Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-07-2008, 01:46 PM   #61
bjovi400
UG's Sarcastic Private

Location: On a US Government military installation blowing shit up
guys i need some help here,

http://cgi.ebay.com/Peavey-Triple-X...86.c0.m14.l1318

is this the 60w? or is it the 40? it says 60wRMS so im assuming it is the 60, but then again i have no idea what RMS means.

If i bid on it, how high do you guys think it'll go to??
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is ****ing nuts"
bjovi400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 02:00 PM   #62
ironman1478

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbryant
To simply answer your question, no, but truning the Master way up to atleast 3:00 will give the amp a lot fuller more balls to wall type tone with less fizz, if your ultra is any thing like my Triple XXX you will love it set this way. The Ultras are supose to have less gain than the Triple XXX on the Crunch channel, or so I thought. But regardless the best way to get a more classic pre jcm 800 tone is to dial your gain way down, then turn your all eqs to 9:00 and adjust from there. I think people often for get that the Ultra series all have active eqs and if you wish to treat like a more classic amp to should not turn your eqs past 12:00, doing this really takes out a lot of the amps balzyness and really tones it down. I think people who say these amps are incapeable of classic rock don't understand the Active Eq, and are treating it like a traditional amp. I agree there are better amps for classic rock, but these amps can pull it off with ease if know how to Eq it right.

awesome, because i played a XXX(which is basically an ultra) and loved the cleans/metal tones, but i was afraid to crank the master of lower the channel because i thought i might blow the place down lawl
ironman1478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 02:07 PM   #63
Johnbryant
Tubes=The Sex

The 60 watt Triple XXX's are kinda rare, but honestly it doesn't matter, the difference in volume between 40 and 60 watts is minimal. I do think the one in your link is 60 watt though becasue most of the 40 watters had some on board FX. As far as what to bid, IDK, I personally think its worth 500 USD solid, its looks like its brand new and I think you would have a good chance at winning the bid at that. It should go for 450-550, depending on how bad people want it. These amps rock, they are quite the gem, honestly if the amp was idenicall in every way but was made by Mesa Boogie, it would bring 750-1000 seriusly.

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
Johnbryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 02:20 PM   #64
Johnbryant
Tubes=The Sex

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironman1478
awesome, because i played a XXX(which is basically an ultra) and loved the cleans/metal tones, but i was afraid to crank the master of lower the channel because i thought i might blow the place down lawl

I control the volume on each channel with its on volume knob, where I usually play each channels volume pot is around 8:30-9:00 when the master is between 3:00-4:00. I am pretty limited on volume, I play on a small stage in a farly small buiding, and usually only trun my amp up loud enough to hear me self over the drums, and I mic it so it comes through the PA so the sound guy can bring me up for solos and have more control. The amp is still very loud even set at these low setting, I have yet to play where I can really krank it up get it cooking. Turning the Master up really pushes the power tubes hard, and makes the power section really work to amplify such a low signal from the preamp, it gets rid of the fuzz and makes it sound much more natrual. At the volume I run is right at the point where the amp starts really sounding good so that a big plus.

My Gear
Guild DV6
Old 08-18-2008, 02:29 PM   #65
bjovi400
UG's Sarcastic Private

guys, i need some prices for the Ultra and Ultra Plus for the first post

thanx
Ibanez AEL 12-string

Old 08-18-2008, 02:36 PM   #66
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

IbanezPsycho may have info on that.

Old 08-18-2008, 02:43 PM   #67
IbanezPsycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjovi400
guys, i need some prices for the Ultra and Ultra Plus for the first post

thanx

Usually Plus runs from $449.99 and the Older Ultras hardly ever see them but there usually $250+
Old 08-18-2008, 02:50 PM   #68
bjovi400
UG's Sarcastic Private

those are used prices? you wouldnt happen to know what they were new? not that its usefull, i just would like to have it for records
Ibanez AEL 12-string

Old 08-18-2008, 03:18 PM   #69
IbanezPsycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjovi400
those are used prices? you wouldnt happen to know what they were new? not that its usefull, i just would like to have it for records

$949.00
Old 08-21-2008, 04:38 PM   #70
Demonazzz
Grim and Frostbitten

I posted this in another thread, but I thought I'd see what other Peavey owners might have to say...

Theres this weird popping noise that seems to come out of my amp every so often.

Yesterday when I was playing, I noticed that the sound seemed to slowly get quieter until it just about faded. I looked and noticed inside the head that one of the power tubes had lit up really bright compared to the rest. I shut everything off for a minute or so, and restarted it and everything seemed to play fine with the odd popping noise every so often.

I was advised that I should probably replace the preamp tubes. If I do, I figure I might take this chance to change the power tubes to.

The JSX comes with EL34s but can be swapped for 6L6GSs? Whats the sound difference? I like being able to play teh br00talz although being able to have lighter, cleaner sound if I need it.

Epiphone SG-400
Agile AL-3100
Schecter Damien-7 (EMG 707 swap)
Peavey JSX Head
Peavey 412 Cab
Boss GT-10
Yamaha FG720S Acoustic
Demonazzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 04:47 PM   #71
Johnbryant
Tubes=The Sex

I would say its more likly to be the power tubes, if a preamp tube fails, typically they just get real micophonic, "nosiy and uncontolably feeds back" Make sure that you have the switch one the amp set for 6l6, or EL34s what ever your running thats a real quick way to ruin a good set of tubes. Whats the make and model of the power tubes in the amp, and how long have you owned it?

My Gear
Guild DV6
Old 08-21-2008, 04:50 PM   #72
jessexxx

yup...sounds like it's tube change time!

as far as the el34's...more of a mid marshall tone.
as far as the 6l6's...more of a darker sound..

not sure if your does or not..but my xxx has a bias switch to switch between these two tubes,...

then of course we could get into the different brands and there different characteristics....

i like jj's...some dont.

good luck
jessexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 04:58 PM   #73
Demonazzz
Grim and Frostbitten

Judging by the logos, they look like JJ's. I have no idea which model they are. I've owned the amp for about 4 months.

Yeah theres a switch for EL34's and 6l6's.

Could anyone recommend a good site for buying tubes from? I hear a lot of people saying good things about KT77 tubes? Would I set my bias to el34 or 6l6 if I was to get kt77's?

Epiphone SG-400
Agile AL-3100
Peavey JSX Head
Peavey 412 Cab
Boss GT-10
Yamaha FG720S Acoustic

Last edited by Demonazzz : 08-21-2008 at 05:42 PM.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:10 AM   #74
yoyodunno
Tanned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonazzz
Would I set my bias to el34 or 6l6 if I was to get kt77's?

You'd set it for el34's since they are supposed to be a direct replacement.
(")_(")
My youtube

Flickr
yoyodunno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 12:36 PM   #75
Johnbryant
Tubes=The Sex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonazzz
Judging by the logos, they look like JJ's. I have no idea which model they are. I've owned the amp for about 4 months.

Look on the tube, pull it out if you have to, there should be some letters and numbers on the tube like 6l6GC El-34. What are these numbers? The reason I ask is since you said they are JJ tubes, makes me wonder if you have a different problem with your amp other than the tube being worn out. Don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with JJ tubes, I use them in my amp, but the thing is there is one JJ EL-34 based tube that is not compatable with the JSX and XXX. The tube is the JJ E34L, this tubes grid voltage is to high, and will burn up the screen grid resistors in the amp, which could be your problem if those are the tubes you have.

My Gear
Guild DV6
Old 08-22-2008, 01:11 PM   #76
yoyodunno
Tanned

Quote:
Look on the tube, pull it out if you have to, there should be some letters and numbers on the tube like 6l6GC El-34. What are these numbers? The reason I ask is since you said they are JJ tubes, makes me wonder if you have a different problem with your amp other than the tube being worn out. Don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with JJ tubes, I use them in my amp, but the thing is there is one JJ EL-34 based tube that is not compatable with the JSX and XXX. The tube is the JJ E34L, this tubes grid voltage is to high, and will burn up the screen grid resistors in the amp, which could be your problem if those are the tubes you have.

I heard that the newest made triple xxx's have those higher rated screen resistors, do you know if they do?
(")_(")
My youtube

Flickr
yoyodunno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 01:15 PM   #77
Johnbryant
Tubes=The Sex

^they do, but peavey still strongly recomends not using them, at least thats what the peavey rep told me over the phone.

My Gear
Guild DV6
Old 08-22-2008, 06:43 PM   #78
Demonazzz
Grim and Frostbitten

Quote:

They're EL34's. I've ordered some KT77's from thetubestore.com

Can a guitar tech adjust the bias the amp for me? Does it need to be done if I'm directly replacing EL34's?

Sorry for all the questions...I don't know **** about electricity and I'd rather not electrocute myself or mess up my stuff.

Epiphone SG-400
Agile AL-3100
Peavey JSX Head
Peavey 412 Cab
Boss GT-10
Yamaha FG720S Acoustic
Old 08-22-2008, 07:12 PM   #79
Johnbryant
Tubes=The Sex

With KT77 you will need to re bias, since those tubes are kinda a cross between 6l6 and EL34s, a tech should have no problems, or you can fiddle with the Bias sweep on the amp, the test points are inaccurate and hard to discern.

My Gear
Guild DV6
Old 08-27-2008, 02:33 PM   #80
xMikeyxMetalx
UG Board King

I'm considering selling my 5150 and purchasing a JSX.
I want the extra versatility.
But i have a question:

With a boost, would i be able to push the crunch channel to give me a nice tight death metal rythym tone and just use the ultra channel for leads?
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
xMikeyxMetalx is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: