Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old Today, 03:41 AM   #1
Eastwinn
you'd prefer an astronaut

Michigan to begin drug tested welfare-recipients.

Quote:
LANSING Gov. Rick Snyder signed legislation today that creates a drug-testing program for adult welfare recipients who are suspected of using drugs.

The Republican-backed proposals, House Bill 4118 and Senate Bill 275, were among several bills approved by Snyder. The one-year pilot program will be implemented in three counties that have not yet been determined.

Under the program, welfare recipients or applicants suspected of drug use will be required to take a substance abuse test. Refusal to take the test will result in being ineligible for benefits for six months.

A positive drug test would lead to referrals to treatment programs. If an individual refuses to participate in the program or fails to submit to periodic substance abuse testing required under the program, their assistance will be terminated. Benefits can be restored after a person passes a substance abuse test.

"We want to remove the barriers that are keeping people from getting good jobs, supporting their families and living independently," Snyder said in a press release. "This pilot program is intended to help ensure recipients get the wrap-around services they need to overcome drug addiction and lead successful lives. We'll then have opportunity to assess effectiveness and outcomes."

http://on.freep.com/1ATceND

what do you think of this?
Old Today, 03:46 AM   #2
Rossenrot
of Prison and Palace

Sounds costly.

After Rick Snyder's anti-Tesla law though, he can thoroughly go fuck himself.

favorite song atm v.3
Rossenrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:52 AM   #3
So-Cal
joyeux noel

just seems like an excuse to cut peoples benefits whilst at the same time pandering to the anti drugs lobby
So-Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:52 AM   #4
ErikLensherr
zoppity2meet u

It's stupid, counterproductive tea party lawmaking scapegoating the poor and wasting money.

edit: unless that's a gay thing
Quote:
Originally Posted by 457undead
is saying "Hiiiii" to a girl flirting?
ErikLensherr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:52 AM   #5
snipelfritz
UG's Beautiful Butterfly

Its stupid and a proven waste of taxpayer money, but it gets the stupid, reactionary Republican vote. They don't believe in experts or statistics.
Old Today, 04:01 AM   #6
MeGaDeth2314
Pudding time, children

People should just stop being poor, then they wont need welfare lolz
Old Today, 04:02 AM   #7
i_lovemetallica
My username is not true

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipelfritz
Its stupid and a proven waste of taxpayer money, but it gets the stupid, reactionary Republican vote. They don't believe in experts or statistics.

On it's face, it seems like a good idea, but I'm really curious as to what the downsides are.....care to enlighten me? I'm genuinely interested, because there's been similar suggestions made in Australia recently
I was raised on Winnie the Pooh. There's multiple vhs tapes somewhere in the world where I appear totally nude wearing only honey yellow bear ears and a red T-shirt singing the theme song to that show
i_lovemetallica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:06 AM   #8
Fat Lard
XxTeatotaleRxX

I just don't understand why we even have to fund welfare and drugs. We should cut all funding on both IMO
Old Today, 04:09 AM   #9
i_lovemetallica
My username is not true

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Lard
I just don't understand why we even have to fund welfare and drugs. We should cut all funding on both IMO

Welfare is definitely a cornerstone of civilised society. The ability for a Government to care for it's citizens whilst in times for need (e.g. Unemployment, Illness) is definitely a good thing IMO. I would think that perhaps more needs to be done to weed out the dole bludgers and the people who rort the system.
I was raised on Winnie the Pooh. There's multiple vhs tapes somewhere in the world where I appear totally nude wearing only honey yellow bear ears and a red T-shirt singing the theme song to that show
i_lovemetallica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:10 AM   #10
Fat Lard
XxTeatotaleRxX

PS Gov Rick Scott already did this shit with his drug-test-comp count wife. It didn't work out PS, so gtso of here w/ ur 3 undetermined cuntries that do not matter
Old Today, 04:11 AM   #11
Fat Lard
XxTeatotaleRxX

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_lovemetallica
Welfare is definitely a cornerstone of civilised society. The ability for a Government to care for it's citizens whilst in times for need (e.g. Unemployment, Illness) is definitely a good thing IMO. I would think that perhaps more needs to be done to weed out the dole bludgers and the people who rort the system.

Gr8 analysis m8 keep it up
Old Today, 04:17 AM   #12
JustRooster
Organ Donor

I dunno, initially I'm really against it because we don't need any more laws attacking the poor. However, if you're poor enough that you need my tax money for it, you probably shouldn't be spending it on illegal stuff. I'm even pro-legalization of weed, but if you can't just not smoke weed for a few months until you get a job and get off welfare, maybe you're just dumb enough to lose it.

The law's more expensive than the money it'll save finding abusers and cutting them off, which is the biggest reason it shouldn't even be considered. I don't really know how this is a Left or a Right issue, either. Why did this thing become so partisan?
Love is blind, and probably missing a few other sense, too.

JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:23 AM   #13
bradulator
new sincerity

I think they should just get rid of all of the welfare programs and instead give every citizen a basic monthly stipend (adjusted for employment, children, etc.) that they can use for whatever they need throughout the month.

Vote Brad.
bradulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:32 AM   #14
Fat Lard
XxTeatotaleRxX

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradulator
I think they should just get rid of all of the welfare programs and instead give every citizen a basic monthly stipend (adjusted for employment, children, etc.) that they can use for whatever they need throughout the month.

Vote Brad.

What are you, Pedro? We need effort in the clan - that would never work.
Old Today, 04:34 AM   #15
snipelfritz
UG's Beautiful Butterfly

Old Today, 04:48 AM   #16
bradulator
new sincerity

Pot

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_income

The Conservative Case for a Guaranteed Basic Income

#VoteBrad2016

---

As for the drug testing stuff I think the intent behind it is good but it seems futile and unnecessary. It's understandable that nobody likes people to use their tax dollars for things that are illegal or recreational. But such is life.
bradulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:57 AM   #17
ErikLensherr
zoppity2meet u

How about we round up all the bankers at the big time Wall Street fat cat banks who took bailout money and test them for drugs. OH WAIT THEY'RE RICH AND THIS IS AMERIKKA, LAND OF THE (NOTHING IS) FREE (NOT EVEN JUSTICE) #RonPaul

edit: unless that's a gay thing
Quote:
Originally Posted by 457undead
is saying "Hiiiii" to a girl flirting?
ErikLensherr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:02 AM   #18
Fat Lard
XxTeatotaleRxX

We should drug test anyone that gets money from the people (except for the legistlators/job creators)
Old Today, 05:15 AM   #19
Burgery
i cant remember

we should abolish drug tests because they are immoral
Burgery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:28 AM   #20
Guitardude19
UG's Mad Scientist

Didn't Florida try this a few years ago and it turned out that only a few percent of welfare recipients tested positive and like 98% of them were drug free, and it ended up costing the taxpayers a load of money.

Oh and the Florida senator(?) who pushed for the bill part owned or had shares in the drug testing firm... So the whole thing was a shady corrupt scam to make him rich and win him votes...

Leave the poor alone. I grew up in a poor family who needed the welfare state for 6 years before my parents could pick themselves up and not one of them were using illegal drugs. My old man did hit the booze hard though which didn't help, but we are all gravy now.

Christianity: Virgin Birth, Water into wine; Its like Harry Potter but it causes genocide and bad folk music.

Sat in a lab, curing diseases.
Guitardude19 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: