Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-13-2008, 01:25 AM   #61
ohhey9040
Nature Without Man

John McLaughlin- Listen to the stuff he did with The Mahavishnu Orchestra then listen to My Goal's Beyond. Completely different and incredibly awesome albums with out of this world guitar playing.

Please join the My Morning Jacket Group:
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/mymorningjacket/
ohhey9040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 08:23 PM   #62
amicone18

Over Rated- Kurt Cobain, John Frucsciate or however u spell it. JIMI HENDRIX, Slash( If it was not for guitar hero 3, there wouldnt be 100's of slash posters when trying to find a pearl jam, or alice in chains poster

Under Rated- JERRY CANTRELL, as a matter of fact alice in chains in general is under rated.
amicone18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 12:34 AM   #63
bakshandloomis
Ug's Metalcore fanboy

Over rated- Slash, Kurt Cobain, Jimi Hendrix, Synyster Gates, Herman Li.

Under rated- A.J.Minette, Andy Mckee, Luke Hoskin.

Just the first ones to come to mind.
Her -"hahaha why? *high fives*"
Him - "Because I just dumped you for the lulz!"
Her -"... what?"
Him -"*runs away*"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty7Stringer
killswitch engage has some dissonant riffs, they're kind grindcore tho

bakshandloomis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 03:38 AM   #64
orphaned
Banned

will killingsworth is the most underrated guitarist in time
orphaned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 08:42 PM   #65
benji99
UG Newbie

Ok i think we should probably be able to agree that Slash is probably the most overrated guitarist because probably every 1 out of 5 doesn't have Slash as overrated.

Anyways. Overrated= Slash (of course) Kurt Cobaine ( You can probably notice that in his songs he never strums off beat)
Underrated=Andy McKee and i think John Mayer is underrated as a guitarist but as a performer i think he's a little overrated.
benji99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 09:08 PM   #66
orphaned
Banned

i dont really think anybody above the age of 13 actually thinks kurt cobaine is a good guitarist, he wrote catchy songs for the radio, omg

also, andy mckee is huge on the interwebs
orphaned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 08:48 PM   #67
Satchafunkilus
UG's Biggest Satch Fan.

I think Joe Satriani is underated, because when I talk to one of my friends about Kirk HAmmett or Steve Vai maybe even Larry Lalonde(or however you spell it) and then bring up Joe Satriani, they claim that Steve Vai or Kirk Hammett is better. I think he just does'nt the respect he deserves, its almost like they don't know he taught some of their favorite guitarists. The student will never be better than the teacher.

Satchafunkilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 09:24 PM   #68
twincinity

Overrated : Slash/Cobain/etc

Underrated : Mike Einziger
twincinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 09:30 PM   #69
eschaton
This too will pass

Pretty much every "guitar hero" is massively overrated, Hendrix, Page, Clapton, Slash et al simply because regadless of how good some of them are, it's simply not humanly possible to be as good as their fanboys think they are.

Underrated? Well, that's hard since pretty much everyone has someone bumming them. Zappa should have been a bona fide legend thouh, he is in some circles, but not on the mainstream level he should be.
Old 09-13-2008, 09:39 PM   #70
srvflood
UnRegistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhey9040
John McLaughlin- Listen to the stuff he did with The Mahavishnu Orchestra then listen to My Goal's Beyond. Completely different and incredibly awesome albums with out of this world guitar playing.

I find it truly a wonder that he isn't talked about in the same breath as Hendrix or Gilmour, he mastered every genre of music. Period. McLaughlin will always be underrated and that's sad.

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
srvflood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 01:26 AM   #71
xHellbound
UG Freak

This guy is definitely on the unheard of list. But, you don't get any more metal than Grim Reaper.

xHellbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 11:44 PM   #72
Second Rate

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton
Pretty much every "guitar hero" is massively overrated, Hendrix, Page, Clapton, Slash et al simply because regadless of how good some of them are, it's simply not humanly possible to be as good as their fanboys think they are.

Underrated? Well, that's hard since pretty much everyone has someone bumming them. Zappa should have been a bona fide legend thouh, he is in some circles, but not on the mainstream level he should be.

Zappa is mostly revered for his skills with complex arrangements...... he is usually overlooked as a guitar player, which is rather sickening.
Second Rate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 05:58 PM   #73
iamnivlek

Overrated : Herman Li, thanks to Guitar Hero
Underrated : Slash, Ok well maybe not anymore, but I think he's been underrated. Some of what he does is pretty difficult although he makes it seem so easy.
iamnivlek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 11:51 PM   #74
Exo M7
king, dead - long life.

Just reading the last page, I agree that McLaughlin is criminally underrated. Mahavishnu Orchestra has some mindblowing guitar work.

Zappa too.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
Exo M7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 02:32 AM   #75
McFoss

First a couple things: props to soundgarden19 for mentioning Dean Deleo and Kim Thayil (although with a name like that I couldn't imagine why he'd mention thayil), and second: what's with all the hate against Slash? Larry Lalonde from Primus is way underated.
McFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 02:44 AM   #76
Free to Guitar
I wanna spend your money.

Robert Fripp. From understated backing on songs like "Nightwatch" to complex compositions like "Fracture" and his innovative work with Frippertronics or alternate guitar tunings, he doesn't get much credit as a guitarist.

Gotta agree on Zappa and McLaughlin. Zappa was just wacked out, John could have creamed most of the guitar gods of his day. Just listen to "Right Off" from Miles Davis' "A Tribute to Jack Johnson."

Last edited by Free to Guitar : 09-16-2008 at 02:46 AM.
Free to Guitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 01:47 PM   #77
BlackmoreKnight
Love Your Body, Larry

The most overrated guitarist: Jimi Hendrix
The most underrated guitarist: Mike Sullivan
BlackmoreKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 04:53 PM   #78
hortonface
wastes time in The Pit

Overrated: Slash, Kirk Hammet, and Clapton

Underrated:Mark Knopfler, Alex Lifeson, Billy Corgan, and +1 for Larry Lalonde
hortonface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 07:03 PM   #79
Fox McKalen
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satchafunkilus
I think Joe Satriani is underated, because when I talk to one of my friends about Kirk HAmmett or Steve Vai maybe even Larry Lalonde(or however you spell it) and then bring up Joe Satriani, they claim that Steve Vai or Kirk Hammett is better. I think he just does'nt the respect he deserves, its almost like they don't know he taught some of their favorite guitarists. The student will never be better than the teacher.

It's worse where I live. I've only met one other person who even knows who Satriani is. That may just be because I live in an area where rap is dominant, but... No, that's still no excuse.
Fox McKalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 03:47 PM   #80
guitarandbmx
UG Newbie

Jack white is the most overrated guitarist ever, he came something ridiculous like 8th or something in Rolling stones top 100 guitarists of all time.

It pisses me off sooooo bad when people say Jimi Hendrix is overrated, usually i would say that matters of opinion are not subject to argument. But what is a FACT is that he revolutionised music, and was an influence to many of the guitarists that went on themselves to become established legends. Hendrix didnt have much of a career, but what he did during the short time was truly ******* magical.

So, not overrated

on the other hand, i think alexi laiho is quite underrated. He never seems to get much recognition, but he's an insane player...
guitarandbmx is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: