Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-21-2008, 01:41 AM   #1
Iansmitchell

Dean V coustic?

Three quick questions on this one:

A. How loud is it?
Will people hear you on a street corner, a few feet away, or around a campfire, or across the den?
B.
How does it sound?
Is it deep(cowboy chord ready), midrangeish (barre chords and capo use), or trebley(spanish guitar-style)?
C.
How much space(in inches) is there between the soundhole and the bridge?

Thanks guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobain_is_king
If your friends don't like your guitar, cover it in stickers and it'll be teh rawks!
Iansmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 01:47 AM   #2
gnpwdrtreason

A)Crappy
B)Crappy
C)Like a V
gnpwdrtreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 01:50 AM   #3
Iansmitchell

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnpwdrtreason
A)Crappy
B)Crappy
C)Like a V

A-elaborate.
B-Elaborate, I'm starting to doubt you've used this guitar
C-What's that supposed to mean?
I'm doubting you've even seen this guitar in person.

Quote:
If your friends don't like your guitar, cover it in stickers and it'll be teh rawks!
Old 06-21-2008, 01:56 AM   #4
the-kid44P
Banned

the-kid44P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 01:58 AM   #5
Iansmitchell

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-kid44P

I know that.

I've also seen and heard square acoustic guitars, which sounded quite nice.

Does anyone on the forum have hand-on experience with it?

Quote:
Old 06-21-2008, 02:32 AM   #6
captivate
d[-.-]b Asian Audiophile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnpwdrtreason
A)Crappy
B)Crappy
C)Like a V

This is the exact answer to your question. You don't even need to try the guitar to know that it'll be bad

As far as I, or any other sane acoustic guitar player will tell you, the Dean flying V acoustic guitar is a sin against nature.

First of all, the laws of physics tell us that sharp angles are BAD for acoustics. What is the flying V? lots of sharp angles. Sharp angles destroy the projection of the sound and the tone. The flying V also doesnt have enough surface area to even project efficiently.

Second, If I wanted to have something as hideous as a flying V, I would probably be a metal head instead of acoustic guitarist.

Third, the flying V isnt even made of solid wood, it's made of laminate. Laminate sucks in acoustic guitars except for special cases like Seagull's 3 piece laminate.

In conclusion, the flying V looks ugly, sounds like crap, is made of crap, and will project sound like crap because it defies all the laws of physics(on purpose) that govern what a good acoustic guitar should be.

Sorry if I sound harsh, but the dean flying V makes me lose hope for humanity each time I look at it.
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
captivate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 02:35 AM   #7
Iansmitchell

I'm looking for somebody who HAS PLAYED THIS GUITAR.
Particularly someone who owns and can measure the distance between sound hole and bridge for me.

Also, at WHAT point are angles "sharp"?
are the hollow wings on a gibson 335 sharp?
They're sharper than the angles on the dean V.

All I've seen so far is harsh generalizations...

Quote:
Old 06-21-2008, 02:44 AM   #8
captivate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iansmitchell
I'm looking for somebody who HAS PLAYED THIS GUITAR.
Particularly someone who owns and can measure the distance between sound hole and bridge for me.

Also, at WHAT point are angles "sharp"?
are the hollow wings on a gibson 335 sharp?
They're sharper than the angles on the dean V.

All I've seen so far is harsh generalizations...

Anything not round like any normal acoustic and part of the body is considered "sharp". There are points sticking out of that guitar if you havent noticed. Acoustics are "round" for a reason.

Also, bringing in a gibson 335 has nothing to do with this. The dean flying V is an acoustic guitar. not a hollowbody. The tone of a hollowbody relies more on the pickups and amp than the wood. That's why a hollowbody cannot be played acoustically efficiently. The two are completely different animals by nature.

And no, these are not "harsh" generalizations(I would be much more crude and uncouth if I really wanted to be harsh). They're truths based on the laws of physics.

Old 06-21-2008, 02:51 AM   #9
Iansmitchell

Quote:
Originally Posted by captivate
Anything not round like any normal acoustic and part of the body is considered "sharp". There are points sticking out of that guitar if you havent noticed. Acoustics are "round" for a reason.

Also, bringing in a gibson 335 has nothing to do with this. The dean flying V is an acoustic guitar. not a hollowbody. The tone of a hollowbody relies more on the pickups and amp than the wood. That's why a hollowbody cannot be played acoustically efficiently. The two are completely different animals by nature.

And no, these are not "harsh" generalizations(I would be much more crude and uncouth if I really wanted to be harsh). They're truths based on the laws of physics.

I'll ask again, have you PLAYED one?

Quote:
Old 06-21-2008, 03:03 AM   #10
ripple07
Clancy can't even sing

Location: Out here on the perimeter there are no stars. Out here we is stoned. Immaculate.
^^ you... are not a very... smart person, are you.

i have played one, one of the worst guitars i have used... to be honest
ripple07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 03:07 AM   #11
Iansmitchell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripple07
^^ you... are not a very... smart person, are you.

i have played one, one of the worst guitars i have used... to be honest

I'm currently working on a degree in electrical engineering.
I've built tube amplifiers, pedals, and even wound my own set of pickups(which ended up sucking, so I tossed them).

Anyway, I'm glad to find someone on the thread who has actually PLAYED this guitar.
What all was bad about it?
What exactly did you do with it before putting it back?

Quote:
Old 06-21-2008, 03:19 AM   #12
ripple07
Clancy can't even sing

Location: Out here on the perimeter there are no stars. Out here we is stoned. Immaculate.
Quote:
I've built tube amplifiers, pedals, and even wound my own set of pickups(which ended up sucking, so I tossed them).

Anyway, I'm glad to find someone on the thread who has actually PLAYED this guitar.

sorry about the "smart" comment, only joking.

it just sounds cheap... if you know what i mean? have you ever seen those "camp" guitars that are really small? it almost sounds like that. strum one chord and you will know what i mean. so all in all, it just doesnt sound good enough to buy in my opinion. and considering if you love how they look, the sound it produces definately beats out any other qualities of the guitar...

edit: didnt see your final question, i just played whatever i do when i first pick up a guitar, play a random song, something along those lines.

Last edited by ripple07 : 06-21-2008 at 03:23 AM.
Old 06-21-2008, 03:21 AM   #13
Cheers

Quote:

No one cares about your degree--you're not impressing anyone. Captivate's assessment of the guitar is correct--and yes, I have played it. Try strumming a chord on that thing: it has a horrible sound that's way too treble-y. Fingerpicking is also no better. Whatever you do, do not buy that guitar. Please.
Cheers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 03:36 AM   #14
Iansmitchell

Quote:
sorry about the "smart" comment, only joking.

it just sounds cheap... if you know what i mean? have you ever seen those "camp" guitars that are really small? it almost sounds like that. strum one chord and you will know what i mean. so all in all, it just doesnt sound good enough to buy in my opinion. and considering if you love how they look, the sound it produces definately beats out any other qualities of the guitar...

edit: didnt see your final question, i just played whatever i do when i first pick up a guitar, play a random song, something along those lines.

Yeah I know those travel crap things.

Well, I was thinking also trying nashville tuning on it, would that help?
I know in mariachi bands, there's a variety of instruments, and the smaller ones generally have lighter strings, I'd assume this might work on the same principle?

Did you try plugging it in? I know that helps on some guitars(I tried a single-cutaway acoustic that wasn't anything at all unplugged, but plugged in was nice and deep, full, I guess the EQ really helped or something)

Anyway my general point in this thread was I was considering buying one and putting a GFS mean 90 between the Soundhole and the bridge, putting the jack for that and the acoustic pickup, somewhere more sensible on the guitar, and using it plugged in save for little showing off when I don't have anywhere to plug in my electrics (like during hurricanes).

At any rate.
I think I'll skip it, save for the chance of finding one used for under 150 bucks.

Quote:
Old 06-21-2008, 03:41 AM   #15
ripple07
Clancy can't even sing

Quote:
Yeah I know those travel crap things.

Well, I was thinking also trying nashville tuning on it, would that help?
I know in mariachi bands, there's a variety of instruments, and the smaller ones generally have lighter strings, I'd assume this might work on the same principle?

Did you try plugging it in? I know that helps on some guitars(I tried a single-cutaway acoustic that wasn't anything at all unplugged, but plugged in was nice and deep, full, I guess the EQ really helped or something)

Anyway my general point in this thread was I was considering buying one and putting a GFS mean 90 between the Soundhole and the bridge, putting the jack for that and the acoustic pickup, somewhere more sensible on the guitar, and using it plugged in save for little showing off when I don't have anywhere to plug in my electrics (like during hurricanes).

At any rate.
I think I'll skip it, save for the chance of finding one used for under 150 bucks.

hmm, i kind of had a feeling thats what you were thinking of. idk, it might be kinda interesting with a pickup, not gonna lie.
Old 06-21-2008, 03:55 AM   #16
Iansmitchell

Quote:
hmm, i kind of had a feeling thats what you were thinking of. idk, it might be kinda interesting with a pickup, not gonna lie.

Well the pickup would also(for my tastes) require some shielding behind and around it, Probably with some foil and/or shielding paint, with an enclosed(other than lines to output jack) wood block around it, which would probably shift neck balance more favorably anyway, having a wood block in there I'd have to put in a better bridge, probably a tune o matic or wraparound depending on space available.

It'd be a predominantly plug-in acoustic or full on electric.
Other than times when I have no power supply around.

Quote:
Old 06-21-2008, 03:57 AM   #17
ripple07
Clancy can't even sing

that would be quite interesting.
Old 06-21-2008, 06:02 AM   #18
theinnerpalm

Quote:

Wow. An electrical engineering major who was born in July of 1993? Impressive. Honestly man, this is the internet, there's no need to try to make yourself seem like you have a huge wang (or in this case huge brain). And for the record, working towards an engineering degree does not make you intelligent. I'm in my first couple years of college and I can tell you that more than half the engineering majors I know will not be able to finish as an engineering major.

The Dean Flying-V is not worth the money. You asked for people for their opinions, and you received it. Yet you are being defiant and dismissing honest arguments based on solid evidence. This is what warranted ripple07's comment on not being the brightest crayon in the box (apologies for the terrible pun).

This is a generally friendly section of the UG forums. People come to give and receive advice, not to flex their e-peen. Many people here are probably far more knowledgeable than you when it comes to acoustics. Why not just listen? if you think the concept of a flying v acoustic is bitchin' and don't mind the inherent flaws that come with it, then for heaven's sake go out and buy it, and stop asking us for our opinions.

Last edited by theinnerpalm : 06-21-2008 at 03:38 PM.
theinnerpalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 12:37 PM   #19
captivate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheers
No one cares about your degree--you're not impressing anyone. Captivate's assessment of the guitar is correct--and yes, I have played it. Try strumming a chord on that thing: it has a horrible sound that's way too treble-y. Fingerpicking is also no better. Whatever you do, do not buy that guitar. Please.

lol. I just gave up trying to convince him that it doesn't matter if you play it or not. When you try to defy the laws of nature, you get bad results.

Old 06-21-2008, 01:02 PM   #20
Iansmitchell

Quote:
Originally Posted by theinnerpalm
Wow. An electrical engineering major who was born in July of 1993? Impressive. Honestly man, this is the internet, there's no need to try to make yourself seem like you have a huge wang (or in this case huge brain). And for the record, working towards an engineering degree does not make you intelligent. I'm in my first couple years of college and I can tell you that more than half the engineering majors I know will not be able to finish as an engineering major.

The Dean Flying-V is not worth the money. You asked for people for their opinions, and you received it. Yet you are being defiant and dismissing honest arguments based on solid evidence. This is what warranted ripple07's comment on not being the brightest crown in the box (apologies for the terrible pun).

This is a generally friendly section of the UG forums. People come to give and receive advice, not to flex their e-peen. Many people here are probably far more knowledgeable than you when it comes to acoustics. Why not just listen? if you think the concept of a flying v acoustic is bitchin' and don't mind the inherent flaws that come with it, then for heaven's sake go out and buy it, and stop asking us for our opinions.

It's called dual enrollment.
And learn to spell crayon.

And I asked here because you guys would liekly be more knowledgeable than the gear customization forum, I didn't consider open mindedness.

Quote:

Rate This Thread: