Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-29-2014, 08:26 PM   #1
Quazzar

Now what!! Stuck

I've been practicing guitar now for the last 3 years...I'm a older gentleman so it's taking me a little time to get my speed up and fingers moving fast (Classic Rock). I know all the pentatonic patterns and can pick pretty fast up and down the neck but it just sounds blahhhh not very melodic, I can hit some pretty nice licks but I need to learn the next step to making my solo melodic...what should I study to add to my solo's...arpeggio's I read alot on but havent quiet tried them...If I'm shredding up the neck with a fast solo what can I add to the pentatonic scales that Im using...Thanks in advanced
Quazzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 08:48 PM   #2
GuitarMunky
I play guitar n stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quazzar
I've been practicing guitar now for the last 3 years...I'm a older gentleman so it's taking me a little time to get my speed up and fingers moving fast (Classic Rock). I know all the pentatonic patterns and can pick pretty fast up and down the neck but it just sounds blahhhh not very melodic, I can hit some pretty nice licks but I need to learn the next step to making my solo melodic...what should I study to add to my solo's...arpeggio's I read alot on but havent quiet tried them...If I'm shredding up the neck with a fast solo what can I add to the pentatonic scales that Im using...Thanks in advanced

Learn some solos.

Otherwise your just mechanically piecing together random ideas, which tends to sound blahhh and not very melodic.

If you like classic rock, there are tons of solos to learn.
GuitarMunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:19 PM   #3
Sean0913
Music Theory Renegade

Quote:

I'd suggest that you work to understand and apply music more.

You fit the profile of what I consider a "carpetbombing" guitarist. You might know a scale and throw as many notes as you can in a at a progression, and sometimes some of them hit. So, they don't sound bad, but they don't really sound inspiring or "right" either.

If my read is right, then yes, you'll be living in a rut.

My thoughts are, that if you know the notes in any chords that you are playing, and if you know every note on the fretboard instantly...for example, if you're playing at the 3rd string 8th fret, do you know that note? How quickly? You should be able to identify it as an Eb within a half second or less. And say you are playing a Hendrix jam like tune and there's a C min chord coming up ala "All Along the Watchtower"

If you know your chords, and you know Cm has an Eb in it, and the change is coming....so you decide to target your phrase to nail the minor 3rd....hit Eb on the moment that Cm plays, and sustain it, and now you are using a knowledge of music to seamlessly effect a solo, that's on the chord tones of the progression. If you use some "outside" chords, you haven't lost yourself, because you can then play a chord tone that's in that outside chord, and sound awesome and like a genius.

That might be the next stage of your evolution...

Best,

Sean

An Online, Theory Based Guitar School

Stuck? I Mentor Guitar Players for Free.

If you are interested in the Academy, I offer a free Skype-based Demo. Just contact me on my profile, and we can work out the times.
Sean0913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:22 PM   #4
Black_devils

Quote:

Start transcribing solos absorb the musical phrases they're using then implement it into your playing.
Black_devils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 04:16 PM   #5
Quazzar

Thanks for the tip, Sean Im gonna sign up on the site this week and try it out..I've studied alot of theory and understand alot of it but havent put alot of into use. modes, cage, Im looking forward to learning with some practice to go with it. Thanks alot
Old 07-30-2014, 04:18 PM   #6
Quazzar

Guitarmunky, black_devils I will be getting back to learning solo's again..I think I got frustrated about a year ago with alot of them being to hard once I got to a certain part, but that was a while back and my technique and speed have doubled since then...Thanks again
Old 07-30-2014, 04:19 PM   #7
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarMunky
Learn some solos.

If you like classic rock, there are tons of solos to learn.

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_devils
Start transcribing solos absorb the musical phrases they're using then implement it into your playing.

I'd just get the tabs at the start. I'm not sure working them out from the get-go is the best approach, learn first, then start trying to work out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: