Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-08-2014, 09:06 PM   #1
mattousley

Is it better to practice in portions or wholes?

I practice now the things im working on for 10-20 minutes a piece like scales or a lick im having trouble with or chords just whatever i feel needs work i practice it for a portion of my practice time. Is it better to do it that way or just focusing the whole practice time on one thing thing like 2 hours just practicing one lick or just whatever im practicing??
mattousley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 02:29 AM   #2
thedyslexialove

I find I need about 20-40 minutes to get really warmed up then anything I play after that really sticks and I can do it well so I usually like to play for maybe 90-120 minutes then take a break for a couple hours then come back for about the same amount of time and that really works. I've never tried doing like six 20 minute sessions before though so it could just be personal preference

EDIT
I reread your question and I see you mean one specific scale or lick and as to that it all depends on the difficulty. If you're trying something totally new like sweeping it might take an hour and a half session to put in the practice but for a normal scale or lick it shouldn't take more than 20 minutes anyway

My Band Page

Last edited by thedyslexialove : 09-09-2014 at 02:32 AM.
thedyslexialove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 10:28 AM   #3
reverb66

play it till you get it. No point in playing a entire sequence if you can't get the start right.
reverb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 10:33 AM   #4
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

^ yeah it really depends. you need to be able to play the whole thing, and eventually you'd want to play/practise it from start to finish, but at the same time if a piece is, say, 5 minutes long and there's a 5 second bit you're struggling with (while you can play the rest perfectly) it doesn't make much sense to play the whole thing through, you need to get the bit you're struggling with down. and it's a lot more efficient if you just practise the bit you're struggling with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Blackstar can blow me; dodgey ****ers.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 06:42 AM   #5
HazelTran

better to play until you get the idea
HazelTran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:19 PM   #6
Jet Penguin
That Zen Guitarist

Definitely portions.

I've learned things that were impossible for my skill level by playing them one note at a time, end to beginning, at 25 BPM.

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
Jet Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:30 PM   #7
Elintasokas
Registered Wild Boar

Portions. Try to practice a little (preferably a lot) of everything. I always end up practicing scales and chords for like 4 hours XD It takes a while to play every scale/chord in thirds, sixths, arpeggios, every inversion through the whole keyboard, rootless voicings, 2 handed etc. and all that for both hands.

That's one thing where guitar wins. You can use the same pattern by just sliding it up and down the next. With piano, every chord and every inversion is its own pattern and that means hundreds of patterns to memorize.

Last edited by Elintasokas : 09-16-2014 at 08:38 PM.
Elintasokas is online now   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: