Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-09-2014, 07:05 PM   #1
danyal92

Cant get the "feel" in my playing

I have been playing for quite some time now. However, i just cant get the "feel" when i am covering a song. Its just sounds sort of mechanical. Can anyone help me?

Ive posted the link as an example.

http://picosong.com/9fvi/
danyal92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:15 PM   #2
tyle12

some of the notes in the beginning were off time. try to be more "loose" with your bends. Don't just try to get the bend done and move onto the next note. Try to ease it and make the transition a little smoother.
tyle12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 11:58 PM   #3
rickyvanh

I think it might be pretty hard to play something accurately over a backing track and not sound mechanical. Listen to how mechanical those tracks sound before you add guitars. Your technique sounds pretty good.
rickyvanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 03:27 AM   #4
djsdabest

I think you would benefit from adding more vibrato to the bends and some of the longer held notes, other than that your technique sounds pretty good.
Feel sometimes just comes with experience, as others have said try to make the notes flow into one another as opposed to treating them as individual notes, particularly with the bends.
djsdabest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 03:28 AM   #5
Jimjambanx

You're trying to hard to play it the same way Jimmy did. You're never going to get feel if you just let the solo tell you what to do and stick %100 to the script. You have to take some creative control.
Jimjambanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 07:37 AM   #6
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

as tyle12 said, your timing was off in parts there

use more vibrato on bent notes and just in general (IMO, others may disagree)

i'd also maybe say be more loose with the timing a little bit, but i'd say you need to get the timing down right before you try that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Blackstar can blow me; dodgey ****ers.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 08:10 PM   #7
danyal92

Thanks, alot guys. Ill heed your advice, timing sadly has always been an issue for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjambanx
You're trying to hard to play it the same way Jimmy did. You're never going to get feel if you just let the solo tell you what to do and stick %100 to the script. You have to take some creative control.

I know man I heard the way page played it note to note and i sort of "immitate" it. Im just afraid ill go out of time way to much if i "do my own thing" . Im really confused when it comes to this.
Old 09-11-2014, 05:01 AM   #8
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

I wouldn't try to do your own thing before you can imitate the way page does it. this is probably not directly analogous, but I wouldn't try to write a novel if i'd never read one before.

Quote:

Old 09-11-2014, 12:07 PM   #9
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
as tyle12 said, your timing was off in parts there

use more vibrato on bent notes and just in general (IMO, others may disagree)

i'd also maybe say be more loose with the timing a little bit, but i'd say you need to get the timing down right before you try that.

This. I think it is the timing that makes your playing sound kind of "meaningless". It is not accurate enough and it's not loose enough (or it is loose but in a wrong way). It kind of sounds like you are just trying to play the right notes. Try to listen to how Jimmy plays it. Try to mimic him. Don't just play the right notes - there's more to music than just the right notes.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 02:30 PM   #10
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

^ Yeah, bang on. There's a quote around (maybe satriani) along the lines of "there's a difference between feeling loose and being loose" (something like that, i think i saw it in someone's sig), and that's about the height of it. There's a massive difference between being loose in a musical way (i.e. not sounding mechanical or robotic) and just having poor timing.

It's kind of the difference between the different levels of competence, too. If you have poor timing you want to fix that to get to have good timing. Once you have good timing you can then play with the timing a little bit to sound more musical.

it's like if someone can't read, you don't worry about putting feeling into things they read out loud, you learn how to read first. once you can read, though, you try to lose that monotone.

you're trying to get the feel before you've got the timing, and I'm not sure that's the right approach.

I also don't mean this to sound harsh, so i apologise if that's the way it comes off. I was pretty lucky, timing always came pretty naturally to me (I think ), I'm certainly not saying I religiously practised it for hours or anything like that.

Quote:

Last edited by Dave_Mc : 09-11-2014 at 02:31 PM.
Old 09-12-2014, 04:39 AM   #11
steven seagull
not really a seagull

Pay attention to your breathing, the stairway solo is quite conversational - if you compare the parts to somebody speaking you can see how the breaks between them equate to pausing for breath. That also means there needs to be some coherence and flow to those discrete sections. Think about when you were at school, you could talk all day long but the moment you got asked to stand up and read to the class you started sounding like a robot. That's because you didn't know exactly what it was you were supposed to be saying, you were reacting on the fly and don't always get it right because you don't know exactly how you should be pacing the sentence and inflecting until you reach the end of it.

This is no different, but you need to be completely familiar with the sounds you're trying to replicate as well as having the technical ability to be able to play things correctly. If you recall that solo perfectly from memory and can sing or hum it without hearing the original then you're in the right place. Without that level of familiarity with a piece it's pretty much impossible to learn to play it. You can't sing a song if you don't already know the words, have you ever tried singing a completely unknown song at karaoke? It's impossible, and having the words there on screen makes next to no difference. Trying to play a song without first knowing it is pretty much the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
steven seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 02:52 PM   #12
reverb66

Quote:
Originally Posted by danyal92
I have been playing for quite some time now. However, i just cant get the "feel" when i am covering a song. Its just sounds sort of mechanical. Can anyone help me?

Ive posted the link as an example.

http://picosong.com/9fvi/

Feel is timing and articulation - but mostly timing. Start practicing with a metronome as follows -:

1) pick a speed and time sig- 90 bpm 4/4 for instance. tap your foot to each click

2) play 4 whole notes

3) play 2 half notes

4) play 4 quarter notes

5) play 8 8th notes

6) play 12 triplets

7) play 16 16th notes

repeat etc etc. drill this into your head through repetition. If you don't understand what any of that means - learn it. The point of the exercise is to internalise the different rhythms to a pulse of quarter notes. It may be annoying, but it'll help.
reverb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 03:25 PM   #13
Arron_Zacx

Personally, I think a large part of playing with feeling is technique. While technique isn't the only component, it's definitely a major part. In the audio clip, your timing is off in a couple places, you'll need to fix that up first then see what else is off.
Arron_Zacx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 03:59 PM   #14
Cajundaddy

Lots of really good input so far.

All the pieces of the puzzle are in there. Now to just fit them together so they sound like you mean it. Most of the issues are timing related and that comes with practice and experience. Some notes need to be bang-on and others have more discretionary freedom. Knowing the difference is the key.

When I am covering Jimi, SRV, or Santana there is a ton of stank these guys put on every note and phrase. You can't really express it in notation or tabs very well. I often think "saxophone" or or just having a conversation with the listener. The sax really owns phrasing with emotion and feel. I hope this helps.

“Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It’s the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use.” - SRV
Cajundaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 08:18 PM   #15
danyal92

@ Dave_Mc
That's the approach im going for, first i want to nail the original version before improvising.
@steven seagull

Thanks alot for the input. I can actually humm or "sing" the solo, i always do that but i just kind of go into my "zone" i just loose track of the drums. Im working on that.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:19 PM   #16
danyal92

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverb66
Feel is timing and articulation - but mostly timing. Start practicing with a metronome as follows -:

1) pick a speed and time sig- 90 bpm 4/4 for instance. tap your foot to each click

2) play 4 whole notes

3) play 2 half notes

4) play 4 quarter notes

5) play 8 8th notes

6) play 12 triplets

7) play 16 16th notes

repeat etc etc. drill this into your head through repetition. If you don't understand what any of that means - learn it. The point of the exercise is to internalise the different rhythms to a pulse of quarter notes. It may be annoying, but it'll help.

This is exactly what I need, im good with technique but the thing is that I never really understood how to use a metronome or what 16th notes or similar are. It's like it goes over my head. Im searching lessons on it these days btw.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:21 PM   #17
danyal92

Thanks alot for all your input guys. I don't know what the main problem is. I mostly play metal so in the link below the timing is fine but the feel is a little "ekh"

And in this one (a blues solo) the timing kind of goes off because the backing track was extended but the feel is "dead". I never really liked what I did here:

Old 09-12-2014, 08:45 PM   #18
Cajundaddy

I'd say in both of those solos you are often behind the beat. Try tapping your foot and let the beat of the rhythm connect with your heart. Like this guy:

“Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It’s the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use.” - SRV
Cajundaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 10:18 PM   #19
Arron_Zacx

Yeah, timing sounds a bit off in both videos. And really polishing up the technique will help a lot. Being unable to play a solo right/cleanly/right as in messing it up or unable to play up to speed can really mess up your timing. For example being unable to play a fast lick may cause to you be behind and you end up rushing the other parts or playing licks too fast leaves you too much space in between making your solo sound kinda empty.
Arron_Zacx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 06:31 AM   #20
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Yeah your chops seem pretty good but the feel not so much. Work on your vibrato more, that's not helping (though isn't the only problem and isn't a panacea either). Also consider sliding down at the end of a phrase. Actually try to have phrases, too- you're playing a lot of notes which aren't really technically wrong (talking about the second vid here), but it sort of sounds like there's no real aim to what you're playing. It doesn't really go anywhere.

Again, this might not be 100% analogous, but you're like an actor who knows his lines 100% but sounds like he/she is reading a script rather than acting. That's kind of what the problem is. And unfortunately it's very difficult (at least for an amateur like me, maybe a real teacher would be better able to help ) to teach "feel".

EDIT: Again, I apologise if that sounds harsh, that's not my intention. Just you asked what we thought was wrong, and you don't seem to know from your posts, so I told you what (in my opinion) is wrong, in the hope that that means you'll be able to fix it.

I'd also say as well, just listen to a bunch of solos from players who are known to have killer feel.

Quote:

Last edited by Dave_Mc : 09-13-2014 at 06:32 AM.

Rate This Thread: