Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 09-21-2008, 07:15 PM   #81
Dnotsominor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Roanoke Va
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admartian
Just because someone (Slash) is well known, does NOT make them overrated.


Overrated: Eddie Van Halen
Underrated: Dean DeLeo



How can you say that Van Halen is overratted? And you defend Slash? Van Halen could play circles around him.. thats like blasphemy to say that.

Overrated: Angus Young, SLASH, Santana, Zach Wylde
Underrated: Tom Morello, Mike Einziger
Dnotsominor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 07:31 PM   #82
The Contagen
UG Member
 
The Contagen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: At Carl Frederickson's house
I love how you all put Slash as your most overrated guitarist. And Tom Morello as underrated.


Let's look through this list of people in Guitar Hero......


Hmmm.... Slash......... oh.....can this be......Tom Morello? He must be overrated, seeing as he was in a game that brought rock n' roll back to a lot of people......man I hate Rage Against the Machine now.



Seriously, all the Slash hate is pitiful. Just because he doesn't try to cram all the notes he can into one measure like OMG YNGWIE MALMSTEEM doesn't mean he's not good. In fact, I'm sure hes capable of doing that. But no, Slash writes songs, not riffs.

And if Slash has a shredding song in his solo album, and delivers an amazing solo album, I'm sure everybody will deny that they ever said Slash was overrated.
__________________
The Contagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 08:32 PM   #83
fudger
Im a ninja of love..
 
fudger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Binghamton NY
my underated list would have to be:
Trey Anastasio from Phish not many better guitarist in a jam than him.
Larry LaLonde and Tim "Herb" Alexander are both pretty solid guitarist who dont get enough credit.
Brendan Bayliss and Jake Cinninger of Umphrey's McGee are just amazing they have it all.
Eddie Hazel of Funkadelic...Maggot Brain...need i say more.
Al Schnier from Moe. is also one of my favorite guitarist who gets no props for his chops.
__________________
My band
Facebook
Youtube
Bandcamp

I'd rather be Phishing...

Last edited by fudger : 09-21-2008 at 08:36 PM.
fudger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 04:45 AM   #84
iamultimate
Registered User
 
iamultimate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
overrated- Yngwie, slash, van halen <br> underrated- nick valensi, matthew bellamy <br> also whats with the hate towards kurt? there is nothing to overrate him about, he wrote his songs and played them, he knew he wasnt the best, nor did he set out to be
iamultimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 11:50 AM   #85
westozrocker
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Mike Campbell of Petty's Heartbreakers is underrated when great guitarists are being discussed.

JJ Cale is a guitarist that is mentioned as an influence by many top guitarists but could be considered underrated.

The late Eddie Cochran was an underrated guitarist who burnt out too young.
westozrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 01:50 PM   #86
soundgarden19
Registered User
 
soundgarden19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: right there
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamultimate
overrated- Yngwie, slash, van halen <br> underrated- nick valensi, matthew bellamy <br> also whats with the hate towards kurt? there is nothing to overrate him about, he wrote his songs and played them, he knew he wasnt the best, nor did he set out to be


Nothing's wrong with Kurt it's just people overrate him a lot and make him look like he's a god, I love Nirvana they had some of the best songs in their genre, it's just every 10 year old thinks he's god because they think he "got" them.
__________________
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?


I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
soundgarden19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 06:34 PM   #87
chrispfried
hello thar!
 
chrispfried's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Bla-bla-bla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littleangus44
i think slash became overated ever since he was in guitar hero, and i guess most underated good be tony iommi



yeah people are like oh my god i love welcome to the jungle slash is the best, but really he is not the best, there are plenty of better guitarists than that, but still he is one of the best, simply because of his amazing guitar solo in Paradise City and also his crazy licks throughout every song, so yeah people have overrated him because he is in guitar hero because simply he is in guitar hero
chrispfried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 06:56 PM   #88
eschaton
This too will pass
 
eschaton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Fife
Overated - Pretty much all your "guitar heroes", Clapton, Page, Hendrix, Blackmore, Slash etc etc simply because as good as any of them may be, it's completely impossible to be geniunely deserving of the diefied position they are put in by fans.
__________________
Domine Non Es Dignus
eschaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 11:10 PM   #89
srvflood
UnRegistered User
 
srvflood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
I agree with you about all them, EXCEPT Blackmore. People know him because of Smoke on the Water, which is a great song and all but it's not reminiscent of his style. I would actually put him in the underrated category, he's an amazing guitarist and people only know him because of Smoke on the Water, but he was so much more than that.
__________________
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
srvflood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 03:15 AM   #90
Van Hayden
sex, drugs nd rock n roll
 
Van Hayden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Where The Streets Have No Name
Underated









Mark Knopfler!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Van Hayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 10:28 AM   #91
ryanglaspell
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
overrated- prob either santana or slash
underrated- without a doubt one hundred percent jack oshea from bayside. He has extremely catchy riffs and his solos are more than just three, four fret tapping. They're soulful
ryanglaspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 09:51 AM   #92
bodysnatchers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Underrated=Johnny Marr (The Smiths,) Tom Verlaine/Richard Lloyd (Television)
Overrated=Eddie van Halen
bodysnatchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 10:41 AM   #93
JamieUK
Registered User
 
JamieUK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Worcester,UK
Overrated-Slash - If not for Guitar Hero 3, Not many people would of known of him
Underrated- Santana , Black Magic Woman
__________________
Hai To You All

Metallica Ftw?
JamieUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 10:47 AM   #94
Necrophagist777
Fusion = The New Shred
 
Necrophagist777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: MAKE THEM SUPPER!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieUK
Overrated-Slash - If not for Guitar Hero 3, Not many people would of known of him
Underrated- Santana , Black Magic Woman


I wouldn't say people wouldn't know him, cmon he's been a legend for a long time. if people didn't know him, they wouldn't have put him in the game. lol

Overrated: Dan Jacobs, Atreyu. he's good but he's nothing special, doesn't deserve instructional dvd's, a clothing line, or a signature guitar.

Underrated: Jeff Loomis (Nevermore), Chris Broderick (Megadeth, Nevermore), Muhammed Suicmez (Necrophagist), Joel Stroetzel (Killswitch Engage)
__________________

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
Necrophagist777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 10:56 AM   #95
JamieUK
Registered User
 
JamieUK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Worcester,UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Necrophagist777
I wouldn't say people wouldn't know him, cmon he's been a legend for a long time. if people didn't know him, they wouldn't have put him in the game. lol

Overrated: Dan Jacobs, Atreyu. he's good but he's nothing special, doesn't deserve instructional dvd's, a clothing line, or a signature guitar.

Underrated: Jeff Loomis (Nevermore), Chris Broderick (Megadeth, Nevermore), Muhammed Suicmez (Necrophagist), Joel Stroetzel (Killswitch Engage)


Yeah hes known by all the guns and rose's fans from the 1980-90's , but anyone past that time might not have heard him. Guitar Hero 3 gave him a huge popularity boost across the world.

What would you put Kirk Hammett as , Overrated or Underrated?!?!?!
__________________
Hai To You All

Metallica Ftw?
JamieUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 11:00 AM   #96
Necrophagist777
Fusion = The New Shred
 
Necrophagist777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: MAKE THEM SUPPER!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieUK
Yeah hes known by all the guns and rose's fans from the 1980-90's , but anyone past that time might not have heard him. Guitar Hero 3 gave him a huge popularity boost across the world.

What would you put Kirk Hammett as , Overrated or Underrated?!?!?!


I knew who slash was before guitar hero, i'm not a huge guns fan and i didnt even play guitar at the time.

As far as Kirk, overrated by non guitarists, just right by the guitar community. He's not bad, he just uses too much wah for his own good.
__________________

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top

Last edited by Necrophagist777 : 10-26-2008 at 11:13 AM.
Necrophagist777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 11:02 AM   #97
JamieUK
Registered User
 
JamieUK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Worcester,UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Necrophagist777
I knew who slash was before guitar hero, i'm not a huge guns fan and i didnt even play guitar at the time.

Overrated by non guitarists, just right by the guitar community. He's not bad, he just uses too much wah for his own good.



Fair enough, All i can think of when someone mentions wah is bulls on parade
__________________
Hai To You All

Metallica Ftw?
JamieUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 12:15 PM   #98
Markitt
Registered User
 
Markitt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bremen
I'd like to say Eric Clapton is underrated because too many people just know his most famous songs (and even forget the solos). But then again, there are many who say he's the best.

Meh.

Tom Morello is underrated for sure, as is Richie Sambora.
Markitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 01:41 PM   #99
soundgarden19
Registered User
 
soundgarden19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: right there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markitt
I'd like to say Eric Clapton is underrated because too many people just know his most famous songs (and even forget the solos). But then again, there are many who say he's the best.

Meh.

Tom Morello is underrated for sure, as is Richie Sambora.


I'd say Clapton is Overrated if anything.
__________________
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?


I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
soundgarden19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 04:47 PM   #100
Travv0
Usered Register
 
Travv0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: St. Charles, MO
Overrated would have to be Jimi Hendrix, underrated is... I can't think of any right now, so I'll have to go with the search bar.
__________________
Please vote for my band in the Ernie Ball Battle of the Bands! https://www.battleofthebands.com/220freedom
Travv0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:53 PM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.