Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Blues, Jazz & Other Guitar Styles
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-14-2010, 04:28 PM   #1
redandwhite12
red and also white

cheap blues amp

i was looking for a blues amp under 380 dollars. it should be able to do some zepplin style rock also. i checked out the fender frontman 212r and the line 6 spider. i want something that can go pretty loud. enough to play small gigs and still have a good blues,blues-rock tone. any suggestions?
redandwhite12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 04:34 PM   #2
britishsligean

fender superchamp xd
britishsligean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 04:35 PM   #3
crazysam23_Atax
Feuergesicht

Any of the vintage or vintage re-issued fenders'll do the trick.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 04:36 PM   #4
Opethfan1

I think that the frontman is a good choice for what your lookin for, I would stay away from anything line 6. From my personal experiance with line 6 I have not fond one of their amps that i would even use for practice let alone playing out. The sound quality is not too good and their built in fx are sh*t.
Old 02-14-2010, 05:00 PM   #5
Punk_Ninja
Orianthi fanboy.

Depending on your style, I'd probably suggest a used Fender Blues Deluxe or something along those lines.

Definately look into used though, it's hard to find decent giggable amps new!
As one of your favourite guitarists is Jack White, and that your username is "Red and White" I'm gonna assume you're a white stripes fan. Jack White uses Fender amps, or at least did with the White Stripes, which if I remember rightly is a twin reverb. So any Fender in a similar vain to that would be good for those tones. But to be fair, any Fender amp should be able to get a similar sound.
Looking at your other favourite guitarists, Hendrix used Marshall, as did Page among other amps, however, any Marshall in your price range may be a bit too heavy for blues, so for the raunchy tone of these artists I'd still suggest a Fender amp, but maybe put some cash into a decent overdrive to go in front of it?

Without Deviation from the norm, 'progress' is not possible. - Frank Zappa

Check out my youtube channel:
www.youtube.com/roryrockssocks
Punk_Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 06:19 PM   #6
Zoot Allures
UG's Contrarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punk_Ninja
Depending on your style, I'd probably suggest a used Fender Blues Deluxe or something along those lines.

Definately look into used though, it's hard to find decent giggable amps new!
As one of your favourite guitarists is Jack White, and that your username is "Red and White" I'm gonna assume you're a white stripes fan. Jack White uses Fender amps, or at least did with the White Stripes, which if I remember rightly is a twin reverb. So any Fender in a similar vain to that would be good for those tones. But to be fair, any Fender amp should be able to get a similar sound.
Looking at your other favourite guitarists, Hendrix used Marshall, as did Page among other amps, however, any Marshall in your price range may be a bit too heavy for blues, so for the raunchy tone of these artists I'd still suggest a Fender amp, but maybe put some cash into a decent overdrive to go in front of it?

jack white also uses cheap old silvertone amps. I've seen them go very cheap on ebay, don't expect good reverb or tremelo though, jack white likes using old junky gear ;D

〘◣_◢〙 Broken Clocks, click 'help i'm a rock'
HELP I'M A ROCK!

A fan of whisk(e)y? Click here!
Zoot Allures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 07:23 PM   #7
aerosmith513

Vox AC4TV is great. I cant say enough good things about it.
aerosmith513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 11:59 AM   #8
RubberSoul54321
UG's Train Wreck

any small simple valve amp,mic'd up for gigs

"I won't waste my love on a nation" BRMC

My Band, RedEye:

http://redeyeband.weebly.com/
RubberSoul54321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 02:32 PM   #9
Blind In 1 Ear
Git-Man

well i got my crate v50 for around 400 and i like it a lot. its 50 w so thats plenty for gigging. i think its great for blues & rock. the overdrive on it is nothing special, but its good to have a pedal with. you get some pretty fender like cleans as well. the overdrive channel is a little dark but i like it. i like a warm sound. you can check out my youtube to hear it if you want. its mostly clean stuff though. theres another guy on youtube who does a good demo of it and does the overdrive channel and with a pedal as well.

check out my youtube page for some songs.
Blind In 1 Ear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 12:07 PM   #10
TNfootballfan62
Mr. Blue

1. Stay away from the Fender Frontman and Spider amps.

2. Start looking used.

Now, if you're looking for a more British type tone (like Zeppelin), and you want good overdrive out of the box, then you'll want to find a Peavey Classic 30, Peavey Delta Blues, Crate Vintage Club amp, or something like a Crate V50 as suggested above, although I haven't tried that particular amp.

For more American voiced cleans, you can try to find a used Fender Hot Rod or Blues Deluxe, but they are very lacking in good overdrive. For both good American cleans and overdrive, look into a used Ampeg Reverberocket reissue. They are out of production and hard to find now, so you'll have to be patient if you want something like that.

Happy hunting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
TNfootballfan62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 10:11 PM   #11
Sir Anonymous
Pure entropy

$380 might get you a nice little Blackheart.
Sir Anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 10:14 PM   #12
ext1jdh
Rather Boring Guy

Blackheart little giant. Probably perfect for you needs. If you have a cab, you can get a handsome devil head for the same price
Blackheart Handsome Devil
ext1jdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 10:41 PM   #13
JilaX^

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
1. Stay away from the Fender Frontman and Spider amps.

2. Start looking used.

Now, if you're looking for a more British type tone (like Zeppelin), and you want good overdrive out of the box, then you'll want to find a Peavey Classic 30, Peavey Delta Blues, Crate Vintage Club amp, or something like a Crate V50 as suggested above, although I haven't tried that particular amp.

For more American voiced cleans, you can try to find a used Fender Hot Rod or Blues Deluxe, but they are very lacking in good overdrive. For both good American cleans and overdrive, look into a used Ampeg Reverberocket reissue. They are out of production and hard to find now, so you'll have to be patient if you want something like that.

Happy hunting.

Listen to this man.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:08 AM   #14
TNfootballfan62
Mr. Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by JilaX^
Listen to this man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
TNfootballfan62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 01:22 PM   #15
wolflen
one note away from satori

listen to a fender blues jr. the one with the jensen speaker..a nice surprise...

wolf
wolflen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 08:47 AM   #16
Earthrug

A used PV Classic 30 would fit the bill.
Earthrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:11 AM   #17
56Strat

I picked up a 1970 silverface Champ on eBbay & put in a Torres "tweed" mod kit, a Weber speaker and some NOS tubes. Put a Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive (TS808 sound) in the mix and you have a nice old school blues rig......and it didn't break the bank.
56Strat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 11:47 PM   #18
a.argento.jr

http://distilledguitars.com/collections/amplifiers/products/bootlegger-blues-30-tube-amplifier

A very well priced Blues 30 watt tube amp that happens to be a personal favorite of mine.
a.argento.jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 07:42 PM   #19
barefootboy
a gray haired boy

holy necro-bump batman
barefootboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 11:31 PM   #20
Vince Marrone

Can't go wrong with the Fender Pro Jr. Small, loud and lots of vibe. They are a bit hissy, but you can definitely gig with them. They have 15 watts and all tube. No reverb though. People use pedals today anyway. I had one for years and never really had trouble being heard above the drummer.
Vince Marrone is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: