Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-03-2008, 07:12 PM   #1
thefrigginbob
Frank

The Boutique Pedal Thread

In this thread we salute the boutique pedals! Boutique pedals have a special place in my heart. Amazing pedals, lovingly crafted and unique down to each pedal. I think many of the smaller companies have done a great job with their image/identity, making not only their sound unique but their presence. Whether its a hand painted ts808 clone or Moogerfooger analog delay, post your for the little guys!

After a few weeks of tweaking around in some smaller shops I decided to order a Red Witch Fuzz God II which I've wanted for a while. I love their descriptions and the wrath feature adds "Wrath - All gods have it and the Lord of the Fuzz is no different - click this only to smite the most brazen of unbelievers. When engaged (by depressing the lightning bolt footswitch) you can dial up all manner of destruction; SubOctave thunder eternally sustained notes squealing high frequency note corruption and a myriad number of other terrifying tones."

Epic

Post pics, ask questions, brag about your army of mismatched minions, or just wait around for the pr0nz.

*Also a little note - please don't turn this into a "whats boutique and what isnt" thread, everyone has their own definition, just try to keep the discussion to the smaller companies*
Old 08-03-2008, 08:17 PM   #2
Ubershall404

I run a Fulltone OCD into my Framus Cobra and Its the best OD pedal I have ever used.

Mesa 4x12
Ubershall404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 08:21 PM   #3
thefrigginbob
Frank

I've always been curious, is the OCD better for adding a bit of gain or just as a signal boost to tighten things up?

I hear greats things but I havn't bit the bullet and bought one yet. I think if I get a new OD I'll have the.spine.surfs make me one. His look awesome
Old 08-03-2008, 08:25 PM   #4
Ubershall404

I have only used it for a Signal boost. Its has 30db of clean gain boost in the volume control. Its killer that way. I run it with the Drive control at about 2 and the Volume at around 7. Its a great boost to a High Gain amp. As far as adding distortion to a clean amp, I havent used it in that application, but im sure It would sound great that way too. I used a TS9, then a Maxon OD808, then a Keely Katana, then the OCD. To my ears it was the best for boosting my Cobra.

Mesa 4x12

Last edited by Ubershall404 : 08-03-2008 at 08:28 PM.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:28 PM   #5
Ubershall404

One more cool thing about it. It can take 9v to 18v power supplys. The higher volt power supply it has, the more drive it can produce. I just use 9 though. 18 was to much for my application.

Mesa 4x12
Old 08-03-2008, 08:37 PM   #6
thellamaking
i fsking hate llamas

I've got a Catalinbread Silverkiss MK2. I love the thing, the most versatile OD pedal I've ever heard.

And i don't know if this counts, but i'm planning on building clones of a Zvex Fuzz Factory and Box of Rock. Should be epic!
Old 08-03-2008, 08:49 PM   #7
thefrigginbob
Frank

Ubershall, you are tempting me

Quote:
Originally Posted by thellamaking
I've got a Catalinbread Silverkiss MK2. I love the thing, the most versatile OD pedal I've ever heard.

And i don't know if this counts, but i'm planning on building clones of a Zvex Fuzz Factory and Box of Rock. Should be epic!

That is one sexy pedal. It's a shame you can only find Catalinbread in southern California, they have quite a few pedals I would like to get my hands on.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:51 PM   #8
thellamaking
i fsking hate llamas

I ordered mine from the Internet A lot of people recommended that pedal and after hearing sound clips i had to bite the bullet and order it without trying. I'm so glad i did I wouldn't mind Catalinbread's Tremolo, either.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:58 PM   #9
ICANSEEYOU7687

i would never buy a boutique pedal, but I would make one. Although currently my next build is probably going to be a heavily modded tube screamer.
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
ICANSEEYOU7687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 09:00 PM   #10
thellamaking
i fsking hate llamas

Be sure to tell us how the build goes!
Old 08-03-2008, 09:46 PM   #11
igotabcrich32
Is Dan

Heres my VanAmps SoleMate - all analog reverb unit:

The green pedal is a Monsterpiece 2 Headed Monster, made by a member on the HC forums who makes them out of his house, great fuzz, but i'm looking at selling it.

Wasnt cheap (i paid 200, i think they retail for around 300). Its the best reverb pedal ive used, not including the verb on my old Deluxe Reverb.

I also have a swilbox LoveKraft MojoDrive coming in soon.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:54 PM   #12
sloppyjoe109
whtvr it tks

No joke, I wanted to make a thread like this last week.

I'm getting a Dr. Scientist Cosmichorus & Catalinbread Semaphore Tremolo ...very soon!

aaaaand Vinnie (the.spine.surfs) made me my own custom trem pedal....I love VSC.
sloppyjoe109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 09:58 PM   #13
Epiphany521
Banned

correct me if i'm wrong -- is boutique like handmade? i've seen the term a lot but never really got the meaning
Epiphany521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 10:02 PM   #14
TNfootballfan62
Mr. Blue

I have an RMC Picture Wah. If you're looking for a vintage clyde mccoy type wah, it's basically the perfect wah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
TNfootballfan62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 10:08 PM   #15
thefrigginbob
Frank

Anyone have any experience with Copilot FX?

I was looking at their Android ring mod pedal, I really like how simple it is and its fairly cheap. I might have to pick one up when I get some cash from a few projects I'm working on.

the.spine.surfs makes trem pedals too? I thought he just did OD. How is it? I actually might have to make an order.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:11 PM   #16
yeahyeah
Better Get Hit In Yo Soul

I have an HBE Germania 44.

It boosts my treble real good.
yeahyeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 10:14 PM   #17
thefrigginbob
Frank

This thread need moar pics.

All talk and no show right?
Old 08-03-2008, 10:17 PM   #18
danyellenik

i tried an OCD not too long ago, really liked it

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
danyellenik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 10:29 PM   #19
TNfootballfan62
Mr. Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by igotabcrich32
Heres my VanAmps SoleMate - all analog reverb unit:

The green pedal is a Monsterpiece 2 Headed Monster, made by a member on the HC forums who makes them out of his house, great fuzz, but i'm looking at selling it.

Wasnt cheap (i paid 200, i think they retail for around 300). Its the best reverb pedal ive used, not including the verb on my old Deluxe Reverb.

I also have a swilbox LoveKraft MojoDrive coming in soon.

What amp is that? It's gorgeous. Is that a special made cabinet for it, or did the amp come that way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
TNfootballfan62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 10:36 PM   #20
igotabcrich32
Is Dan

Its a Metropoulos JTM45 (boutique Marshall clones).

I bought the amp like that, but the cabinet was originally made by the owner before me.

Rate This Thread: