User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-03-2014, 01:39 AM   #1
Jet Penguin
Musical Chaos Theorist

EMBRACE THE CHAOS: The UG Exquisite Corpse Project Mk. 1

COME ON IN, THERE BE COMPOSING AHEAD!

Welcome! I am Jet Penguin, your resident host/referee/sub-clinical psychopath, and I would like to welcome you to our latest little project (and hopefully the first of many): An Exquisite Corpse!

inb4 Jet's getting all necrophilious again

Jet, What in Bach's name is an Exquisite Corpse!?

An Exquisite Corpse is a group composition where each member is only responsible for a piece of it, a collective process where chaos is the name of the game.

That's....cool..I guess...How does it work?

It's simple! We're gonna follow these easy steps:

1. Grab a bunch of composers
2. Draw straws to determine an arbitrary order of participation
3. Arbitrarily assign certain parameters to the project, and an amount of bars for each participant

4. The first composer will create any music they wish (lucky) filling the required amount of bars with whatever they think sounds good; they can write anything they want.

5. This composer hands the music off to the referee (the handsome and witty Jet), who then gives it to the next composer, who continues the piece for their allotted duration.

6. Here comes the catch. Each composer is only allowed to see the final few moments of the previous composer's work. EVERYTHING else is a total mystery. That's all you get to go off of.

7. We repeat steps 5 & 6 until we run out of players. The last player will be informed they are responsible for the ending, so the tune doesn't just stop.

Amazing! How can I play? What do we do? Are there more rules?

-Sign up by letting me know and I'll randomize the names when we have enough and we can start playing!

-I am open to suggestions about a good number of bars, and any other parameters we want to agree on. Normally the only other set one is tempo, in order to create at least some kind of flow to hold things together.

-There are no rules musically, everything is fair game.

-The time limit for this will be semi-long term, because we all cannot compose at once. I will give everyone a reasonable time limit, and if you run out of time and aren't done, your half-finished music WILL be used (unworked bars will be edited out, purposeful silence and rests will be left in)

What do I have to send in to the Ref?

As far as the logistics go, I see two options:

1. People can record the music and send it to me, and I'll chop it up in the DAW and edit appropriately.

2. People without access to recording/sequencing equipment can write out good ol' sheet music with instructions, and I will sequence it my DAW. This way the final mixdown will be coherent across all tracks, but more importantly:

EVERYONE can play, even if you do not have recording equipment!

It will be fun, good, bad, hilarious, chaotic, emotional, but most importantly INTERESTING.

Sign up and get in on this, and we can show UG that MT is actually capable of teamwork for once.

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp

Last edited by Jet Penguin : 10-03-2014 at 02:04 AM.
Jet Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 01:41 AM   #2
Jet Penguin
Musical Chaos Theorist

This is a shameless double post to keep track of the festivities, and to organize the pending insanity.

List of Victims....I Mean Players

1. Crazy Sam, The Craziest of Samuels, and the Radiance of His Burning Face and Disco Sprites

2. 20Tigers, Master of Vigesimal Predatory Felidae, Solitary yet Social, Endangered yet Deadly

3. Golden Guitar, The Academic, a Doctoral Dissertator of Daunting Discussable Data

4. Elintasokas, Sus Scrofa, Ancestor of Pigs, the Tusked One, Food for Tiger, Last of the Finns.

5. Duaneclapdrix, The Trinity, the Young Gun, Schooled from Home, Friend of Monkeys

6. RonaldPoe, Wielder of the Keyblade, Lexicological Lineman, Slayer of the Seven Evil Exes.

7. Sean0913, The Erudite Sage, Practitioner of the Mystic Art of Multidirectional Waveform Transfer

8. The4thHorsemen, Death Himself, the Pale Rider, Harbinger of The Final Cadence

9. MapOfYourHead, The Big Boxer From Belfast, Proliferator of Pure Filler, Holder of Belts.

10. MaggaraMarine, Slapper of Basses, The Penultimate Finn, Amphibiously Deployed

11. Mjones1992, The Philadelphian, Wanderer of The Land of Eternal Sun, Cheesesteak Samurai

The Parameters

I'm gonna give everyone UP to 16 bars of 4/4 at Quarter Note = 130.

That comes out to about 30 seconds of music for each player.

If you are hell-bent on changing time sigs keep it to 30 seconds, so 16 bars of 4, 12 bars of 5, etc.

THE ORDER OF THE SURVIVORS

1. Ronald Poe (The intro is all you, my friend)

2. 20Tigers

3. The4thHorsemen

4. MaggaraMarine

5. Duaneclapdrix

6. MapOfYourHead

7. Mjones1992

8. Elintasokas

9. Lersch

10. Golden Guitar (You have to write an ending, be warned!)

UPDATE:

Sorry everyone, I goofed and sent the file to the wrong person, I have changed the order, switching the places of 20T and Duane in order to preserve the game and suprise. My apologies. 20T is second now, Duane is up 6th.

UPDATE OVER

Alright that's everyone. Ronald Poe is up first, so write your music and flip it to me when it's done. I'm gonna give everyone a reasonable amount of time

(A few days max? I dunno what your lives are like)

But ASAP is always nice. If you can do it in a day go for it, and just PM it to me as soon as you are finished so I can inform your successor.

Good Luck, and Have Fun!

Last edited by Jet Penguin : 11-20-2014 at 04:37 PM.
Old 10-03-2014, 01:57 AM   #3
crazysam23_Atax
Feuergesicht

Any instrumentation rules?

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 02:02 AM   #4
Jet Penguin
Musical Chaos Theorist

Nope, I'm actually looking forward to the inevitability of a scorching guitar solo abruptly changing to a choir and string quartet. Part of the game is effectively making a completely insane transition somewhat believable.

I would probably recommend less instruments (<6), a full orchestra is probably overkill for this.

That being said, if I need to wind up sequencing other people's writing, they should be warned my orchestral instrument sounds are lame. I have synths for days though.

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp

Last edited by Jet Penguin : 10-03-2014 at 02:04 AM.
Old 10-03-2014, 02:08 AM   #5
crazysam23_Atax
Feuergesicht

Fair enough, that means VSTi's are fair game, seeing as how my physical instruments aren't at my hotel. Sign me up.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 02:10 AM   #6
Jet Penguin
Musical Chaos Theorist

Duly noted. Welcome to the club.

Old 10-03-2014, 02:14 AM   #7
20Tigers

In.
Old 10-03-2014, 02:16 AM   #8
Jet Penguin
Musical Chaos Theorist

Roger that.

Old 10-03-2014, 03:42 AM   #9
GoldenGuitar

In! Please don't give it to me before November. I've got a thesis due in the following weeks. D:

Last edited by GoldenGuitar : 10-03-2014 at 04:43 AM.
GoldenGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 08:42 AM   #10
Elintasokas
Sus Scrofa

In. Great idea.
Elintasokas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 10:52 AM   #11
Jet Penguin
Musical Chaos Theorist

Consider yourselves added, and enjoy your Epithets.

Old 10-03-2014, 11:47 AM   #12
Duaneclapdrix
Needs to wash his hair...

I'm in.

I just love dead bodies

Soundcloud
https://soundcloud.com/duaneclapdrix
Duaneclapdrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 12:34 PM   #13
RonaldPoe

I don't like the idea ... I love it. I'd like to add one of my piano parts and go nuts. Please let me join and tell me when this thing starts.

Super Buu (DBZ) on assimilation (it could also apply to blues guitar and guitar soloing in general).
RonaldPoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 12:41 PM   #14
Jet Penguin
Musical Chaos Theorist

I was about to be like "THEN GO AWAY THIS IS WHY MT IS BROKE"

Then I read the rest. Welcome aboard Mr. Poe.

Old 10-03-2014, 01:09 PM   #15
Sean0913
Music Theory Renegade

Interesting idea. So, can I compose my bars on something like GP or power tab with manuscript, and submit those that way?

Are we talking single lines, or more ensemble/compositionally based?

Best,

Sean

An Online, Theory Based Guitar School

Stuck? I Mentor Guitar Players for Free.

If you are interested in the Academy, I offer a free Skype-based Demo. Just contact me on my profile, and we can work out the times.
Sean0913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 01:19 PM   #16
Elintasokas
Sus Scrofa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean0913
Interesting idea. So, can I compose my bars on something like GP or power tab with manuscript, and submit those that way?

Are we talking single lines, or more ensemble/compositionally based?

Best,

Sean

I'm pretty sure it's entire ensemble parts. A piece of a song like you'd normally compose.
Elintasokas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 01:29 PM   #17
Jet Penguin
Musical Chaos Theorist

Yeah, Elintasokas has it. There's no rules per se. You could do a passage of solo guitar, or a full rock band, or a drum solo or string quartet, anything goes.

If you stick it in GP and flip it to me Sean, I can sequence it with my DAW and record/overdub the guitar/bass tracks myself if need be.

As long as you don't write anything impossible, that is. I should be able to tackle most anything, but I'm not a virtuoso yet!

Last edited by Jet Penguin : 10-03-2014 at 01:40 PM.
Old 10-03-2014, 02:12 PM   #18
Sean0913
Music Theory Renegade

In

Best,

Sean

An Online, Theory Based Guitar School

Stuck? I Mentor Guitar Players for Free.

If you are interested in the Academy, I offer a free Skype-based Demo. Just contact me on my profile, and we can work out the times.
Sean0913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 02:14 PM   #19
Jet Penguin
Musical Chaos Theorist

Cool, I'll add you to the roster. I figure I'll give people a weekend day to sign up just in case, and either sometime tomorrow or Sunday we can get the ball rolling.

I know people are busy so I don't want to blow through the sign up process and leave the enthused behind.

Last edited by Jet Penguin : 10-03-2014 at 02:19 PM.
Old 10-03-2014, 02:25 PM   #20
RonaldPoe

I was thinking maybe we could use 8 bars per part because I find it to be just enough room to say something interesting and an overall good measurement. What do you think?

To Sean, I know you debate a lot but am glade to work with you. I'd also love to see what you're music sounds like.

Honestly I could provide a nice starting point right now, if you want.

Super Buu (DBZ) on assimilation (it could also apply to blues guitar and guitar soloing in general).
RonaldPoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: