Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old Today, 01:20 PM   #1
sashki
Look mum, no brakes!
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: at home
You can't love someone until you love yourself

What does this mean?

Does it mean that you're unable to love someone else?
Or that you shouldn't love someone else because you'll use them as a crutch for your insecurities?
The way you feel about yourself is completely different to the way you feel about a romantic partner or friend or family member, so how can you compare the two?

I hear this platitude often but I don't understand what it's supposed to mean.
__________________
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
Bass build 2014
sashki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:22 PM   #2
EyeNon15
UnBanned
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Cool people don't do well in relationships
EyeNon15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:27 PM   #3
H4T3BR33D3R
Flying High
 
H4T3BR33D3R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
For me, if you're a miserable sob and hate your life you'll probably make them miserable too. Either from constant whinging, being a fucking debbie downer or just bringing them down in general. I want to do well, be happy and inspire people to do the same. If you're just a sad fuck, it gets wearing and people get tired of it.


So for me its not literally "you cant love somebody until you love yourself". Its more "you will probably be fucking annoying to be around if you don't love yourself thus making relationships harder."
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelfox
my mom and i went to a furry con and on the second day she said she didn't come and pay money to go see dumb shit.


Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
H4T3BR33D3R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:47 PM   #4
StewieSwan
Decent User
 
StewieSwan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
just things 19-year-old moms post on facebook
__________________



Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikillintel
LoL , you think you're so smart, cunning, clever, forum swagger.



Quote:
Originally Posted by yope
If I were going to medical school I would learn all I could about treatment of the neck bones.
StewieSwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:48 PM   #5
slapsymcdougal
UG Bored King
 
slapsymcdougal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
It means have a wank before you go on a date.
__________________
show
slapsymcdougal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:49 PM   #6
TobusRex
Tab Contributor
 
TobusRex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
It means one should master the fine art of masturbation.
TobusRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:54 PM   #7
dPrimmy
Resident Noob
 
dPrimmy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapsymcdougal
It means have a wank before you go on a date.

This. Exactly this.


or


I've had the semi-sincere pleasure of watching a large number of people hit the 7 year point in their relationships recently. When their sig other either decides to leave them for greener pastures or opts to get caught pursuing greener pastures - the individual content with the shade of green in their own pasture closely characterizes a cat in socks walking on a sheet of ice. They're awkward, they don't know what THEY like to do, and they've placed the interests of someone else ahead of their own personal interests.

To me, this says that an individual should be knowledgeable of their own desires, ambitions, interests, traits, etc. at a level where they're incapable of losing their personal identity while chasing ass.
__________________
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance - Confucius
dPrimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:03 PM   #8
whywefight
~I'm not ****in around~
 
whywefight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: I don't care where just far
it means melancholia sucks that's what it means

and also that if you have a low self-esteem, you're far more likely to get caught in a relationship that's wrong for you
Quote:
Originally Posted by H4T3BR33D3R at #33984683
For me, if you're a miserable sob and hate your life you'll probably make them miserable too. Either from constant whinging, being a fucking debbie downer or just bringing them down in general. I want to do well, be happy and inspire people to do the same. If you're just a sad fuck, it gets wearing and people get tired of it.


So for me its not literally "you cant love somebody until you love yourself". Its more "you will probably be fucking annoying to be around if you don't love yourself thus making relationships harder."

you sound fun at parties
whywefight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:05 PM   #9
chrismendiola
wah_riff.mp3
 
chrismendiola's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Upto

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapsymcdougal
It means have a wank before you go on a date.

Beat me to it. I'm beating myself over this.
chrismendiola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:06 PM   #10
slapsymcdougal
UG Bored King
 
slapsymcdougal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismendiola
Beat me to it. I'm beating myself over this.

Don't beat yourself up over this.

Or at least break eye contact with me and wait until I leave the room.
__________________
show
slapsymcdougal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:09 PM   #11
H4T3BR33D3R
Flying High
 
H4T3BR33D3R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by whywefight at #33984751
it means melancholia sucks that's what it means

and also that if you have a low self-esteem, you're far more likely to get caught in a relationship that's wrong for you

you sound fun at parties


Thanks. I tend to be cause I'm not some fucking sadboi cunt
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelfox
my mom and i went to a furry con and on the second day she said she didn't come and pay money to go see dumb shit.


Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
H4T3BR33D3R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:17 PM   #12
k.lainad
we all float down here...
 
k.lainad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
relationships can make you like yourself better though ...

like 2 suicidal people on their own are depressed, but together they feel complete
like the opposite of opposites attract, chemistry...

i don't really agree though, i don't think a relationship will be impacted negatively if one person is suicidal, hates themselves, think low of themselves

so many "happily married" people are closeted-suicidal, closeted-depressed
and even their partner has no idea of this
may not be a very healthy relationship, but it certainly isn't wrong
__________________
just posted a new track from my bands EP check it out
soundcloud.com/95dank
k.lainad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:18 PM   #13
slapsymcdougal
UG Bored King
 
slapsymcdougal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.lainad
relationships can make you like yourself better though ...

like 2 suicidal people on their own are depressed, but together they feel complete
like the opposite of opposites attract, chemistry...


i don't really agree though, i don't think a relationship will be impacted negatively if one person is suicidal, hates themselves, think low of themselves

so many "happily married" people are closeted-suicidal, closeted-depressed
and even their partner has no idea of this
may not be a very healthy relationship, but it certainly isn't wrong

Or at least they can help each other off themselves and the world will be down 2 miserable bastards.
__________________
show
slapsymcdougal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:18 PM   #14
H4T3BR33D3R
Flying High
 
H4T3BR33D3R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapsymcdougal at #33984790
Or at least they can help each other off themselves and the world will be down 2 miserable bastards.


__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelfox
my mom and i went to a furry con and on the second day she said she didn't come and pay money to go see dumb shit.


Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
H4T3BR33D3R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:19 PM   #15
dPrimmy
Resident Noob
 
dPrimmy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapsymcdougal
Or at least they can help each other off themselves and the world will be down 2 miserable bastards.


Remember, kids... if you're going to off yourself - get someone else to do it for you. Suicide as a reason for death negates most life insurance policies.
__________________
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance - Confucius
dPrimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:51 PM   #16
EyeNon15
UnBanned
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
The dual suicide pact can go wrong as shown in the walking dead
EyeNon15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:17 PM   #17
viennasunsetb
Registered User
 
viennasunsetb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
viennasunsetb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:24 PM   #18
Fat Lard
.
 
Fat Lard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: bolt country
Quote:
Originally Posted by sashki
What does this mean?


It's a meme, brought to you by the folks that embody the "misery loves company" meme
__________________
2016 CHAMPIONS

They are this lightning, they are this frenzy.

Fat Lard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:23 PM   #19
JamSessionFreak
King of the divant
 
JamSessionFreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Slovenia
i've literally never seen 'self-love' talked about in a way that wasn't cringey or stupid


that's all i have to say about that
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trowzaa
he had a meltdown, said he was taking me to court, questioned my ability to purchase real chicken and asked for a ban
JamSessionFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:32 PM   #20
JackSaints
Titleless Peasant
 
JackSaints's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: The South of England
TS, what it means is that whenever you are interested in a girl you should let her know that you are the most fantastic person in human history and that if she doesn't feel the same way she's not worth your time
__________________
I have nothing important to say
JackSaints is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:35 PM.

Forum Archives / About / TOS / Advertise with us / Customer Support / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2016
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.