Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-17-2016, 05:00 AM   #1
cam75

First lessons expectations? *Lessons Log Added*

Ok, so go easy on me..

Ive wanted to learn guitar for years.. Im 40 now, but due "life" getting in the way it never happened. I taught myself zome theory yests ago (see my join date).

Anyway. Im going to stsrt. I found a, teacher near me and my first lesson is Tuesday. He ssked what my gosls are, which are to be able ro plsy my favorite rock/metal song for tje enjoyment and love of music.

He asked what, if anything i know. I explained what music theory i know, what i need further help with, etc.

I borrowed a, freinds acoustic guitar years ago and tsught myself a, few, chords, and mary had a, little lamb.

My question, being its, my first lessons... What should i expect the first lesson, and first few weeks, and months.

I do want to learn tje theory, but also have some fun too.

Well be meeting once a week.

Thanks

Last edited by cam75 : 01-24-2016 at 03:38 PM. Reason: Added Lesson log to title
cam75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 06:23 AM   #2
20Tigers

I've never taken lessons but having learned to play the guitar I have an idea of what I would hope to expect.

First off (you probably already know) the teacher will show you things but the real learning is done in the practicing on your own.

With that in mind I would hope that in my first lesson the teacher would go over the big picture plan and identify some realistic goals over the first six weeks and twelve weeks.

Then being my first session I would expect him to take me through a practice session showing me some fun stuff to practice for the first week. In the next couple of weeks I would expect some more specific, and structured practice structures to be put in place to develop a well rounded practice routine that is going to be challenging but also rewarding.

After that it would be a matter of monitoring progress, observing and correcting flaws, and introducing new challenging songs, techniques, and drills as I advance to keep me on track and headed toward my goals.

Also motivation, positivity, and encouragement.

But that's from a guy that has never had lessons so
Old 01-17-2016, 01:19 PM   #3
jongtr

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam75
Ok, so go easy on me..

Ive wanted to learn guitar for years.. Im 40 now, but due "life" getting in the way it never happened. I taught myself zome theory yests ago (see my join date).

Anyway. Im going to stsrt. I found a, teacher near me and my first lesson is Tuesday. He ssked what my gosls are, which are to be able ro plsy my favorite rock/metal song for tje enjoyment and love of music.

He asked what, if anything i know. I explained what music theory i know, what i need further help with, etc.

I borrowed a, freinds acoustic guitar years ago and tsught myself a, few, chords, and mary had a, little lamb.

My question, being its, my first lessons... What should i expect the first lesson, and first few weeks, and months.

Thanks
He should check how you hold the guitar, point out any potential bad habits you could develop.
He should ask you to strum the chords you know, to check your sound and your sense of time.
He might ask you to play any riffs or songs you know (as much as you can).

These kind of things will help him know where to start, and (along with your goals) to plan further lessons.

He might ask about that theory you know, and might correct a few things, but with theory always make sure you really understand anything he tells you and get him to demonstrate. Theory is pointless unless you know how it all sounds, and - even better - what songs it applies to.

He should give you something to work on before the next lesson - and then, at that lesson, check up on how you get on.

There may be times when you find him showing or telling you something that you can't connect with the goals you want to pursue. Some (bad) teachers like to follow their own agenda. He's the pro, but you're the client! Always ask whenever you're not sure about anything, or what the point of a particular exercise is (he should tell you that anyway). He should be happy to go over anything as many times as you need in order to understand it.

My tip is never leave a lesson (a) confused about anything, or (b) without something to practise for next time.
jongtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 05:08 PM   #4
cam75

Thank you for the answers

Weve already discussed a portion of this via email, so he could prepare my lesson. From the sound of it he is on the ball.

Cant wait to start on tuesday. I defienetly know I am the client, and will speak my mind regarding what I want out of it. Looking forward to bouncing questions off of him, and having someone physically show me something.

Theres only so much I can learn off reading an youtube without any personal interaction.
Old 01-18-2016, 04:00 AM   #5
Rhys Lett ESSM

Make sure it is your leisure time for the week. That lessons are an enjoyable thing you look forward to rather than dreading.

There is also no magical pill. Time, patience, persistence is key. The best thing you can do is show up regardless of how much playing you got done for the week. Some weeks you will get more playing time at home, others none! Consistently show up regardless.

Check out this article to get an understanding of the things you will learn to become a guitarist that can confidently give any songs a go at http://www.essm.net.au/how-to-learn-guitar/
Old 01-18-2016, 06:43 PM   #6
Saintp83

Hey good luck with your teacher! All teachers are going to be different so it's hard to say what to expect. Hopefully it will be from a person that you sort of click with. If you can have fun at the lessons it might help you stay motivated.
Old 01-19-2016, 06:46 AM   #7
jongtr

Also remember you may do most of your learning between lessons, as you practise what he's given you and you get you head (and ears and hands) around it.

"I forgot everything I was taught. I only remember what I learned."
Old 01-19-2016, 04:05 PM   #8
cam75

Thanks,

Im on the right track then.

Ive been practing some basic chords today, lesson is in a few hours.

Cant wait, cause I just cant get comfortable fret hand wise. To be able to fret the low strings it seem I have to contort my arm, and my back and neck are tight from being sort of hunched over.

Props to the self taught people, I think Im gonna have a tough time with a teacher.

Again. Thanks for all the insight.

Back to lurking.
Old 01-20-2016, 06:59 AM   #9
jongtr

Quote:
Cant wait, cause I just cant get comfortable fret hand wise. To be able to fret the low strings it seem I have to contort my arm, and my back and neck are tight from being sort of hunched over.
There you go. That has to be the first thing he addresses - your arm and body position - or maybe did address, if you've already had the lesson by now!
Old 01-20-2016, 08:53 AM   #10
Rhys Lett ESSM

Check out this article I did about common problems I see in beginner guitarists at http://www.essm.net.au/play-guitar/

Playing guitar is all to do with your thumb and wrist placement I believe!
Old 01-20-2016, 08:56 AM   #11
Kevštuhri
Thinking of a good title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhys Lett ESSM
Check out this article I did about common problems I see in beginner guitarists at http://www.essm.net.au/play-guitar/

Playing guitar is all to do with your thumb and wrist placement I believe!

Sometimes I feel like you're only here to advertise your site, Rhys There are some useful tips there, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jongtr
There you go. That has to be the first thing he addresses - your arm and body position - or maybe did address, if you've already had the lesson by now!

It was the first thing my first teacher fixed for me. I tried to do palm mutes with my picking hand placed above the neck pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Kevštuhri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 01:48 PM   #12
cam75

He did help me with my body position, and my strumming, which sucked. Holding pick to tight. I made my first chord progression (Em to Am). Taught me some warm ups and fretting exercises. Showed me a few power chords. Taught me how to utilize a metronome in my practice.

All in all, i enjoyed my first lesson, and I actually felt I made progess in the hour.

Thanks for the links, Ill chech them out.
Old 01-22-2016, 08:52 PM   #13
CherokeShredder
Banned

I apologize if this is a later post than what should have been posted before, but my first lessons ever were pretty decent. It gave me the inspiration and desire and want to learn more about guitar, bass, keyboards/vocals, music, etc. One should NOT expect to be able to learn everything that very first time, though. I can't tell ya how many of my former students (tutor in music and all) expected me to teach them all the advanced and technical stuff when they've NEVER held a guitar before even. With time and practice spent, and even planning and effort, one will eventually get to the later stuff. Just don't be put off if you can't learn many things right off the bat. Hope this helps
CherokeShredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 06:16 AM   #14
Sean0913
Music Theory Life-Hacker

It's hard to say what you should epect. All teachers are different, and some use a book that you buy and start you on page 1 that day, so you do that.

Others like myself dont use books at all, but we dig into what's most meaningful to you and your goals, and then start teaching you some skill sets, techniques, exercises (also those may be different).

Being 40, no one's going to come down on you, I'm 47 - many here are over 30. 95% of my online students are over the age of 30. Never too late my friend.

But, I have a bit of advice. Keep this thread open, and post like a running journal of what they are teaching you, each week, and that way we could help assure you if they are teaching you well or if it is haphazard and random or if there are any red flags.

I'd advise keep both eyes wide open, listen to your gut, but keep an open mind and give something at least a month and then evaluate it as a whole. Starting from zero takes time, and it's no ones fault, its just familiarity with the instrument, and your hands responding to the point of being comfortably in muscle memory with a change or a strum, etc. Realistically, expect to give it time.

We can chime in and opine on the actual direction of the lessons if you post a chronicle of the lessons as they come.

Best,

Sean

Quote:
Ok, so go easy on me..

Thanks
Sean0913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 03:43 PM   #15
cam75

Sean,

Awesome advice. I updated the thread title. Ill keep a log of my lessons, and add a new post each week. Next lesson Tuesday.

Would appreciate any advice on where lessons should head.

My teacher doesnt use a book, taylors lessons to each student.
Old 01-25-2016, 11:49 PM   #16
CherokeShredder
Banned

Very interesting on that. Lot of teachers are starting to do that now, though. Did the teacher say at all what he would try to start teaching you, by any chance?
Old 01-26-2016, 04:22 PM   #17
viennasunsetb

I always lay the basic foundations of the primary chords and most important fingerings before moving on to anything secondary. Most important is to establish good rapport early on. MAke them a tea!
viennasunsetb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 01:24 AM   #18
Rhys Lett ESSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevštuhri
Sometimes I feel like you're only here to advertise your site, Rhys There are some useful tips there, though.

Just a quick and easy way to give answers, also easier with photos there as well. On this thread tho certain seems like I am shilling away our site!!
Old 01-27-2016, 03:20 AM   #19
CherokeShredder
Banned

Hey, friendly ads aren't so bad :P
Old 01-27-2016, 01:20 PM   #20
Sean0913
Music Theory Life-Hacker

Quote:
He did help me with my body position, and my strumming, which sucked. Holding pick to tight. I made my first chord progression (Em to Am). Taught me some warm ups and fretting exercises. Showed me a few power chords. Taught me how to utilize a metronome in my practice.

All in all, i enjoyed my first lesson, and I actually felt I made progess in the hour.

Thanks for the links, Ill chech them out.

Seems like a lot, to be honest. I'm having some question as to how you can achieve any substantial progress with all those topics in just one hour, much less the first lesson.

I'm for correcting your body position, giving you some rudimentary instruction on strumming (not picking...I'd wait on that..let you work on one core element, rather than dividing your time) I don't see that Em to Am is a good first progression, simply because there's no common transition...is there a song connected to this, or is it an abstract exercise? There are better first chords, and a great first song, and it facilitates not only playing and fretting both chords, but also the changing of them, making songs more available.

I wouldn't show you power chords, until I was applying them to a song I was teaching you - for example Iron Man, or SOTW, etc.

I'm good with warm ups. My impression of your first lesson's content, as a full time guitar instructor, and this is entirely subjective, and by no means is it absolute, or correct...is that it's a potpourri of things without any apparent organization to it.

I don't think you can teach someone to practice with a metronome in one lesson. I wouldn't even try it. I'd divide it out over some weeks, in class with hands on teaching and demonstrating and having them play along with me by learning through imitation what being on time sounds and feels like.

Its challenging enough having someone count slowly to 4 the first time they are exposed to musical time keeping, much less feel and sync to an unforgiving click. Teaching metronome skills is a pretty involved process, and can take months before someone is comfortably on their own doing so.

Best,

Sean

Last edited by Sean0913 : 01-27-2016 at 01:21 PM.
Sean0913 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: