitar I get next will probably get Evos so I can have the best of both worlds

*edit* Here's a small picture of the full body, I tried to put it in my first post but I had too many pictures and wouldn't allow it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com

Last edited by MatrixClaw : 06-01-2008 at 08:46 PM.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:28 PM   #17
ps2stony
Banned

Can you give us a pic of the full body from the neck side?
Old 06-02-2008, 08:52 PM   #18
Ausgeno

I just registered here because of this thread! I recently bought my first electric guitar (well, my first new guitar in about a decade, I had a big break from the axe to produce techno) to replace my old beloved RG750 from when I was a wee rocker, and it just so happens I fell in love with the RG3120 and picked up a mint one from eBay - it should get here in the next few days, I've read so many good reviews of this guitar, I'm so excited I could just pop, lol. Mines a 2002 Twilight Blue 'Fujin Factory' model.

Guitar prices in Australia are ludicrous btw, for the price of my mint 2nd hand RG3120 from the USA I could only have bought a brand new RG350DX locally. Ace looking guitar, but not a patch on the Prestige range.

Last edited by Ausgeno : 06-02-2008 at 09:21 PM.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:16 PM   #19
brutaldeath

sickkkk looks really clean
Old 06-03-2008, 01:00 AM   #20
Ausgeno

Btw OP, I believe the RG3120 has the Wizard neck, not the Wizard II as you've got listed, is that right?

I hope so anyway, its one of the reasons I chose it.

Rate This Thread: