Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-10-2016, 03:32 PM   #1
tobysaurus
UG Newbie

Earning a living in a wedding band?

I'm considering joining/starting a wedding band as a means to earn a bit of extra cash. Surely there are people on this site who have experience in this?

How much can one expect to make per 'gig'? Is it possible to earn any reasonable money from this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensai
I think I love you Tobysaurus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFH82
God damn, you've given me a boner Toby!
tobysaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 03:33 PM   #2
Herr Rararr

You can, but it is only a job - it's not playing music - by which I mean you are meant to be in the background, which is a tough form of performance if you're not used to it.

Rates depend on what kind of music you play, set length, etc.

Do me a favour, pop into Songwriting & Lyrics and add a comment to one thread, any thread, but contribute.

----

www.soundcloud.com/christobaldo
Herr Rararr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 03:35 PM   #3
StewieSwan
Decent User

just fyi playing weddings sucks and the bride/groom will try their best to get out of paying you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikillintel
LoL , you think you're so smart, cunning, clever, forum swagger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yope
If I were going to medical school I would learn all I could about treatment of the neck bones.
StewieSwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 03:38 PM   #4
Deliriumbassist
UG's only DB

I was briefly in a Motown covers band that did a couple of weddings. There were six of us in the band at that point, and for the weddings we charged £1200 for two 1 hour sets.

Deliriumbassist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 03:45 PM   #5
theogonia777
Miss Kristen

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewieSwan
just fyi playing weddings sucks and the bride/groom will try their best to get out of paying you

Not only that but wedding gigs (whether playing, singing, DJing, etc) generally involves drunk people screaming at you because they don't like the music (despite the fact that it's not their wedding) and requesting absurd songs that shouldn't be played, ready to pour their drinks on your shit if you don't play them.

Keep in mind also that unlike a regular cover band playing rock, jazz, country, pop, etc where you hopefully would like the genre and most of the songs you are playing, a wedding band is expected to play any song that the bride and groom (but many the bride) asks you to play (in advance if you're lucky and the day of if you're not). And they expect it to sound just like the original... despite the fact that you may not have half the instruments from the original song.

Basically as a regular cover band you choose songs that, based on your genre, will go over well. In a wedding band you play whatever the bride wants you to play and you have no say.

Comma splices killed Steve McNair. When you post a comma splice, you are supporting murder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NirvanaLuvr16
omg its better than i imagined... so dark and cozy and warm...

Now you have no excuse...
theogonia777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 03:46 PM   #6
mattedbird
cataloged vendee

from the looks of the fun they have in the movies, I would do it for almost nothing
mattedbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 03:52 PM   #7
slapsymcdougal
UG Bored King

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobysaurus
I'm considering joining/starting a wedding band as a means to earn a bit of extra cash. Surely there are people on this site who have experience in this?

How much can one expect to make per 'gig'? Is it possible to earn any reasonable money from this?

It depends.

It's easier to get work through an agency than trying to drum up business for yourself, and they do sometimes charge by the band member. A couple of friends hired the same 3 piece band for their weddings, and the agency essentially charged by the band member at £200 a pop.

This is the list of songs they play from. If you ask nicely, they'll add a new track or two(they added the Volbeat version of I Only Wanna Be With You for my mate Adam's wedding).

They're generally booked up Friday/Saturday every week for 6 months or so in advance.
Old 04-10-2016, 07:53 PM   #8
Anthony1991
No Religion Or Mind Virus

Quote:

I'm not sure, how much are souls worth these days?

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
Anthony1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 08:21 PM   #9
MasterStohner

I just came here to add that my boyfriend's dad recently got married and had the band play Owner of a Lonely Heart by Yes.
So you have that to look forward to in 0.01% of cases.
MasterStohner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 01:28 PM   #10
AndersM1

Ran one for years. I would do guitar at wedding ceremonies a) same money b) sat nights are yours c) you don't have to rely in unreliable musos c) you don't have to keep up with chart stuff mostly d) less gear hauling which at 2am after 4hr set is important.
AndersM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 01:34 PM   #11
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

I've got a friend who was in a wedding band and made very good money, basically staying booked constantly. He hated it, but he made bank.

He said the key is to get the bride and groom (so....the bride..) to pick a setlist in advance and let them know that you won't be deviating from it.

Also, have a signed contract and be willing to walk if it starts getting ugly.
Old 04-12-2016, 02:54 PM   #12
Herr Rararr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby911
I've got a friend who was in a wedding band and made very good money, basically staying booked constantly. He hated it, but he made bank.

He said the key is to get the bride and groom (so....the bride..) to pick a setlist in advance and let them know that you won't be deviating from it.

Also, have a signed contract and be willing to walk if it starts getting ugly.

I bet there are some good stories....

Do me a favour, pop into Songwriting & Lyrics and add a comment to one thread, any thread, but contribute.

----

www.soundcloud.com/christobaldo
Herr Rararr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 03:28 PM   #13
monwobobbo

wedding bands can make good money once they get a name in your area. popular wedding bands can command fairly big money. the trick of course i getting to that point.

you definitely will need to learn a pretty big list of songs. research is your friend and knowing the most requested songs at weddings will help a great deal. you also need to be able to learn songs quickly as more often than not you will get asked to play "their song" which can be damn near anything. songs that can be danced to are a must and keep in mind that often older people will want to dance to so nothing crazy.

you will need to have a male and a female lead singer and enough band members to cover songs. the most popular bands in my area have keyboards and at least a couple of horn players.
monwobobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 07:06 PM   #14
Rickholly74

+1 on everything monwobobo said above.

I have done it on and off over the past 40 years. If you really want to do it, do it because you honestly want to do it. It takes a lot of hard work to get it going and you'll need to find very good musicians who can all play in a large variety of styles but if you are serious it can be very rewarding financially. I have never been the band leader in the wedding bands I have worked with but most of the time I get $300-400 per gig. Most of the bands I have played with on weddings and private affairs (anniversaries and other celebrations) have 5 to 10 musicians and always two very good singers. The band leader usually takes home at least double the rest of the band for booking the job, meeting with the bride and groom, assembling set lists and getting together music charts (often simple chord charts will do as these are experienced musicians). The band leader also usually owns or rents the PA. He also guarentees the musicians get paid in cash the night of the gig. He gets a non-refundable deposit from the parties involved and the contract signed. Anyone who tells you that the bride and groom will stiff you don't know much about the business. The ones who know what they are doing don't accept any job without a rock solid contract and hefty deposit.

The important thing is you need to do it because you want to do it and not just because the money is good. You need to have very good chops and like playing the music or it will suck. I suggest you try to hook up with an established band already doing it even if you can just tag along on a gig and help out a few times to make contacts and see what's it's really all about.

One last thing; buy a tuxedo, yes you will need it. Good luck.

Last edited by Rickholly74 : 04-12-2016 at 07:16 PM.
Rickholly74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 07:23 PM   #15
slap-a-bass
Slapper of the bass

i would love to do that!! where can i meet wedding bands so i could b like lemme get in on dat tho?
Old 04-12-2016, 07:24 PM   #16
Cajundaddy

"Wedding Band" was never our target but we have booked a lot of em over the years. Always a fun time and always got paid well. Typically $1000-$1500 for 2 hours of music. Nowhere near enough to live on but keeps the beer fridge full at least.

-You need a good business head in the band or a good agent to get regular bookings.

-You must play at least a handful of bride requests and a set full of top 200 hits that appeal to all ages.

-You need a tight band with very good vocals, usually with at least 1 female singer.

If you are not having fun with this or not getting paid well, you don't understand the "wedding band" gig yet. I personally think it is way more fun than playing to rowdy drunks in biker bars for $50/man.
Old 04-13-2016, 01:35 PM   #17
Rickholly74

I agree with Cajundaddy that playing in a wedding band was never a goal for me either, it just happened many years ago when I got asked to fill in by a musician I knew from another band. I borrowed a tux and did it and found it extremely challenging and a real ego deflator. I thought I played fairly well but playing that gig made me see that I had tunnel vision and only played certain types of music well. Outside of my own comfort zone, I sucked. While it was a real slap in face it was also a challenge that I accepted to become a better guitar player who could play in a lot of styles and not just a "rock" guitarist. It's not for everyone but I've enjoyed the journey and I enjoy gigs where I am the weak link. The only way to get better is to play with people who are better than you. While it appeals to my personal ego to be the top dog and considered the best player in the band, you learn more by playing with great players who can smoke your ass every once in awhile.
Old 04-13-2016, 05:33 PM   #18
monwobobbo

since it really hasn't been mentioned wedding band guitarists rarely get to show off their "awesome" lead licks. if you want to show off then this isn't the type of band for you. being a solid rhythm player that can keep the dance groove going is way more important. sure there may be song here and there that has leads but don't expect any extended solos. most likely you'll be vamping chords playing FUNKY TOWN than playing ripping leads.
monwobobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 06:41 PM   #19
Anthony1991
No Religion Or Mind Virus

Quote:
Originally Posted by monwobobbo
since it really hasn't been mentioned wedding band guitarists rarely get to show off their "awesome" lead licks. if you want to show off then this isn't the type of band for you. being a solid rhythm player that can keep the dance groove going is way more important. sure there may be song here and there that has leads but don't expect any extended solos. most likely you'll be vamping chords playing FUNKY TOWN than playing ripping leads.

You mean turning up and acting like Yngwie isn't acceptable at a wedding?

I still don't really see the point of a wedding band. Like, if all you want is covers and people dancing... well what about a DJ? I would imagine the DJ costs less than a full band, and I mean, will the band even have a smoke machine and cool lights like they do?

From having been to a few weddings with bands playing, they tend to suck and I don't get why they command that level of money; I guess it's just because it's part of the wedding package where everything mystically triples in fucking price.

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
Anthony1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 06:53 PM   #20
chrismendiola
wah_riff.mp3

Quote:
I'm considering joining/starting a wedding band as a means to earn a bit of extra cash.

Are you doing this to earn a living or to earn a bit of extra cash?

Rate This Thread: