Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-09-2008, 07:42 PM   #1
sum_ugly_man

The ONLY Traynor thread

Traynors are Canada's hidden gems. They are the poor man's treasure containing amazing tone, with an amazing price. With the quality build (everything is made in North America), the best warranty EVER (2 years, transferable even if you break it), and lately they have recieved some long deserved recognition, or atleast around these boards.

Personally, I own a YCV 50 blue, and it is by far the best sounding british voiced, tube amplifier for under 1,000. Kool98769 mentioned that he owned a Marshall DSL401 tube combo, and the YCV 50 (which he now owns) beat it completely. They are simply, THE solution for a reliable, nice sounding gig-able amps. Some of the YCV's are loaded with quality celestion speakers, and non-sovtek tubes, with tolex that is as tough as Bubba, at the local prison. Oh, did i mention? CHICKENHEAD KNOBS. That's right, about time an amp maker brought the consumer what the consumer wants.

Before I got my Baby Blue, I tried out many other amps in the same pricerange: The Mesa-Boogie F-50, The Peavey Classic 50 and the 50 watt Valveking, and the Fender Hot Rod Deville. They are all great amps, but the Mesa-Boogie just didnt have the sparkly cleans that i was looking for, the classic 50 had tweed, but it, like the Fender just didn't have big enough balls for me and the valveking...well, it was as sterile as my english teacher.

However, the tranyor YCV 50 blue had just what i needed. Very large bass, non sovtek stock tubes, a metal AND cloth grille in front of the speaker so my brother wouldn't manage to throw something through my speaker cone. Loaded with a vintage 30, and the fact that it is a combo amp gave me the creamy mids that i wanted, the power tube saturation at a descent volume level, and some very smooth preamp gain for my lead playing. Also, it came with an all metal footswitch, if you manage to break it, you need to either lose some weight, or you've been throwing it at too many walls. It was all i could ever ask for in an amplifier.

This thread is dedicated to this amazing brand, post away.

Special thanks to Kool98769 for helping me make this thread, and correcting my poor English, and to slatsmania for telling me of this amazing brand along with all the good folks from the Traynor syndicate.
sum_ugly_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 07:45 PM   #2
kool98769
The Muffin Man...

I concour, sum_ugly_man!

One thing we forgot to mention is the traynor group. And feel free to ask questions in here, and hopefully we can awnser them.
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/traynor/
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
kool98769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 08:51 PM   #3
sum_ugly_man

Oh yeah, I forgot about that one, I'm currently working on some pics of baby blue
Old 07-09-2008, 08:54 PM   #4
HeartInACage

heyoo

i got the ycs-50.
which i like, but at times, can sound alittle brittle. Ive heard this isnt common with these amps, so im thinking its cold biasing.

at its best though, it is my DREAM tone. So yeah, on the good days i love it.
Traynor YCS-50>EHX SMM w/ Hazarai>EHX DMM>EHX Holy Grail>EHX Small Stone>EHX Big Muff PI (NY)>EHX Pulsar>Ibanez TS-9DX>Echo Park>Ibanez Vintage Tubeking>Fulltone OCD>Zvex Fuzz Factory> Roto-Machine>Fulltone Wah>MJM London Fuzz>Fender Strat
HeartInACage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 08:55 PM   #5
acdcrocks0323
UG's Brett Favre

I wish I could get a YCV or YCS50. Currently saving up and hoping to get one used for $500 or so.
acdcrocks0323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 09:00 PM   #6
Iceman 420
UG's Poke-Penguin

Currently playing a Peavey Classic, but man oh man, I played a Traynoy YCV50 Blue the other day, and now, I'm kinda wishing I had gotten that instead.

But I'm mostly surprised that there hasn't been a Traynor thread before.
Keeley TS808
BBE Free Fuzz
Fulltone Clyde Deluxe
MXR Carbon Copy
Peavey Classic 50
Ovation Ultra 1528

"There are only two types of rock guitarists: Jeff Beck and everyone else."
-Mio Akiyama (K-ON!)
Iceman 420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 09:00 PM   #7
HeartInACage

there has actually, but I dunno what happened to it. It had some size though.
Traynor YCS-50>EHX SMM w/ Hazarai>EHX DMM>EHX Holy Grail>EHX Small Stone>EHX Big Muff PI (NY)>EHX Pulsar>Ibanez TS-9DX>Echo Park>Ibanez Vintage Tubeking>Fulltone OCD>Zvex Fuzz Factory> Roto-Machine>Fulltone Wah>MJM London Fuzz>Fender Strat
HeartInACage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 09:06 PM   #8
sum_ugly_man

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartInACage
heyoo

i got the ycs-50.
which i like, but at times, can sound alittle brittle. Ive heard this isnt common with these amps, so im thinking its cold biasing.

at its best though, it is my DREAM tone. So yeah, on the good days i love it.

The YCS series isn't self biasing?
Old 07-09-2008, 09:39 PM   #9
weetadsftw
UG's Only TFOT Fanatic

i just got the ycs50 like last week.
loving this thing. pics later maybe.

Rig:

Charvel San Dimas Style 2 Pagan Gold
Traynor YCS50
Visual Sound H2O
Morley Bad Horsie
Ibanez TS9
ISP Decimator
EHX Metal Muff
weetadsftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 10:34 PM   #10
sum_ugly_man

Quote:
Originally Posted by weetadsftw
i just got the ycs50 like last week.
loving this thing. pics later maybe.

yes please and you just reminded me that I was to take pics of my baby blue...curse you A.D.D.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:09 PM   #11
dullsilver_mike
UG's Hotdog

I teach English

But I have to agree that I absolutely love my Traynor. I'm throwing a curveball here; I have the YBA200 tube bass amp, and it has to be the best deal in town for a tube bass amp. Of course I playthe sweetest clean guitar through that bad boy pretty often too.

I can't wait till it's time for a tube change and I get some tubes with even more clean headroom. Cleans so thick you can swim in them.
dullsilver_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 11:45 PM   #12
sum_ugly_man

Quote:
Cleans so thick you can swim in them.

But...but...I can't swim

Do you have any clips of that beast man?
Old 07-09-2008, 11:50 PM   #13
Kevin Saale
Talks to empty chairs

The blue is a bad ass amp. My f-30 just barley beat it out on sound and looks IMO. My F-30 is forest green with a tan wicker grill, it's basically puresex.

Quote:
Get three coffins ready.

My mistake, four coffins.
Kevin Saale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 01:12 AM   #14
sum_ugly_man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Saale
The blue is a bad ass amp. My f-30 just barley beat it out on sound and looks IMO. My F-30 is forest green with a tan wicker grill, it's basically puresex.

I've tried out the f-50(I think so, I can't remember correctly), and I have yet to try the f-30. I didn't really like the f-50 too much, cleans weren't as sparkly. the gain channel was amazing though, but I can't live with halfway decent cleans.
Old 07-10-2008, 01:32 AM   #15
forsaknazrael
..kupo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum_ugly_man
The YCS series isn't self biasing?

I think the circuit in YCV's, for the record, isn't exactly self-biasing, it's more so that power tubes don't need to be matched. Reincaster runs two different 6L6's in his YCV40.

Hurrah for Traynor!

BTW, in the Traynor Syndicate group, I've made a call to arms for Traynor clips. I've been linking clips from kool3040921840's profile and yours, sum_ugly_man. There's no decent clips of the YCV40 or YCV50 on Youtube or anything, adn the ones on Traynor's site (I haven't listened to them) are kinda awful.
So anything YCV owners can contribute is awesome.
I'd be recording more and pointing towards my clips, but for one thing, My Traynor is anything but stock, and I'm still fixing up my recording setup. Got my mic, though...
forsaknazrael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 02:15 AM   #16
sum_ugly_man

Hmm, clips eh? I noticed that. I always wanted to continue my "traynor YCV50 BLUE custom clip" but never got around to. I might tomorrow, seeing as how I actually have a guitar with some nice pickups in them.

But the thing is, I kinda was sleep doing things again (yes...) and according to my mom, I was sitting on my chair leaning down on the Traynor and changing the knobs...creepy ****.

So yes I have to find some other good settings for my baby blue now. but for now, i shall get back to looking for me camera.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:31 AM   #17
forsaknazrael
..kupo?

Cool. Some excellent and middy OD clips would be great. I think the YCV50 is the best production line Marshall voiced amp under a 1000 bucks, so anything that showcases that would be greatly appreciated.
forsaknazrael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 03:27 AM   #18
sum_ugly_man

Yeah it definitely has some incredible gain. I was playing a 72 goldtop les paul through it, and "**** ME ****S!" it was insane, just screaming ever so beautifully. On my LTD however, the pickups don't do the amp much justice. But still the amp is still amazing with pickups that aren't even worth 10 dollars.
Old 07-10-2008, 04:57 AM   #19
guitarist151

Guess this would be the right place to post this . How does the YCV40 compare to YCV 50? After searching around, i realised that only the YCV50 Blue gets much praise on the forums.. not much input about the other models.
guitarist151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 05:49 AM   #20
sum_ugly_man

The YCV 40 and 50 have their differences, it's not just the wattage.

The 40 is somewhat more modern voiced, has a presence knob. While the 50 is more british voiced, and has a master volume knob instead of the presence knob.

They are both really ****in' loud. Personally, I find that they are both louder than you'll need them to be, and the difference isn't that much between the two if you are asking "is the 50 THAT much louder?"

I like my 50. it has the volume knob instead of the presence which can be a pain, cause it gets kinda muddy at a really low volume but you don't have to match the channel volumes every time you make a tiny adjustment. And I liked the british voicing on the amp. But let's not end it at that, the amp does changes it's voice drastically with a tube swap. Before I bought mine, I tired one out with erm, some other tubes (I'm not a tube expert) and it had a nice chugging tone to it. And EQs and ODs can be used to further control the tone of amp.

And as for the 40, I've played it in the store several times, and it was a great amp, but I had my mind set on the blue from the first time I turned the standby off and started playing.

But man, play them both side by side if possible and you'll see the difference. They are both fantastic amps and definitely worth looking into.

Rate This Thread: