Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > Archives Of The Best Threads > Bands & Artists Archives
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-23-2004, 06:13 PM   #1
duke9738
Banned

Question What The Heck Is Emo?

in order to stop all the threads asking what emo is, ive decided to write up an article on the history of emo. CHEERS and thanks def for letting me do this.

WHAT THE FUKING FUK IS EMO!?!?!

Is the world flat? Are those real? What is emo?

probably the three greatest questions in rememberance. And while the first two have arguably been answered one question still remains, what IS emo?

Emo: (e-mo)adj.
A mocked, maligned, and mostly misunderstood genre of emotionally charged/inspired punk(or hardcore).

now if you dont want to listen to me and would rather go somewhere with lots of nice things for you to click go to www.fourfa.com

As far as the history of emo goes, fourfa.com has a very detailed insight to that i suggest you read, im simply going to paraphrase for you....

HISTORY OF EMO

In 1983 the DC scene was the center of hardcore-punk. But when Minor Threat broke up bands started to wonder if they should be moving on. Bands split in all sort of direction from cheese metal to tough guy mosh. But in the midst of that a direction seemed to have been found. Instead of taking punk-hardcore faster and harder, some decided to take it to a more melodic point.

It is arguable(and my opinion)
that that is when the first band that could be labeled
"emo" arrived in 1984...The Rites of Spring

Rites of Spring introduced an unheard of vocal style with gasping out of breath to screaming, but the trick is, they all accented the lyrics. which were dripping with emotion and sweat.

Next summer, the summer of 1985 became known as
THE REVOLUTION SUMMER
Hardcore bands all over started to take on a more melodic sound. They were all given the tag "emo-core"

About a year later bands started to play around with "emo" itself. They had emo-core, but how far could they take the "emo" part?
The Hated were the first post-rites of spring to accualy produce a sound adequate to the characteristics of simply, "emo".

thats where fourfa.com leaves us. And in my opinion its pretty safe to say emo continued steadily on that path with bands like Jawbreaker and the Promise Ring until about 1994. Newcomers to the circuit Sunny Day Real Estate put out the "end-all-be-all" album Diary. They spawned an entire army of clones with thier alterntive/indie/emo sound. (most notably the get up kids) Few bands were able to get out of SDRE's shadow. Texas is the Reason were one who did. Mineral and Elliot are also noted in escaping their "sunny day real estate clone" label.

Now not to target them or anything, but if you turn on your radio or tv your quite aware emo has been infiltrated by the mainstream(i dont believe it to be the other way around). So you have to wonder when exactly this happened. And i believed it was unintentional, but they were also the first to divide and shock many fans by using a TOUR BUS ...The Get Up Kids. The Get Up Kids have built up an amazing popularity. Even making it onto the billboard charts. But this jump from basements to mtv wasnt in a day. Theyve been flirting with mass commercialization for most of the past 5 years.

The lines of underground emo/commercial emo/pop punk/melodic punk are always becoming more blurred. and "are they emo" is a question a band that falls into any of those categories will get these days. Speaking of these days, whats emo been up to lately?

Go back to 2001. The none less than groundbreak Full Collapse was released to the world curtisy of Thursday. Almost any hardcore/emocore band today copies thier style, and they are one of the few modern legends of emo.

But...another album was released 2001. Brand New's Your Favorite Weapon. Considered pop punk at the time becuse of their sound, Jessy Lacey's lyrics broke free of anything considered a norm. This cd was considered very good, but not many people saw it as amazing.

Fast forward to about 9 months ago. Deja Entendu made Brand New Rolling Stone's Band of the Year for 2003. The amazing lyrical and musical curveballs on this disc are unmissable. The mixture of electric and acoustic, the layered vocals, and almost absence of powerchords created a cd that supposedly (i do not have this confirmed) did not recieve a negative review.

I think thats enuf of the history of emo

so instead of arguing how much crying makes a band emo, or what characterists they have, i thought that knowing emos history wud make it easier for u to make the distincing of labels for any bands you have to question.

Yes, emo is whiny. Yes, it is very often about breakups but NO that is not always the case. Go back to the defenition at the beggining. It does not say Emo:A band that sings about lost love. That would encompass almost 60% of every band in history, doubt that all you want but seriously think about it.

To conclude this essay, that probably, wont solve anything, is make emo what you want. Hate it, Love it, Whatever. It dosent matter, but please, ****ing understand it first. I can see why people wud love emo, i can see why people wud hate it and BOTH ARE COMPLETELY VALID!

I know thats prolly an hour longer than what you wanted to read but i hope it helped clear a thing or to up for you.

Last edited by duke9738 : 04-22-2005 at 06:39 PM.
Old 03-23-2004, 06:24 PM   #2
Defiance
Wanker

ok

Selling:
Vintage '60s Epiphone Crestwood Deluxe (Model Johnny Winter used / uses)

Korg AX1500G ME-Pedal.

MSG Me if interested.
Old 03-23-2004, 07:08 PM   #3
m3e6oHocK
Never Forget Northstar...

thank you... i enjoyed reading it
*applause*
Old 03-23-2004, 07:08 PM   #4
JH013

And in my opinion its pretty safe to say emo continued steadily on that path with bands like Jawbreaker and the Promise Ring until about 1984.

dont you mean 94?

Rites of Spring kick ass. everyone should check them out.

good job, duke
Old 03-23-2004, 07:36 PM   #5
emokid182

That was a good read. and maybe it will stop all the people asking what emo is.

thats why he's the hardcore mod
Old 03-23-2004, 08:03 PM   #6
SeeinYellow
¤consequential angels¤

everyone has ta know what emo is...
its just "common sense"
Old 03-23-2004, 08:46 PM   #7
Glard
UG Peasent

.bravo
Old 03-23-2004, 09:14 PM   #8
duke9738
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by JH013
And in my opinion its pretty safe to say emo continued steadily on that path with bands like Jawbreaker and the Promise Ring until about 1984.

dont you mean 94?

ur right sorry, changed that.
Old 03-23-2004, 11:03 PM   #9
underground_kid
UG's most UNWANTED

Re: What The Heck Is Emo?

Quote:
Originally posted by duke9738
To conclude this essay, that probably, wont solve anything, is make emo what you want. Hate it, Love it, Whatever. It dosent matter, but please, ****ing understand it first. I can see why people wud love emo, i can see why people wud hate it and BOTH ARE COMPLETELY VALID!

i love it!
Old 03-23-2004, 11:29 PM   #10
FatKidsOnMopeds</3
my mind is a birdcage

wud? lol thats so emo
Old 03-24-2004, 09:59 AM   #11
RaY_TrEeS
UG STONER

i fuc</B>kin hate emo man. goddamit, its so annoying
Old 03-24-2004, 10:00 AM   #12
duke9738
Banned

thats nice, hopefully you read the article though
Old 03-24-2004, 04:47 PM   #13
Crink
Dance Dance Revolution

i read it all it was enjoyable... good job...
Old 03-25-2004, 03:02 AM   #14
dai the flu
two headed boy

i think you shouldve mentioned summore modern bands other than thursday and brand new, but its all good. nice job :-)
Old 03-25-2004, 03:28 AM   #15
wehttam

choice work

note to rob: get your ass in the chat sometime
Old 03-25-2004, 05:37 AM   #16
still-breathing
livtastic

thats really great^^.

i actually enjoyed reading it

good work!

This Is The Girl.
Old 03-25-2004, 05:46 AM   #17
*Def*
UG ENGL Endorser

stuckied ;P

Gear *****
Old 03-25-2004, 05:58 PM   #18
TakingBakSunday
UG Newbie

very nice....clears up gay ****s like travis pease from colfax IA
Old 03-28-2004, 12:20 AM   #19
stellar_legs
semen bath.

Re: What The Heck Is Emo?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by duke9738
It is arguable(and my opinion)
that that is when the first band that could be labeled
"emo" arrived in 1984...The Rites of Spring

You ar eso right on that one. I'm guessing you and I are probably the only two to ever listen to them. Kids, you ahve to look for there debut.

I love Rites of Spring, and I thank your for noting them as the founders of a genre who, I believe, has gotten worse and worse and worse.......Good emo stopped with ATD-I in my opinion......
Old 03-28-2004, 02:34 PM   #20
duke9738
Banned

yea getting that the rites of spring started was relly my main goal with this, ive heard one too many people say Weezer invented emo.(ive nothing against weezer)

Rate This Thread: