Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 07-03-2013, 07:53 AM   #221
alcadhrim
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Overrated: Yngwie Malmsteen
Underrated: Malcolm Young
alcadhrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:51 PM   #222
earthportal
Registered User
 
earthportal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
I think Nile Rodgers is pretty underrated. People don't give enough credit to guitarists who play a more funk and/or dance style. This guy's playing is incredible, all the way from Chic in the 70's to his most recent work on the new Daft Punk album.
earthportal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:25 PM   #223
apostolossta
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
overrated:Slash
underrated:Alvin Lee(ten years after) Robby Krieger(the doors) Jan Akkermann (focus) Don Felder (eagles) Ritchie Blackmore(deep purple) Stevie Ray Vaughan and of course Rory Galagher
apostolossta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:03 PM   #224
truckster7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Overrated George Thorogood
Underrated John 5. Seriously he can kick your ass with metal then turn around and kick it with country.
truckster7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:42 PM   #225
samuelzz10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
I don't know about overrated, but underrated is definitely Vinnie Vincent.
samuelzz10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:43 PM   #226
eric_wearing
KillerOfIdiocracy
 
eric_wearing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Over:
Jimi Hendrix was great n all, I have a DEEP respect for what he did and how he did it. There will never be another....but he is given too much credit.
VH so the guy tapped fast...so what
Jimmy Page, I don't even wanna.
Lenny Kravitz...I'll be honest. He only got big cos he's black. He's definitely a great guitarist, one of the guys to get me to pick up an axe. However, ppl just wanted another Jimi and they pushed this guy.

Under:
Every R&B guitarist ever. They are all very skilled at their craft and are many times better than the riff based guitarists. The thing is that most of em are session guitarists to the solo singers which is big in the genre, so they never get the exposure that the guitar gods of rock have.
Chad...guy from Nickelback haha. Ok Ok before you say anything, as generic as Nickelback songs are, the guitar work is pretty impressive, especially their side tracks that they don't release as singles.
James Hetfield (spellcheck) he is a solid rhythm guitarist and VERY clean. He's constantly overshadowed by Kirk though...
I wanna say the Megadeth guitarists but I've only heard 3 songs so :shrugs:

Not Sure:
A7X guitarists simply because they are great guitarists. However, the fanboys/girls never shaddup about em (and there's a bunch of em) yet the haters of all things metalcore hate the band so much that they never give them a chance. I personally hear a buncha Maiden influenced riffs and solos. And speaking of Maiden
Iron Maiden guitarists are hard for me to gauge as over/under. I see a buncha under in this thread but I'm assuming that it's just cos of Maiden being a vocal focused band. But ask any young metalhead if they'd have to pick one band to work with them, they'd shoot straight for Maiden simply cos they are amazing in the show offy compared to other classic metal/NWOBHM acts.
Tom Morello. This might be the fanboy talking but I think he is gauged just right. He is FAR from under rated but all of his skills are legit and the fact that I fanboy over his playing is something in of itself cos I am not easily impressed. Heck, I fanboy over 3 things in this world: Rise Against, Legend of Zelda, and Tom Morello's guitaring
Kurt Cobain...why is he mentioned in this thread so much? seriously, no one thinks he's a great guitarist. NO ONE! I mean, Nirvana stuff is at the 0 tier of learning Rock music. it's simple, catchy, hell, it's one level above punk music
__________________
Metalhead Guitarist in training/Hip Hop fan/Possible rapper/Perfectionist of Versatility/Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBKGUITAR
To be a good lead guitar you must be VERY GOOD AT RYTHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggaraMarine
My motto: Play what the song needs you to play!
eric_wearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:51 PM   #227
Caaarrl94
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: England
Overrated? Slash, 'The Edge'

Underrated - josh homme maybe, his chord work is insane.
__________________
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke
Caaarrl94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 03:28 AM   #228
Metalmarcs
Registered User
 
Metalmarcs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
New talent is commonly praised (when finally the music of choice becomes more mainstream) when those who inspired or even taught them are left in the dust -- like exemplified a little bit here, with exceptions. Here are a few more: From Motorhead -- Eddie Clarke and Larry Wallis. Thanks for everyones' contribution and the love for those who were left behind/forgotten -- check out those riffs in Ace of Spades and Orgasmatron.
__________________
Metalmarcs

Last edited by Metalmarcs : 07-24-2013 at 06:56 PM. Reason: correction
Metalmarcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:45 AM   #229
maddog61
Registered User
 
maddog61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Richie Sambora is terribly underrated.
maddog61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:59 PM   #230
electricvivaldi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
There's a new guitar blog - [forbidden link] - with a boat load of unsung heroes and rare YouTube cuts...

Who here remembers Johnny Winter and Robin Trower?

Electric Vivaldi!
electricvivaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:03 PM   #231
electricvivaldi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
There's a new guitar blog - (lemme try that again) electricvivaldi . blogspot . com - with a boat load of unsung heroes and rare YouTube cuts...

Remember Johnny Winter and Robin Trower?

Electric Vivaldi!
electricvivaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:13 AM   #232
Tazz3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Over rated Steve via
Under rated randy Rhodes
Tazz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 02:11 PM   #233
chaplainDMK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Contagen
I love how you all put Slash as your most overrated guitarist. And Tom Morello as underrated.


Let's look through this list of people in Guitar Hero......


Hmmm.... Slash......... oh.....can this be......Tom Morello? He must be overrated, seeing as he was in a game that brought rock n' roll back to a lot of people......man I hate Rage Against the Machine now.



Seriously, all the Slash hate is pitiful. Just because he doesn't try to cram all the notes he can into one measure like OMG YNGWIE MALMSTEEM doesn't mean he's not good. In fact, I'm sure hes capable of doing that. But no, Slash writes songs, not riffs.

And if Slash has a shredding song in his solo album, and delivers an amazing solo album, I'm sure everybody will deny that they ever said Slash was overrated.

Over-rated as basically being made into some demi-god of guitar when he really quite frankly isn't anything special technically wise, or feeling wise.
I enjoy his playing, his riffs are good and his solos work, but I just thing GnR are cheesy as hell, so I don't like it too much. But he is over-rated because way to many people think he is actually technically very good or something because he is generally the only real guitarist random people know, along with Kurt Cobain and Jimi Hendrix.
Over-rated doesn't mean you think the guy sucks, it just means he gets way too much credit for what he is worth.
chaplainDMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:01 PM   #234
Sixxstarr
Registered User
 
Sixxstarr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Overrated...hm...I am gonna say...Slash...great guitarist but definitely isn't as amazing as people proclaim him to be...
Underrated...Jerry Cantrell of Alice in Chains...sure man in the box and rooster are great songs people know but the dude has written so many great songs with and without Alice in Chains
Sixxstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 06:15 AM   #235
freepeople8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
He doesn't get just about anywhere close to sum the credit score he should get-and this Cut becomes.
__________________
madewell
freepeople8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 06:49 AM   #236
triface
Drenched in Syrup
 
triface's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
I find Vinnie Moore underrated. I don't even think that many people in UG know him. Some of his stuff is just neoclassical wankery, and TBH, some of his earlier stuff just sounds the same as each other, but some of his later works are genius.



__________________
OBSCENELY COLORFUL AND BIG SIGNATURE!

Member of the 7-String/ERG Legion
triface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:48 PM   #237
ZeppelinSkynyrd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Why does everyone say Slash is overrated? Most people can only dream to play like him. Most overrated guitar player is Jeff Beck. Most underrated is Tommy Shaw.
ZeppelinSkynyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 12:26 PM   #238
UnlikelyJapan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Ty Tabor is pretty underrated IMO (hell, all of King's X is for that matter). It's not so much Ty's soloing, but his composition style is next level.
UnlikelyJapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 12:31 PM   #239
Pacifica Ocean
Registered User
 
Pacifica Ocean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeppelinSkynyrd
Why does everyone say Slash is overrated? Most people can only dream to play like him. Most overrated guitar player is Jeff Beck. Most underrated is Tommy Shaw.



Slash is deemed overrated presumably because he isn't a virtuoso guitarist.

Underrated: John Frusciante- he's no household name, in fact most people don't know his name even if they know the odd Chilis song.

Overrated: Kurt Cobain- Good songwriter? Yes. Good guitarist- No! He was a pathetic guitarist and in reflection, pretty unoriginal really. It's a real shame that someone like Jerry Cantrell or Eddy Vedder aren't seen as 'the face' of grunge as both of them were exceptional musicians. AIC are far more unique than Nirvana in my opinion as they utilisied harmonic singing between Staley and Cantrell for starters.
__________________
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit my guitar blog! http://oscarjacksault.wordpress.com/


Quote:
Originally Posted by barden1069
I just like to imagine that my neighbors enjoy their free, nightly concerts.

Pacifica Ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 10:02 PM   #240
craigr3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventurer
Underated - Elliott Smith


Good one. You really realize this if you try to play any of his stuff. His chord arrangements and his fingerpicking are really fast.
craigr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:49 PM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.