Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-28-2008, 09:14 PM   #41
jessexxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by yocomobebes
Im looking at maybe gettin the XXX as my next amp to replace my VK, and i was wondering if an eq pedal would help with the brightness of the XXX at all? Or maybe putting darker sounding tubes in it would help? Thanks.

yes,..an eq in the loop is a big help on the xxx...it would be an even bigger help for your valve king.
jessexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 10:15 PM   #42
patriotplayer90

How can I get my XXX to sound less harsh and bright sounding? I like to use alot of treble, but it seems when i turn it up its just way to harsh, and the sharpness of the attack suffers from this.

Would some JJ 6l6's do the trick?
patriotplayer90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 10:21 PM   #43
jessexxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotplayer90
How can I get my XXX to sound less harsh and bright sounding? I like to use alot of treble, but it seems when i turn it up its just way to harsh, and the sharpness of the attack suffers from this.

dont turn your gain past 12 oclock,..some people swear by el34's in a xxx....thou it goes againts logic for what they say it produces,...check out the peavey web site...there is a bunch of excellent advice there on how to tone down the beast!

good luck
Old 07-28-2008, 10:38 PM   #44
IbanezPsycho

Mine has 6l6's in it and and if you check out the top two clips you can go from bright to dark very easily...
Old 07-30-2008, 01:34 PM   #45
yoyodunno
Tanned

I've got el34's in my triple xxx, and its not too hard to eq it to be a little darker. Also adding an od like the badmonkey i have helps a huge amount.
(")_(")
My youtube

Flickr
yoyodunno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 02:47 PM   #46
beadhangingOne
Gnomesaiyan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotplayer90

You could turn your bass and mids up a little since it has active eq's.

The Spirit shall look out through Matter's gaze
And Matter shall reveal the Spirit's face.
beadhangingOne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 06:16 PM   #47
jessexxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyodunno
I've got el34's in my triple xxx, and its not too hard to eq it to be a little darker. Also adding an od like the badmonkey i have helps a huge amount.

did you have the stock 616's in it previously??....just curiuos about the tone and gain change...
Old 07-30-2008, 06:34 PM   #48
yoyodunno
Tanned

No i didn't have 6L6's in it before lol. I might possibly try them in the future, but i get a good tone as it is now so i don't see a reason to change.
(")_(")
My youtube

Flickr
Old 08-04-2008, 09:19 PM   #49
injected

Soon to be proud owner of an Ultra Plus 120 head here !!

and a B52 AT412 cab to go with it
injected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 07:16 PM   #50
Led man32
Greatest guitarist ever

What would be the best type of cabinet to use with a JSX head. If I were playing mostly rock, metal, but at the same time a nice clean sound. I have heard that peavey cabinets were not to great.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:21 PM   #51
papersun87
Flying Sand

Quote:
Originally Posted by papersun87
You Peavey Ultra owners . . . where and for how much did you get yours for? Is the "Crunch" channel similar to the Crunch channel on the JSX?

Bumping my question from earlier . . .
papersun87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 07:34 PM   #52
jessexxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led man32
What would be the best type of cabinet to use with a JSX head. If I were playing mostly rock, metal, but at the same time a nice clean sound. I have heard that peavey cabinets were not to great.

i went through a cabinet quest for my xxx

heres what i tried (all 4x12's)

-marshall 1960
-marshall mode 4
-genz benz g-flex
-krank
-fender
-mesa standard
-recto
-peavey xxx

the recto cabs are by far the best cabs for this amp (imho),...i was getting to the point of considering selling my xxx until i tried/got the recto cabs....completely eliminated all the fizz,...the note definition is outstanding,...amazing combo....seriously give it a try!!...you'll be very very happy.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:54 PM   #53
IbanezPsycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessexxx
i went through a cabinet quest for my xxx

heres what i tried (all 4x12's)

-marshall 1960
-marshall mode 4
-genz benz g-flex
-krank
-fender
-mesa standard
-recto
-peavey xxx

the recto cabs are by far the best cabs for this amp (imho),...i was getting to the point of considering selling my xxx until i tried/got the recto cabs....completely eliminated all the fizz,...the note definition is outstanding,...amazing combo....seriously give it a try!!...you'll be very very happy.

What powertubes are you running in your Triple? Might be looking for a speaker change down the line as well..
Old 08-06-2008, 08:05 PM   #54
jessexxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezPsycho
What powertubes are you running in your Triple? Might be looking for a speaker change down the line as well..

there the stock 6l6's,....i was going to try the el34 swap but right now i am so happy with my sound i think i will stick with them!!!....(didn't you do the el34 swap??)

i may try some jj's in the near future............................................ definatley try a recto cab....i am willing to bet you will fall in love with it...
Old 08-06-2008, 09:24 PM   #55
Tensorspencer

JSX settings for chunky metal tone with smooth leads.
Treble: 6
Mids: 6.5
Bass: 6
Presence cranked to 9 and resonance at about 7.

I use this setting in drop B tunning for a really chunky tone for breakdowns, and still capable of nice leads because of the mids.
Keep in mind this is with KT77 tubes not EL34's.
Mesa Traditional cab w/ v30's
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded
Tensorspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 09:38 PM   #56
mexican_shred
P-QRS-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyodunno
Haha, aren't you the only one that can put the thumbs down?

I don't know maybe the JSX i played was super saturated because of the EMG's in the guitar i was playing.

the jsx doenst like active pups for some off reason. Mine shined with clarity on ultra with evos, tone zone and sd JB
Old 08-06-2008, 10:05 PM   #57
IbanezPsycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessexxx
there the stock 6l6's,....i was going to try the el34 swap but right now i am so happy with my sound i think i will stick with them!!!....(didn't you do the el34 swap??)

i may try some jj's in the near future............................................ definatley try a recto cab....i am willing to bet you will fall in love with it...

Cool, mine are 6l6's as well... that's why I was wondering. Im still warming up to el34's I don't really like insanely bright amps so I avoid them. Thats one reason I like Peaveys so much.

Yea and actually I have been wanting to try one because it should give me that dark tone im after and smooth things out a bit. But I haven't been able to find a Ultra or XXX and Mesa cab all in the same store to test it. Post up some clips when get get everything setup would love to hear it.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:11 PM   #58
ironman1478

woo hoo i just won a peavey ultra 112 on ebay. i cant freaking wait. just a question though. if i turned up the master volume and turned down the channel volume could i get enough powertube saturation to play classic rock/blues
ironman1478 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 10:25 PM   #59
yoyodunno
Tanned

Nice man ^^. I'm not sure about your question but depending on the channel you'd need at least some preamp gain to play classic rock.
(")_(")
My youtube

Flickr
Old 08-07-2008, 10:50 AM   #60
Johnbryant
Tubes=The Sex

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironman1478
woo hoo i just won a peavey ultra 112 on ebay. i cant freaking wait. just a question though. if i turned up the master volume and turned down the channel volume could i get enough powertube saturation to play classic rock/blues

To simply answer your question, no, but truning the Master way up to atleast 3:00 will give the amp a lot fuller more balls to wall type tone with less fizz, if your ultra is any thing like my Triple XXX you will love it set this way. The Ultras are supose to have less gain than the Triple XXX on the Crunch channel, or so I thought. But regardless the best way to get a more classic pre jcm 800 tone is to dial your gain way down, then turn your all eqs to 9:00 and adjust from there. I think people often for get that the Ultra series all have active eqs and if you wish to treat like a more classic amp to should not turn your eqs past 12:00, doing this really takes out a lot of the amps balzyness and really tones it down. I think people who say these amps are incapeable of classic rock don't understand the Active Eq, and are treating it like a traditional amp. I agree there are better amps for classic rock, but these amps can pull it off with ease if know how to Eq it right.

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
Johnbryant is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: