User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-18-2013, 02:58 AM   #17341
_KurtCobain_77
All Praise Lord Emery

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylerjames13
^ Yeah I live in Manitoba, up North a bit.

this car was just calling my name man! It was previously my boss' car, and I asked him if he ever wanted to sell it, I'd buy it. And just like that, it was mine!

For a first car, it's not that bad

And winter friendly car? Pssh. Who needs wheels during the winter

Plus once I graduate, I'm planning on getting the hell out of here and going to the city or something rather than this little rural bushtown.

Those are all words I said when I bought my first car ....three years later, I sold it and bought a WRX because I couldn't stand having to bum rides or left to the schedule of public transit.

Like gaming? Like podcasts? http://www.dragonscrewgaming.com/
_KurtCobain_77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:06 AM   #17342
skylerjames13
eGraham is stupidbuttface

Quote:
Originally Posted by _KurtCobain_77
Those are all words I said when I bought my first car ....three years later, I sold it and bought a WRX because I couldn't stand having to bum rides or left to the schedule of public transit.

Well every person that buys their first car has to do so on an impulse, and do it stupidly!

It's k though, I'm gonna love the shit out of this car. It's sooooo nice.

Since I'm pretty new to cars, anyone have any tips on maintaining the car? I'm not a mechanic and I don't know shit about cars so I obviously can't fix the engine or anything lol (though I'd like to learn to) but basic things would be wonderful.

skylerjames13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:12 AM   #17343
_KurtCobain_77
All Praise Lord Emery

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylerjames13
Well every person that buys their first car has to do so on an impulse, and do it stupidly!

It's k though, I'm gonna love the shit out of this car. It's sooooo nice.

Since I'm pretty new to cars, anyone have any tips on maintaining the car? I'm not a mechanic and I don't know shit about cars so I obviously can't fix the engine or anything lol (though I'd like to learn to) but basic things would be wonderful.

It's true. After the first test drive of my 240, I fell in love and had to have it.

As for maintenance, learn how to change your oil, brake pads, coolant. If you don't know already, going through how to change your tire before the situation arises is a good idea.

Old 01-18-2013, 03:30 AM   #17344
Prototype4342
UG's Duke

Jelly of your turd gen. I know that "horrible winter car" feel. Hell, mine won't hook up when it's wet out, and I live in Washington.

"Social correctness has traditionally had nothing whatever to do with reason, logic, or physics. In fact, in England it is generally considered socially incorrect to know stuff or think about things."
-Douglas Adams
Prototype4342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:42 PM   #17345
skylerjames13

Quote:
Originally Posted by _KurtCobain_77
It's true. After the first test drive of my 240, I fell in love and had to have it.

As for maintenance, learn how to change your oil, brake pads, coolant. If you don't know already, going through how to change your tire before the situation arises is a good idea.

Yeah, I'm going to have to learn how to do that stuff. Changing oil and windshield wiper fluid should be easy enough. Brake pads, I'll have to learn. Coolant should be easy. Changing a tire should be easy enough too. Hopefully all goes well lol

Old 01-18-2013, 12:44 PM   #17346
skylerjames13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prototype4342
Jelly of your turd gen. I know that "horrible winter car" feel. Hell, mine won't hook up when it's wet out, and I live in Washington.

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g.../_DSC2632dfdspg

Pretty car.

>horrible winter car feel
>Washington

nigga pls.

nah i'm kidding

Old 01-18-2013, 01:02 PM   #17347
Seref
Gob****e

Location: Miami, Florida, United States of America, North American Continent, Earth, Terrestrial Planets, Solar System, Local Cluster, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe, Multiverse, Omniverse, Eternity
It was 58 F (14.4C) in Miami today. Coldest day of the winter. Envy me.

Guitar Build Fund: $I've lost count / ~$925.00

show
Seref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:36 PM   #17348
skylerjames13

That's so warm ;___;

Right now it's -30*C, which actually isn't too cold. The wind chill though makes it like -40 or so, so that's chilly

Old 01-18-2013, 01:42 PM   #17349
skylerjames13

Anyways, I really wanna learn a bit more about cars and engines, and whatnot. How would I go about learning about that stuff? I live in a really small town, and I go to a very small school and there aren't any courses for auto mechanics kinda stuff. I'll be graduating this year though.

Just learning about how to fix minor engine problems and such. That kinda stuff

Old 01-18-2013, 02:39 PM   #17350
CaptDin
Rebel Without A Pause

^School of hard knocks and the Internet. Just Google stuff like "how to change oil" or whatever, and you can pretty much teach yourself whatever you need to know.

And if you live in a small town, there's bound to be some Dukes of Hazzard Cooter-esque mechanic who can show you a thing or two, right?
CaptDin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:54 PM   #17351
Acϵ♠
UG Board King

there's almost guaranteed a forum specific to your make and model. those resources are huge for learning new things, and the communities are almost always patient and helpful.
Bitches be Crazy.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Acϵ♠ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:07 PM   #17352
skylerjames13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptDin
^School of hard knocks and the Internet. Just Google stuff like "how to change oil" or whatever, and you can pretty much teach yourself whatever you need to know.

And if you live in a small town, there's bound to be some Dukes of Hazzard Cooter-esque mechanic who can show you a thing or two, right?

I live far up North, not in the South

We're closer to this

rather than this

So I can't really find anyone to teach me :/

Kinda sucks cause I'm pretty open to learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acϵ♠
there's almost guaranteed a forum specific to your make and model. those resources are huge for learning new things, and the communities are almost always patient and helpful.

If that's the case, I should try and look into that

Last edited by skylerjames13 : 01-18-2013 at 06:09 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:35 PM   #17353
OperaIsNotMusic
Banned

I drove my friends ferarri to school yesterday. It was amazing. Cant wait until i my own car and a driver liscence
OperaIsNotMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:34 AM   #17354
Acϵ♠
UG Board King

Quote:
Originally Posted by OperaIsNotMusic
I drove my friends ferarri to school yesterday. It was amazing. Cant wait until i my own car and a driver liscence

Yeah, and i drove my 7 wheeled bentley to beyonce's house to play naked twister with her and kelly rowland
Bitches be Crazy.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:50 AM   #17355
Seref
Gob****e

Location: Miami, Florida, United States of America, North American Continent, Earth, Terrestrial Planets, Solar System, Local Cluster, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe, Multiverse, Omniverse, Eternity
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prototype4342
Any performance mods to the 3-door?

IMO, it's an Astra. Go for the 5-door and have the practicality, since it's never really going to be sporty anyway.

Just checked it out at the dealer. No performance mods, but the 3 door has the full premium trim which is nice. Leather sport steering wheel, leather wrapped shift knob, aluminum pedals, leather interior, etc etc. Some slight paint chipping near the wheel wells and front bumper. It being a used car I would have had it touched up/color coded and detailed after buying anyway.

I think I can talk the dealer down another ~$1500 'cause of all the aftermarket shit. Need to pay a guy to undo the wheel paint and refinish it in stock silver, professionally remove the tint, etc etc. The stereo upgrade is nice 'cause I would have done that myself anyway.

I'll hopefully be checking out the 5 door tomorrow. It's the complete base trim, not even steering wheel audio controls. I like some pictures I've seen of slightly modded white 5 doors but I doubt I could talk the dealer down as far.

show

Last edited by Seref : 01-19-2013 at 11:53 AM.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:47 PM   #17356
Acϵ♠
UG Board King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seref
Just checked it out at the dealer. No performance mods, but the 3 door has the full premium trim which is nice. Leather sport steering wheel, leather wrapped shift knob, aluminum pedals, leather interior, etc etc. Some slight paint chipping near the wheel wells and front bumper. It being a used car I would have had it touched up/color coded and detailed after buying anyway.

I think I can talk the dealer down another ~$1500 'cause of all the aftermarket shit. Need to pay a guy to undo the wheel paint and refinish it in stock silver, professionally remove the tint, etc etc. The stereo upgrade is nice 'cause I would have done that myself anyway.

I'll hopefully be checking out the 5 door tomorrow. It's the complete base trim, not even steering wheel audio controls. I like some pictures I've seen of slightly modded white 5 doors but I doubt I could talk the dealer down as far.

if there's aftermarket parts, there's a strong chance they'll sell it as-is...in which case good luck knocking that much off the price unless they realllly want to get rid of it. If it's going for $6000, i highly doubt you'll get it for less than $4900, and even that's a stretch. Why would you remove the tint...? And just buy new wheels, which would likely be as much or cheaper than having them professionally redone. The dealership knows this, so you won't be able to use it as leverage unless you're dealing with a serious dumbass. Realistically, what they would do is counter offer you something like this: instead of $6000, we'll do $5500 and we'll remove the plastidip from the wheels and make them good as new. Also, i cannot stress this enough, a 2008 car with the full lux trim would NOT be as cheap as $6000 if there wasn't a sketchy history behind it. Demand to see the vehicle history, like a Carfax or something. I wouldn't be surprised to see it was in an accident over $10,000.

People think car salesmen are idiots. They're cunning sharks just waiting to prey on people who don't really know what they're doing. As a former car salesman, you're going to be disappointed by the deal you get.
Bitches be Crazy.

Last edited by Acϵ♠ : 01-19-2013 at 02:49 PM.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:37 PM   #17357
Seref
Gob****e

Well the car's ridiculously cheap to begin with because GM dissolved Saturn, so the cars have absolutely no resale value. They know parts and service will be harder to come by. Every Saturn in the city is going for cheap.

Admittedly, the carfax sketched me out a bit. No mention of scheduled maintenance and the DMV reported the car color as blue instead of black.

show
Old 01-19-2013, 05:54 PM   #17358
_KurtCobain_77
All Praise Lord Emery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seref
Admittedly, the carfax sketched me out a bit. No mention of scheduled maintenance and the DMV reported the car color as blue instead of black.

Stay the fuck away

Old 01-19-2013, 06:01 PM   #17359
Seref
Gob****e

Yeah that's what I was thinking after seeing the carfax at the dealer. Guess I'll settle for the fatty 5 door and pretty it up myself. Or there's still a 2004 Golf on the table.

If the car was repainted they did a hell of a job, though. After I saw the report I looked everywhere for a sign of a repaint and didn't find one. And typically if you were repainting the car to hide something, you'd match the original color since it's easier and cheaper than a full change of color. But still sketchy.

What really confuses me is the lack of maintenance on the report. It's not just no scheduled maintenance, it's nothing at all. The only entries on the carfax are the DMV tag entries (saying the car is blue), and then at the very end it says the dealer acquired the car and had it detailed. No service records at all. Seeing as how it's got 100k miles on it in 4 years, I doubt it's never been serviced.

I asked the sales guy about the weird carfax and he didn't understand it either. He was pretty adamant that the car was well maintained and the title was clean. It wasn't a small used car lot either, it's a big ****ing Maroone Cheverolet dealer. Still, red flags.

show

Last edited by Seref : 01-19-2013 at 06:54 PM.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:44 PM   #17360
Somekid94
Dingus

Okay, so I want to modify my Outback. I understand this will take a lot of time and money. I'm trying to write up a list of stuff to get so I can save up. I want to lower it, put new rims on it and put an exhaust system on it.

The problem? I have no freaking clue where to get a decent sounding exhaust for it, and how to lower it. Any pointers?
Somekid94 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: