Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > Archives Of The Best Threads > Music Theory Archives
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-09-2004, 11:16 PM   #1
casualty01
Here all along

Fortnight Theory Lesson #2 "The Major Scale" Part 2 (Lefty)

Well, Here we are again. another long awaited Theory Lesson. If you are not absolutely certain you know every aspect of all 3 of my previous lessons, please, go refresh before you try and read, learn, absorb and apply this one.

Ok, with that said, please take your seats.

In this lesson, the main focus will be on playing and moving our Major Scale Patterns/Shapes, to all possible keys.

In my last theory lesson, I covered all 7 Patterns for the Major Scale as it applies to the fretboard. All the patterns were given to you in the key of A Major, as the Key of A Major just so happens to line up most perfectly starting from the first possible 6th string pattern, all the way to the last 5th string pattern in the series. Now we're going to take those patterns, and shift them so we're able to play in any other keys.

Now to those of you who are further along, or are more adept at understanding this stuff and perhaps already realized and figured out what I'm talking about while you were doing my last lesson, I say, be patient we'll get to the cooler stuff in a few short weeks. and as easy as this idea I'm going to be presenting today might seem, a lot of people have trouble with it at first. usually just an uncertainty at most.. a "wait.. am I doing this right??" kind of thing. but I hope to put that to rest.

ok, let's get to it...

Total Recall

If you've successfully absorbed and REALLY learned and memorized everything from my last lesson, you'd know that we have 7 forms of Major Scales (and by forms I mean "patterns" that can be physically played on the fretboard)

as I also mention in the previous lesson, all the forms remain the same when you move them to another key. in other words. the shapes don't change, only their locations.

The 7 Forms I gave in the last lesson also only have 3 actual Root Note starting points. 1 on the 6th string, 1 on the 4th string and 1 on the 5th string. "well that's only 3" you say? ....... *cas smacks whoever was thinking that*

if that thought DID cross your mind, please notice the brightly lit exits on either side of this thread and leave now, because it's blatantly clear you didn't give the last lesson a thorough reading.

where as we only have the 3 starting points, the 5th and 6th strings both have 3 separate forms all starting from that 1 starting point on that given string.

so where we movin paw?

In this lesson, we're going to do C Major (no, I'm not going to do 1 scale per lesson ) I'm only going to focus on moving the scales to this one key in order to show you exactly what to do, and after that, it's on you to take it upon yourself to move the scales to ALL keys... yes, that's right, ALL 12.

After this point, we will be using the C Major scale as our reference point. the reason for this (and this will probably be obvious to some if not alot of you) is because in the key of C Major there are no #'s or b's. and it is the starting point in the Circle of 5th's (either the next lesson, or the lesson after that will be on the Circle of 5th's and how it applies to scales, progressions and practicing).

first what we're going to do, is we're going to locate the lowest possible C on the neck. why? because we're going to approach this key the same way we did in A Major....... which is to start at the lowest point on the neck that we can possibly play that key (except for open positions, we'll get to them later) and work our way up the neck.

now when I say lowest I mean Pitch AND Direction...... for example if I said play E on the 12 fret, and then I said "ok, now directionally (up or down) where could you play it lower on the neck?" your answer of course should be "7th fret A string or 2nd fret D string"...... in which then I would reward you by not smacking you.

so, where is the lowest possible C on the neck? (you should know this with barely any thought on your part) and please, actually get the answer before just going ahead to the next part...

got it?

you sure?

ok.. for those of you that said 3rd fret A string, give yourself a cookie.

this is the lowest point on the neck that we can play a C... so, this is where we're going to begin.

now, knowing that this root note is on the 5th string, you need to know which of the forms start on the 5th string, because you have to use one of those 3 forms. if you use one of the 6th string forms, or the 4th string forms, it won't be a C major scale. this may sound obvious to some, but many times I've seen my students go right for that first form i presented to you in the A Major scales lol.

so, which one of the 3 forms can we use to start with?

btw I recommend you actually have the last theory lesson open so you can look at the forms and see which one we could start with and use it to actually think about which ones come next as we go along.

the answer would be the 2nd 5th string form (the one I named 5th string (2,4) )
if you answered the 1st form on the 5th string, well, you're correct, but we're not doing open scales yet, and that scale would have to be played using open strings. we're only doing fretted positions right now)

this position shown here in Fig. 1a...as shown in the Key of A from the last lesson

Fig. 1a
Code:
A Maj. 5th Str. (2,4) 17th 15th 12th 9th 7th 5th 3rd |-----|-----|-----|--4--|-----|--2--|-----|--1--|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----| |-----|-----|-----|--4--|-----|--2--|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----| |-----|-----|-----|--4--|--3--|-----|--1--|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----| |-----|-----|-----|--4--|-----|--2--|--1--|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----| |-----|-----|-----|--4--|-----|--2--|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----| |-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|

is the one we need to start with......now to actually move it to C so we will have the C Major Scale.

the concept? simpley start that shape, on the C (3rd fret A string)

the result, will be ...

Fig. 1b
Code:
C Maj. 5th Str. (2,4) 17th 15th 12th 9th 7th 5th 3rd |-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|--4--|-----|--2--|-----|--1--| |-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|--4--|-----|--2--|-----|-----| |-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|--4--|--3--|-----|--1--|-----| |-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|--4--|-----|--2--|--1--|-----| |-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|--4--|-----|--2--|-----|-----| |-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|

as you can see, it's the exact same shape... just starting from a different root note (btw, I've made all the root notes red since i can't enclose them in circles )

ok... now, considering all the scales lay out in the same exact manner as they did in the last lesson, which form would come next?

hopefully you said the 5th string (1,2,4) form. just like in the the A Major Scale's that I gave to you, the (1,2,4) on the 5th string comes directly after the (2,4) on the 5th string.

so. In A Maj, you have

Fig. 1c
Code:
A Major Scale. 5th string (1,2,4) 17th 15th 12th 9th 7th 5th 3rd |-----|--4--|-----|--2--|-----|--1--|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----| |-----|-----|--3--|--2--|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----| |-----|--4--|-----|--2--|--1--|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----| |-----|--4--|-----|--2--|-----|--1--|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----| |-----|--4--|-----|--2--|-----|--1--|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----| |-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|

for C Major, you have

Fig. 1d
Code:
C Major Scale. 5th string (1,2,4) 17th 15th 12th 9th 7th 5th 3rd |-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|--4--|-----|--2--|-----|--1--|-----|-----| |-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|--3--|--2--|-----|-----|-----|-----| |-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|--4--|-----|--2--|--1--|-----|-----|-----| |-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|--4--|-----|--2--|-----|--1--|-----|-----| |-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|--4--|-----|--2--|-----|--1--|-----|-----| |-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|

Don't be an idiot... click and find out.
Old 04-09-2004, 11:16 PM   #2
casualty01
Here all along

Putting The Pieces Together

as you can see (hopefully ) once again, it's the same exact pattern, just starting on the C, which gives us C Major.

also, you will notice that the patterns appear one after another in C Major as they did in A Major..... first the (2,4) then the (1,2,4)

Figs. 2a
Code:
A Maj. 5th Str. (2,4) 17th 15th 12th 9th 7th 5th 3rd |-----|-----|-----|--4--|-----|--2--|-----|--1--|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----| |-----|-----|-----|--4--|-----|--2--|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----| |-----|-----|-----|--4--|--3--|-----|--1--|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----| |-----|-----|-----|--4--|-----|--2--|--1--|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----| |-----|-----|-----|--4--|-----|--2--|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----| |-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----| A Major Scale. 5th string (1,2,4) 17th 15th 12th 9th 7th 5th 3rd |-----|--4--|-----|--2--|-----|--1--|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----| |-----|-----|--3--|--2--|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----| |-----|--4--|-----|--2--|--1--|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----| |-----|--4--|-----|--2--|-----|--1--|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----| |-----|--4--|-----|--2--|-----|--1--|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----| |-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|

Figs. 2b
Code:
C Maj. 5th Str. (2,4) 17th 15th 12th 9th 7th 5th 3rd |-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|--4--|-----|--2--|-----|--1--| |-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|--4--|-----|--2--|-----|-----| |-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|--4--|--3--|-----|--1--|-----| |-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|--4--|-----|--2--|--1--|-----| |-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|--4--|-----|--2--|-----|-----| |-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----| C Major Scale. 5th string (1,2,4) 17th 15th 12th 9th 7th 5th 3rd |-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|--4--|-----|--2--|-----|--1--|-----|-----| |-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|--3--|--2--|-----|-----|-----|-----| |-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|--4--|-----|--2--|--1--|-----|-----|-----| |-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|--4--|-----|--2--|-----|--1--|-----|-----| |-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|--4--|-----|--2--|-----|--1--|-----|-----| |-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|

"so like... is that it? lolz"

after that last scale (the 5th str. (1,2,4) ) is where the most confusion and misunderstanding occurs.

the order of the scales goes in a kind of circle as it were..... where what seems like the end, is only merely another link in the chain. what i mean is..... at the end, you keep going with the first scale shape you started with.... get me?

if not, maybe this analogy and exmple will clear things up.....

look at a clock..

is any number the end or the beginning? no, not at all..... some might answer "yeah, 12 is the beginning and 11 is the end, then it starts at the beginning again"....... well, as far as how we tell time, yes, technically. but visually, on the clock, there is no beginning or end.. it's just continuous... every number has a number that appears before or after it.

well, it's the same thing with the order of the scale patterns. where one ends, another begins.. ad infinitum.

so, as this last scale we just did (the 5th string 1,2,5) appears as the last scale of all the examples I gave last time, after that, would be the first scale shape again....

what scale shape was the first one in the examples I gave you in the previous lesson?

answer: 6th string (4)

Fig. 3a
Code:
A Major. 6th string (4) 17th 15th 12th 9th 7th 5th 3rd |-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|--4--|--3--|-----|--1--|-----| |-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|--4--|-----|--2--|--1--|-----| |-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|--3--|-----|--1--|-----| |-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|--4--|-----|--2--|-----|--1--|-----| |-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|--4--|--3--|-----|--1--|-----| |-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|--4--|-----|-----|-----|-----|

but what do I mean you play this one after the last pattern which occured on the 12th fret? (im still using the key of A as an example here)

do i mean you go back down to the 5th fret? no, not at all, cause that wouldn't be continuing would it? that'd just be going back to the beginning.

what i mean is..... after the pattern at the 12th fret, you know go to the next A, which occurs on the 6th string 17th fret.
here, I'll show you.

in the last lesson, the last example was the 5th fret 1,2,4

Figs. 3b
Code:
A Major Scale. 5th string (1,2,4) 17th 15th 12th 9th 7th 5th 3rd |-----|--4--|-----|--2--|-----|--1--|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----| |-----|-----|--3--|--2--|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----| |-----|--4--|-----|--2--|--1--|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----| |-----|--4--|-----|--2--|-----|--1--|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----| |-----|--4--|-----|--2--|-----|--1--|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----| |-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|

well, after that, the next pattern is the same one as the first... only now it's one octave above where it was before.
so instead of 5th fret 6th string, it's now at the 17th fret 6th string

Figs. 3c
Code:
A Major. 6th str. (4) 17th 15th 12th 9th 7th 5th 3rd |-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|--4--|--3--|-----|--1--|-----| |-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|--4--|-----|--2--|--1--|-----| |-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|--3--|-----|--1--|-----| |-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|--4--|-----|--2--|-----|--1--|-----| |-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|--4--|--3--|-----|--1--|-----| |-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|--4--|-----|-----|-----|-----|

see how that works?

Old 04-09-2004, 11:17 PM   #3
casualty01
Here all along

so it's the same exact thing for C Major.....

we left off at the 5th str. (1,2,4), so now our next move is going to be to the 6th str. (4). So, where would that be? we need to start the shape on the 6th string, on a C...... where is the C on the 6th string?

8th fret should've been the only thing that entered your mind.

so.. we left off with the 5th str. (1,2,4) on the 3rd fret (C) . and the next one, would be the 6th str. (4) on the 8th fret (C)

Figs. 3d
Code:
C Major Scale. 5th string (1,2,4) 17th 15th 12th 9th 7th 5th 3rd |-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|--4--|-----|--2--|-----|--1--|-----|-----| |-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|--3--|--2--|-----|-----|-----|-----| |-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|--4--|-----|--2--|--1--|-----|-----|-----| |-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|--4--|-----|--2--|-----|--1--|-----|-----| |-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|--4--|-----|--2--|-----|--1--|-----|-----| |-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----| C Major Scale. 6th String (4) 17th 15th 12th 9th 7th 5th 3rd |-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|--4--|--3--|-----|--1--|-----|-----|-----|-----| |-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|--4--|-----|--2--|--1--|-----|-----|-----|-----| |-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|--3--|-----|--1--|-----|-----|-----|-----| |-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|--4--|-----|--2--|-----|--1--|-----|-----|-----|-----| |-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|--4--|--3--|-----|--1--|-----|-----|-----|-----| |-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|--4--|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|

got it? i hope so ......

everything after that is quite obvious........ it just follows the exact same order of patterns that the A Major scales did.

I'm only going to do those 3 Forms and how they're moved to C Major....... the rest are up to you to figure out. which brings us to your assignments for this lesson

Application

1. finish the key of C Major
<ul>
<li> write out the remaining scale shapes for C Major and where they're located on the neck</li>
<li> mark your octaves (i.e. Bold them or something)</li>
</ul>

2. PLAY all your C Major scales.
<ul>
<li>Up</li>
<li>Down</li>
<li>backwards</li>
<ul>
<li>(ie. start at the highest note and play to the lowest)</li>
</ul>
<li>sideways</li>
<ul>
<li>(moving from one pattern to the next in the middle of playing the scale)</li>
</ul>
<li>intervalically</li>
<ul>
<li>3rds</li>
<li>4ths</li>
<li>5ths</li>
<li>etc...</li>
</ul>
</ul>
3. Write out and Practice/Play/Memorize 4 more Keys. the Keys I would like you to do, are......
<ul>
<li>G</li>
<li>D</li>
<li>F</li>
<li>Bb</li>
</ul>

now...remember, when doing these other keys, as with any other scales that you do. do ALL of the positions, and play ALL of them, up and down, from the first to the last form.

Also, it's very important that you remember this... when I say WRITE them out... i do mean WRITE them out..... NOTE NAMES & Patterns. you're in a very sad position if you don't know the notes within any given key that you're in. so, Write out the Notes of the Key, PLUS the 7 Forms of Major for the Key.

you'll be better off, and glad you did. and, if you don't.... well, you'll be very lost come the next couple of lessons......

Thank You.

Cas-

P.S. ANY ........ ANY ... ANY and ALL questions that you might have, PLEASE post them here. if you have a question or are confused about something, then most likely, someone else is too..... so don't be shy, or whatever..... just ask away. and I or any of the other people who know all this stuff already will be more than happy to clear it up for you.

Old 04-10-2004, 09:38 AM   #4
ohdarn323
Restlessly. Cheater.

Wow.

It makes sense now. I have a bunch of stuff to do but then I'll go over this sometime this afternoon probably

Cheers, Doug
Old 04-11-2004, 09:16 AM   #5
Daveo
Grand

Good job doing this for (those goddamn) lefties!

Now more people will progress.
Old 04-14-2004, 05:20 PM   #6
NicktheGreek
El Bastardo

Cheers Cas, nice to see you're so considerate!
Old 04-15-2004, 06:21 PM   #7
Leno
UG Newbie

call me a dumbass, but why is a lefty thing u got here, i can see the fretboard is reversed?
Old 04-16-2004, 01:26 AM   #8
Snyper
Warm and Fuzzy King

dumbass
its for the lefties of course
try learning righthanded using lefty diagrams...will confuse the **** out of you
so its only fair that those freaks dont have to learn using the normal right handed way

Rate This Thread: